August 28, 2014 | 1768 users online

Primer/ Corrector - DHC - Velvet Skin Coat

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2008 1:17:00 AM More reviews by ebonyamberjade

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I like this better than other primers I have tried: MAC Prep and Prime, Laura Mercier, and Lorac. It really feels like velvet on my skin. I find I need to use a lot more than a pea size amount to coat my entire face and neck in an even layer. I tried using only a pea size amount and it didn't provide the even base I was hoping for.

I would still like to try Smashbox Photo Finish primer and Monistat Chafing Cream ( heard good things about it on this site lol ) before I say that DHC is "the one" for me. But altogether, it is the best I have tried so far.

EDIT:

I have decided that although I like the feel of this product on its own, it does not really do a lot to help my foundation go on easily or stay put. I wore my foundation with just moisturizer as a base today, and it looked just as good as it does with the Velvet Coat. So I don't feel like this product is necessary.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2008 7:03:00 PM More reviews by sanckensmom

I just got a DHC catalog randomly in the mail yesterday. The only thing I tried was the Velvet skin coat primer that night on the pores on my nose and the side of my nose. This afternoon, I had about four red pimples that were inflamed exactly on my nose and side of nose....Yuck, all of the DHC product samples and catalog are in my trash!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2008 3:39:00 AM More reviews by RheaDawn

I have received two samples of this in the mail, each lasting me three applications. I loved it! I used it with BE only so I can't comment on how it works with liquid foundation. I do know that I saved it for special occasions and I was never let down- application of makeup is flawless and it lasted well over 16 hours!! I haven't bought it yet so I can't say if continual use causes breakout, that's my only hesitation. So far I am sold...

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2008 8:53:00 PM More reviews by twinmommy44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a nice primer and did not break me out after using my samples for 6 days; however I notice no difference whatsoever from Velvet Skin Coat and Monistat Anti-Chafing cream.Both feel and look almost exactly alike and my pores and makeup look the same if I apply one on one side and the other on the other. So this is a no brainer. I will stick with the Monistat when I need a primer.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2008 2:24:00 AM More reviews by mountaingem

I really like the fact that it gives my skin a really smooth finish. I have acne scars and it completely smoothes them out. It is the only product like this that I've tried that didn't cause any breakouts. It is a little pricey, so I only use it when I know my picture will be taken or for special occasions.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 8:26:00 PM More reviews by bbb111

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my HG primer for MMU hands down. I have tried Clinique, Smashbox, Monistat antichafe gel, Lumene, BE, etc. Why this is better for me is the consistency. It is thicker/drier than any other primer I have come across. Most of the other primers have a runnier, greasy feel to them when compared to this product and they all tend to sink into my pores instead of hiding them, which only seems to accentuate them more after applying my MMU. I got a sample in the mail with one of their catalogs, and I was amazed. I was just on the verge of giving up on MMU because of its notorious ability to magnify your pores. The most infamous MMU company (BE) tried to tell me I was just applying too much of the powder which was causing my pore problem. Well I tried less like they said, guess what, then I had no coverage. Then I tried mineral veil before the foundation, didn't work. I tried all sorts of tips, nothing worked for minimizing pore size until I found DHC velvet skin coat. It is expensive, but I won't be without it anymore. It works well for me under liquid foundation when I use it also. The only thing I do not like is it may clog pores so I only use it sparingly on my cheeks where it is the worst. Haven't had too much problems with clogged pores using it sparingly.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2007 6:56:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is so much better than the much-revered Smashbox primer. You can dust mineral powder on it w/o it disolving in flakes as the SM primer does.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2007 1:49:00 PM More reviews by teesa2you

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got this as a sample. Out of all the primers I have tried this is my favorite. It doesnt feel greasy at all and helps my mineral makeup to last longer, at least I think so. It seems to even out my skin and feels so soft and velvety! I am using a sample of Smashbox primer now and it doesnt even compare to DHC. But the sample they give you for smashbox is more generous.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2007 5:14:00 PM More reviews by akeating

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As someone with extremely oily skin, I am constantly on the market for a good primer that will help control the oil as long as possible. I lvoe the way this product makes my skin feel, but I will admit that it's not the best for controlling oil or even for keeping makeup from "sliding". It does, however, give your skin a nice look even without makeup. I have found that this also a pretty good primer for eye shadow - it helps keep my eye shadow from creasing as quickly as usual.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2007 1:02:00 AM More reviews by escalades

I've been using BE Prime Time and compared to that, Velvet Skin Coat is so much thicker and harder to spread on my skin. I find that after a day at work, my mineral makeup has just slid off my face and I see the spots on my skin that I tried so hard to conceal. I've tried Smashbox, BE, and now DHC. I am going back to the BE. Sorry, DHC - I still love your moisturizers and face wash.