November 24, 2014 | 1359 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Eye Basics

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2004 5:54:00 PM More reviews by jennyb

I first bought this product a couple of years ago, and fell in love with it, but it's very clearly been reformulated recently, because it's not as good as it used to be. The product is like a wand concealer in a tube that you apply on the eyelids as concealer or eyeshadow base. The old version was a bit dry and pasty-looking, but worked like magic. This new formula is smoother and more creamy, and at first seems perfect. It spread easily over my eyelids and dried quickly (but not too quickly), and seemed to help my Nars powder eyeshadow go on more evenly. But after a few hours, the eyeshadow had ALL slid into the crease in a nasty blue stripe, worse than if I'd used nothing at all. OK, so I've got oily eyelids, but this just seemed to magnify the problem. I think it's OK on its own - it still slides, but at least it's skin-colored, so it's not so obvious. But as an eyeshadow base it's no-go. And at 18 a pop it's not a cheap mistake to make.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2004 7:18:00 AM More reviews by Erica2u

I actually got this as a GWP last week. I don't know how I have lived without this product - it gets rid of the dark circles under my eyes,evens out the lids and makes the eyeshadow stay put all day. I will definitely purchase when this runs out.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2004 7:35:00 PM More reviews by SueS

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This was crease city. How disappointing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2004 5:32:00 AM More reviews by jalin

I agree with the other reviewers. I received this in Linen as part of the NM gwp so I'm not sure I would pay retail for it yet but I was impressed with my first use of it. The color is very natural and definitely stays put. I've tried several of the products CryMeaRiver mentions in her review below and this is on par with or better than most. I do have one slight complaint about the packaging...I don't like the idea of applying the wand over my eye area repeatedly so I swipe a bit onto my finger then dot it on. This also helps warm the product up and makes it easier to blend.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2004 10:39:00 PM More reviews by vas_celo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have this in linen and love it so much. It acts as an eyeshadow base and smoothes over dark circles and capillaries to create a perfect base for eyemakeup. Makes my eyeliner smudge proof and eyeshadow last all day. It also brightens and opens up the eye area. :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2004 3:14:00 AM More reviews by girliex601x

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i have super oily lids... so this really helps prevent the creasing of eyeshadow for like 4/5 hours before touch up... which is like a miracle product for me! i have this in bisque and it blends in w/ my natural lids color... then i set it w/ some powder. even though it's expensive, around $27... i think it's worth it and will last me for a while before repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2004 10:32:00 AM More reviews by DianaS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have this in both Linen (pale, neutral nude) and Wheat (slightly darker and a bit more yellow). I use Linen in the winter and Wheat in the summer.
First of all, my dark circles go all the way around my eyes, and my lids are a little discolored, and this product evens out my lid colour beautifully. I don't even bother with eyeshadow half the time.
This also does seem to make my shadows last a little longer, and stay truer to their colour. Not perfect, but better than anything else I've tried. (Similar to Almay Amazing Lasting, but this doesn't look quite as chalky. I couldn't wear the Almay without shadow.) continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2004 11:57:00 AM More reviews by 2westies

I am completely sold on this product! I'm not usually given to hyperbole, and am very careful to consider long-term quality and value before heaping on the praise. But this stuff basically retexturizes and smooths out my eyelid skin, masking dark uneven color, while giving a (dare I say it?) much younger appearance to my eyes. Wheat is the perfect color for me, repurchase worthy for sure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2004 8:02:00 AM More reviews by irishgirl71

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

NC20, Hazel-Green eyes, sensitive skin, frosted hair>>I was anxious to try this product since I have had so many disappointments with eye bases and looking for the "perfect" one. I have such fair skin that is translucent that you could probably blood type me just by looking at my eyelids..LOL! I needed something that covers well but also performs and this eye base does just that! It's pigmented, easy to blend, and sets rather quickly. I chose the Wheat shade which goes perfectly with my NC20 skin! I have tried MAC paints, Benefit FYeye, Ultima II Fade Not Crease Not, Alexandra de Markoff's Disguise For Eyes, etc..and this by far, is the best! No pasty applications, nice pigment, no crepiness, and NO creasing of shadows! Plus, you get a variety of shades to choose from! I have finally found my perfect eyebase! Holy grail status!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2004 1:36:00 PM More reviews by cmkelly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this product!! I have wheat but when i run out i'm going to buy a few others.
I have mmm/ggg skin and at first i used this only as an e/s base. But now i find i actually like it on its own. My eye lid is pretty darkly pigmented and this gives me a much more youthful less tired look.
As other mua's suggest it's very long lasting especially if you are oily/acne prone which i am.
I've been pining to try MAC paints and just made my first purchase.
I didn't find any that could give you a natural by itself look and am unhappy with the color i purchased.