April 17, 2014 | 1640 users online

Treatments - Elizabeth Arden - Eight Hour Cream

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2011 7:45:00 PM More reviews by Arenal

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Intellectually, I understand that this is vaseline + lanolin + Vitamin E in a fancy jar/tube. It shouldn't work any better than stuff you can pick up at the dollar store.

But. It. Does. It's kinda magic that way, and therefore worth the money. (I save $$ by purchasing mine on eBay.)

I've had a small patch of irritated, red skin in the outer corners of my eyes for months, and have tried the following, all mostly unsuccessfully:

Argan Oil
Nivea Creme
M. Asam eye cream
Signature Club A eye cream
Rosebud Salve

:::::::plus others I can't recall.

I remembered the tube of 8-Hour Cream I'd gotten in an Arden GWP last year, and applied it to the irritated eye. This morning, it's normal-colored and all irritation is gone. Magic? I think so.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2011 11:52:00 AM More reviews by SChiara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm very irritational when it comes to this product. I hate how much I love it. Eventhough I KNOW that it's petroleum based - and I know that petroleum coats the skin with a protective layer, but does not do much in terms moisturizing. Plus it's cheap. I KNOW that, but it still FEELS moisturizing. It's stinky, but somehow I love the smell. Something is wrong with me.
---------
PROS:
- It has a very um, unique smell. I personally love it.
- It has a nice consistency; not like vaseline, which is very thin. It's thicker and coats the skin/lips very well.
- I use this cream for so many things: on chapped lips, on dry elbows/other dry spots, on little cuts or burns to keep the wound from drying out and causing a more obvious scar. I've even used it on my cheeks and temples (mind you, I have dry skin) at night. My skin soaks up the product during the night and I wake up with super soft and radiant skin.
- One tube will last you forever.
----------
CONS:
- WHAT.IS.WRONG.WITH.ME? I must be crazy applying petroleum jelly to my entire face and calling it a miracle product!
- People tell me this product smells. When I open up my tube during class, and people are sitting close to me, I feel a little selfconscious about it. But then I get a little whiff and think "ahh, this so smells nice".
- It's expensive for the ingredients
----------
I wouldn't neceseraly recommend this product, as it turns you into a lunatic ;). All kidding aside; there isn't a real justification for the price tag. Petroleum and Lanolin are both pretty common and cheap ingredients. Both petroleum and lanolin are prone to controversy. Some say that petroleum coats the skin but does not moisturize much. I've even read it can be drying. Shea butter works much better supposedly. Lanolin used to be associated with irritation of the skin, but recent studies have shown it's fine to use a moisturizer.
There's salicylic acid in this cream, but I've never noticed much in terms of exfoliation. The ingredient list shows nothing about the quantity of this ingredient, or the the ph level that's needed to make the ingredient work.
But still, I will continue to use it. Writing this review has actually inspired me to put some on my face tonight. This cream is like a bad habit I can't seem to lose; I love using it even though I know I have much better moisturizers than this. Will I repurchase? Yes, damn it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2011 11:59:00 AM More reviews by HollyMarie

I have had this product for a couple years and would use it on and off for lips, highlighter etc.. I always heard that this is Victoria Beckham's favorite product-well the last few weeks I have been applying it before bed around my eyes and let me tell you I have been very pleasantly surprised-very hydrated and smooth looking when I wake up! I have not even touched any of my other eye creams in about 3 weeks this is just great-I apply it a bit on the upper lid and around the eye area and I really have noticed a difference-its tacky going on but it does absorb and in the morning I have really liked what I see! And of course you can use it for lips and even after you apply shawdow just rub a little big on it and it just shimmers! A tube will last you at least a year or 2 so the price is totally worth it! Great multi use product!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2011 10:39:00 PM More reviews by DrZoidberg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is not just glorified vaseline! There is something extra soothing and healing about this product which keeps me coming back for more. Maybe it's the Lanolin in it, I don't know. But it's a magical balm which works when others fail. I use this mostly as an overnight lip treatment but I have used it on weird scaly patches on my skin with great success. I don't really use it for much else. It's way too thick to apply as face moisturiser or hand cream. I know others find many uses for this though, so it's interesting to read the reviews. It has a scent you'll either love or hate, but I love it. I am so used to it now I barely notice it! This thickens quite substantially in cold weather so it may be harder to apply but that's ok. A tube lasts me FOREVER so it is well worth the price but I usually pick this up pretty cheap at the airport anyway ;-) 5 Lippies. Staple product for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2011 10:07:00 AM More reviews by BayRidge

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

What a polarizing product! Yes the smell takes some getting used to, the colour is odd, its inconvenient to carry the tube around... but I happen to love it. I got this at Marshall's $9.99 and its helped my chapped lips like no other. Others have documented its myriad uses, they are all true! Eyebrow groomer, lip balm, facial luminizer, cuticle cure.... just a few!

For me, the best usage is on my face. I've started to get some flakey skin from using a retinol at night (makes make up application a nightmare!). When this happens, I skip the retinol and warm up a tiny bit between my fingers and spread all over my face. Really, the smallest bit is all that's necessary. Also use it under my eyes. I wake up with smooth skin. So if you're on a retinol product, I would highly recommend this as a cost effective option to alternate into your skin care regime to prevent or take care of flakey skin.

I prefer to use this (as opposed to Aquaphor) because its got salicylic acid so it doesn't clog my pores...

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2011 9:00:00 PM More reviews by GirlOverboard

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this. Yes, it's essentially apricot-colored Vaseline with a worse smell, but I love it anyway. I have lips that are so dry, I'll drown them in lip balm before bed & wake up eight hours later with pockets of dry skin all over them. That doesn't happen with using this 2-3x a day as lip balm (which, by the way, it lasts VERY well as!) I don't use it on my face (other than once on my eyelids for a cool slept-in-my-makeup look,) and I'm pretty sure it'd cause me to break out if I did -- but it's fantastic on my dry elbows and chapped heels. Definitely a great thing.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2011 3:58:00 AM More reviews by janjarang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

UPDATE: I decided to give this cream another try. This time I used a very small amount and mixed it with my night moisturizer. The result is GREAT. I woke up with a healthy and dewy glow. After I washed my face, my skin still felt plump and hydrated. It was like giving my usual moisturizer a boost.

I also used a tiny bit of this creme all over my face while having a hot bath. Normally, I would wash my face, take the makeup off and take a bath. My face would turn really dried afterward. However, by using this creme, my face felt hydrated and pampered after a bathing session. The result was wonderful.

I now also use it with dry patches (on face/body) and it works great.

I think this cream isn't meant to be used as your regular moisturizer but it gives a good boost to the moisturizer you're already using. And it's also good as a lip balm.

Will I buy it again? I don't know. Last time I got it on sale so if I can get a special prize again, I might do it. Give it a try.

--------------------------

This is not cream; it is more like very thick and sticky Vaseline (with an expensive price tag). It is very good as lip balm, I agree. However, your regular Vaseline also works the same. I don't understand how some people could possibly put it on their face since it is wayyyy too sticky and doesn't absorb at all (I felt like I had applied some glue on my face).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2011 5:01:00 PM More reviews by amorverdadero

I don't want to sound like a moron, but lately I see no reason to have this cream in my beauty bag. Yes, it's good all purpose cream but I've been using pure aloe vera gel instead of the 8 hour cream for everything except of the lips and find it just as good, if not better, and of course much less expensive. Plus the one thing I've never liked about the 8 hour cream is the stickiness of it. I looked at it again the other day at the beauty corner and failed to see a reason why to purchase it. If it works for you, enjoy it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2011 4:39:00 PM More reviews by diddyscafe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I've had a 50 ml tube for years so the price is justified. Among other uses, this is the stuff I use to remove long wearing lipstick and boy does it deliver! It leaves my lips soft and plump, with no oily afterfeel like others. What more can I say that wasn't said already here?. Love it!.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2011 2:53:00 PM More reviews by msgrape

Been using this for the last 8 years and love it! I cant believe I never wrote a review on this stuff. It is a bit pricey, but I have had the same tube for the last 4 years. I literally use this little tube for everything. Mostly, for my lips. Keeps them beautiful and moist. Have used it on cuticles, cuts, burns and my split ends. Works like magic.