April 16, 2014 | 1905 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Coco

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2009 11:21:00 AM More reviews by bleuday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This review is for the EDP.

Coco's one of Chanel's best.

It's No. 5 all polished and refined. The aldehydes are much softer and the romance more subtle.

I recommend reading Michael Edwards on this fragrance, or this blogspot entry which incorporates Edwards in its summary: http://hauteparfum.blogspot.com/2007/06/chanel-coco.html

Very much worth your time to copy and paste into your browser window.

I agree with Mr. Charles that Coco and No. 5 are part of the same family. This younger sister learned from the older one, and she's smarter, and though more demure on the surface, she's much more complexity and depth if you pay attention. Mystery, warmth, and understated sexiness, never kissing and telling.

Much has been written on this fragrance, so I'm not going to better the experts. It's sufficient to note that this is one the one that Ms. Chanel allowed her name to be put on, and that speaks volumes.

A must have classic for a connoisseur of fragrance . . .

and sophisticated, timeless beauty.

ETA: I think it's absolutely hilarious that people actually vote "no" on a review that gives a link to a great fragrance writer and references a classic book on perfume. So you don't like Coco, I get it. The question isn't do you like the fragrance, but do you find the review helpful. No, no relevant information given here, none at all. :-)

Perfume, obviously a VERY personal thang.

41 out of 51 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2009 3:54:00 PM More reviews by suzyqz1970

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm not in love with it but I don't hate it either. Cocoa to me is just right on the verge of walking into Youth Dew land but something stops it just in time. For me, i really have to be in the mood and it needs to be really cold outside (like dead of winter cold) in order for me to really appreciate it. It's very much an oriental and it definately smells very sophisticated to me. It has very good lasting power though and I much prefer the dry down which isn't so in your face. I'll use it but i won't re-purchase

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2009 9:12:00 PM More reviews by s2casey

Coco has been my "winter" fragrance for years!

I wait till the first real cold day, and spray on the EDT. My style is very simple, usually jeans and a black or white shirt or sweater. Not trendy. Just tryin' to hang in there at 50!

I have had SO many compliments from complete strangers in the last few days! Men and women. The guys want to know me, and the ladies want to know what fragrance I'm wearing! ;)

This is my first post here. Looks like a very cool place!

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2009 4:58:00 PM More reviews by darkhoney

Coco is the godmother of all orientals. Captivating, warm, intoxicating, this scent is pure luxury.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2009 3:55:00 PM More reviews by sari1212

I've been wearing Coco for about 4.5 years now, and it has consistently been the fragrance that makes me feel most glamorous and desirable. Whenever I get dressed up for an event, a spritz of Coco completes the outfit and lifts my spirits and gives me that "Rawr" feeling. This is the only perfume I've ever worn that has gotten consistent comments wherever I go, mostly from perfect strangers. It's a heavier fragrance, I like it best for evenings and for when the weather gets a bit cooler. But as with most Chanel fragrances, it can kind of become part of your ritual, and make you feel equally as glam in a t-shirt in jeans as it does dressed for a black tie event. I've never smelled this on anyone else, amazingly, and it seems like most people my age don't venture to it, but instead stick to Mademoiselle. Anyway, I love it. Timeless and elegant.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2009 6:01:00 AM More reviews by kizkad

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

absolutely love this perfume it dries down to the most warm and comforting scent imaginable, its like autumn in a bottle, it is very pricey but my bottle will last a very long time as i only use HALF a squirt at a time which lasts me all day long and can be smelt from miles around. my favourite chanel fragrance

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2009 12:29:00 AM More reviews by Kitty_82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am not very good a describing fragrance and that seems redundant anyway given all the previous reviews.

This is the sexiest scent I know of. It unleashes terrible cravings of the worst and best kind you could imagine. This fragrance is better than sex, better than fudge, better than getting drunk off red wine and flirting with the world.

It heightens drama but comforts at the same time. It's utterly responsive to any mood of mine.

You know when you glance over your collection and try to match a scent to your state? Coco always matches. It's hard to resist wearing it all day every day, but I feel sorry for my other perfumes.

I cannot believe I stayed away for so long because I was put off by its popularity-- just re-discovered it a couple of months ago. I am hoping the likers will leave the lusters alone in the next few years and give us some privacy with this perfume.

I will wear this until the day I die or get some kind of lobotomy that changes every aspect of my personality.

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2009 9:37:00 AM More reviews by tijanarm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My first experience with Coco was when it first came out over twenty years ago. I was studying abroad and brought it back as a gift for my mom who loved it. I at the time was using different fragrances, but started leaning towards the Chanel fragrances myself. Over those 20 years, I have used (and still use) 5, 19, Cristalle, Eau Premiere, Allure and Allure Sensuelle, but have gotten a bit tired of the fact that most women around me wear most of those fragrances and I needed to reinvent myself. So I went back to my fragrance closet and pulled this one out. My mom has stopped using it, so of course I decided to give it a try again after many years. What I have discovered is that yes, it is strong, but it is SUCH a beautiful fragrance, like no other. Over the last year or so that I've been using it on a regular basis, I learned how to make this both daytime and evening fragrance, and also both winter and summer fragrance while exploring different effects of different concentrations:
1) In the fall and winter, I use EDT during the day and EDP at night. I sometimes use body lotion in the evening with its full concentration. I must admit I am a huge fan of the EDT now, although initially, I was a lot more into EDP.
2) In the spring and summer, I use the body lotion in the evening after taking a shower and before I go to bed. If it's really humid, I mix the Coco body lotion with some regular unfragranced lotion to slightly dilute the fragrance. By the morning the scent just barely just lingers on my skin, if you are close enough to smell my skin you can tell it's there, but otherwise not. In the morning, I also dab on VERY lightly some pure perfume. Believe it or not, pure perfume is the softest of all three concentrations and just lingers on your skin. However, you have to use it VERY lightly, meaning just one dab with the cap/lid and not from the spray bottle, but the classic mini bottle with the lid.
Gorgeous fragrance I always get tons of compliments when I wear it!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2009 8:05:00 PM More reviews by NancyDrew27

I fell in love with Coco several years ago after discovering Coco Mademoiselle. I was thinking of purchasing another bottle of CM, and had decided to try No. 5 and a few others instead, since I had fallen in love with CM in a magazine strip and hadn't smelled any Chanel fragrances prior to that one. I picked up No. 5 first and no, it wasn't for me. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried Coco next; the mix of leather and spices was definitely more of my kind of thing. I took testers of CM and Coco, comparing them and trying to decide and eventually went back to spray Coco on my wrist. That evening, I couldn't stop smelling myself and my ex-husband thought something was wrong with me (he never understood my passion for perfume as I never understood his love of video games - it wasn't destined to work out).

There was nothing wrong with me, of course; I was just very much intrigued by the heady aroma that had developed on my skin into something very original, addictive and full of taste. Clueless as he was, he bought me the ugly black refillable container (half the beauty of Chanel perfumes is in the iconic glass bottle, itself) of Coco for my birthday and I wore it religiously for about six months. I did, eventually tire of it but recently, after smelling again while purchasing a bottle of No. 5 for my boyfriend's grandmother, I was reminded of it's intoxicating seduction and decided that I'll be ready for another bottle (the beautiful classic, this time) when fall rolls around.

There is a Chanel perfume for every woman and if you're a spicy, oriental kind of girl, this is the one for you.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2009 3:21:00 PM More reviews by ninamichaela

It smells like Estee Lauder Youth Dew. The top notes are very spicy and overwhelming. But it dries down to a comforting vanilla.

I won't buy this again because to wear this, there is a downtime of two hours before I really enjoy it.