Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF45

3.6

Active Ingredients: Avobenzene 3%, Homosalate 10%, Octisalate 5%, Octocrylene 2.8%, Oxybenzone 6% Inactive Ingredients: water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Diethylhexyl 2,6-Napthalate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyl Stearate, BHT, Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-100 Stearate, Trideceth-6, Behenyl Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Fragrance (1220-046)

on 3/14/2009 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

EDIT: A better, cheaper option is Coppertone's NutraShield SPF 30 with Dual Defense. It sells for $10/ 6 ounces ( vs. Neut. Ultra Sheer SPF 45 @ $10/ 3 ounces), has 90% less odor, feels/ looks less greasy, and has some antioxidants.
ORIGINAL REVIEW: I found this to be horrible on my face. It is very greasy: I let it absorb into my skin for 10-20 minutes, and within an hour my face looks like someone sprayed me with cooking spray. Kaolin powder doesn't help, and the cooking spray look comes back half an hour after blotting. I've never used anything that made my face that oily before. To make it worse, the sunscreen--as well as its fumes--stung my eyes so badly it looked like I was crying my eyes out. I'll stay away from [face] products with avobenzone as its primary sunprotecting ingredient. It does have a very strong sunscreen odor so wear it with some type of perfume to mask the smell. On a lighter note, it didn't break me out. Before throwing it away, I'll try to use it on my arms and legs in the summer and give this review an update. For now, not recommended for the face.
UPDATE (5/4/2009): This product performed okay as sunscreen for the rest of my body. The odor was very strong, and the sunscreen began to flake off as muddy-colored grits 2-4 hours after application, which was embarrassing since these flakes gave the appearance of poor hygiene. Coppertone's NutraShield SPF 30 is a much more economical and better performing sunscreen. I will not purchase this item again.

on 2/4/2009 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

If you want a sunscreen just for no makeup days, this one is good. My major complaint is the pilling! The product rolls into little balls and pills off my face, no matter how long I wait for it to absorb and no matter how much i vary the amount i use. Usually, I just combine it with my light olay sunscreen to avoid this.

on 1/13/2009 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have a love/hate relationship with sunscreens. Since I'm NC45, I can't slap on just any sunscreen, because I could end up with a gray/purple face. So there's been a lot of trial and error. I'm STILL looking for a sunscreen that I'm 100% happy with.

This is the best one so far, out of many. It's a great texture and the first one that hasn't felt thick and greasy and disgusting on my face. It really has the texture of a regular moisturizer. And best of all, it doesn't leave that white/ purple cast and make me ashy looking.

Cons are that if you get it too close to your eyes, it can shift during the course of the day and make them sting like all getout. Also, I find that it can make my face oily if I'm not careful with my regular moisturizer underneath.

Other than that, this is the one I'll be sticking with until I find something better.

on 1/11/2009 4:26:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I'm on my 2nd tube of this, though it is drying and makes my eyes sting. I think it protects my face enough from burning. Tried the spf 55, but that left me with a white cast.

on 1/9/2009 6:21:00 PM

i bought this at costco because of the price. plus i heard good things about it but it did not work on me at all. i don't know what ingredient in this caused it but it stung my eyes so much that my eyes teared up constantly and couldn't wear eye make up until i realized it was the sunscreen that was doing it. also after applying this sunscreen for about a week i started to break out really badly.... and i still have the scars... so sad :(

on 1/6/2009 5:28:00 PM

I'm a former sunscreen shunner, I finally decided I was getting "old" enough and need to start wearing sunscreen on my face. I was always hestitant in part to being very acne prone and was worried that sunscreen would really break me out like anything else new I tried. I actually got this on sale and the end of summer last year and am very pleased thus far. Lately I've been using Dermalogica's matte block and am happy that as well, it has an spf of 20. I use the Neutrogena one when I know I'll be outside for a longer period of time. I mix some with my regular mosturizer and it is so creamy and spreads well without breaking me out at all. There is no shine factor, the real test will come during the summer! So far so good!

on 12/7/2008 10:25:00 AM

I bought this product early in the summer to use while cycling, when my face is exposed to the sun for several hours at a time. It goes on without greasiness and didn't cause me to breakout. Gave me great protection.

I've just made the switch this year to oil free products, as hormonal breakouts are suddenly a problem for me. This product worked beautifully.

FYI - I also bought the "roll on stick version" of their oil free sunscreen, for traveling, and it's not shaped properly for application to the face.

on 11/18/2008 10:05:00 PM

This sunscreen stings my eyes like crazy. Unfortunately, this is not the "it" sunscreen for me.

on 11/16/2008 12:01:00 AM

This is a cheaper substitute for my Body Guard Dermadoctor sunscreen and it works just as well. After a few minutes of drying it doesn't leave the greasy smell or scent suncreens usually have and works as a nice primer. I use it every morning on my face and neck and it doesn't cause me any breakouts.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This one's a winner!

I've been using this instead of moisturizer on my face, neck, chest, and decolletage daily for at least a year or more now. One of my family members had melanoma, and I'm really fair, so I'm super-conscious about sun protection. I don't spend a lot of time in the sun, but I love that this product protects me from even incidental sun exposure (which is something most people never worry about) that adds up over time. Even if you're not worried about melanoma, incidental sun exposure over the years is the biggest reason that we get wrinkles, uneven skin tone, and other skin woes usually associated with "aging." All the research says that sun exposure, even the incidental kind, is the biggest culprit when it comes to those issues. Luckily, we can do something about it!

I like that this product doesn't have any of that "whiteness" or opaque quality that some sunscreens have. It simply absorbs into my skin, giving just the right amount of moisture for my normal-to-combination skin, without being sticky or heavy at all. It hasn't made me break out, and I haven't noticed any irritation even when I use it around my eyes or on my eyelids. It has a slightly dewy, almost matte finish once it has been absorbed into my skin. The packaging says it's "sweatproof" but when I sweat, I do notice that I get a bit of an oily film on my face, but that's a small price to pay for sun protection and isn't that much different than when I'm not using this product. When my face sweats, it gets an oily film no matter what product I'm using, after all.

It also seems to work well under my makeup. I'm using Bare Escentuals mineral foundation, and it doesn't make it cake up or look strange. It also doesn't have too much of that unpleasant "sunscreen" odor that some products have. Maybe my nose has just gotten used to it, but I think it smells fairly pleasant for a product with sunscreen. And whatever scent it does have fades very quickly, so I only notice it when I'm applying.

I am also reassured that this product carries an endorsement from the American Cancer Society, and says that it offers broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection. I'll be buying this again and again.