DHC Velvet Skin Coat

3.8

cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, HDI / trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, silica, propylparaben

on 2/2/2008 6:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I agree with a previous reviewer, it has a very similar consistency to chapstick. I like Smashbox much better. I do not use a primer on a daily basis but I do like it for occasions when I really need my makeup to stay put and look flawless. Smashbox does that.

on 1/31/2008 9:49:00 PM

I haven't read through all the reviews, so maybe someone's said this before but... I don't see it in the 1st few pages here. So... after trying the sample and liking the way it felt, I ordered it - to use some days without much make-up (I rarely wear foundation, so by make-up I mean mascara and a little blush; maybe some eye liner. so, for most days, I wanted it to help fill lines and give a more consistent texture and maybe some moisturizing. On my rarer days, using foundation, etc., I trusted what I'd been told - that it would help with that. I received the stuff and used it about five times. Here are the problems I experienced: First was the size you get for $20 - not much/very small! Next, I'm wondering if I was just having a "good skin day" when I tried the sample. 'Cause when I used it more I found that, on my yellowish, nearly olive skin, it doesn't quite work - makes me look too pale/pasty. I do very much appreciate that DHC has a liberal return policy... so you can guess what I'm doing...

on 1/28/2008 4:11:00 PM

I loved this product. My makeup glided nice and smooth all over and it lasted the entire day. Only downside is that, when I removed my makeup, an hour or two later, there was one small cystic pimple on my chin. Wow! I rarely break out but this product made me break out. What a surprise...and disappointment. I really loved this product. It made my skin look flawless but I think it covers everything and (possibly) covers the pores to the point that the skin can't breathe. I'm not sure i'm going to use this product again. We'll see....
UPDATE: It's been awhile since the original posting of this review and would you believe it's taking a long time for the blemishes to go away. The cystic pimple went away after 3 days and after religious use of triple anti-biotic ointment (my skin's too dry for regular acne creams). But now I occasionally break out in blemishes (or rather, tiny red raised "spots" here and there). It's no biggie since the DHC Q10 Foundation does an excellent job of hiding them but they're obvious when I don't wear makeup. The "spots" are going away though (thank goodness!) but it's just taking awhile. Well, looks like i'm staying away from this product. And I already threw away the sample. :-(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I like this better than other primers I have tried: MAC Prep and Prime, Laura Mercier, and Lorac. It really feels like velvet on my skin. I find I need to use a lot more than a pea size amount to coat my entire face and neck in an even layer. I tried using only a pea size amount and it didn't provide the even base I was hoping for.

I would still like to try Smashbox Photo Finish primer and Monistat Chafing Cream ( heard good things about it on this site lol ) before I say that DHC is "the one" for me. But altogether, it is the best I have tried so far.

EDIT:

I have decided that although I like the feel of this product on its own, it does not really do a lot to help my foundation go on easily or stay put. I wore my foundation with just moisturizer as a base today, and it looked just as good as it does with the Velvet Coat. So I don't feel like this product is necessary.

on 1/24/2008 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I just got a DHC catalog randomly in the mail yesterday. The only thing I tried was the Velvet skin coat primer that night on the pores on my nose and the side of my nose. This afternoon, I had about four red pimples that were inflamed exactly on my nose and side of nose....Yuck, all of the DHC product samples and catalog are in my trash!

on 1/7/2008 3:39:00 AM

I have received two samples of this in the mail, each lasting me three applications. I loved it! I used it with BE only so I can't comment on how it works with liquid foundation. I do know that I saved it for special occasions and I was never let down- application of makeup is flawless and it lasted well over 16 hours!! I haven't bought it yet so I can't say if continual use causes breakout, that's my only hesitation. So far I am sold...

on 1/1/2008 8:53:00 PM

This is a nice primer and did not break me out after using my samples for 6 days; however I notice no difference whatsoever from Velvet Skin Coat and Monistat Anti-Chafing cream.Both feel and look almost exactly alike and my pores and makeup look the same if I apply one on one side and the other on the other. So this is a no brainer. I will stick with the Monistat when I need a primer.

on 1/1/2008 2:24:00 AM

I really like the fact that it gives my skin a really smooth finish. I have acne scars and it completely smoothes them out. It is the only product like this that I've tried that didn't cause any breakouts. It is a little pricey, so I only use it when I know my picture will be taken or for special occasions.

on 12/27/2007 8:26:00 PM

This is my HG primer for MMU hands down. I have tried Clinique, Smashbox, Monistat antichafe gel, Lumene, BE, etc. Why this is better for me is the consistency. It is thicker/drier than any other primer I have come across. Most of the other primers have a runnier, greasy feel to them when compared to this product and they all tend to sink into my pores instead of hiding them, which only seems to accentuate them more after applying my MMU. I got a sample in the mail with one of their catalogs, and I was amazed. I was just on the verge of giving up on MMU because of its notorious ability to magnify your pores. The most infamous MMU company (BE) tried to tell me I was just applying too much of the powder which was causing my pore problem. Well I tried less like they said, guess what, then I had no coverage. Then I tried mineral veil before the foundation, didn't work. I tried all sorts of tips, nothing worked for minimizing pore size until I found DHC velvet skin coat. It is expensive, but I won't be without it anymore. It works well for me under liquid foundation when I use it also. The only thing I do not like is it may clog pores so I only use it sparingly on my cheeks where it is the worst. Haven't had too much problems with clogged pores using it sparingly.

on 12/25/2007 6:56:00 PM

This is so much better than the much-revered Smashbox primer. You can dust mineral powder on it w/o it disolving in flakes as the SM primer does.