December 17, 2014 | 1898 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary Hair dye

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 11:34:00 PM More reviews by stitcheskisses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I was a teenager this was the only hair dye I would use!I wore After Midnight Blue for the longest,but have also tried Bad Boy Blue,Enchanted Forest,Pillarbox Red,Vampire Red and Ultra Violet.All were great,but the staying power could have been better.After about 4 weeks and washing your hair every other day the color fades out,but you get alot of product so touch ups are not that expensive.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/3/2008 10:00:00 PM More reviews by reaches

Unless they've changed the formula since I last used this stuff a few years ago, it is terrible. And I know from unnatural hair color, having rotated between pink, blue, purple, bright red, etc. for the better part of three years in high school. Manic Panic didn't come out nearly as vibrant as I wanted and lasted through, at best, three washes before becoming extremely muted or disappearing entirely.

Try Special Effects instead. It's roughly the same price and lasts much longer. (About two weeks, which is really all you can expect from these sorts of dyes.)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2008 12:35:00 AM More reviews by Boogins

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a big fan of Manic Panic's HOT HOT PINK. absolutely stunning colour and is black light reactive which is fantastic, especially whilst attending shows! Wonderful colour, but it is a pitty it doesn't last longer. Vibrant for a couple of weeks and then begins to fade. It's also quite an event scrubbing it out of the bathtub. Regardless, I still love Manic Panic and I am constantly using their dyes!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2008 4:07:00 PM More reviews by desertwaya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i have so many of their colors i thought id just kill many birds w/ one stone here. i love their colors exc for elec lizard green which didnt work even on my son who is a plat. blonde. might have been just the bottle i got from Spencers in the mall i dont know but i wont get it again. also the Raven doesnt stay black it turns purple fast in my hair,even when i have it bleached.
other then that i love the colors esp the reds and hot hot pink which tend to stay a long time in my hair bleached or not. the purples are nice and long lasting too.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/1/2008 6:16:00 PM More reviews by devilsXmistress

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used my fair share of hair dying products, and Manic Panic is not one of my favorites. I've used Shocking Blue and Enchanted Forest. Before I put them in I bleached my hair like there was no tomorrow and it was ridiculously damaged, but that's what's supposed to make the dye stay in. When I rinsed it out it was, to say the least, messy. The entire shower was a ridiculous colour and it was a hard task scrubbing it out. The colour lasted vibrantly for about 2 weeks, and then it started to fade and look dingy.
I say if you're looking for an unnatural hair colour, try Punky Colour or Special Effects. I just ordered a bottle of Fish Bowl Special Effects and if it's anything like the reviews and pictures I've seen I'll be very happy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2008 4:20:00 PM More reviews by adrenirushxaudri

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

For some reason, I got an itch to turn the bottom layer (naturally, my darkest layer - a deep espresso) to a midnight blue...so I turned directly to Manic Panic because I know they had rich, vibrant colors. I went to Sally's and found a jar of $8 After-Midnight Blue and I bought it...(this was my first experience with Manic Panic-anything, but not my first at-home dye job, I've never had my hair dyed in a salon.) So I got home and immediately went to work. After my hair was washed, I put up my top layers and left the bottom layer down...

This was the messiest stuff I've ever used, there was dark blue spots all over the place and my vanity before I was done...and the only way I got everything off was with nail-polish removed. The dye is just sitting in a jar, it would have been a lot easier to use if it was in a squirt bottle that could be capped. (I do like the fact that you can use a bit and then store it until you need it again.) Anywho, the application, though messy, did turn my hair the exact color I was looking for...a blueish black.

But the very next wash, I ended up turning my white ceramic sink a dull blue that took a week to come out.. The dye will get all over your neck and ears during a shower...and it'll turn your fingernails as well.

Overall, if it wasn't so messy, I would give this product a great review because it did what I wanted it to do (and turned out surprisingly bright on my dark auburn, unbleached hair.) So go and get it...and with that, transfer it to a squirt bottle or something.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2008 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Zevie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For some odd reason, I woke up one morning wanting to put a streak of pink in my strawberry blonde hair. I bought Cotton Candy Pink and applied it for an hour and a half to a strip of bleached hair on my head. The result was a really muted pink. It was pretty but not nearly as bright as I wanted. So I went out the next day and bout Red Passion, which is exactly the hot pink color I wanted! I love it.

Manic Panic does fade really fast. I have to redo my streak at least once a week or it'll completely wash out. I don't mind though. I just reapply the color for about 15 minutes once a week and my streak looks great. I don't think that's too much upkeep at all. Also, I have been dyeing my streak over and over for a month and I still have 3/4 of the jar left. It does dry your hair out a bit, but a good deep conditioner will fix that.

I think Manic Panic is great if you're just looking to color a small portion of your hair. I would look for a better color if you're dyeing your whole head.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2008 12:38:00 PM More reviews by sfortin9075

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

AfterMidnight Blue: I used this for a theatre production. There isn't enough bleach in the kit from Manic Panic, and if you have previously colored your hair--especially if you've used any red- you will need a higher volume peroxide. I recommend going to Sally's or another hair supply store. The first round came out a medium teal, which was cute, but not quite what we expected. Second time the color was a BEAUTFUL dark blue. If this didn't bleed out every time I got my hair wet, I would have kept it for quite a while. It faded quite quickly, however, and getting it out was an ordeal. Bleaching just turned it mint green. Ended up using color stripper, which still didn't pull it all out, and dying my hair twice with a gold-based brown to cover the remnants. I'm not sure I would ever do it again, especially without professional help.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2008 1:33:00 PM More reviews by kdohve

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If your hair if even chin length there is not enough bleach! And thats with their new "33 percent more" gimmick. Even mixed it is very pasty and hard to apply.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2007 8:32:00 AM More reviews by ryden_gorey

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh how can I express my amount of hate for Manic Panic hair dye? For a long time, it was the only stuff available to me, until the stores around here started stocking Special Effects, which is leaps and bounds better than Manic Panic.
With Manic Panic, I had to reapply some color after every single hair wash. I tried five different colors and the only one that would ever stay for a decent amount of time was the red. The cupcake pink never ever showed up, even if I left it in for hours.
Some of the dyes were really watery too.
The only upside to Manic Panic is the packaging because I can dip the brush in the jar and get as much as I want as opposed to squeezing the dye out and getting random amounts.
Never again, unless it's a last resort.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No