October 20, 2014 | 1789 users online

Hair Treatments - Redken - Smooth Down Butter Treat [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2007 8:54:00 PM More reviews by SoftPinkRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have the same review for this as the Redken Heavy Cream. I have very dry, thick, color-treated hair. I wanted a heavy conditioner to weigh the hair down. This product seemed just right, and I really wanted it to work. But when I used it, I didn't see much of a difference (nor with any other Redken deep conditioners). I finally switched to Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Leave-In Balm, (which is especially for reducing unwanted volume), that's been my HG deep conditioner ever since!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2007 8:18:00 AM More reviews by sophie_lapin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

There is absolutely no need to pay so much for these cones. This is not a conditioner, this a a coating. Rubbish.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2006 6:16:00 PM More reviews by twinkletoes0613

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I immediately threw this away after one use because it took my hair out in clumps. I thought it would be perfect for my dry thick coarse hair, but NO. It was wayyyy too greasy for my hair. I can't imagine or believe any positive reviews for this junk. ALL SOFT HEAVY CREAM IS MUCH BETTER!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2006 7:13:00 AM More reviews by Babydollygirl

My hair before was fried crispy just like McDonald fries. I bleach and color my hair regulary every 8 weeks, apart from that I also blow dry my hair everytime i wash my hair, which is like every 2nd or 3rd day, oh and then I straighten my hair after i blow dry it. It was so dry that i felt like hay sack. It was terrible, then i decided to switch my conditioner with this treatment. Result is fantastic, i'm very happy with it. My hair is in a way better condition now. Im very happy with this. Thumbs up people!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2006 9:11:00 AM More reviews by feral_pixie

HG. At a time when I'm slowly replacing all my store-bought products with home-made ones, I just can't bring myself to part with this. It's one of the few products I've ever even finished, let alone bought a second. I use it every day as a leave-in conditioner on my thick, dark Asian hair, and it works wonders. Also eliminates that time in the shower I spend trying not to get my hair wet, and wondering if I've left the conditioner on long enough yet.

I've tried the All Soft Heavy Cream, but I didn't like it as much. I needed to rinse it out afterwards if I didn't want to be left with a greasy head of hair, and applying it in the shower was such a mess with the giant-tub packaging. I had to use more product too, and the tiny bit of extra softness it gave me wasn't worth the trouble. It almost made my hair too soft (if that's even possible), taking away some shine and making it look dirtier. I did use up the one tub I bought, but immediately went back to Smooth Down.

Love the way there isn't a strong presence of alcohol, like there tends to be in so many hair products around. There is a very light hold if you use it as a leave-in, which is useful as a gentle guide for hair. It makes my hair shinier, smoother, softer, silkier, maybe even stronger! Great for detangling too. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2006 1:30:00 PM More reviews by soozeq68

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Great for dry, coarse, color treated hair.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2006 7:51:00 PM More reviews by ocarina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Disappointing. I'd recently gone a bit overboard with the flatiron and was looking in the hair shop for something serious to help my hair feel better. I'd previously used Heavy Cream and since this was marketed as even stronger, I fell for it. Bad idea: Butter Treat is just not a great deep conditioner. First of all, the jar. I hate stuff in jars, it's impossible to open when your hands are wet. Second, the texture is a bit thin, and third, it does not condition my coarse hair as well as I'd like. Truthfully, Clairol Herbal Essences does a better job as a rinse-out conditioner. I will stick with that and with my new leave-in HG, MMU Cosmetiques' On the Mend. Will keep using Butter Treat as a daily conditioner until I run out, and not buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2006 2:23:00 AM More reviews by effboysinthebutt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this. I color my hair... way too much. And the only styling tool I deal with is a flat iron. Usually my hair is in really good shape ( so says my hair dresser). But lately it's been REALLY dry and Crunchy.

I bought this today. Left it in for about 25 minutes. It's so soft and shiny. Definately worth the money!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2006 8:59:00 PM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

the tab first of all broke on one side - I hate flip bottoms! But, that's nothing. As a treatment, I found my hair did not react nicely to the product. It didn't feel conditioned, just dry. I tried to use it as a leave in conditioner, and although the curls were nice, my hair was dry and sort of crunchy. The next day, when I tried to straighten it, it was so dry it looked damaged. Gave it back for the Heavy Cream.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2006 3:05:00 AM More reviews by ShannonF

I really like this deep conditioner. I use it once a week after clarifying, and it really helps my dry, color treated hair to look stay healhty. It must be used sparingly though, or it can weigh fine hair down.