Dior Poison

3.4

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I remember my mom wearing this in the early 90's. I always loved it, but as a teen I was into sweet powdery fragrances. Now that im on the cusp of 30, my tastes have changed. Poison is my all time favorite perfume. I dont wear it in the summer(as its too overpowering in the heat) but that still leaves a lot of wear throughout the year.

Im not good at describing scents, but there is a hint of grape or wine to it. Its a rich, dark, intoxication scent. So sexy. My husband cant decide if this or Pure White Linen is his favorite(2 totally diff smells..go figure). I get compliments on this all the time by men and women. Its fabulous.

on 2/12/2008 10:22:00 PM

I sampled this personally for the first time in my life last week. Oddly enough, I am not overly familiar with this scent though it was apparently super-popular in the 80's (which I was approximately 1-10 years old then) so maybe I just dont remember. This stuff is STRONG You dont need me to tell you, everyone else is...but the thing is that I LIKE strong fragrances. So for this to be too strong to me is an achievement. I must admit though that I do like it. Perhaps I would purchase and wear...but it would be such a hassle to have to get someone else every time I wanted to wear this so they could spray it in my direction from several feet away. I assume this is the only way I could wear this without offending the general public more than I generally feel comfortable with. It is dark, mysterious, spicy. For the lady who wants to be noticed, not for a scaredy-cat like me. Definately not for everyone.

on 2/8/2008 7:29:00 AM

this is personally not my scent but my mum wears it and it toatally suits her and smells divine!!! so yes i would buy it again for her!!! x

on 2/2/2008 10:33:00 PM

I was in high school from 1985-1989 so Poison brings back lots of memories for me. I never wore it, but one of my closest friends did, and she wore too much of it. (or perhaps it always smells like one is wearing too much since it's so strong?). Now that 20 years has passed, I think I can objectively say that Poison is a classic perfume. Yes....it conjures up memories of big hair, tight guess jeans, ugly costume jewelry and glam rock band members in spandex....(or specifically David Lee Roth in ass-less leather chaps) but if you can let all of that go...Poison is in a class by itself. I don't wear Poison. Once in awhile I wear Hypnotic Poison (totally different fragrance). But I respect Poison and can understand how many women (and men) love it.

on 1/22/2008 1:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

O.K., I give this 3 lippies due to the fact that, while I don't like it, it's an original fragrance and lots of ladies adore it. I agree with others who think that it belongs in a 1980's time capsule. My best friend in high school wore this scent and one whiff of Poison takes me back to the days of big hair, Guess jeans, and ugly costume jewelry. It's pretty potent stuff and certainly not for shy girls.

on 1/1/2008 7:22:00 AM

Maybe it's my age speaking, but I adore this perfume. I received this as a gift when I was 17, back in 1987. My entire wardrobe smelled of Poison. My chemistry can pull this one off. This is boozy on me, smells of berries, grapes, anise, a heavy perfume but when applied with a light hand it is bewitching. What man between 35-40 wouldn't love this? I'm sure it conjures memories of their youth. Girls with big hair, short skirts, hair band music, cold winter nights making out for hours. No wonder it's a man magnet! Every man I've ever known has loved this.

on 12/26/2007 2:31:00 AM

This has a quality that gives me an instant headache. It reeks of the 80's and makes me think of Joan Collins in shoulder pads and big hair. Very dated, not a classic in my opinion. Its not a "bad" smell per se, its just so incredibly strong that it gives me a blinding headache.

on 12/8/2007 11:19:00 PM

I learned to like this product for as long as i can remember, I think this perfume is out there for very long and now most stores doesn't bother to put it into their stock. Pure, hypnotic and the really bad-scented midnight is novelty to me and nothing can even be compared to it.
I usually buy it from ebay and most them ended up being shipped from France. I bought this perfume for as least 5 3.4 bottles for the last 7-8 years. I'd never use it on myself but my mom wears it and only it. She doesn't even bother with N5. She loves the scent and although the eau de toilette is not as long lasting as the parfume, actually it last a lot longer than most toilette stuff, her closet smelled like poison and her clothes smelled like it always and even her dry cleaners noticed the smell and commented on it. Her nicely pressed coat remained smelling like poison days after dry cleaning. Now you get the idea how enduring it is.
initially I don't like poison because i don't like anything feminine, I prefer cool fresh green smell, but as i stated, I smelled it so often I learned to like it. I sometimes spray a little over pillow and room just to remind me the scent of Mother if I live far away from her.
anyway, dior perfume has several highly debatable ingredient, this one in particular has Phalates, defined by french perfume industry, supposed to be harmful, but I never bothered to tell my mom and you know, after 20+years of usage, who cares. continued >>

on 11/23/2007 3:26:00 PM

I will say "to each his own" but, this can be an excellent fragrance. With this perfume "less is more"; you do have to be respectful of those around you. I feel this fragrance is best described as a berry(only slightly sweet), and yes some amber with a peppery kick to the end. It's lasting power is absolutely excellent. Because of the strength, I recommend spraying it on your person vs. your clothes. When sprayed on your clothes, it doesn't get to evolve as it should and can be overwhelming. It is one of my favorites, and I am trying hard to find the esprit de parfum vs the edt.

Sorry, but one spritz of the EDT is not enough for me. I love this too much so I wear it when I am home alone or when I know I won't be in enclosed spaces with anyone. I wouldn't want to choke anyone to death. The EdP is glorious too, but it has less sillage, and it doesn't have the Opoponax note that I love so much in the EDT. The Espirit de Parfum is spicier and plumier-- and gorgeous. If you love the EDT, you should try the EdP(Espirit de Parfum). It comes in handy for those occasions when nothing but Poison will do but you don't want to walk around in a cloud of Poison Sillage. I prefer the EDT, personally.

The EDT is Opoponax and sweet berries to my nose. The EdP is honeyed berries, plum, spices and amber. The EdP is richer and wears closer to the skin. The EdT can be a dangerous weapon if over-applied.

Popular Fragrances