Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-HarvestĀ®

on 7/16/2009 12:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Great suds! Feels like using Tide on my face. Every trace of makeup, oil, dirt, skin cells and elasticity literally washed off my face. I can really see this working for people who have really oily skin. The pump really doesn't work well because the consistency of the cleanser is really, REALLY watery. However, it's no biggie. It has tea tree oil which is great for acne, but smells alot like Raid bug spray.

on 7/15/2009 11:36:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Such a great cleanser. Leaves my skin feeling plump, dewy and clean without feeling tight and dry. I keep it in my shower, the pump is convenient. I really like how it smells, too. Herbal. Yup.

on 7/14/2009 1:57:00 AM

I don't get at all why anyone likes this. My skin was so dryed out after using this and I have oily skin. After washing with this stuff my face felt stripped and had that wierd shiny sheen to it, not an oily sheen but that shiny sqeaky clean look. Not healthy. And my face stung. I am suprised this was such a failure for me, because I like alot of other Desert Essence products.

on 7/9/2009 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Update: After having tried better products, I realize how this product was so abrasive to my sensitive skin and it didn't clean makeup that well. I enjoy more gentle cleansers. I changed my rating to a 1.

Overall Rating 3
Price 3
Packaging Quality 4
Would you buy this product again? Yes

I only use this right now because I am having a burst of acne and it helps to control it because its very drying. I would not use this all the time and after using it I immediately need to put on moisturizer because my skin is so dry that it is squicking. You know when you clean glass and it makes this squick squick sound? I don't think that is good for your skin.

on 7/9/2009 9:33:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

I really do love this! I needed something to supplement my oil cleansing/steaming regimen, which I have started doing a couple times a week now. This is very gentle on my skin. It left it clean and not overly dry. And it takes off every single trace of makeup (excluding eyes, and it may but directions say not to use close to eyes). I swiped a toner on afterwards the first time I used it to see how much gook it left behind, and there was none. ZERO! I no longer use the toner to remove traces of dirt and makeup. This has really fit in well with my routine. It also works WONDERS on makeup brushes! Love it!

EDIT* I took off 2 lippies because my skin became dry. :( I don't use it everyday now, only if I want a really, really deep clean. It still works wonders on my brushes!

on 7/7/2009 2:49:00 AM

I started using this product along with the moisturizer about a year ago when I thought all hope was lost after trying dermatologist solutions that continued to fail. This surprisingly cleared me up quickly and left my skin feeling very clean. But about 3 months into using it my skin got very VERY dry. I loaded moisturizer on and gently scrubbed at it. But it took about a month before it finally went away. So I had to stop using this. I go back to it every now and then and the same thing happens. Too bad.

on 7/3/2009 4:50:00 AM

this cleanser is so good for my sensitive and combination skin.It cleans well and not drying my skin.It smells herbal.

on 6/27/2009 9:10:00 AM

My skin: Asian, Normal to Dry, Breakout occasionally

Cleanse : very clean and gentle after make up removing
Texture : light and lather up well
Package : normal
Price : drugstore

Smell : Terrible ^.^ but quality worth trying!!!

would definitely buy it again

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I love this stuff - I've been using about a year. General purpose usage. Washed face & body, cleaned brushes, washed my delicates, shampoo. I think that the smell is fresh not strong smelling at all - I don't notice the tea tree at all. You only need a little, not even a full pump.

I only repurchase the 32 oz size and it lasts me about 8 months, I'm only on my second liter.

I don't find this drying but I do moisturize and use lotion (on my body) everyday.

on 6/13/2009 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I first read about this facial cleanser on Vitacost.com and it had good reviews so I stopped by WholeFoods the other day and found it, a little more expensive than online, but my face needed it. I am amazed by this stuff. I have adult onset of acne and I used a new toner with AHA that totally messed up my face. This has turned my face around like nobody's business!! My face is clearing up and my pores are tiny and the white bumps on my cheeks are leaving.
This is a watery cleanser so I got a foamer bottle and poured it in there and now a pump or two and that's all I need and it doesn't run everywhere, less waste. I haven't seen any drying yet, my face doesn't feel tight or dry either. Sure, the smell is strong of tea tree oil but that isn't offensive to me at all. Once you rinse it off, I can't smell any of it.
I intend to keep using this cleanser. My skin reacts very well to tea tree oil so I think this is a keeper.
Update----------8/27/09-I had to stop using this, my skin just got tooooo dried out and then started making more oil which lead to some nasty looking acne that I am fighting now to clean up!! It was good while it lasted.