October 25, 2014 | 1776 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2009 5:14:00 PM More reviews by ciscocat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this foundation, or in my case, concealer. This is another unique KA product that I've added to my arsenal. It IS thick, however, and can be tricky to use so technique is everything. I make sure I moisturize and use an eye cream and then I take up a very small (less than pea-sized) amount and dot it under my eyes and between my brows and sometimes in the corners of my nose and blend carefully. I don't use a concealer brush, but I bet if I did it would be that much easier. I swear my fine lines and circles seem to disappear even in harsh light. If you use too much or pick the wrong color, I can see this being a disaster, but I love the coverage and it's great for spot covering and undereye shadows. I use SX 05, a perfect yellow-toned ivory for my PPP complexion. I had a sample of this that lasted me for over a month and once I figured out the best way to use it, I ran to Sephora to get myself a jar. It's not cheap, but I can tell it will last forever. Incidentally, I just learned that a boutique store outside of Boston will be carrying the entire line (unlike Sephora) so now I'll be able to test drive their brushes too!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2009 11:58:00 AM More reviews by llbeanpole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Update: I think I might have just mixed my own version of the Sensual Skin Enhancer. I have an oil based foundation cream I bought in the UK which is too dark and sheer for me. I tried mixing some of my mineral powder foundation in a small jar with a teaspoon of the cream foundation to see if I could improve it, and the more powdered foundation I stirred in (and stirred very well...), the more it thickened till it became a rather good alternative to the SSX! And like the SSX, a tiny pea size of the concentrated final product is enough for the whole face. I tried the same with tiny amounts of other cream foundations (it has to be creamy with some oils), some of them whipped and lighter in texture, some with glow effects, etc., and I am getting a lot of interesting new high coverage options from my existing 80+ stash of foundations and concealers. It's truly a fun afternoon for me.

Original review: After harboring the lemmings for this foundation for the longest time because of the reviews, I finally plunked down the cash for a pot of the SX6. The shade is a close match to my NC20-25 Asian skin, though a bit too yellow. I have been having a horrible outbreak of acne and after slathering on the Retin-A, the plague appears to be beating a retreat but I still have spots to reckon with for the foreseeable future. I was desperate for an industrial strength concealer, and the SSE seems to fulfill that role admirably. I was prepared for the tiny pot, and the cream was truly thick in texture. Forewarned, I took a tiny grain and tried to thin it, and it does look less pasty when sponged on over the face. However, I don't like the resulting look and the texture it imparts on the skin. It is very "flat" in its finish and it's obvious I have a layer of makeup on, even though I applied the product sparingly, only sponging extra over the spots that needed more help. It also sinks into enlarged pores. I suppose I am spoilt by the Stephane Marais creme foundation (discontinued) I have been using which is not only almost invisible but imparts an amazing luminous smoothness like that of a peeled boiled egg. The Kevyn Aucoin just can't compare in that respect, but yes, it does cover better than the Stephane Marais. I have tried other cheaper, thicker mineral oil based concealers, and I can't say the SSE performs much better for the price. I will continue to use it as a highly effective concealer, but definitely not as a foundation, as I have found better ones out there, eg. LSF, SM, Chantecaille. I would rate the SSE better than the usual silicone-laden foundations though, as it doesn't give the same tell-tale "glow" or rub and slide off in the same unsavory manner.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2009 11:23:00 AM More reviews by KathleenS

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I, too, love this and while I go through phases when I use it and then let it sit in my drawer I always come back to it and enjoy rediscovering it. I use 07 and am fair with yellow undertones (MUFE 017, BB Sand), blue eyes, brown hair. I don't use this as a foundation but as a concealer. I also use it over my regular foundation on those areas I need extra coverage to even out freckles, sun damage, hormone-related brown spots, etc. I use moisturizer under my foundation, then after that has set - usually after I do the rest of my face - I just pat a tiny bit onto those areas that need the extra coverage. I can even pat it on over powder and it blends in. I have darker skin on my jaw line and around my mouth and this really does even out those areas. I also have dark circles and will pat a bit of this over my makeup to cover them perfectly. No dry cakey-looking under-eye skin and it stays on without settling into the lines I am slowly but surely getting.

As others have mentioned, color selection is important. I have both 05 and 07 and mix them as I need to depending on the day.

It is a really good product but not a slap-on and go type of thing. I am just happy I can even out my skin tone so easily and not feel like I am wearing a ton of makeup.

Will buy again but it lasts forever so on a per-use basis it is a bargain.

EDIT: Don't use this as often as I used to. I find I like CoverMark Face Magic better. I am subtracting a lippie.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2009 5:25:00 PM More reviews by BohemianMartini1

Love this stuff! This is truly one of those products you have to see to believe. Don't get me wrong though. It's not a swipe and go product. This stuff does does take a little time and patience to apply but if you're willing to commit, you'll be amazed at the look. The first time I wore it, I was told by numerous co-workers that I glowed. "Glowed!" My boyfriend commented that I had perfect skin. How awesome is that! Okay down to the details....I purchased my product at Sephora - the MA was an idiot. She tried to apply it like a regular foundation. (But that's a different story.) I read a crap load of reviews so I knew what I was in for. I exfoliated well and moisturized. I cannot emphasize this step enough. I hate to say this, but it will pick up any dry patches - so please be warned. I took a lightly-dampened foundation brush and dotted the tiniest bit on various spots on my face. I proceeded to work it into my skin. It does thin out as it warms on the face, making application easier. Once I had achieved the coverage I was looking for, I took a lightly dampened sponge and worked on blending it into the crevices and just evening out the coverage. It really only took an extra few minutes in the morning. (I normally just swipe some of my MUFE Duo Mat Powder Foundation.) But in terms of time versus look - this is worth the extra few minutes. I did find that after using it a few times, it took way less time to apply. This truly is a wonderful product. The consistency is kind of like...whipped frosting. I enjoyed the smell. It feels so light on, which is amazing. Overall - the best full-coverage foundation I've ever used (and I must stress the words - FULL COVERAGE). They could probably double the price and I'd still buy it. =)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2009 10:36:00 AM More reviews by shesallthat69

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

REALLY AMAZING. this is by far the best makeup foundation I have ever ever ever used. Ive tried a lot of lancome, clinque, bobbi brown stuff, and this kevyn aucoin just surpasses it all. It is extremly light, and truthfully you only need a small portion to use on your face. highly recommended.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2009 7:20:00 PM More reviews by msjesshawk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just got this sample from another mua member and since I've never used this before she gave me a couple of samples and I lean to a 8? It's a little yellow but it blended alright. I can't imagine buying that much for a foundation so I'm glad I got to try it before I dig deep into it. As a first time user, it was thicker than I imagined. She told me to use very little and you definitely don't need a lot but you definitely need to blend it, it's not very light in consistency, not watery at all. I have very very dry skin and I moisturized before I put it on but I guess I didn't put enough cuz if I looked closely I can see the dryness that the make up clumped onto. Feels very smooth and I don't feel like I'm wearing any make up. Overall it's a nice product but I wouldn't buy it all the time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2009 2:01:00 PM More reviews by pocky

This is such an amazing and versatile product! Yes it's very very expensive but unless you're Christina Aguilera, I can't imagine that you will ever run out of this before it goes bad. You need the tiniest amount. I'm roughly an NC 25 and I have to mix S07 and S08 to get the right shade although I lean more towards S07. S08 has very strong yellow tones and is definitely too dark for an NC25. I am a mineral makeup kind of girl and just can't wear liquid foundations for more than 4-6 hours, which is very sad because this product gives an amazing, flawless finish and covers EVERYTHING when used as a foundation.

Athough I use The Sensual Skin Enhancer mostly as a concealer, I also love using is as a tinted moisturizer or foundation for a flawless, dewey face at night. Keep in mind that you have to mix this with moisturizer if you want to use it as a foundation or tinted moisturizer. I've found that the stickiness makes mixing with my fingers very messy so now I use a professional metal mixing palette and spatula, which I bought online. Before that, I had decent results mixing in my palm with a toothpick.

This stuff is very, very sticky so it will not instantly melt into your moisturizer. Did I mention that the coverage is fantastic? When I apply the mixed foundation with my MAC 187, my skin looks flawless. The finish is very dewey. I don't have super oily skin and I don't wear this foundation for more than a few hours at night so I can't say how this will perform on oily, acne-prone skin although I haven't had any issues myself with breakouts. By the way, this product has a perfumey fragrance.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2009 11:41:00 PM More reviews by lulu614891

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this stuff is wonderful!! definitely for people that are decently skilled at make up application. you definitely need to mix it with other products to make your own consistency for a foundation, and be able to blend it in well as a concealor. one little jar has lasted me for 2 years already...and it still doesn't look like I used it at all! CRAZY

rated 1 of 5 on 5/24/2009 2:17:00 PM More reviews by shesaidleave

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought this in 2 colors to try to get a perfect match. I was completely disappointed. The color (even if I used just a tiny bit) was too much like a chalky mask on my skin. It didn't cover up my pores at all, but magnified them as the cream happily poured itself into every little crevice. Even with a primer it didn't work for me and made all of my under eye wrinkles stand out.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2009 6:13:00 PM More reviews by AmazonRises

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very pigmented, very creamy concentrated foundation. I have been using it for about 2 years as a concealer; however I have to admit that it does not work for me under the eye. It causes every eyeliner or shadow on the lower lid to smudge. I'm assuming that this is because its oil-based. Even waterproof or very resistant eyeliners such as MAC Powerpoint will smudge in less than an hour. So, I have abandoned it as an undereye concealer in favor of a solid concealer such as Shu Uemura Pro Concealer or MAC Studio Finish Concealer, which sets and doesn't cause eyeliner problems. SSE is still a great product to use as a foundation though, when you need good coverage that looks natural. If you are going to use it as a foundation, read these reviews to get to a technique that works.