October 20, 2014 | 1014 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2011 10:25:00 PM More reviews by beckabeck

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

this is my go to highlighting kit for years now, i always got brassy results at salon, but this kit gives nice ash and golden highlights. i only mix half of it and put the rest in sealed baggie. once you mix it all you have to use it up right away. to avoid too much breakage, after i rinse off but before i take cap off i mix olive oil with egg and deep conditioner. i leave that off for around 20 minutes or so and then i take cap off and rinse, then i use the shampoo and conditioner that comes with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2011 8:16:00 PM More reviews by Dostygirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I could not believe how great this product is. I have always been terrified to do highlights myself, limiting myself to an all over color that was ok, but boring. Unfortunately, money has been tight for a long time with no let up in the immediate future, so I thought, what the hell. And boy, how surprising. The only thing wrong with the product were my own mistakes (i.e. bleeding through the cap, pulling out a bit too much hair through some holes, etc.). My hair always pulls red, and there is not a hint of brass. Some tips, GET HELP. I did it myself and was a sweaty mess by the end. Two, do not glop the product on the cap itself, try to keep it on the hair as much as possible as this is probably what caused the bleeding. And third, and most important, do not go by the strand test. My strand test (and I took samples of hair from root to tip) took a full 60 minutes. With the product on my head, it was done in 30. I know it has to do with the heat from the scalp. So keep checking. And give it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2011 10:08:00 AM More reviews by shoehoard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is for the Platinum Frost and Glow. Wow! Wow! Wow! I'm super impressed with this. I've been going to the salon now for years to pay for highlights. Since moving from FL to CT, I have not been pleased with any of my stylists when they do my highlights (black hair seems to be the norm up here). They can never lift my hair to the bright blonde that I want. So I took matters into my own hands. I watched every youtube video on this product. I watched videos on toners. I read everything I could about Frost and Glow. I went to Sally Beauty Supply and bought a Magicap with hook (ended up using just the hook) with Frost and Glow's cap.Good thing I did that cause my kit was missing the hook and spatula. I was able to pull small strands through the cap with the smaller hook on the front and sides. I had to have help from my husband on the back, although I probably could have done it - it just would have taken longer. Since my hair was already highlighted and I was just lifting to a more vibrant blonde, I checked my hair every 5 mins. I also sat under my portable bonnet dryer to speed up the processing. After 30 mins, I got in the shower to wash off the bleach. I panicked for a minute because I did lose some hair (bleaching on top of older highlights) but it wasn't a lot. I washed, conditioned, and towel dried. I had banana yellow highlights. Here's where the toner came in. I bought Wella White Lady T18 toner and combined it in a 1:1 ratio with 20 volume developer. I applied to my damp hair and left on for 5 minutes. I then showered again and left in deep treatment conditioner overnight. I blow dried and flat ironed this morning. Noticed slight breakage around the hairline but nothing major or unexpected. I uploaded a pic (that's me in the turquoise necklace). I will never pay for professional highlights again!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by PiePie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Worst highlighting experience ever! The package came with no gloves, no holes punched through the cap, and a hook with a sharp point on it which had to be filed off. After I filed the hook and punched holes in the cap, I put it on, pulled the hair through and mixed the solution. It mixed up creamy but within minutes of finishing the application, it turned hard and crunchy. I rinsed it off immediately and washed and conditioned my hair. The conditioner smelled and felt like lard. My hair was frizzy fried and I had to go to a salon to get it cut and deep-conditioned. It is still damaged and most of it was cut off so it is now extremely short. (It was not dry or colored to begin with, and was medium length.) I have contacted Revlon twice and they have ignored me both times. I do not even get the courtesy of a reply. Not only would I never buy this again, I will never buy any Revlon product again and am telling everyone I know - Beware!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2011 12:14:00 AM More reviews by makeupdee

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm another happy user of this product. The good reviews convinced me to go with this product and not another brand. I was a little leery because my natural color is dark brown which tends to hold onto red. But after a year of having it done professionally and watching my stylist do it (she uses the cap too), and knowing how long she leaves the mixture on for, i figured i'd give it a go. I had to leave mine on for approx. 50 minutes until I was sure there was no orange in it (but some strands got very blonde/almost white, so I probably should have rinsed it off at 40 min?). The fact that my hair already has layers of highlights from before helped a lot too, because it all blends in. I agree with the other reviewer that the plastic hook that comes with the kit makes it hard to grab the strands, so to save aggravation get the metal one at Sally's. I should have so I have one or two larger chunks (they're not very noticeable though). All in all though i'm very happy with the results-- above all the color quality is comparable to professional-- and thrilled to pay $10 instead of $100!!! The only reason for 4 instead of 5 stars is the plastic hook!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2011 10:34:00 PM More reviews by kaydeem

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using Frost and Glow for almost my whole life. When I was a kid, my mother and sister used to have me help pull their hair through a Frost and Glow cap for their monthly ritual of "refreshing" their blonde hair.

Highlighting your own hair through a cap is not difficult once you get the hang of it. You can get excellent results 99.9% of the time** (I'll explain in a minute) for pennies on the dollar. I also think that the bleach that Revlon uses is great. It lifts quickly and evenly with minimal damage.

If you're inexperienced at at-home highlighting, I would encourage you to watch some youtube videos to get familiar with the technique...it can be scary the first time you do it!

**Now, about my caveat of great results 99.9% of the time...what about the .1%??? Well, I've learned a few techniques that makes the very rare concurrence of a disaster even rarer. Here's what I've come up with:
-Generally, the first time you highlight, just have your hair parted the way you always do. This will make your highlights really show (in a good way!) After you've been highlighting for a while, watch colorist videos on youtube and experiment with parting your hair in different places so that it continues to look professional, and not overdone in certain spots.
-If you like a subtle, natural, un-chunky, un-striped type of highlight, then throw away the plastic hook that comes with the Revlon kit and buy a metal hook at Sally's. I have found that the cumbersome plastic hook can also rip the frosting cap, increasing the potential margin of error.
-Experiment with the hook for a while, like dress-rehearsal style. See how far in you have to poke. Find out if it's easier to hold the hook in a certain direction. Hold a mirror with one hand and work on the coordination of pulling from the back.
-If you accidentally hit a snarl and pull out a humongous chunk of hair, don't try to roll with it. Just take the cap off, and start pulling all over again, more carefully. I know it's a royal pain and no one has time for it, but having one obviously overly-highlighted section definitely makes it look like you did your hair at home (and not very well at that)
-While you are picking up that metal hook at Sally's, also pick up a color brush. You will want to brush the bleach onto the hair you've pulled (instead of glopping it on with a gloved hand) for a couple reasons: Firstly, you will have better control, and secondly, you will avoid overloading the root section where bleach could leak back through the hole and get onto other hair.
-If you have longer hair, it is helpful to gather the other hair that's hanging below the cap (stuff you are NOT highlighting) and loosely gather it in an old scrunchie. This prevents you from accidentally nailing the wrong hair strands.
-After you've applied the bleach, allow your hair to turn all the way to a lemon-yellow color if you want true blonde highlights. If you have really dark hair and only want a caramel color, then stay near a mirror and keep checking your hair...the moments between "caramel" and "brass-fest" are not a long ones.
-When you are ready to rinse, get in the shower with the cap on, get it wet, and put a little of the shampoo that comes with the kit on the highlighted hair with the cap still on...then slide the cap off. Makes it so much easier.

I still see a professional colorist once or twice a year, just to make sure nothing gets really out of balance, but I am able to do all my own in-between maintenance. I know that my ramble might be info overload, but I hope it can help someone. Because, when you do it right, a good cap highlighting job looks like you dropped 250.00 at the best salon for hand-painted balayage highlights...and for about 235.00 less. Thanks, Revlon! (I would have given them a full 5 if they still threw in the old-school metal hook!)

60 out of 61 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by castevet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so shocked that this product actually worked and my hair did NOT turn orange! 2 months ago I had my professional hairdresser cousin lift my dark hair a shade and give me some light highlights because my hair is turning gray in some areas and I thought my roots would blend better with lighter hair. My hair came out kind of brassy and uneven in spots, but I was happy overall with the change. When I was touching up on my roots recently I went overboard and went over all the nice light highlights in my bangs and was back to plain medium/dark brown hair again. I tried to fix my own highlights with the Revlon Frost & Glow kit in Honey after reading all these reviews here and I am so glad I did! I think my highlights came out even better than they were before, with no orange and minimal brass. I left it on for about 20 minutes and didn't have too many problems with the cap doing it on my own.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by bozorico

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the first time buying a highlighting kit so I can't really compare to anything else. I used the one for dark brown hair in honey. Pulling my thick hair through the cap was a pain, but it's better to have someone help you. I used every hole and left it in for about 25 mins. It gave me reddish caramel highlights. I bought this for around $12 at CVS and it came great. Would probably repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2011 11:40:00 AM More reviews by eapieper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been experimenting with home hair colouring products for almost 20 years (yikes, that makes me feel old). I have never had a lot of success with the home highlighting kits: I have tried a few in the past, but always have ended up with brassy, blotchy results with the products that are applied with wands.

I have been trying to grow out my naturally medium/ dark blonde hair after having it cut to a short pixie style less than a year ago (after ++ damage from salon expensive bleaching/ colouring). I was hoping to go back to my natural colour mainly because I am sick of paying for expensive salon colouring.

I remember many years ago a friend of mine saying that she used this product, and her hair was a similar base colour as mine, and she had icy-blonde, natural looking hi-lites (looked like expensive salon colouring). I did not use this product in the past because I have been lured by the more modern packaging of some of the newer products.

Like I said, I have short hair (longest layers are just below my ears), that is naturally thick and wavy). I found that pulling the hair through the cap was fairly easy and took me less than 30 minutes (I only did face framing and crown protions of the cap, if I had done the underside I would have needed assistance from someone else). I pulled my hair through every hole in the cap.

I found that there was ample product for my short hair (I used approx 1/3 of the product). I left the product on for approx 30 minutes (at this point my hair looked very light blonde with no brassiness). I rinsed, washed and conditioned according to the package directions. I did not notice any breakage when I was combing or drying my hair.

I am super happy with the results. I achieved pretty, icy blonde natural looking hi-lites which are off-set by my natural ashy blonde undertones. I paid $10 for this product and I am happier with the results than I have been with salon colouring of $130 and many hours at the salon. I have washed my hair 2 times since the initial colouring and I am so far pleased with the condition of my hair.

I will definitely use this product again!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/10/2011 11:47:00 PM More reviews by plmcgarry

I just used the Revlon highlight kit for the honey blonde highlights for med dark hair. My hair was dyed and highlighted professionally 6 months ago but I couldn't afford to do it again so I decided to try this product. My hair was a med to darkish brown with caramel hightlights that had faded.
My friend helped me and we used the cap which took forever. I read a lot of the reviews from this website before I chose this product and although a lot of people said to leave it on for well over 30 minutes, after 25 minutes my head started to burn (heat like, not chemically) and so I panicked because it was rather painful and I washed it out. My hair is brassy, yellow and the ends are so fried that they feel rubbery and look singed, and they break easily!!!! I don't know what we did wrong :( Is there any advice on how long I have to wait before I can go to a salon and get it repaired somehow???? I regret doing this and my hair looks horrible now. I would love advice!!