October 25, 2014 | 1535 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 10:24:00 PM More reviews by ploydise

I love this product very much. I've finished about 3 or more bottles already. I wear make-up almost everyday and it does not break me out. However, this product is suitable for oily skin. Please be sure your skin is moisturized before applying it. If your skin is very dry and flaky, I do not reccommend because it will make your face look cakey and too made up.

I live in Thailand and the weather is VERY HOT so I'm sure it will last :). I only use blotting paper and touch up with loose powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2012 5:06:00 PM More reviews by oonaghst

I prefer the reformulated version, I think it's got a bit more slip and is less heavy and less drying than the original. This suits me as I've got quite dry, mature skin and as long as I'm well moisturised beforehand, this foundation looks awesome and only a tiny bit is needed for a smooth, flawless and natural finish. I could never be matched colourwise before - I mean it was close, but never quite right, so I am sooo pleased to find that one of the new colours (beige) now matches me exactly. It's become my 'to go' foundation - love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 2:44:00 AM More reviews by xochristyxo

I LOVE this foundation and I'm hard to please. It lasts all day and has great coverage. I think it is one of the best foundations I've tried it all from almost every drugstore brand to Chanel Mac lancome ect..I also have the double wear light for days I don't want as much coverage but still lasts all day. I highly recommend this foundation. I have not yet found anything better. Also the MAC pumps fit on this bottle which makes it better but I'd prefer it come with the foundation already since its a bit pricey.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2012 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Labloah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've fallen in love with Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation, it's become one of those make up items I can see myself never wanting to be without, ever. I've been looking for a long wearing foundation that will last through a work day (I have a very physical job and can get sweaty, especially in summer, and most foundations just don't hold up). Up until this, I had been using MAC's Studio Fix powder, as it was full coverage and easy to touch up on the go, but would find I'd need to touch up two or three times over the day, even with primer and setting spray. But this is the ants pants, the foundation I've wished for but could never find. I never thought I'd find something.This stuff lasts, for hours and hours and hours. I can sleep in this and wake up still wearing it,

The colour range is good, from very pale, to very dark, and a nice selection of cool, warm and neutrals. I'm using Tawny, 3W1, which is a nice match for my gold, rose and peach undertones. Matches almost perfectly with my MAC Studio Fix in NC40

The best part though is the finish, there's a bit of sheen while it's going on, during application it is quite "wet" looking, but once it's dried down and set, it's almost matte and looks just like flawless skin. You do get a reasonable amount of working time for a long wear product too (though not as much as a regular liquid would give you), it doesn't set lightening fast, so you have enough time to blend it over your full face, though I do find it works best applying in sections. I find I get the nicest application with a duo fibre/stipple brush, as it allows me to stipple it on to disperse the colour evenly, then buff into place for a flawless finish. A foundation brush is good for applying too, and will be a little heavier in colour distribution, but doesn't give you the end result a stipple brush will. I've also tried with a flat top buffer, and that gives a nice coverage and finish too, plus I find using either the stipple or buffer, a quick spritz with water on the bristles will help to give a nice fluid coverage without the brush soaking up product. I blot over the top with rice powder while it's still moist looking to really set it well and to mattify further, and then brush any excess powder off with a large fan brush. Despite being a longwear, medium to high coverage foundation, it's not at all cakey, the finish is smooth, flawless, and just perfect. It doesn't make your face feel like a caked on, heavy foundation either, it still feels breathable, lightweight and flexible. And the best, best part? It lasts, truly lasts, and doesn't flake, crack, ball up, get cakey, or wear away oddly like some heavy coverage/longwear foundations do. It's just perfection. I do find if I need a little touch up on high wear areas like nose, chin and forehead if I've had a particularly warm day, I can get away with a little bit of MAC Studio Fix powder just on those areas, as mentioned previously, NC40 is a really good match with the Tawny.

If you're after a more natural look, it may not be for you, but it does come in a light variation (which I haven't tried).

Only down sides for me are the fact that it is so long lasting, it is a little difficult to remove, you need to wash your face well with a suitable cleanser, and a wash cloth definitely helps to remove it, or a cleansing brush. It's also a bit hard to remove from brushes, the fine bristles of the stipple brush I use can get quite hard and caked on if I don't wash it thoroughly straight after application, and if you leave it and don't wash immediately, it will dry hard on the brush. It can be removed through washing, but it does require just a little more effort than most. But it's a price I'm willing to pay for perfect foundation. I really only use my cheapest e.l.f brushes should it have any adverse long term effects on the brushes.

So if you're looking for long wearing, comfortable, flawless foundation, definitely give this a try. In Australia, Double Wear has seen a recent permanent price drop down from $68Au to $50Au, making it comparable to the MAC foundation I was wearing, and only about $12 more than Revlon's Colourstay, one of the other highly recommended long wear liquids (having only nine shades of Colourstay in Australia, it was very hard to find a match, and the finish was a little patchy on my skin). It's definitely worth that little bit extra.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2012 12:07:00 PM More reviews by thankful1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This has been reformulated. The new ingredients are as follows (copied from my box) 12/03/2012. I am putting them in here because someone keeps deleting them from the "Ingredients" listing above. (Many of us are very acne-prone and need to have an accurate and current ingredient list.)

New formula:
    Ingredients: water/aqua/eau, cycolpentasiloxane, trimethylsiloxysilicate, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, butylene glycol, tribehnin, polyglyceryl-3 diisostearate, magnesium sulfate, tocopheryl acetate, polymethylsilsequioxane, methicone, laureth-7, xantham gum, alumina, sodion dehydroacetate, disteardimonium hectorite, cellulose gum, propylene carbonate, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, phenoxyethanol, [+/- iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499), mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891)]

Original formula for comparison:
    ACTIVE INGREDIENT: TITANIUM DIOXIDE 1.00% INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA PURIFICATA) PURIFIED, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE,TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, TRIBEHENIN, PEG/PPG-20/20 DIMETHICONE, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, METHICONE, LAURETH-7, XANTHAN GUM, ALUMINA, BHT, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA, CHLOROXYLENOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, [ /-(MAY CONTAIN)IRON OXIDES(CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), MICA, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891)

21 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2012 5:56:00 AM More reviews by arcss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Estee Lauder re-edited the shades and the formula, it is not the same product any more! it´s much thinner, it doesn´t have the same coverage...I still have a bottle a the old stuff, the best foundation I've ever had.
    To all the members who say "I don´t know what all the rave is about" it's simple, they changed the product, check the reviews on the US estee lauder site.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2012 10:01:00 AM More reviews by Jolie80

I m an outdoor sales rep, i need a foundation that covers well and last in a humid country. This works better than most foundations like color stay. Will continue to buy!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/10/2012 1:08:00 PM More reviews by teitterpated

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently tested Double Wear in Ivory Nude and I'm not really that impressed. My skin is oily, particularly around my nose. At 7am I applied primer, the foundation and then some powder on top. By 12pm I noticed the foundation around my nose was becoming to look quite cakey and patchy. I expect this of cheap foundation but not from Estee Lauder. When I got home at 6pm the foundation around my nose was pretty much gone. Very disappointed and I'm glad I didn't pay any money for it!

I'm back to using Avon matte foundation. I wouldn't say it was better than the double wear, I'd say about the same but it doesn't make my skin feel suffocated like the double wear did and it's not where near as cakey. Plus at £8 you can't grumble.

TLDR: Don't believe the hype, too expensive for what is it.I would not recommend this foundation to those with oily skin (like mine!)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2012 12:58:00 PM More reviews by xKamilax

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oh my god. This is a must have! Seriously I could not explain how much I loooove this product! Its my HG! My story with double wear started when I got a free sample in a magazine so tried it. I started applying it to my face with my Sedona Lace 928 foundation brush but it turned out that it was waaaay too dark for me because Im so pale! It took me a while to take it off my face because its so long wearing! I decided to get colour matched and try it after reading several reviews on it! Its high coverage which I love because I have really bad under eye circles and I get blemishes all the time :( and lighter foundations tend to have lighter coverage than the darker shades which sucks! But this ones is amazing! I only need one layer to cover all my blemishes! ITS AMAZING! If you like a full coverage I would highly recommend this! Im the shade Bone in Estée Lauder and MAC NC15/NC20

rated 1 of 5 on 12/7/2012 7:49:00 PM More reviews by jg3net

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used to use this foundation for last few years and I used to love it. But recently I believe the formula has changed. I have bought new bottle of foundation and it is horrible. It doesn't blend well, settles in fine lines, looks dry and the worst - it looks extremely chalky. Before, this foundation had more smooth finish and now the finish reminds me of the mousse foundations - ends up looking chalky. Estee Lauder - please bring the old formula back!!!!