October 26, 2014 | 845 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2010 9:41:00 PM More reviews by alisha85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought the #2 shade. I have very dark circles under my eyes and needed a powder that wouldn't make me look like I had a sunglasses tan! I use a little bit to set the concealer and I've noticed that it doesn't make the lines under your eyes stand out like other powders I've used. It actually hides them! Then I just use a darker powder over the top since the skin on my face is moderately tanned. I found it to be very expensive ($48 AUD) but I paid for it using a gift card so thought I may as well treat myself and buy some decent make-up! Didn't have the guilty feeling like I normally do when I pay with my own money lol. The packaging is decent but I have noticed that the powder can come out if you tip it on it's side. I may buy this product again. Have only had it for 1 week so will see how I go!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2010 8:48:00 PM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

i recently wrote a review for Mally's Eye Light Powder which is a white/translucent pressed powder that's made to set your undereye concealer and to help brighten the area. i adore that product, and would have kept using it except for the fact that i used it up and was desperate for something to set my concealer with and didn't have the time to wait for Mally's powder to be shipped to me from QVC-- hence, i bought this LM Secret Brightening Powder in Shade 1. although i really, really loved the Mally Powder and the fact that it's less expensive than the LM powder (minus the shipping and handling; if you add the s&h it's basically equal in price), i actually found that i like this Secret Brightening Powder a little bit better. although they both set your concealer without altering it's color, the LM SBP seems to look even less visible than Mally's powder and brightens the undereye area slightly more for me. it also definitely keeps my concealer (Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer at the moment, but i switch around a lot) looking just-applied-fresh much longer than Mally's powder. i actually cannot BELIEVE how amazingly fresh the LM SBP keeps my concealer; when i go to wash my face at 10 pm it looks EXACTLY the same as it did when i applied it at 9 am. that is impressive!!! there is a *slight* luminescence to this SBP, but it's not something i would describe as shimmer, and it's not noticeable once you've been wearing it for a little while. another reason i prefer this SBP over Mally's powder is the fact that since this powder is loose, it applies more finely than Mally's pressed version, and also when i was using Mally's pressed Eye Bright powder it always developed those hard spots on the surface from moisture that i would have to scrape off, thus wasting product. loose powders are always messy to deal with and my remedy to this (like many other people) is to only leave a few of the holes open for the loose powder to come out of. i just leave the sticker covering about 85% of the holes so that only a small amount of product will come out when i tip the jar over. i love the super, super, super finely milled texture of this SBP so much that i've been using a sample of Shade 2 (slightly more flesh-toned than Shade 1 which is a bright white) as a regular translucent setting powder all over my face! it's that undetectable and wonderful for me! but today i purchased LM's Translucent Setting powder to use for that purpose so hopefully it will work as well. although this SBP is a bit pricey, i'm sure it will last for atleast a year because you only need a tiny amount, and it's well worth the $22 to me because of how well it performs.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2010 2:47:00 AM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I apply a slight dusting under my eye to set my concealer and it really does a great job. Keeps my concealer in place and delivers that subtle brightening effect, especially noticeable when I only do one under eye and compare the difference. Very happy with the results and will repurchase. For reference I purchased #1 and I'm PPP.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2010 5:28:00 AM More reviews by Sofia65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Great undereye powder. I have very dark under eye circles and use this to set the LM #2 creme concealer. This powder really helps to lighten up the area, and a little goes a longer way.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2010 12:29:00 AM More reviews by avocadobutter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use this in #2, to set the concealer under my eyes (Eve Pearl Salmon Concealer). I am happy how these two products complement each other. The powder is very finely milled, and is not visible to the eye. It does make the concealer longer lasting.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2010 9:49:00 AM More reviews by LPomona

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I apply the lightest dusting of this over my concealer. Sometimes I also dust some over my eyeliner because it doesn't lighten the liner, but it does set it so it's longer lasting. The effect this powder has over your under-eye concealer is subtle, but it really is good. Like everyone says, it provides a gentle brightening to the area. I much prefer this effect to the in-your-face, reflective eye brighteners that draw attention to your eyes in the worst way. Secret Brightening Powder is the kind of thing that you appreciate most on days that you *forget* to use it, because you notice that you do not look as good without it. I am NC20 & use the original shade (#1).

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2010 6:13:00 PM More reviews by Poisonous

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Black

my HG for setting undereye concealer. TBH at first I was skeptical about the shimmer, thought it would highlight my panda eyes, but no, once you dust it on you can barely tell there is any shimmer at all. And it stays in place all day I never need to top up my concealer again. My undereye area doesn't feel dried out. Yes it still settles into my lines a little bit, but that can't be helped, unless they come up with a powder that actually floats 0.1 mm above my face XD
the only downside is that there isn't much of a colour selection, they only have this in 3 tones I believe? so if it doesn't match your skin, it's gonna look BAAAD. choose carefully girls

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2009 8:18:00 PM More reviews by furby623

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used the SBP for over a year and I really like it. After applying LM secret concealer, I use a concealer brush to pick up the powder and tap off the excess. Then gently pad it on to my undereye area. Of course my dark circles do not completely disappear. The powder brightens those areas and prevent creasing. I am very satisfy with the purchase as the jar has lasted for over 14 months and still have half left. I will definitely repurchase when it runs out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2009 7:38:00 AM More reviews by pencilpleat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was looking for an undereye brightener but was in a fix because I hate the way concealers look on me (like foundations, it is so difficult to get a shade that would match my skin perfectly. I also dislike how they would cake up under my eyes and make me look horrible close up). I was leaning towards Bobbi Brown's Eye Brightener, but even that didn't work for me. I have been using YSL Touche Eclat for that purpose with reasonable success but I didn't like that when used daily, it would give me milia. So anyway when I finished my last tube of Touch Eclat I thought I'd take a break from it and try this powder. I tried it at the store but for some reasom although it didn't wow me then, I did part with my money and take a pot of this powder home (in shade #2).

When I got home and put it on the following few days, I thought 'What was I thinking? I should have bought another Touch Eclat pen' but today - after much crying all night (a tiff with the SO) I woke up with puffy undereyes. I had a lunch meeting today that I couldn't escape, so I put on my eye makeup as usual and dusted a bit of the BP under my eyes and then like magic my puffed up undereyes disappeared!

It does it so subtly you don't know what hit you, but you know that when it's not there your reddened puffy undereyes would be so obvious.

I don't know how else to describe it, I don't know how it works, but this will be a staple in my MU bag from now on. Oh and a big plus is that it doesn't give me milia!

ETA: I hate the packaging though - it should have a sliding shaker cover to close the holes which are so big I have to scotch tape all but one hole - and even then a lot of powder can leak out.

UPDATE: I really like how this powder brightens my undereye area in photos. No reverse panda effect at all. ♥

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2009 7:20:00 PM More reviews by Abbieness

Received a sample in a swap and tested it a few times. I'm 37 yo and I use Bobbi Brown corrector religiously under my eyes. I had heard that the secret brightening powder used over the BB corrector is HG for many MUAers. I tried this but it felt like I was smearing chalk under my eyes. I don't have particularly dry skin, but it made me look like I have dry wrinkly skin under my eyes. No thanks, not for me.