April 16, 2014 | 2026 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Mega Shine Top Coat

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2009 2:54:00 PM More reviews by noname103

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I much prefer Double Duty over Mega Shine. I didn't really notice that much of a difference in shine level, but my nails chipped much faster using the Mega Shine. Would not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2009 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Flo422

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

More shiny than Sally Hansen's Double Duty. It makes my nail polish look great. If you need a base/top coat, buy the Double Duty one. If you're looking for shine, try out Mega Shine.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2009 4:50:00 AM More reviews by iramasson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I only used this once before I returned it. I expected up to 10 days wear as it says on the package. Instead my polish peeled quicker than it would without a top coat. I notices this polish likes to peel in huge pieces and takes the polish with it. Horrible.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/20/2009 3:25:00 AM More reviews by divakimmy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was really happy with my first use of this product, I thought it went on well enough and it did give great shine and dried fast. So it gets a couple of points for delivering on that end. As far as protecting your manicure or preventing chipping? No go. I didn't find that it protected my nails any better than any other top coat. After giving it another try I found it to be a bit too thick and hard to apply and my nail polish just went gloppy. It states that you can apply to damp or dry nails, but if my nails were damp then it really ruined things. I think it's worth trying, but I won't be buying it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2009 7:57:00 PM More reviews by Pifflove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Black

This is my standard top coat. It dries quickly and has a great brush.

My major complaint is that it doesn't protect manis ALL that well. I've definitely had manis chip on me w/in the first couple days.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2009 10:17:00 PM More reviews by Beacon444

This product is great. Works just as well or better than more expensive brands.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/21/2009 10:59:00 AM More reviews by jazzedbutterfly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

this product is great if you love your polish to chip.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2009 8:20:00 PM More reviews by user24678

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This top coat dries really fast (the fastest I've ever come across) but it makes my nail polish start chipping within just a matter of hours! I'm normally able to get 5 days out of my polish without any chipping if I wrap the polish and top coat around the ends of my nails and underneath the tips initially and then do one top coat touch-up on about day 3, but with this it's literally chipping significantly within 2 or 3 hours. It's horrible! Also, it's the worst I've come across so far for smudging/smearing nail polish. My nail polish looks perfect until I swipe this across over it and it smears it around (also causing the top coat in the bottle to turn pink from the red polish). I would not recommend!
Update 05/11/2009: About 36 hours after I had done my nails with this top coat on top, I noticed all the heavily chipped ends of my polish were lifting off of my nails because of this stuff, and I was actually able to rip the polish off of each nail in one big chunk. This is probably the worst nail product I've ever come across! I think the problem with this product is that it likely contains a lot of alcohol (which causes it to dry so quickly) so it dries out your nail polish underneath and makes it really brittle, causing it to chip and lift up off of your nails because it's so dried out. This is my theory, seeing as how the quick drying products tend to usually chip the worst.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/8/2009 3:08:00 AM More reviews by strickers

This is the ultimate in smooth shine. Unfortunately, it chips horrendously and unless it's used on its own, has horrible lasting power.

But I am such a sucer for shine, and this is the best I've encountered for that, so.... will most likely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2009 9:52:00 AM More reviews by manny1996

This makes any botched polish job look wonderful. I'm always messing my nails up and after a few swipes of mega shine my manicure looks perfect! It also dries faster than I expected. I use this a few days after a professional manicure to freshen up. Mega Shine's been a go-to for me for years.