Bare Escentuals Faux Tan

4.2

Water (Aqua/Eau), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dihydroxyacetone, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Sorbitan Isostearate, Xanthan Gum, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer, Ethylhexylglycerin, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Ascorbic Acid, Retinyl Palmitate, Sodium Metabisulfite, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisodium EDTA, Octapeptide-5, Phenoxyethanol, Geraniol, Linalool, Limonene, Fragrance (Parfum). May Contain: Red 40 (CI 16035), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Blue 1 (CI 42090).

on 4/25/2009 7:13:00 PM

I love this. I really like the color that this gives me, it's not orange and I get compliments all of the time. The initial fragrance is almond-like. Much nicer than the drugstore brands. I do notice a faint chemical/fake tanner smell as it's drying but that soon disappears. I bought this as part of a QVC TSV so I got a really nice body brush designed to spread this on. It buffs on so evenly and I don't notice streaking or brush strokes of any kind. The color is quick developing so you're not waiting forever to see results. That's a plus because you're not constantly putting some on and then *poof* you're too dark. Another plus is that a little goes a long way. Some may be hesitant to put down $22 initially but it's well worth it. I've put two coats on initially and then I'll maintain it every 3 days or so. (I'm between NC25/30.) For those with fair skin, one coat should give great results. Pair this with Faux Tan all over Face Color, and wow, you've got a winner.

on 4/22/2009 2:42:00 AM

I decided to try this after reading the reviews, and it's the first self tanner that didn't make me look orange. I ended up having to scrub my hands the first time with a nail brush and baking soda, but now I use gloves. I also love the smell of this product, and that the color shows you where you need to apply it.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

First - There are 2 products from BE and you need to make sure you get the right one. There is a Faux Tan Body Moisturizer
and there is the Faux Tan self tanner- BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!

I go back and forth between sun and ST. Usually I mix a small amount of sun and 2x weekly ST application. I have used MANY ST and I feel that BE self tanner is one of the better ones. The way I apply it is:

Before bed.........
Quick shower, shave and exfoliation.
Moisturize while still wet and pat dry.
Pull hair up and use yellow kitchen gloves (best kind of gloves!!) cut off at the wrist.
Start from the legs and work the way up.
Do face then remove gloves and mix small amount of ST with lotion for hands and feet.
Wait 10 minutes then cover in clothes.
Shower in morning - brown color.

Now like I said, Faux Tan Body Moisturizer is different.
I used it a few days after applying my BE ST and I turned orange!!!
It was different. I threw it out quick!

on 4/19/2009 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I bought this tanner a couple weeks ago at Sephora.I have tried them all and this one is the best one yet.The smell is an amazing almond smell.I put sunsreen 30 on my hands first so they dont get stained and I mix the self tanner with a little body lotion.You dont have to take a shower after and it does not get on youre sheets...love this stuff !!

on 4/12/2009 11:08:00 PM

This is the best self tanner I have tried thus far. I will do a quick summary of the pros and cons:

PROS:

Dries quickly- unlike the St Tropez lotion which leaves you WET for ages!!
-Colour guide ensures you don't miss spots
-The texture is very easy to blend
-Smells good, (until it develops, but that is unavoidable. The 'fake tan' smell is weak though in comparison to many other self tanners.)
-Great colour for fair to medium skin.
-Seem to be able to use this on my face with no side effects, and I have sensitive skin. Non greasy, so no breakouts.
-Develops faster than a lot of other fake tans, especially the high end ones.

CONS:

-Can make you look a bit jaundiced because it's a little too yellow.This effect can be remedied with a little bronzer to the face and chest though.
- The texture is only blendable if you work quickly.If you blend too slowly, the colour will cake up and roll off. If this happens, grab a towel, buff all the product in that area off, and start again.Otherwise, you will be patchy.
-Can't imagine it doing much for olive skin. Try St Tropez or Fake Bake.
-Fades very fast.We're talking about 2 days really if showering daily. This is probably just because it's lighter than many self tans.
-Not cheap,but the ones on ebay appear to be legit.

BTW- The colour in the container will eventually go much greener.Don't worry if this has happened, or if you bought one like this at cut price.It will still make you go brown.

on 4/12/2009 1:00:00 AM

This was the first and last faux tanner I've tried - there's no need for me to go elsewhere! Here's why:

1) I don't turn orange!
2) I like the scent! (It's a yummy cherry/almond combo)
3) I got a huge "big daddy" size from QVC 2 yrs ago, and still have plenty!
4) No streaks!

Seriously, I had my doubts, but I felt pretty good knowing that if it didn't work, I could always send it back. I do exfoliate, shave, and heavily moisturize the night before the first application, and also moisturize the heck out of my hands and wrists right before putting this stuff on (to prevent extra-tanned hands). I only really use this product on my legs, but I never have streaks or issues with splotchy areas. Also, it looks believable on my uber-pale legs, and is buildable (to a point)!

I do have two minor gripes: the price for a regular size bottle is a bit high (I think it's 4 oz for $22?), and I don't see how you could use this without a pump despenser (the 4 oz bottle doesn't have one).

FYI: Every April QVC has a faux tanning TSV from BE - and it includes the 16 oz pump bottle and other stuff for around $50. This year (2009) it's on the 29th and will include a brush for FT and the all over face color in Faux Tan (plus a powder brush). Price is supposed to be about $50. Not a bad deal!

on 3/26/2009 3:08:00 PM

The only BE product that is truly excellent and worth the money. The color guide is useful--the same green tinge as with Fake Bake. The developed color is believable on me (usually super fair, cool toned.) It gives me a slight olive tone which I love. I had been using BBW Strike Gold, but that color turns out way to orange-y on me. Faux Tan has a cherry almond scent that I was prepared to hate, but it's actually totally nonoffensive, even almost pleasant. :) The tan develops evenly, and doesn't fade in splotches. The price is expensive unless you buy the big bottle on Ebay (I think I paid $32 for 16oz., vs. $22 retail for only 4oz.) Overall, the best self-tanner I've tried (compared to: Fake Bake, Jergens, Banana Boat, Strike Gold, Clinique, Clarins, Neostrata).

on 3/11/2009 7:36:00 PM

I am quite naturally pale and always feel like I don't look healthy or glowing. For some reason I react really badly to the sun and it brings me out in a rash so I can no longer get a natural tan. I have tried various fake tanners over the years with varying degrees of success. I found some that suited my body but could never find one that didn't make my sensitive skin on my face flare up. So I gave up because who wants a brown body with a pale face not me. Well I was feeling pretty down about myself and as I had started using the bare escentuals mineral makeup thought what the hell I will give the faux tan a go. Wow I am so glad I did. I used a tanning mitt to apply which made it really quick to do and I had no streaks whatsoever. The colour it has developed into is so natural no hint of orange whatsoever. The tan hasn't made my face go into a rash which is a miracle and my skin looks healthy and I barely need any foundation now. The smell of the lotion was also lovely. I got my bottle of ebay and so didn't pay much more than you would any other brand. The bottle came with a pump top and a normal lid so you can choose which one to use. I am soooo glad I tried this and I am going to keep it up I feel so much better. The best fake tanner I have ever used.

on 3/1/2009 12:48:00 AM

Luckily, this is the first self-tanner that I have ever used and I will never buy another. This gives you a perfect healthy natural looking tan that you can build with more product. The first time I used this, my hands turned an ugly orange color. Now, I wash the palms of my hands right after application to avoid that. I own the huge bottle with the pump to there were no packaging issues for me. The only negative of this product is the slightly overpowering smell.

on 2/22/2009 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

ok so i think i finally figured out how to use this properly (after going through half of the 16 oz bottle :s) you HAVE to exfoliate before, with a srub that has no oils in it, and dry off your skin and rub gently with a towel as well so that you get the most clean state to put this self tanner on. Then apply 1-2 coats, waiting to dry in between (this shouldnt be a problem as it dries pretty quick) have it on overnight, use dark sheets as this WILL stain, and then wash off in the morning and moisturize with a reg. moisturizer or a gradual tanner if you want a darker tan.. and then use the gradual lotion (of your choice) through out the week and repeat the process again in a week. If this is used more often or less often than one week, it will be a streaky MESS leaving you looking like you have some skin condition. This does give nice, true tan color (perfect for olive girls), and lasts through quite a few showers, as long as you dont scrub too hard (not until the end of the week when its time to apply a new coat.) *sigh*, relieving because i thought this bottle wouldnt last me too long.

Video Reviews & Tutorials