November 25, 2014 | 1780 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 1:31:00 PM More reviews by marifixx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I have found my perfect cleanser. This does not only do the job - it does the job WELL! I like everything about it except the funky smell, but it's not something I can't live with.

Also love using this with my Clarisonic!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2014 1:47:00 AM More reviews by ellierosepoppy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am in my late 20's and I've been using this cleanser since college (so roughly 8 years at this point) and I've hardly used any others. Removes all makeup, evens out the texture, softens, doesn't cause me to breakout, isn't drying, doesn't irritate my eyes, and smells like a garden. It's worked wonderfully on my acne-prone and sensitive skin. The scent is from some of the natural ingredients included since this product has zero added fragrance. A little goes a long way and it's available in various sizes. I have no complaints about it. I really think this cleanser is amazing and has been and will continue to be an essential product in my skincare routine.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2014 3:29:00 AM More reviews by RLDonaghy

I thought I was crazy because I can't stand this face wash, and so many people just LOVE it. I will say, it is GREAT at removing all makeup. It's even good at removing waterproof mascara. Leaves your skin feeling clean. That's where the benefits end. The smell is horrible, it's a lemony plastic smell, that I just can't get used to. Also, this breaks me out horribly. Over the years I have tried this face wash several times, just to see if it is a coincidence that I am broken out after using because I do have acne prone skin, or if it is this product. It never fails, I always get a breakout after using and most of the time it will include cystic acne.
I think this product works well for people who DO NOT have sensitive skin. If you are prone to breakouts I would highly suggest you stay away from this face wash.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2014 11:57:00 PM More reviews by MaigeAda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received a philosophy gift set for Christmas with different skin care products. Of the 5 or 6 products, Purity cleanser was probably my favorite next to HIAJ Day cream.

The cleanser does what it promises and my skin feels really clean afterwards and It washes off makeup and mascara really well. I also really like the packaging as opposed to a pump cleanser. My only complaint is that it dries my skin out more than I would like it too, especially for the price of the cleanser.

Having that said, I'm not necessarily overwhelmed by this product. Yeah, it cleans, but it's way too pricey for what it does and I've used other cleaners that are just as good and less than half the price of Purity. I said I would buy it again because compared to the other Philosophy cleansers in the gift set, I'm most satisfied with this one. I would say it's really only worth the price if you have the money or are a fan of Philosophy products and know they work for you.

Because it is expensive and kind of drying, I've been using Purity just a few times a week and sticking with my regular Aveeno Ultra Calming cleanser which I love a recommend for daily use!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2014 8:30:00 PM More reviews by perfectionseeking

I'm obsessed with this cleanser. I'm intense with my facial routine (maybe too much).. I would remove my makeup, wash my face with a cleanser, use toner, and moisturize. Since I started using purity I don't feel the need to include all those steps (huge deal for me - I like using my products). Now i just use purity to remove my makeup, cleanse and tone and then I will still moisturize.

It feels creamy but not in a way thats suffocating your skin and where you wonder if you'll be able to rinse it off. My skin feels very clean after I use it and it's very gentle ( I don't have overly sensitive skin ). I can leave my house right after without getting blotchy and red.. and it looks nicer after I washed my face then it did moments before.

I was still using a makeup remover until I only wanted to pack one face product when I went to my friends and was extremely surprised to find that it took all of my makeup off - yes eye makeup too (lots of eye shadow/liquid eyeliner/coats on coats of water resistant mascara).
You can open your eyes mid washing off your mascara and your eyes won't hurt at all which helps to make sure you've got it all. A lot of people seem to think it doesn't remove makeup easily but removing makeup isn't really effortless in any case. Purity will remove it all down to the root of your eyelashes, which I usually have a problem with.

Afterwards my skin feels nice - clean and soft, will probably forget I need moisturizer in the summer months but this Canadian winter has been drying my skin out. Since using purity my face hasn't been left as dry as when I used other face washes.

I've noticed an improvement in my skin - it's probably good to reduce my skin care routine and get it back to a more natural balance without feeling so stripped.

It did cost 26 dollars for the 8oz (The Bay & Sephora).. I'm on more of a drug store budget when it comes to face wash but you only need a small amount (2-3 pea size amount maybe?) So it seems it will last me quite a while. If I continue to have these great consistent results with it I will be repurchasing it when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2013 6:57:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got a sample packet of this cleanser a month or so back and REALLY liked it. I actually put it on my Christmas list for my kids (because it's affordable for them) but had determined that if I didn't get it, I would buy a bottle for myself! It was a bit difficult to wait because I really liked the sample I had. Well, my older son came through for me and got me a good-sized bottle of this (the 8 oz. one). I am really happy. This removes virtually everything on my face (waterproof mascara might need an extra step of an eye makeup remover) and leaves it feeling clean and refreshed but not dried out. Over time, this may well become my "go to" cleanser, replacing all 3 of the Clarins ones I use now (each at a different time of the year!). Purity Made Simple seems like it might be the only cleanser I'm likely to need.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/28/2013 7:44:00 PM More reviews by Tiptoemousey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this awhile ago off QVC two large bottles of it and it dried my skin out really bad and i hated it. I put it away for months until one day i saw i was out of brush cleaner so i figured i would try this on my brushes and I love it as a brush cleaner it gets them super clean. I would not buy it again just to clean my brushes but if you have a bottle and don't like it for your skin try it on your brushes it is a good way to use it up rather then just throwing it away and wasting money.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2013 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Rubymm

LOVE THIS CLEANSER!! Best cleanser in the whole world!!! It gets ALL my makeup of and any excess and it doesn't over dry my skin! It keeps my skin soft and clean!! Defiantly worth the price!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2013 4:27:00 PM More reviews by monicaandree

My mom is devoted to this stuff, so when I recently saw that QVC was having a $70 special buy for two of the 32 ounce bottles, I splurged and got one for her, and one for me to try it out.

The Pros
Nice size - will last a long time
smell is nice
creamy formula
dissolves all of my makeup

The Cons
the scent is strong and I can still smell is for hours after I wash
Can leave my skin tight and dry
The price

I just don't see enough of a difference between this and any other skin cleanser to justify the steep price tag, especially when I can get 32 ounces of cetaphil cleanser for less than $17. I have also heard that the formula has changed, which, while I cannot judge that as a new user of this product, It seems that for the price, there should be a lot more oils and natural ingredients in it, instead of just standard detergents.

**update**
It has been 6 months since I wrote my initial review, and after using this almost daily, I am shocked to note that my bottle is still more than half full. Furthermore, the longer I use this, the more I notice that it really is a one-step cleanser. It removes all of my makeup, unless I am wearing waterproof mascara, in which case I must use an eye makeup remover first. But, this will remove all the residue after using a makeup remover. I am not a huge fan of the scent, and it lingers after washing, but it has grown on me somewhat. Initially I never thought I would repurchase this, but now I have to admit I just might! If this gets me through the entire year, I will absolutely consider purchasing another bottle. It's nice to have something last that long.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/27/2013 10:55:00 PM More reviews by Jnsbaby

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Worst mistake I could have made to my skin. I have sensitive skin and I just bought the clarisonic Mia 2, I thought this would be a miracle product since all the youtubers use it. WRONG. I have used it with the clarisonic 6 times. My acne is so bad right now. Before using it, my skin wasn't bad at all. I just had acne scars. Within the next day of using it, my skin was full of acne on my chin, above my lips, beside my lips, and a little on my cheeks, 2 little pimples on my forehead & one painful pimple on my jaw line. These are not the normal pimples I would get. I am not using this ever again. It is full of fragrance and is not good for sensitive skin at all. I wasted $22 on a product I have only used for 3 days.