July 29, 2014 | 1033 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Great Lash Mascara Blackest Black

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2010 6:50:00 PM More reviews by getdolledup91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really had high hopes for this product! I remember growing up, my mom always used this stuff, and of course, every little girl admires their mom's beauty. Well, when I finally started to wear makeup myself, I began trying other mascaras, but I had always wondered about this one... No more! Now, I know. Totally doesn't work for me!! The consistency is too thin and goopy. Not only does is do nothing for my volume OR length, but it also flakes off and smudges way too easily! It is affordable, and the packaging's cute, but that really doesn't matter when you take into account the product quality. The only good comment I have is in regards to its dark black color. Other than that, spend your money elsewhere!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2010 1:35:00 PM More reviews by taylorxblaine

This is my HG mascara. After trying mascara after mascara, this is the only one that works as well as this one does. It makes my eyelashes look "pretty". It doesnt do a whole lot for volume, but they look REAL. For any girl that wants to find a cheap mascara that gives you a soft, natural, but defined look, this is for you!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2010 1:28:00 PM More reviews by ckgurl714

It's not like anyone would want to buy this based on the reviews here, but here goes. Ok, so I don't HATE this mascara like most people. The almost-watery texture of it leaves it as one of the most natural looking mascaras I've ever used, and I'd way rather have eyelashes that don't stand out too much than spidery lashes that other mascaras offer. In high school, I wore so little makeup, if any. I have dark brown hair, but blonde eyebrows and eyelashes. This mascara would potentially be perfect for a no-makeup day because it lightly coats lashes just enough that they're noticable, but definitely not attention grabbing. My real qualm with this mascara is it doesn't dry or stay on your eyelashes at all. It gives you racoon eyes within hours. WAY faster than any other mascara. The waterproof version would potentially be better because it's waterproof, but that one is just clumpy. Unlike a lot of people, I do understand why makeup artists recommend it. It's so natural looking. I would imagine it being great for shoots where you want the model to look naturally perfect, not like she's wearing makeup. There is a makeup artist on-site to perfect anything that may go wrong if it smudges, etc. Unfortunately for girls in the real world, we don't have a makeup artist on-site or the time to check the mirror every half hour to see how bad our eyes look from this.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/26/2010 11:40:00 AM More reviews by mmmMarilyn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Blah. I know, I know, you have to layer, etc etc - as if I don't layer enough with my other 6 mascaras in my bag! - but this stuff is just so...blah. My mother has been using it for as long as I can remember, and she's eager to try something new after all these years. Her lashes always look great, and I'm sure mine did when I used this, too, but with all the cool options out today - why not try something else? I'm hoping to sway a few people over to Rimmel's Lash Accelerator. I'm just so indifferent towards Great Lash--sorry America! haha.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2010 9:30:00 AM More reviews by kittybearchiyo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is what my mother has always used, and apparantely been around for a long time. One day I ran out of my own mascara and wouldn't have the money for more for a week or two, so I used this..

This is possibly the most disgusting product I've ever used.

And I tried to make it work, I really did. I wiped off the brush to make sure there wasn't too much, tried layering, tried every little mascara trick that exists, but this mascara is just a goopy, sticky mess, and no matter what I do I can't avoid the clumping and smudging and general mess it makes every time I touch it.

Maybelline has some great mascara, and has discontinued some really good ones...why is this still being sold?

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2010 3:29:00 PM More reviews by o0needia0o

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Overall: I love this mascara! I've been using it for as long as I can remember. It's brush is small so you can get all the little hairs! It's not one of those mascaras that will add length to your lashes or anything, but it's great for everyday wear. =)

Price: Great. Usually pay about $5.. Sometimes you can hit the jackpot and get them in a 2 for 1 package for under $7.

Packaging: It's in a nice bright pink bottle - easy to spot! =P

rated 1 of 5 on 11/30/2010 10:42:00 AM More reviews by Ntuitive1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Let me preface this by saying that I am 52 years old and have been wearing mascara since I was 14, so I think I know a little bit about Mascara and how to apply it. My first mascara was Great Lash and back then it was wonderful and nothing compared with it. Now, in a word, it sucks. I am sure that the formula has changed many times over since I wore it and if memory serves me right, that's probably why I stopped wearing it in the first place 20 years ago.

It's not like I don't know how to apply it, either. I know how to "layer" and "wiggle" and all sorts of tactics to get the best results out of a mascara, but this stuff won't respond to any of that. Really, it's like I put nothing on my eyes after all of that!

Honestly, I have heard that magazines push products they really don't like and I'm more than sure that this is one of their favorites to push for no good reason other than Maybelline wants to keep it on the market for some unknown reason. Many much better Maybelline mascaras have come and gone but this one remains and why I can't imagine, since most real people reviewing it don't seem to like it. I am still mourning the loss of Maybelline's "Lash Stylist", "Sky High Curves" and many others over the years that have bitten the dust, yet this garbage just won't die. Why, Maybelline?

If you're looking for the effect of the original Great Lash, stick with "The Falsies" or something like that, but whatever you do, don't fall prey to the hype on this stuff!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2010 4:27:00 PM More reviews by JonMoss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

So I just decided to buy this mascara on the whim (I'm always experimenting with new mascaras). Like the reviewer below said, you have to layer it. The mascara does not flake. The only problem I have with this mascara is that it burns my eyes,. I love Maybelline mascaras, but Great Lash is not for me. I will stick to the Falsies!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Dive14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

Okay. To all those condemning this mascara to hell can I just say one thing: LAYERING. That is the KEY WORD with Great Lash. Are you applying one swipe in a zig-zagging motion like you do your Diorshows and Faux Cils? If so, that is where you are going horribly, horribly wrong. The other key word with this mascara is PATIENCE. So you might want to skip this if you are time-poor when it comes to getting ready. I will explain how this works. Step 1: Apply Great Lash on eye #1, trying to coat every lash. Step 2: Allow to dry and repeat on eye #2. Step 3: Go back to eye #1 (the lashes of which have now had a chance to dry a bit) and apply another layer. Step 3: Allow to dry and repeat on eye #2. ETCETERA. Do this until you have the desired effect. It will take a good 5-10 minutes OR MORE but I for one am willing to put the effect in because the results are worth it. The formula is quite wet so it may take a while to dry, so yeah if you have approximately 10 minutes to get ready don't even go there. Anyway, your lashes should end up looking clump-free, long, separated and just perfect. I used to be an avid watched of Big Brother UK and one of the contestants had the most beautiful, dramatic, fluttering lashes. I remember how I used to watch in amazement as she applied this mascara, spending what seemed like an eternity. But the good thing is that once you are done the formula dries rock hard and lasts and lasts and laaaaasts. You can get away with sleeping in this one. It's also (again, not sure whether down to the brush or formula) not prone to clumping so this makes it great for 'top ups'. I actually pretty much always use it for this purpose or as a finishing coat with most of my other mascaras too. Also, the first time I used it I was shocked by how rich the black colour was (Blackest Black). It seems to make my green eyes even green-er. And it's cheap. I always have a tube around somewhere, can't think how many I've gone through and it's a definite HG... LOVE!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2010 7:35:00 AM More reviews by emma010294

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

WIthin 2 hours of putting this on I have the panda-eyes!

Mascara seems to clog on the brush, I need to wipe the brush clean before each use.

I found it didn't come off as easily as others I have tried.

Basically, apart from the funky packaging, it was a disappointment and I'm looking to buy a new mascara way before I have used all of this one up!