April 20, 2014 | 1521 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals ALL

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 2:51:00 PM More reviews by shamsiruhe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best foundation I've ever used. My skin looks beautiful and it does clear up acne...My skin does get oily. Rather than touch it up, which isn't always possible, I blot cheeks and brow with the back of my hand. This works perfectly.

I would love if it didn't get shiny ever, but I think I would need something that looked less "fresh" to begin with, and that's one of my favorite things about this product.

I am of mixed race and my skin color on my face varies. This gives a smooth even tone and no "makeup jaw".

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2013 5:00:00 AM More reviews by caplicesarah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I started out using this product for its intended use- a foundation! but with my combination acne scarred skin i soon found that the matte foundation wasnt giving me the desired coverage that i was looking for! i was excited to switch up from a heavy feeling foundation to change to a mineral one but it didnt work for me foundation wise! however i did find a way to make it work for me! I continue to use this as a powder over a liquid foundation! and the look is lovely, just right for daytime and it provides nice coverage! I have repurchased the product just to use as a powder.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/15/2013 12:04:00 AM More reviews by bfresh0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I do NOT like bare minerals powders. All of their foundations- the matte, original and the new ready pressed powder- ALL settle into fine lines and pores and make me look old. I am only 24. So just imagine this on more mature skin.... People are brainwashed by the infomercial and marketing and they think this foundation is the best thing for their skin and it will make them flawless with a couple buffs with the brush. NOT TRUE. I have use this with and without a primer, with and without the mineral veil, with and without numerous different moisturizers, with and without setting sprays and with and without a foundation underneath. Nothing stops it from creasing...The only way this powder looks ok is if I use it VERY VERY lightly (almost nothing at all ) over a liquid foundation. But then that defeats the whole purpose of using a mineral makeup. And there are many way better inexpensive setting powders that I could do that with instead.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 7:10:00 AM More reviews by Sunkissed365

I've been using bare minerals foundations and products for years now and will continue to use for an everyday basis!! Great coverage and it's actually good for your skin and doesn't cause acne!! Love it! Try using a primer if it doesn't sit or blend in to your skin right.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2013 6:29:00 PM More reviews by dakotalovexx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using bareminerals since I was 16, I'm now almost 22.

For years I used only bareminerals, but recently I've added other products into my regimen. I have combo skin but it generally gets oily after a few hours. I use the loose powder foundation which is great but it always wore off after a few hours and I'd have to apply. It gives light-medium coverage for the most part, but it was honestly very good to my skin. I'm fair so I'm prone to having pink cheeks but this blends and covers the pink/red very well.

As of now I use a drugstore foundation and top it with bareminerals (bronzer and foundation) and I have no complaints. My skins looks natural and nice and my makeup lasts throughout the night. I'll probably use bareminerals for the rest of my life.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/7/2013 11:01:00 PM More reviews by MaigeAda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The company makes claims about being beneficial for sensitive and acne prone skin, something I've been battling since age 13. After seeing constant advertising and apparent "rave" reviews about Bare Minerals, I decided to give it a try. At the end of the day, it was a pretty bad choice on my part.

When I first applied the makeup I will say, it was much easier then I expected, the coverage was great, and I loved the dewey appearance of my face. I didn't experience any caking or clinging to dry skin as I have read before. The makeup felt light and like my face could breathe. HOWEVER - I went to the gym later that day. While running on the treadmill, BOOM - allergy attack. I have NO allergies - product, food, environmental, medicine - so this was wierd. First, my face starting to burn and itch terriblly. I've read this complaint about the bismuth in BM, yet it got even worse. I started sneezing, the mucus in my nose was bloody (gross, sorry), my head was throbbing, throat and gums swollen. The sneezing and burning subsided once I stopped sweating, but the swelling in my throat and gums as well as a headache lingered throughout the night.

When I went home and showered, I felt much better after washing the makeup off. Throughout the night, my skin was still burning and painful, and it almost felt like my face was somewhat swollen though I can't say for sure since I've never had that happen. Then, I noticed my face had a series of rashes over my cheeks, up my temples, and around my mouth. Though I didn't want to admit it, the evidence was there that the make up was to blame :(

After research, I learned that BM uses a rediculously high concentration of bismuth ocychloride, which though a mineral is artificially modified in labs. They use it to give the make up its shimmery, pearlescent sheen. Though present in a lot of makeups, BM abuses the mineral because, shocker, it's cheaper then safer, natural alternatives. Symptoms are brought on during sweating and direct exposure to sunlight. Since I'm not planning on laying on my couch inside all day, I find this a pretty inconvienent side effect of a make up. I also learned my symptoms were classic of bismuth allergy, namely the itching and burning skin.

After research, I have to say I'm pretty disgusted with BM. I learned that not only do they use an unheard of concentration of very harsh, let alone NOT NATURAL, products, they completely false advertise just to make a penny. Nothing disgusts me more then a company's ill morals.

However, I wasn't truly disgusted with the product until I went to the store to return my starter kit. After "disrupting her from a conference call," the manager tried to tell me first that she had "never heard of this happening," in her 3 years with the company. After literally showing her all of the links of a google search on my phone and the poor rating on this very site, she corrected herself by saying that though it's not "unheard of", she personally has not had manyof those complaints, "maybe once every few months". She then tried to tell me that she's heard of more people being allergic to the "natural" hairs on the brushes then the totally synthetic makeup itself. Seeing as I'm not bald, I find it hard to believe that I am allergic to natural hairs on a brush. Additionally, I went to sephora and clinique afterwards and the technician at clinique told me she herself is allergic to the bismuth in BM, and both technicians attested to the ratio of people with my same compaints being about 50/50.

Overall, I walked away being highly disappointed not only by this product, but their employees as well. I will be trying some of the other natural mineral brands I've read about on the site.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by Funnygiraffe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Let me explain a little about myself:

I'm half Brazilian and half Israeli. My skin is very dry from retin-a but was combination skin before that. I have olive skin with very yellow undertones and have found three foundations that matched my skin tone. Nars sheer glow (I'm Stromboli in the summer and a mix of Stromboli and ceylan in the winter), MUFE HD mix #117 and 123 in winter and I am 123 in the summer and bare minerals, light in winter and golden medium in the summer. The reason I started using BE was because of the color match. When I first started using it I HATED it, so I looked for foundation comparisons and while I tried to get over the chalky powdery look that clung to dry patches, I found mufe hd foundation and while that matched me well and it was liquid (which is what I always used), it broke me out with every use. Then I tried Nars. Love nars, but the staying power isn't all there. Then I heard about using mineral foundation with a mixing medium or with Mac fix +. Oh did things change. Now, I put on my concealer, spray my ELF powder brush (über cheap and better than the full flawless face brush IMO) with Mac fix + (or even a mix of glycerin and water will do look up enkore on YouTube for a good ratio) and swirl tap and buff gently. Don't spray too much or it'll get goopy. Then I repeat and finish with ELF HD translucent powder ($6ish I think) or any other finishing powder; I also like Ben nye banana powder (I used to use the mineral veil but that was doing NOTHING for me). After I'm done I spray my face with Skindinavia setting spray. I cannot sing enough praises for skindinavia as it takes away the powdery look and helps the BE stay on all day! You can also spray Mac fix but it won't help keep your makeup on all day, it'll just get rid of the powdery look. Hope that helps!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2013 11:26:00 AM More reviews by saranov

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Bare Minerals is definitely a product that you either love or hate. I happen to love it. It just works for my skin. It doesn't clog my pores or give me zits (yes!!). It does take a couple of times to get the technique down, but once you do...wow! My skin looks flawless! It seems like it looks even better after a couple hours of wear. I've read that the Bismuth Oxychloride that's used in it can be an irritant to some people, but I've not had any problems with any type of irritation. If you have extremely sensitive skin, you may want to try it out before committing to buying it.

I bought the Get Started kit online from Sephora (it was $62 for a full size brush, a compact brush, a .5oz tube of primer, a concealer brush, the foundation, mineral veil, and warmth). It's a bit pricey, but the package is still a really good deal considering all the items you get. I wear Fair, and it is a perfect match. The Warmth adds just a touch of really natural-looking color as well (if you're fair like me, use very little or else it'll be way too dark). The mineral veil is glorious; sometimes I just wear it by itself. Bare Minerals is definitely an HG product for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2013 2:09:00 AM More reviews by CG1981

I know there are many mixed reviews on this but i have no problems with it. It is often my lifesaver on super quick mornings. I have this in Golden Medium (NC30-35). I also have Pur Minerals which is pressed mineral foundation that tends to be quicker and less cakey with a much more natural look. This gives a more glowy look. I dont get any irritations or breakouts from it. Application sometimes needs some assistance, this can have a tendency to stick to dry skin or get into eye creases, but with a little work its worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2013 1:52:00 PM More reviews by rmarr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I first purchased this makeup, I hated it. But, after it sat in my makeup drawer for a while, I decided to give it another shot. I think the trick is finding the best way to apply it. I started using the BE primer before the foundation and now I love this makeup. I get compliments on my skin all the time. It goes on so smooth and doesn't make you look overdone. A little goes a long way, if you use too much you'll look like a freak. Finding that balance is key.