Maybelline Volum Express Mascara

3.6

on 8/10/2009 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have the curl one.

It does NOTHING for length.
A bit for volume, but it can be very clumpy.
Very difficult to get at the inner corners of my eyes.

Doesn't work too well for Asian-y eyes, in my opinion.
It's alright, I still use it, I just don't think it works wonders for me, I'd have to pair this with a lengthening mascara too.

It doesn't really hold a curl either.
Won't buy again.

I think it smudges a bit too.
It just might be me though, maybe if I tried it again it'll look better. I might update this.

on 8/8/2009 11:15:00 PM

There are 3 different types of this product so I don't know which one everyone is reviewing. There is 3x, 5x, and 7x.

3x is the one that first came out. I liked it at the time, but since trying 5x and 7x, it doesn't volumize enough for me. I tried 3x again recently (because it is the only one of these mascaras to still offer a curved brush) but I hated it.

5x is the highest available in Japan, so when I am there it is what I buy. In Japan they still carry the 5x non-waterproof curved brush, but in the US the only curved brush that comes in 5x is waterproof; I want a curved brush but don't wear waterproof mascara so I was bummed when they discontinued the curved brush for 5x non-waterproof in the states. Basically, the one I buy in Japan is my favorite.

7x doesn't come with a curved brush period, but this is what I buy when I am in the States. I don't like it as much as 5x but I can only ever find 5x in Waterproof, even if I consider settling for a straight brush. 7x is nice but very clumpy. You will get a TON of volume in 1-2 coats, but since it doesn't com with a curved brush you will have to curl your lashes first, and you will have to separate your lashes with either an eyelash comb or a smaller mascara brush after application. It's a lot of work but I have not yet found any other mascara to give this much volume.

None of these mascaras give any added length if you already have long eyelashes. It gives little brittle pieces at the end of your lashes but I just pluck those off as it looks chalky and stiff.

on 8/8/2009 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

you will not get dramatic lashes with product ....
i think this is a GREAT every day mascara for work and school ..
my lashes were tastfully darker and bit longer
ive gone through a few tubes so far

on 8/7/2009 4:01:00 PM

After reading the great reviews on this product, I went and bought it, of course. I don't like it but I don't hate it either. My over all opinion is 'meh'. My lashes looked longer, but I found the formula took a few seconds to dry. Second coat was no improvment over the first and clumps started to develop, although easily brushed out with a baby toothbrush. My lashes didn't look thicker or longer, they just looked darker and that was about it.

on 8/7/2009 2:06:00 AM

the best mascara ever,been using it for atleast 6 years now,and love it,i already have long lashes,but this adds volume,i get compliments on my lashes all the time,people think im wearing falsies.highly recc.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really like this mascara:) the packaging is nice and it was really cheap, only about five dollars. It doesn't irritate my eyes or anything and it stays on pretty well. Definitely one of my favorites.

on 7/29/2009 10:29:00 AM

My mother always said the key to a good mascara is a good brush. :) and she is soo right. i love this product, great for an everyday mascara, very quick to apply and it looks great even after a hard day at work.

Basics

Brush - best i have found yet, dense short spiraling bristles, get right to the root with no mess.

Smell - smells like a sweeter version of witch hazel.

Coverage - excellent

Color - i have very black and think it is fantastic!

I have found i have little to no clumping with this mascara even when applying it half asleep in the morning.

okay rave over!!!! hehe. great product

additional: over a period of weeks of using this i have found it drys out fairly quickly and begins to clump.

on 7/22/2009 10:14:00 AM

It is good, it stays on and it really gives you the volume and little bit of length, but the biggest problem for me was that it NEVER dries! After applying only one coat, it was still sticky even though hours have passed. It is a big problem for me, so I give it a 2.

on 7/12/2009 12:32:00 AM

This is my HG mascara but it could be due to the fact that i have very fine, thin, lashes. This mascara lengthens, never clumps, and never flakes. I have a beautiful natural look in a few coats :) This is the only mascara that i feel great about using alone with my routine cat-eye for those days when I'm running late. Easy to remove and holds up all day.

on 7/10/2009 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

I have read the reviews here on MUA and have saved money and potentially avoided costly mistakes. I have bought some products that I would not have even known about if not for you reviewers. So I thought Iíd contribute too and hopefully others can make some informed choices as I have. I'm really impressed with this.

This is a good mascara. If you canít get hold of Full & Soft then this would be my next recommendation. It retails in the UK. The brush is thick and curved but I donít think it actually helps to curl your lashes but is better to use than a straight brush. It is easy to apply close to the lashline and as you wiggle it up your lashes it covers well. Lashes appear longer and thinker. Try it, you'll like it.

Popular Mascaras