Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat

3.4

on 1/25/2010 3:32:00 PM

At first, I really liked this because of the beautiful shine that it left on my nails, but then I began noticing that when I used this topcoat, my manicure only lasted a day or two and would begin chipping. I tested it again, over O.P.I. and chipped on the second day. When I use other top coats, my manis last much much longer even if I'm using a lesser quality polish.

on 11/22/2009 11:54:00 PM

Love this top coat! it is super glossy and dries super fast. It applies effortlessly because of its consistency and really keeps my color from chipping. before i started using it my color would literally flake off but now i use it i just see minor wear on the edge of my nails, which is GREAT! most of my manis last atleast a week now, i get tired of the color before I actually NEED to re-do my nails which feels like such a luxury ^_^

on 11/21/2009 8:35:00 PM

I love this stuff. It's cheap and does what it says. When I use this over my polish (usually OPI or Essie), it extends the wear by a week or more and provides great shine. It also smooths out any nicks or imperfections in your polish.

on 11/10/2009 2:55:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

nothing short of holy grail status on this one. incredible patent leather shine - covers up any imperfections in the color coats of polish and turns it into one mirror finish shine. when i do my pedicures with this at home they look better than when i have them done at the salon. seriously. i put a coat of this on every week, and my pedicures last about 3 weeks. amazing!!

on 10/5/2009 3:11:00 PM

I bought this after I heard great things about it and let me just say this stuff is horrible. I guess it does make my nails shine but nothing any other polish will do.
I have tried this over a few different nail polishes, Sephora by Opi brand to cheaper brands of nails polishes and I still get the same result: chipping. I applied this at night and the next day my nails were chipping...bad!
I will never buy this product again!

on 9/24/2009 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

the formula in this one is great it dries really fast and makes my nails shiny although soimetimes i notice that it makes my nail color less vibrant which i don't like at all.. my only big problem is with the brush which does not help at all it is stiff and ruins perfectly applied nailpolish esp when its still too wet. its my first topcoat and i would want to try other topcoats first after this one

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I totally agree with the previous reviewer. However, since this top coat doesn't really "protect" my nail polish color, I prefer to use it a base coat and it does make my nail color last longer and hardens my nails. I love this stuff.

on 9/12/2009 9:46:00 AM

Pros
- dries very fast
- provides great shine
- easily accessible, sold in almost all grocery stores and drugstores
- cheap, can usually be found on sale for around 6 dollars

Cons
- doesn't protect that well. the polish starts to chip and fade by the third day. I find that applying two thin layers of polish, followed by a thin layer of this, is the best formula for longevity.
- like other top coats I've tried, has a very strong chemical smell
- you need to wait a little bit before putting it on, otherwise it can drag the colour

I only have this and the Seche Vite topcoat. The two are very similar in all aspects. The Seche Vite feels like it protects a manicure for a longer period of time. All in all, this one wins, hands down because of the price and availability. I don't really mind the fact that this one isn't all that protective - I like to change my polish at least every week anyway.

on 9/10/2009 11:59:00 PM

this is an amazing product! I use very dark or red polish in a mani/pedi and use at least 3 coats, so it's important that it dries quickly and gives a good shine. I hate smudging a perfect mani/pedi through bad topcoats

I can go to bed or put shoes on, wash hands etc almost as soon as I've applied this topcoat. It's amazing! It has never let me down,and I feel it's a true beauty classic/essential. No other product has been nearly as good as this (including pricey ones and other Sally Hansen products)

I usually top up every few days and it really makes a tired mani/pedi look like new. it's also good if you have chipped nailpolish as you can touch up the chips then use Mega Shine on top and it dries almost immediately and looks like new!

I love make up/beauty products etc but have never felt this strongly and been so loyal to a single product before! Am stockpiling just in case!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

In one sense I like because this topcoat can amazingly transform lumpy manicure disasters like streaking or bubbling into an perfectly even smooth surface. Probably because its a thick gel-like formula. But on the other hand it does cause a manicure to become brittle and lift or chip off in very large bits the next day. I like the gorgeously thick brush cause it makes application quick and easy to control but I wouldn't buy this formula again.

Popular Top/Base Coats