April 17, 2014 | 1510 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2009 9:52:00 PM More reviews by niclyf

This for me, is entirely too thick to use as a foundation, but what I do use this for is as an undereye concealor, and for that it's incredible! I have dark circles under my eyes, and this covers them very well and brightens my entire eye area. It doesn't crease or fade at all! I only need a very small amount to cover both eyes, so this container will probably last a lifetime! One of the best concealers I've ever tried!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2009 2:20:00 PM More reviews by Asiel1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was a friend of Kevyn's. He taught me how to paint my eyes. :) So after reading many lovely reviews on his makeup, I decided to give it a go. I am aware of his passion for makeup so I knew it would be a wonderful product.

I waited anxioiusly for it to arrive and one day it did. I was astonished at the small size, but once I tried it out... I realized this could last years. Kevyn's genius at work.

It took a while for me to get application down. Three tries exactly, fortunately for me I have hung out in many a drag queens makeup room... so I got it down quite fast.

This product is faboo. It made my acne prone skin beautiful, unfortunately it irritated it a bit. I realized almost instantly that this is a high glam product and one to only be worn on big makeup occasions. I also chose a color that was a bit light and a bit too yellow. Fortunately, a bit of everday mineals powder on top fixed that problem.

Unfortunately, I chose to retun this to Sephora for some horrible Tarte recreate... frankly Scarlett I wish Tarte would recreate the entire product. I long for the beauty of Kevyn, but unfortunately it is only online and breaks me out.. so it is back to the ultimate search for the ultimate beauty tool. It saddens me to realize that perhaps had he lived he would be giving all of these "natural" and mineralized makeups a run for their money... and I would be both beautiful and acne free.. sigh...

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2009 4:42:00 PM More reviews by OHSHIEEET

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

As a concealer, this stuff is great. I moisturize my skin, put this over any blemishes, and then apply my ERA foundation. Looks fantastic. As a foundation, The Sensual Skin Enhancer kinda sucks. Back when I first picked this up about three or four years ago, I used it as an all-over foundation. It was dry, accentuated flakes, cakey, didn't cover everything, and made me look as if I were wearing ten layers of makeup. It also exaggerated fine lines (and I'm only 18), and made my nose look 2D. I looked completely horrid. But as a concealer, under a good liquid foundation, this works. But I'm sure there are concealers out there that'll do a better job for much less money.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2009 1:20:00 PM More reviews by 3jane

This took some getting used to, but now that I figured it out, this might very well be HG for me.

First, color selection is crucial. I was matched to SSE6 at first (in store lighting-- should've known better). Anytime I tried to use it, no matter how much I sheered it out, it made me look dead and/or masklike. So sheering out some foundations that are a little off can work, but this one not so much. On the plus side, the color won't oxidize at all, and it stays put even after a night out dancing. Then I swapped for 05 and it's love.

Second, the moisturizer or primer you mix it with is very important. I've found ones that have a consistency on the thin side, and a finish that gives you slippy, almost greasy feel work best. Gels, moisturizers, primers can all work. Off the top of my head, these work well: 1) CO Bigelow spf15 deluxe facial moisturizer replenishing formula 2) Neutrogena healthy skin moisturizer spf15 3) Victoria's Secret sexy little things Wake Me Up skin booster gel 4) Kevyn Aucoin primer. Note: some of these moisturizers are too slippy for me to use on their own. But I find the SSE will counter some of that, b/c it has such a thick, creamy texture... and I've found this mix gives you the most natural skin-like texture, even if you need a heavy application. Meanwhile, trying to mix it into a thicker cream makes it harder to spread, and gives you a cakey finish even if it's relatively sheer.

Application: I usually just put a dab of moisturizer (or primer or w/e) on the back of my hand, and smear a bit of SSE (maybe rice-grain worth of product?) adjacent to it -- think artist's paint palette. When you mix them, you'll find the SSE sticks to the skin more, it's a bit reluctant to mix in. So... I use this to my advantage! When you start mixing the two, you'll first get a lot of moisturizer with a little bit of color. Use most this for an all over tinted moisturizer/base on your face-- undereyes too. Now you're left with a little bit of moisturizer on your hand, and like half of the SSE still stuck on. Mix these remainders a bit more and you'll get a thicker, heavier paste/concealer you can dab on top of the TM, or even rub/massage into your skin for larger surfaces, adding coverage as you need it. (This is why a slippier moisturizer's works so well!!) This gives you a really natural flawless application that's not too heavy and masklike. I can even dab on SSE from the pot for brown spots afterwards and still have it blend seamlessly. And, best of all, this application takes less than a minute because, critically, it actually blends well now. Except for covering tiny spots, I use my fingers because it's the fastest, easiest, and gives me the best finish (b/c warming up the product in your fingers helps, imo).

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2009 10:35:00 AM More reviews by shannbronzo

Got a sample at Sephora, thank god I didn't invest $ in this. My friend and I both wanted this as a concealer, we were both disappointed. As far as under eye concealing goes this was awful, it looked cakey and dry. Made under my eyes look like I was 50 not 35. My friend experienced the same thing. I also got Stila's perfecting concealer and we love it, try that instead!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2009 7:08:00 PM More reviews by Wendiva

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have had a love/hate relationship with this foundation for months now. I just could not seems to get it right. Well, now I am in love with this foundation. I use a very small amount to cover my entire face. It is less than a grain of rice (to give you idea). It is literally a speck on my brush. I use the MAC #187 brush to apply this foundation. I very carefully touch the tip of the brush to the foundation. I place the foundation on my cheeks, chin, and forehead and then blend the foundation in circular motions for a very light coverage. My face looks flawless everyday using this technique. This foundation will last me for years at the rate that I'm using it. I'll definitely have to repurchase before finishing the pot.

If you've tried this as a foundation and found it too heavy (as I did), consider giving it another try with the MAC #187 brush...using a VERY small amount. You may be impressed with the results.

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2008 10:30:00 PM More reviews by Ladyblackwulf

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This just might be a HG concealer for me... make sure you skin is well moisturized this is key... yes i know the first ingredient listed is Mineral oil but believe me...this is not oily in any way, it blends very quickly.

After reading a lot of comments as to how much to use ( every thing from a pea size to a grain of rice size)

I went to the Kevyn Aucoin web site and got this bit of of information as to how much to use (remember I am using this as a concealer only)

Recommended Use: Apply sparingly (a pin sized amount) with your finger or concealer brush on top of freshly moisturized or primed skin and blend. Apply more as desired.

I used an eye liner brush and just a tiny amount and i do mean "tiny" it spreads very well and very quickly this will last me more than a year, at the price it better

under eye circles what circles??

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2008 2:58:00 PM More reviews by BelleDeCrecy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have mixed feelings about this product. It's great as a concealer, but not so good as a foundation. It's difficult to blend regardless of whether you use the overpriced primer, your fingers and/or a foundation brush. And, this business about using just a rice grain sized amount is the equivalent of an urban legend. With Bobbi Brown, I can use just a touch of tinted moisturizer followed by a little concealer or stick foundation where I need it. With the KASSE, even if you have good skin, you'll feel you need more than a rice grain. But, if I use more, the finish looks blehh-- kind of waxy, even with a perfectly matched color. Maybe I haven't found the correct amount for me. KA's coordinating loose powder is a cakey, too matte, too orange looking disaster-- so I can't get the satisfaction of using a product from the line that is supposed to provide the correct finish to the SSE.

IMO KA's only truly great product is the precision eyebrow pencil. The others have been disappointing.

UPDATE-I've been working with this product to get the hang of it. I bought two more colors SX 08 and SX 09 to mix with my SX 11. I'm dampening my foundation brush with a spritz of Avene water, wiping the brush with a Kleenex and mixing two or three of the colors above on the back of my hand. I apply it quickly in short strokes and let it sit for a few seconds. Then, I lightly work the foundation into my skin with my fingers. If necessary, I add a bit more under my eyes. I'm following with Radiant Diaphanous powder applied VERY lightly with a sponge and patted into my skin with my fingers. I think I'm lovin' this now. I went to a meeting yesterday and got a compliment on my complexion. Update Update: Kudos to the poster above who recommended blending with the MAC 187 brush-- it works like a charm and allows me to use less product and to stick to the SX 11 without having to mix other SX colors . This foundation takes practice, but the color matches just can't be beat.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2008 3:58:00 PM More reviews by AlyHeartsYou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow, talk about disappointment. The one lipstick I give it is because the color SX01 is indeed a great match for me. However that's where the love ends. I used a TINY tiny amount just like what was recommended, and it still gave a cakey effect, and not the greatest coverage. To make matters worse it also amplified the appearance of my pores and clogged up my skin something fierce. I also have a new blemish on my chin that wasn't there before I used this. I'm sending this RIGHT back and will have to go to town the next few days on my skin to bring it back to normal and unclogged.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2008 2:47:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie90

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the best concealer on the market!! It is the most pigmented concealer Ive ever tried. I need the tiniest, tiniest bit to cover A LOT!! It has a thick, creamy consistency and doesn't budge during the day. I bought this over 4 months ago, looks like I barely touched it!! This will definitely last well over a year, so it makes up for the very tiny size of it!!