April 20, 2014 | 1489 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Great Lash Mascara Blackest Black

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2010 9:30:00 AM More reviews by kittybearchiyo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is what my mother has always used, and apparantely been around for a long time. One day I ran out of my own mascara and wouldn't have the money for more for a week or two, so I used this..

This is possibly the most disgusting product I've ever used.

And I tried to make it work, I really did. I wiped off the brush to make sure there wasn't too much, tried layering, tried every little mascara trick that exists, but this mascara is just a goopy, sticky mess, and no matter what I do I can't avoid the clumping and smudging and general mess it makes every time I touch it.

Maybelline has some great mascara, and has discontinued some really good ones...why is this still being sold?

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2010 3:29:00 PM More reviews by o0needia0o

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Overall: I love this mascara! I've been using it for as long as I can remember. It's brush is small so you can get all the little hairs! It's not one of those mascaras that will add length to your lashes or anything, but it's great for everyday wear. =)

Price: Great. Usually pay about $5.. Sometimes you can hit the jackpot and get them in a 2 for 1 package for under $7.

Packaging: It's in a nice bright pink bottle - easy to spot! =P

rated 1 of 5 on 11/30/2010 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Ntuitive1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Let me preface this by saying that I am 52 years old and have been wearing mascara since I was 14, so I think I know a little bit about Mascara and how to apply it. My first mascara was Great Lash and back then it was wonderful and nothing compared with it. Now, in a word, it sucks. I am sure that the formula has changed many times over since I wore it and if memory serves me right, that's probably why I stopped wearing it in the first place 20 years ago.

It's not like I don't know how to apply it, either. I know how to "layer" and "wiggle" and all sorts of tactics to get the best results out of a mascara, but this stuff won't respond to any of that. Really, it's like I put nothing on my eyes after all of that!

Honestly, I have heard that magazines push products they really don't like and I'm more than sure that this is one of their favorites to push for no good reason other than Maybelline wants to keep it on the market for some unknown reason. Many much better Maybelline mascaras have come and gone but this one remains and why I can't imagine, since most real people reviewing it don't seem to like it. I am still mourning the loss of Maybelline's "Lash Stylist", "Sky High Curves" and many others over the years that have bitten the dust, yet this garbage just won't die. Why, Maybelline?

If you're looking for the effect of the original Great Lash, stick with "The Falsies" or something like that, but whatever you do, don't fall prey to the hype on this stuff!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2010 4:27:00 PM More reviews by JonMoss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

So I just decided to buy this mascara on the whim (I'm always experimenting with new mascaras). Like the reviewer below said, you have to layer it. The mascara does not flake. The only problem I have with this mascara is that it burns my eyes,. I love Maybelline mascaras, but Great Lash is not for me. I will stick to the Falsies!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Dive14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

Okay. To all those condemning this mascara to hell can I just say one thing: LAYERING. That is the KEY WORD with Great Lash. Are you applying one swipe in a zig-zagging motion like you do your Diorshows and Faux Cils? If so, that is where you are going horribly, horribly wrong. The other key word with this mascara is PATIENCE. So you might want to skip this if you are time-poor when it comes to getting ready. I will explain how this works. Step 1: Apply Great Lash on eye #1, trying to coat every lash. Step 2: Allow to dry and repeat on eye #2. Step 3: Go back to eye #1 (the lashes of which have now had a chance to dry a bit) and apply another layer. Step 3: Allow to dry and repeat on eye #2. ETCETERA. Do this until you have the desired effect. It will take a good 5-10 minutes OR MORE but I for one am willing to put the effect in because the results are worth it. The formula is quite wet so it may take a while to dry, so yeah if you have approximately 10 minutes to get ready don't even go there. Anyway, your lashes should end up looking clump-free, long, separated and just perfect. I used to be an avid watched of Big Brother UK and one of the contestants had the most beautiful, dramatic, fluttering lashes. I remember how I used to watch in amazement as she applied this mascara, spending what seemed like an eternity. But the good thing is that once you are done the formula dries rock hard and lasts and lasts and laaaaasts. You can get away with sleeping in this one. It's also (again, not sure whether down to the brush or formula) not prone to clumping so this makes it great for 'top ups'. I actually pretty much always use it for this purpose or as a finishing coat with most of my other mascaras too. Also, the first time I used it I was shocked by how rich the black colour was (Blackest Black). It seems to make my green eyes even green-er. And it's cheap. I always have a tube around somewhere, can't think how many I've gone through and it's a definite HG... LOVE!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2010 7:35:00 AM More reviews by emma010294

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

WIthin 2 hours of putting this on I have the panda-eyes!

Mascara seems to clog on the brush, I need to wipe the brush clean before each use.

I found it didn't come off as easily as others I have tried.

Basically, apart from the funky packaging, it was a disappointment and I'm looking to buy a new mascara way before I have used all of this one up!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/2/2010 4:09:00 PM More reviews by heythereamanda

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the worst mascara, and also the worst product I have ever used in my life. It's cheap, and I can easily apply it to my bottom lashes, but it smears so easily. And if smearing is not bad enough, my eyes swelled up and I realized I had an allergic reaction to it. I found that I'm not alone on the allergy, because it has done the same thing to many others. I heard that they put collagen in this product? I also heard that was a big reason for the allergic reaction. I will never EVER buy this product again, because I do not enjoy having puffy, red, itchy eyes. I think this product should be recalled and discontinued.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/27/2010 10:14:00 AM More reviews by elle26

I've read all the reviews online and I know that everyone says it sucks but I just had to give it a go because it was getting so much hype and the packaging is really very cute and iconic!

Bottom line is, I'm glad I finally got this stupid mascara out of my system. It really doesn't do much. It's very wet and gloopy and clumps and you need a bit of patience if you want your lashes to look halfway decent. It's buildable but doesn't lengthen or volumise much. There are much better mascaras out there. Don't waste your time!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2010 5:14:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

why, oh why, has this mascara won so many awards?

The brush is small and picks up wayyyyy too much product.
The mascara formula is very wet and clumps immensely.
It flakes.
It makes a mess when you try to remove it.

I hate this mascara with a passion.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/18/2010 4:43:00 PM More reviews by alexlovesmakeupfun

AAAAHHH!

comes off so easy,i look like a raccoon halfway through the day!stings really bad and does nothing good.clumps really easy and makes a mess of the tube.no wonder its so cheap.but,if you comb it out and maybe curl lashes it adds color,I guess.