April 16, 2014 | 1905 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary Hair dye

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2008 4:20:00 PM More reviews by adrenirushxaudri

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

For some reason, I got an itch to turn the bottom layer (naturally, my darkest layer - a deep espresso) to a midnight blue...so I turned directly to Manic Panic because I know they had rich, vibrant colors. I went to Sally's and found a jar of $8 After-Midnight Blue and I bought it...(this was my first experience with Manic Panic-anything, but not my first at-home dye job, I've never had my hair dyed in a salon.) So I got home and immediately went to work. After my hair was washed, I put up my top layers and left the bottom layer down...

This was the messiest stuff I've ever used, there was dark blue spots all over the place and my vanity before I was done...and the only way I got everything off was with nail-polish removed. The dye is just sitting in a jar, it would have been a lot easier to use if it was in a squirt bottle that could be capped. (I do like the fact that you can use a bit and then store it until you need it again.) Anywho, the application, though messy, did turn my hair the exact color I was looking for...a blueish black.

But the very next wash, I ended up turning my white ceramic sink a dull blue that took a week to come out.. The dye will get all over your neck and ears during a shower...and it'll turn your fingernails as well.

Overall, if it wasn't so messy, I would give this product a great review because it did what I wanted it to do (and turned out surprisingly bright on my dark auburn, unbleached hair.) So go and get it...and with that, transfer it to a squirt bottle or something.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2008 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Zevie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For some odd reason, I woke up one morning wanting to put a streak of pink in my strawberry blonde hair. I bought Cotton Candy Pink and applied it for an hour and a half to a strip of bleached hair on my head. The result was a really muted pink. It was pretty but not nearly as bright as I wanted. So I went out the next day and bout Red Passion, which is exactly the hot pink color I wanted! I love it.

Manic Panic does fade really fast. I have to redo my streak at least once a week or it'll completely wash out. I don't mind though. I just reapply the color for about 15 minutes once a week and my streak looks great. I don't think that's too much upkeep at all. Also, I have been dyeing my streak over and over for a month and I still have 3/4 of the jar left. It does dry your hair out a bit, but a good deep conditioner will fix that.

I think Manic Panic is great if you're just looking to color a small portion of your hair. I would look for a better color if you're dyeing your whole head.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2008 12:38:00 PM More reviews by sfortin9075

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

AfterMidnight Blue: I used this for a theatre production. There isn't enough bleach in the kit from Manic Panic, and if you have previously colored your hair--especially if you've used any red- you will need a higher volume peroxide. I recommend going to Sally's or another hair supply store. The first round came out a medium teal, which was cute, but not quite what we expected. Second time the color was a BEAUTFUL dark blue. If this didn't bleed out every time I got my hair wet, I would have kept it for quite a while. It faded quite quickly, however, and getting it out was an ordeal. Bleaching just turned it mint green. Ended up using color stripper, which still didn't pull it all out, and dying my hair twice with a gold-based brown to cover the remnants. I'm not sure I would ever do it again, especially without professional help.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2008 1:33:00 PM More reviews by kdohve

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If your hair if even chin length there is not enough bleach! And thats with their new "33 percent more" gimmick. Even mixed it is very pasty and hard to apply.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2007 8:32:00 AM More reviews by ryden_gorey

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh how can I express my amount of hate for Manic Panic hair dye? For a long time, it was the only stuff available to me, until the stores around here started stocking Special Effects, which is leaps and bounds better than Manic Panic.
With Manic Panic, I had to reapply some color after every single hair wash. I tried five different colors and the only one that would ever stay for a decent amount of time was the red. The cupcake pink never ever showed up, even if I left it in for hours.
Some of the dyes were really watery too.
The only upside to Manic Panic is the packaging because I can dip the brush in the jar and get as much as I want as opposed to squeezing the dye out and getting random amounts.
Never again, unless it's a last resort.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2007 4:57:00 PM More reviews by DianaCtyGrl

Very, very, very drying! I used Vampire Red, I love the color but I hate how my hair felt afterwards. I'll stick with Beyond the Zone.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/18/2007 6:29:00 AM More reviews by cabaretgirl

I have been using Manic Panic Vampire Red for about five years. I adore that unnatural red color that it gives my hair. I color my hair a permanent burgundy to darken my naturally blonde hair and then about a week later put the Manic Panic on. It lasts about three weeks with very attentive care (i.e. only washing every other day with cold water, conditioning frequently, limiting styling products). I repeat the manic panic at the three week mark and then give my hair a one week break before repeating the entire process to touch up my by now blonde roots. I have never had my hair break, "melt", or any of the other horrors a previous poster mentioned regarding using Manic Panic with permanent hair color. The stuff is certainly messy, but after a few applications you'll be old hat and your bathroom, forehead, ears, hands, and nails won't be vampire red.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2007 10:52:00 PM More reviews by beckaE

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used this product several times as it is relatively easy to come by (they sell it at drugstores near me). I have used: Wildfire (excellent colour), Pillarbox Red (came out more pink than red, but it was kinda mixed with the Wildfire leftovers), Aftermidnight Blue (I LOVED this colour...it faded to a beautiful peacock blueish green I got so many compliments...however it is really hard to get rid of, even with bleach) and Hot Hot Pink (LOVED this colour too...wore it to banquet....it fades patchily though). Next I am set to try some streaks of Atomic Turquoise! I can't wait.

I also tried Cotton Candy Pink and I was severly dissappointed. You really need to bleach your hair to a white shade if you want that colour to show up at all.

Some of the colours are so pigmented that I even diluted them with conditioner and they still make my hair vibrant. I love manic panic. I haven't tried other brands, but as long as I am going to do any fun colours I will probably do MP. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2007 9:30:00 PM More reviews by pyrofuse

I've only tried three colors by Manic Panic before switching to SFX.

Wildfire: A gorgeous brilliant red. Problem is, I had to touch it up every other week to keep it from becoming a splotchy orange.

Ultraviolet: Depending on lighting, it can be a gorgeous inky blue or purple. Fades even FASTER than Wildfire, though, and not even to a splotchy orange.. Just to some kind of dead-looking grey.

Enchanted Forest: THIS color, however, is amazing. I left it in for an hour and it didn't even fade except for at the tips for a month and a half! It's a beautiful green with a little blue in it and it stays surprising long for Manic Panic. My favorite Manic Panic, definitely, and even though I'm currently using SFX, I'm most likely going to come back to this color.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2007 8:42:00 PM More reviews by pikacharma

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

Complete waste of money. I've tried several shades, and they either did nothing at all, or gave just a tiny tinge of color that faded out after one or two shampoos - and that's applied to pre-bleached hair! I'm a long-term veteran of nontraditional hair colors, and I've tried most the brands on the market at one point or another. Manic Panic is the worst hairdye product I've ever used, and that includes the time I dyed my hair with Kool-Aid. If you want good, vibrant, funky colors, try Special Effects or Raw.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No