September 1, 2014 | 1248 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Mega Shine Top Coat

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2009 2:04:00 AM More reviews by periplaneta

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

the formula in this one is great it dries really fast and makes my nails shiny although soimetimes i notice that it makes my nail color less vibrant which i don't like at all.. my only big problem is with the brush which does not help at all it is stiff and ruins perfectly applied nailpolish esp when its still too wet. its my first topcoat and i would want to try other topcoats first after this one

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2009 11:14:00 PM More reviews by loverofmineralmakeup

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I totally agree with the previous reviewer. However, since this top coat doesn't really "protect" my nail polish color, I prefer to use it a base coat and it does make my nail color last longer and hardens my nails. I love this stuff.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2009 9:46:00 AM More reviews by marvin1

Pros
- dries very fast
- provides great shine
- easily accessible, sold in almost all grocery stores and drugstores
- cheap, can usually be found on sale for around 6 dollars

Cons
- doesn't protect that well. the polish starts to chip and fade by the third day. I find that applying two thin layers of polish, followed by a thin layer of this, is the best formula for longevity.
- like other top coats I've tried, has a very strong chemical smell
- you need to wait a little bit before putting it on, otherwise it can drag the colour

I only have this and the Seche Vite topcoat. The two are very similar in all aspects. The Seche Vite feels like it protects a manicure for a longer period of time. All in all, this one wins, hands down because of the price and availability. I don't really mind the fact that this one isn't all that protective - I like to change my polish at least every week anyway.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2009 11:59:00 PM More reviews by lollypops33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

this is an amazing product! I use very dark or red polish in a mani/pedi and use at least 3 coats, so it's important that it dries quickly and gives a good shine. I hate smudging a perfect mani/pedi through bad topcoats

I can go to bed or put shoes on, wash hands etc almost as soon as I've applied this topcoat. It's amazing! It has never let me down,and I feel it's a true beauty classic/essential. No other product has been nearly as good as this (including pricey ones and other Sally Hansen products)

I usually top up every few days and it really makes a tired mani/pedi look like new. it's also good if you have chipped nailpolish as you can touch up the chips then use Mega Shine on top and it dries almost immediately and looks like new!

I love make up/beauty products etc but have never felt this strongly and been so loyal to a single product before! Am stockpiling just in case!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2009 9:35:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

In one sense I like because this topcoat can amazingly transform lumpy manicure disasters like streaking or bubbling into an perfectly even smooth surface. Probably because its a thick gel-like formula. But on the other hand it does cause a manicure to become brittle and lift or chip off in very large bits the next day. I like the gorgeously thick brush cause it makes application quick and easy to control but I wouldn't buy this formula again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2009 4:48:00 PM More reviews by trincess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've read many bad reviews about this product, but it really works well for me. I use this and Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, the latter for Konad purposes, and this one for solid colors. It's the brush that smears nail art, not this product, so if you have a clean, natural hair nail polish brush, you can use this to apply over Konad, too.
I don't use this for drying my wet polish, I just apply a coat after my nails are moderately dry, but still dentable. The coat shouldn't be thick, a thin coat normally does the trick. My nails become very shiny and I've never had any chips or tip wear even after three days and an hour of dishwashing. If applied after moderately dry polish, I don't experience shrinkage, and even dollarstore polishes stay for at least 3 days. I haven't tested the product for 10 days as it claims, but all the negative feedback was definitely not in question for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/30/2009 2:54:00 AM More reviews by foxieq

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this in a gift pack. This top coat is so bad that it made me able to peel the whole nail polish coating off in one good piece. Fun, yes. Functional, no.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2009 2:50:00 AM More reviews by Indrawn

I got this from a friend who no longer needed it. It applied on very smoothly and was shiny, but I found it did nothing to prolong my manicure. It is not an 'extended wear' top coat as it advertises. It was only around 2 days when my manicure started to peel off in large chunks. Once I was playing around with my nails and the ENTIRE manicure peeled off in one piece lol.

My bottle of this now sits on my shelf unused. I only do French manicures now and even my $2 BYS base coat (very very poor quality) works better than this in prolonging my manicure.

EDIT: I tried to give this another chance, really. It's so expensive in the shops so I figured that it must work, and it was just having a bad day the last time I used it. So I used it on one nail over my Rimmel Posh Trash just to test it out. Nope, it didn't have any effect whatsoever. That nail still chipped within 2 days like all the others. If anything, this *dulled* the manicure (Posh Trash doesn't require a top coat to look good). So this polish is going back to retirement.

- - -
PRICE [3] | PACKAGING [3] | REPURCHASE [no]

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2009 2:54:00 PM More reviews by noname103

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I much prefer Double Duty over Mega Shine. I didn't really notice that much of a difference in shine level, but my nails chipped much faster using the Mega Shine. Would not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2009 11:42:00 AM More reviews by Flo422

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

More shiny than Sally Hansen's Double Duty. It makes my nail polish look great. If you need a base/top coat, buy the Double Duty one. If you're looking for shine, try out Mega Shine.