July 24, 2014 | 1819 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2010 6:13:00 PM More reviews by Poisonous

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Black

my HG for setting undereye concealer. TBH at first I was skeptical about the shimmer, thought it would highlight my panda eyes, but no, once you dust it on you can barely tell there is any shimmer at all. And it stays in place all day I never need to top up my concealer again. My undereye area doesn't feel dried out. Yes it still settles into my lines a little bit, but that can't be helped, unless they come up with a powder that actually floats 0.1 mm above my face XD
the only downside is that there isn't much of a colour selection, they only have this in 3 tones I believe? so if it doesn't match your skin, it's gonna look BAAAD. choose carefully girls

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2009 8:18:00 PM More reviews by furby623

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used the SBP for over a year and I really like it. After applying LM secret concealer, I use a concealer brush to pick up the powder and tap off the excess. Then gently pad it on to my undereye area. Of course my dark circles do not completely disappear. The powder brightens those areas and prevent creasing. I am very satisfy with the purchase as the jar has lasted for over 14 months and still have half left. I will definitely repurchase when it runs out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2009 7:38:00 AM More reviews by pencilpleat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was looking for an undereye brightener but was in a fix because I hate the way concealers look on me (like foundations, it is so difficult to get a shade that would match my skin perfectly. I also dislike how they would cake up under my eyes and make me look horrible close up). I was leaning towards Bobbi Brown's Eye Brightener, but even that didn't work for me. I have been using YSL Touche Eclat for that purpose with reasonable success but I didn't like that when used daily, it would give me milia. So anyway when I finished my last tube of Touch Eclat I thought I'd take a break from it and try this powder. I tried it at the store but for some reasom although it didn't wow me then, I did part with my money and take a pot of this powder home (in shade #2).

When I got home and put it on the following few days, I thought 'What was I thinking? I should have bought another Touch Eclat pen' but today - after much crying all night (a tiff with the SO) I woke up with puffy undereyes. I had a lunch meeting today that I couldn't escape, so I put on my eye makeup as usual and dusted a bit of the BP under my eyes and then like magic my puffed up undereyes disappeared!

It does it so subtly you don't know what hit you, but you know that when it's not there your reddened puffy undereyes would be so obvious.

I don't know how else to describe it, I don't know how it works, but this will be a staple in my MU bag from now on. Oh and a big plus is that it doesn't give me milia!

ETA: I hate the packaging though - it should have a sliding shaker cover to close the holes which are so big I have to scotch tape all but one hole - and even then a lot of powder can leak out.

UPDATE: I really like how this powder brightens my undereye area in photos. No reverse panda effect at all. ♥

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2009 7:20:00 PM More reviews by Abbieness

Received a sample in a swap and tested it a few times. I'm 37 yo and I use Bobbi Brown corrector religiously under my eyes. I had heard that the secret brightening powder used over the BB corrector is HG for many MUAers. I tried this but it felt like I was smearing chalk under my eyes. I don't have particularly dry skin, but it made me look like I have dry wrinkly skin under my eyes. No thanks, not for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2009 4:21:00 PM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

years and years of using this product attest to how much I love it. Way before HD powders and mineral powders, there was the SBP. The little round box could improve with the newer separators like the LM Mineral powder line has.

This powder is an absolute must for anyone who wants a really finished look and needs to de-shine but not dull up their faces.

love this and have my stash in place:D

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2009 4:09:00 PM More reviews by taliaseki

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

it is one of the best posible undereye powders. As any powder would do it emphesize fine lines but less than the other powders do. It is white but it disappears like fairy powder in a minute. I put it around my eyes and mounth with mac 190 and when i am done i have a hard to tell difference; no shimmering no nacre but a natural lighter and brighter color. It is one of a kind a must have makeup item. I have not seen any similar powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2009 2:37:00 AM More reviews by ChristmasMom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

A little of this powder is all it takes! This is a very white powder and it is fine with whichever concealer I use under my eyes. I could have written the review below me. I have hereditary dark circles. People always say that I look like I need more sleep if I do not apply concealer. I could sleep all day and drink tons of water, but the dark circles remain.

When I apply this powder, I use the Nars 13 large dome brush. It picks up just the right amount of powder on its fluffy bristles. If you put on too much, the powder is no longer "Secret."

This tub lasts forever because so little is used. Doubt if I'll need a replacement for more than a year, but I will restock when the day comes.

See my notepad for my current concealer favorites.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2009 9:07:00 PM More reviews by linc2

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Hall of fame status for setting one's undereye concealer! This is one of the very few products that I cannot do without. I have dark, hereditary undereye circles and must use concealer. Regardless of what concealer I currently favor, I ALWAYS set it with LM's secret brightening powder. Finely milled, does not settle into fine lines, if applied lightly does not look powdery. (I apply with BB's eye blender brush, but anything of that ilk will do.) For reference, I'm NC25 and use LM's secret in #2. Unique and makes a real difference.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2009 2:29:00 AM More reviews by mstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a dark-skinned African-American, and I use the Secret Brightening Powder #2 interchangeably with LM's Transulcent Setting Powder. They are absolutely amazing for setting makeup and giving a subtle luminous glow to my skin.

The powder is incredibly finely milled, and soft as a kitten, so it glides smoothly over my face and never looks cakey. I much prefer using a translucent powder (like Secret Brightening) instead of a colored one, because I feel that the color builds up quickly on dark skin and begins to look unnatural. The Laura Mercier powders do the job perfectly without making me look like I have a face full of makeup.

The price is great, and the jar is the perfect size. I think I've repurchased this 5 or 6 times, since I use it all over my face. Best powder I've ever used.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2009 12:41:00 PM More reviews by jungleberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

The sifter holes for this are too big so I only opened the sticker halfway exposing half the holes. I think the brush used to apply this powder is really important. At first I was using a blush brush and applied too much to too many areas and now using a smaller softer eyeshadow brush it applies evenly and really makes my concealer stay put. Too expensive though and sifter holes are too big!