August 27, 2014 | 1753 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2009 9:33:00 PM More reviews by missred2u

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really do love this! I needed something to supplement my oil cleansing/steaming regimen, which I have started doing a couple times a week now. This is very gentle on my skin. It left it clean and not overly dry. And it takes off every single trace of makeup (excluding eyes, and it may but directions say not to use close to eyes). I swiped a toner on afterwards the first time I used it to see how much gook it left behind, and there was none. ZERO! I no longer use the toner to remove traces of dirt and makeup. This has really fit in well with my routine. It also works WONDERS on makeup brushes! Love it!

EDIT* I took off 2 lippies because my skin became dry. :( I don't use it everyday now, only if I want a really, really deep clean. It still works wonders on my brushes!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2009 2:49:00 AM More reviews by bchristine

I started using this product along with the moisturizer about a year ago when I thought all hope was lost after trying dermatologist solutions that continued to fail. This surprisingly cleared me up quickly and left my skin feeling very clean. But about 3 months into using it my skin got very VERY dry. I loaded moisturizer on and gently scrubbed at it. But it took about a month before it finally went away. So I had to stop using this. I go back to it every now and then and the same thing happens. Too bad.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2009 4:50:00 AM More reviews by orchide84

this cleanser is so good for my sensitive and combination skin.It cleans well and not drying my skin.It smells herbal.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2009 9:10:00 AM More reviews by aloha_bua

My skin: Asian, Normal to Dry, Breakout occasionally

Cleanse : very clean and gentle after make up removing
Texture : light and lather up well
Package : normal
Price : drugstore

Smell : Terrible ^.^ but quality worth trying!!!

would definitely buy it again

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2009 9:04:00 AM More reviews by ivetrieditall

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff - I've been using about a year. General purpose usage. Washed face & body, cleaned brushes, washed my delicates, shampoo. I think that the smell is fresh not strong smelling at all - I don't notice the tea tree at all. You only need a little, not even a full pump.

I only repurchase the 32 oz size and it lasts me about 8 months, I'm only on my second liter.

I don't find this drying but I do moisturize and use lotion (on my body) everyday.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2009 9:18:00 PM More reviews by trixie1803

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I first read about this facial cleanser on Vitacost.com and it had good reviews so I stopped by WholeFoods the other day and found it, a little more expensive than online, but my face needed it. I am amazed by this stuff. I have adult onset of acne and I used a new toner with AHA that totally messed up my face. This has turned my face around like nobody's business!! My face is clearing up and my pores are tiny and the white bumps on my cheeks are leaving.
This is a watery cleanser so I got a foamer bottle and poured it in there and now a pump or two and that's all I need and it doesn't run everywhere, less waste. I haven't seen any drying yet, my face doesn't feel tight or dry either. Sure, the smell is strong of tea tree oil but that isn't offensive to me at all. Once you rinse it off, I can't smell any of it.
I intend to keep using this cleanser. My skin reacts very well to tea tree oil so I think this is a keeper.
Update----------8/27/09-I had to stop using this, my skin just got tooooo dried out and then started making more oil which lead to some nasty looking acne that I am fighting now to clean up!! It was good while it lasted.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2009 8:03:00 PM More reviews by womanwarrior

Desert Essence's Thoroughly Clean Face Wash is not just a face wash... it's a multi-purpose product, a less harsh version of Castille soap. I use this to wash my face after removing m/u with jojoba oil on a cotton pad. This is a bit drying, so I only use it during the peak of summer when my skin is very oily.

That's just the start. What I really love this for is cleaning my brushes, especially my 187, or any brush that's used for oily foundations, pot rouge, or gel eyeliner. It gets the last traces of makeup out of the white bristles of a skunk brush, and I like to think the Tea Tree oil is doing something to help creepy crawlies from making their nests in my brushes.

When my scalp gets really greasy, I've even used this as a shampoo. Just use a deep conditioner afterwards. I carry a small bottle of this when camping as my all-purpose hand/body/face wash.

I bought the pump bottle at Trader Joe's for under $5, and then refill it with a huge bottle that I got at Whole Foods for about $9.00. Would I re-buy? I'm on my second liter of this!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2009 7:41:00 PM More reviews by Lurid

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love that this cleanser is all natural. I don't mind the tea tree smell at all. It lathers and cleanses very well. I use witch hazel as a toner afterward and there no makeup comes off on the pad. This cleanser gets everything.

I only use it at night because otherwise it would dry out my skin. I use Desert Essence Jojoba Oil as a moisturizer with great results.

If you try and like this stuff, buy the 32 ounce bottle! It's a great deal.

UPDATE APRIL 2012: In the end, I found this cleanser to be too drying for my skin type. Overall I think it would be quite effective for oilier skin types. I still use it as a body wash occasionally, and it's *awesome* for washing make up brushes. So my big bottle hasn't gone to waste at all =)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2009 11:48:00 PM More reviews by ajax5455

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I can see where someone with normal to dry skin would not be happy with this product, but at 57, my skin still breaks out. This wash leaves my face squeaky clean. If I find it drying, I will alternate it with a milder cleanser. That said, I suspect I'll be using this for a long time.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/20/2009 11:12:00 PM More reviews by mexiangel25

I've recently been on organic products wave ( I started with some GOW). I grabbed this at my local Trader Joes and was floored by the beautifully organic list of ingredients:castille soap,coconut oil, olive oil, tea tree leaf oil etc. I also have their Jojoba oil , which I love, so I thought I'd give this a try. I've only used it twice and never will. The smell is really strange, like really really strong cold tea, I had to hold my breath while I massaged this on my face. Afterwards my face felt super super tight and uncomfortable without that clean feeling.

Some pros: bottle has a pump, lathers well, truly organic, and 100% vegan.

The cons out weight the pros for me, so I will not be repurchasing.