April 20, 2014 | 1665 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2013 4:23:00 AM More reviews by Ninabee123

I bought this foundation last year around April at the counter in Myers after the rep told me she had this makeup perfect for hiding flaws, and in my case, redness. She applied this with the Estee Lauder brush, which i bought (too expensive in my eyes). When she applied this I LOVED the coverage! After using Nude by Nature, it was a huge difference but I loved it! I was originally matched for 1W1 Bone, which, after some time grew far too light for me, and later went back and got rematched with 1N2 Ecru. The only thing I might consider changing is the bottle, quantity for price is a rip-off, and the bottle can be tedious to pour, but a pump would more then likely get easily clogged due to the thickness of the foundation.

Pro's:
Really good coverage, a little goes a very long way!
Lasts all day and then some.
Controls shine.
Doesn't feel super heavy, if it does you're probably wearing far too much.
Nice colour selection, may take some time though to find your perfect shade, (beware store lighting!).
Doesn't budge, no residue and doesn't transfer.
Waterproof! (for those moments in the rain or pool)
Doesn't break me out.

Con's:
If too much is applied, removing it means taking it ALL off and starting again.
If too much is applied you look very masky and fake.
Can be difficult to remove, a makeup remover is a must.
I find that it doesn't hold as long unless I use a primer, I use Revlon Photo Ready Primer, but I think it is causing break outs.
Terrible for flash photography, especially in dark rooms. Oh-my-god, to many times am I ghost girl!
Without blush or mascara you look odd, they are a must.
Dries fast, and touching-up is a no-go unless you want pore galore.
I don't know why but i always go through this really fast, I use it everyday, and so far in the past year i have gone through 4 bottles(one a season), though lately I have cut back on the amount I use by a lot!

Overall this foundation though is fantastic! It covers everything I need it too, I have quite the red complexion and it does wonders for my confidence. If you're looking for a long lasting, medium-full coverage foundation then this is it!

-NinaBee123

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2013 7:01:00 AM More reviews by Samp1310

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love this foundation! When I was on Accutane and topical Retin-A it covered ALL my acne scars and imperfections perfectly without ever causing an additional breakout. Because a little goes such a long way I have only just finished my first bottle which I had for 1.5 years. The reasons I don't give this foundation 5 stars are as follows: 1. If you have SEVERELY dry skin and I do mean severe (were talking peeling, itchy, red) it can highlight fine lines and wrinkles if you aren't properly moisturized and 2. The negative "new formula" reviews worry me just a bit, but honestly I love this so much I wouldn't hesitate from repurchasing! This foundation is one of the only ones on the market that I believe caters to acne prone, sensitive, oily, combination, and dry skins and actually works the same for each of them! If you fall under any of those categories and are looking for a nontransferable, full coverage foundation that is non-acnegenic and hypoallergenic and that has a fabulously extensive color range then this is for you!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2013 7:26:00 AM More reviews by cookielicious82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I first tried this a few years and did not like it as it was not really made for people like my skin which is dry with flakes due to retin a use.

But after having bad skin and i deperately wanted to cover it up i went back and tried a sample. The trick is to add a liquid highlight with it (if you have dry skin) and it goes on better and truly looks great. Best to use it with a light hand and ony buid it up in the problamatic areas.

I am currently using Armani maestro with estee lauder in the problamatic areas and looks great.

i got the colour tawny thinking it was great but its a tad dark for me but i mix it with other foundations to try and get a better colour. I am NW25, warm beige in Bobbi brow, nars sheer glow santa fe, chanel 30.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2013 6:22:00 PM More reviews by Missy19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This foundation is sooo amazing. I was debating whether to get MAC Studio Fix Fluid or Estee Lauder Double Wear. I'm so glad I decided to get this foundation. It's not as 'heavy' as people say it is, definitely not as heavy as MAC. I recommend if you have dry skin to put moisturizer on before because it does enhance dry spots. Otherwise, It's amazing! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2013 3:18:00 AM More reviews by labesitos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this foundation. I use the shade honey bronze, I am a mac nc40. I have tried many foundations but I always come back to this one. It lasts most of the day on my oily skin. It gives me a flawless matte look. The big plus is that it does not make me break out which is a problem I have with other foundations. I just wish it had a pump. I put it on the back of my hand first to warm up the product. Then I use use the e.l.f. powder brush to pat it on my face then blend it out. Sometimes I use my fingers and it gives me a flawless finish as well. If you like full coverage makeup you need to try this foundation. It covers all of my blemishes and dark circles. I don't have to use concealer with it.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/13/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by dessiilove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I first bought this product approx 2 years ago and I loved it, but just kept trying other foundations (its a sickness!). i repurchased it recently and right away i noticed it was extremely cakey on my skin and just way too thick.
Pros
-excellent coverage
-noncomedogenic
-lasts all day
-keeps oil at bay (for the most part)
-good shade range
Cons
-no pump
-so incredibly cakey and it will emphasize any dry areas
-too thick, thus not natural looking at all on the face
i returned it right away. if you want to look like you have obvious foundation on then get it, otherwise i would not recommend

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2013 12:00:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

I have had wonderful luck w/ Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Foundation (see my review) which as far as coverage for my mild redness on my cheeks/nose/chin areas is a step up from Revlon Colorstay (see my review). However, I got tired of having to use a color corrector and then the foundation. I am usually all about finding the cheaper dupes for the expensive products, but in this case, I will spend the extra $ and here's why:

1. Coverage lasts about 14 hours if I don't seal w/ Urban Decay All Nighter. Coverage lasts about 10-11 hours w/out. Since I will always have UD, this is not an issue for me.

2. I no longer have to use undereye concealer for my undereye circles OR color corrector to hide my redness - this foundation completely covers both which is THRILLING regarding my redness because I absolutely HATE HATE HATE my redness showing through!!! This product has taken a 3 step process and reduced it to to 1 step = saves me time + $$ :) (PS - also fully covers my 3 melasma spots) :)

I apply w/ my slightly damp BeautyBlender sponge = I get fabulous,even, non-cakey full coverage. I haven't tried any other application method since this one works so well for me! On days that my redness is less red, I can thin this out by using a more damp BB sponge = love the options!

For reference, I'm MAC = NC 15; EM = Fairly Light; Rimmell = Ivory; Revlon Colorstay = Buff; Jane Iredale = Bisque; Avon Smooth Pressed Minerals = T04 (hopefully all this extra info will be helpful to someone)

For me, this is worth repurchasing.

Do be aware that I obtained samples from 2 different department stores that lasted me about 1.5 months so I really got to test drive this product before investing in it. I suggest having a SA apply to a spot on your face and then take 1 of their mirrors and go stand outside to get the true color. The first SA I visited applied 3 different colors to different areas and gave me the absolute wrong opinion as to which shade was appropriate for me. I didn't figure that out (it looked fine in the store) until I checked outside in my car = lesson learned!

If only this came in a pump....o well -:)

Finally - I did also test drive EL Double Wear in Light (01) - see my review - I like the regular DW better only because Light didn't 100% cover my redness and there is no way to increase the coverage level w/out going back to using a color corrector wherease w/ the regular DW, I can thin out the coverage if I want to as discussed above.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2013 11:25:00 AM More reviews by bunnypie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A couple of days ago when I went to Macys, I saw this EL foundation and I really liked the fact that they have it for each skin tone. I got a sample of it in shade 1N1 Nude, since my skin color is light and the undertone natural.
The color is perfect for me, unfortunately right after I wore this for a day and removed my make-up at the end of the day, I saw those breakouts on my forehead and on the cheeks next to my nose.
I was so sad to realize that it is this foundation that broke me out. I really like the way it covers and I wanted to like it so much!
So I read a couple reviews about this product and see now that this foundation used to be much better before, and that now they changed the formula. I am sorry to hear that, because I know how it is to have the perfect product that works great for you and then it is changed into something that doesn't do its job anymore.
Now what I will do is stay with my Giorgio Armani foundation, even though I dislike paying 49$ dollars for it, but at least it does a good job and doesn't break me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 9:20:00 AM More reviews by pemily

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation!! Be sure to work quick as it doesn't mesh well after!!! Can be built up to a flawless finish goes really well with a beauty blender!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 5:15:00 AM More reviews by melly845

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really hope with all the terrible reviews of the new formula of this foundation, that Estee Lauder will wake up and come to their senses and change it back to the old formula. When I heard that they were changing the formula of this perfect foundation and how horrible the new formula was, I immediately found a huge bottle of the current formula on Ebay which I'm hoping should last me until (hopefully) the new formula is banished and the old one comes back. Anyway, to the review of the old formula. My HG foundation. Perfect full coverage (covers all my acne and red marks), lasts FOREVER without wearing off, the colour (Ecru) matches my pale skin perfectly. What more could I want? Only for Estee Lauder not to be so stupid as to try and fix what isn't broken.