October 30, 2014 | 1495 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Poison

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2008 1:35:00 PM More reviews by bandabug

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

O.K., I give this 3 lippies due to the fact that, while I don't like it, it's an original fragrance and lots of ladies adore it. I agree with others who think that it belongs in a 1980's time capsule. My best friend in high school wore this scent and one whiff of Poison takes me back to the days of big hair, Guess jeans, and ugly costume jewelry. It's pretty potent stuff and certainly not for shy girls.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2008 7:22:00 AM More reviews by KAllenVA

Maybe it's my age speaking, but I adore this perfume. I received this as a gift when I was 17, back in 1987. My entire wardrobe smelled of Poison. My chemistry can pull this one off. This is boozy on me, smells of berries, grapes, anise, a heavy perfume but when applied with a light hand it is bewitching. What man between 35-40 wouldn't love this? I'm sure it conjures memories of their youth. Girls with big hair, short skirts, hair band music, cold winter nights making out for hours. No wonder it's a man magnet! Every man I've ever known has loved this.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2007 2:31:00 AM More reviews by moondogfluffy

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This has a quality that gives me an instant headache. It reeks of the 80's and makes me think of Joan Collins in shoulder pads and big hair. Very dated, not a classic in my opinion. Its not a "bad" smell per se, its just so incredibly strong that it gives me a blinding headache.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2007 11:19:00 PM More reviews by dilllll90

I learned to like this product for as long as i can remember, I think this perfume is out there for very long and now most stores doesn't bother to put it into their stock. Pure, hypnotic and the really bad-scented midnight is novelty to me and nothing can even be compared to it.
I usually buy it from ebay and most them ended up being shipped from France. I bought this perfume for as least 5 3.4 bottles for the last 7-8 years. I'd never use it on myself but my mom wears it and only it. She doesn't even bother with N5. She loves the scent and although the eau de toilette is not as long lasting as the parfume, actually it last a lot longer than most toilette stuff, her closet smelled like poison and her clothes smelled like it always and even her dry cleaners noticed the smell and commented on it. Her nicely pressed coat remained smelling like poison days after dry cleaning. Now you get the idea how enduring it is.
initially I don't like poison because i don't like anything feminine, I prefer cool fresh green smell, but as i stated, I smelled it so often I learned to like it. I sometimes spray a little over pillow and room just to remind me the scent of Mother if I live far away from her.
anyway, dior perfume has several highly debatable ingredient, this one in particular has Phalates, defined by french perfume industry, supposed to be harmful, but I never bothered to tell my mom and you know, after 20+years of usage, who cares. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2007 3:26:00 PM More reviews by leener

I will say "to each his own" but, this can be an excellent fragrance. With this perfume "less is more"; you do have to be respectful of those around you. I feel this fragrance is best described as a berry(only slightly sweet), and yes some amber with a peppery kick to the end. It's lasting power is absolutely excellent. Because of the strength, I recommend spraying it on your person vs. your clothes. When sprayed on your clothes, it doesn't get to evolve as it should and can be overwhelming. It is one of my favorites, and I am trying hard to find the esprit de parfum vs the edt.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2007 6:54:00 PM More reviews by potionsandlotions

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sorry, but one spritz of the EDT is not enough for me. I love this too much so I wear it when I am home alone or when I know I won't be in enclosed spaces with anyone. I wouldn't want to choke anyone to death. The EdP is glorious too, but it has less sillage, and it doesn't have the Opoponax note that I love so much in the EDT. The Espirit de Parfum is spicier and plumier-- and gorgeous. If you love the EDT, you should try the EdP(Espirit de Parfum). It comes in handy for those occasions when nothing but Poison will do but you don't want to walk around in a cloud of Poison Sillage. I prefer the EDT, personally.

The EDT is Opoponax and sweet berries to my nose. The EdP is honeyed berries, plum, spices and amber. The EdP is richer and wears closer to the skin. The EdT can be a dangerous weapon if over-applied.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2007 2:41:00 PM More reviews by BlackAmberMoon

For those who think Poison is too strong, it is worth seeking out the Esprit de Parfum version. It comes in a small, round bottle with a glass stopper - no spray. It's a totally different experience than the EDT. Just a couple of drops, and it's magic. I think the reason so many people dislike it is because many women overuse it. It can be glorious under the right circumstances, and men love it on me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2007 5:17:00 PM More reviews by MillicentWinds

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I spent a few hours walking around downtown, then I spritzed this on. Then I walked about some more.

For those who refer to this as a man magnet...

It's uncanny. Men would turn around and stare or linger by me, whereas a few hours before this did not happen.

Of course, I do not pick fragrances solely based on their ability to elicit attention from strange men.

This scent is lovely. Perhaps my nose is impaired but I do not find it too strong. It's rather dreamy. And sweet smelling, but not sickly. But with a bit of bite to it, like me ;)

It also smells familiar. Like I'd known it before and was coming home to it now, ahahaha.

My intuition was telling me that this would be the scent for me and it is. This is the only fragrance I will buy from now on, none other compare.

I'm reviewing the toilette as I could not locate the parfum in my area.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2007 8:45:00 AM More reviews by pcjo

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Worked next to a gal who wore this all the time --- gave me an asthma attack.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2007 8:09:00 AM More reviews by silvertips

This has to be the ultimate 'Marmite' of the perfume world - you either love it or hate it! And I hate it. Really heady and overpowering - I had the misfortune of still living at home with my mum when she went through her 'Poison' phase when it first came out. I would have to cross the street if someone came the other way wearing it, it gives me blinding headaches.