September 17, 2014 | 1985 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2009 5:25:00 PM More reviews by BohemianMartini1

Love this stuff! This is truly one of those products you have to see to believe. Don't get me wrong though. It's not a swipe and go product. This stuff does does take a little time and patience to apply but if you're willing to commit, you'll be amazed at the look. The first time I wore it, I was told by numerous co-workers that I glowed. "Glowed!" My boyfriend commented that I had perfect skin. How awesome is that! Okay down to the details....I purchased my product at Sephora - the MA was an idiot. She tried to apply it like a regular foundation. (But that's a different story.) I read a crap load of reviews so I knew what I was in for. I exfoliated well and moisturized. I cannot emphasize this step enough. I hate to say this, but it will pick up any dry patches - so please be warned. I took a lightly-dampened foundation brush and dotted the tiniest bit on various spots on my face. I proceeded to work it into my skin. It does thin out as it warms on the face, making application easier. Once I had achieved the coverage I was looking for, I took a lightly dampened sponge and worked on blending it into the crevices and just evening out the coverage. It really only took an extra few minutes in the morning. (I normally just swipe some of my MUFE Duo Mat Powder Foundation.) But in terms of time versus look - this is worth the extra few minutes. I did find that after using it a few times, it took way less time to apply. This truly is a wonderful product. The consistency is kind of like...whipped frosting. I enjoyed the smell. It feels so light on, which is amazing. Overall - the best full-coverage foundation I've ever used (and I must stress the words - FULL COVERAGE). They could probably double the price and I'd still buy it. =)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2009 10:36:00 AM More reviews by shesallthat69

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

REALLY AMAZING. this is by far the best makeup foundation I have ever ever ever used. Ive tried a lot of lancome, clinque, bobbi brown stuff, and this kevyn aucoin just surpasses it all. It is extremly light, and truthfully you only need a small portion to use on your face. highly recommended.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2009 7:20:00 PM More reviews by msjesshawk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just got this sample from another mua member and since I've never used this before she gave me a couple of samples and I lean to a 8? It's a little yellow but it blended alright. I can't imagine buying that much for a foundation so I'm glad I got to try it before I dig deep into it. As a first time user, it was thicker than I imagined. She told me to use very little and you definitely don't need a lot but you definitely need to blend it, it's not very light in consistency, not watery at all. I have very very dry skin and I moisturized before I put it on but I guess I didn't put enough cuz if I looked closely I can see the dryness that the make up clumped onto. Feels very smooth and I don't feel like I'm wearing any make up. Overall it's a nice product but I wouldn't buy it all the time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2009 2:01:00 PM More reviews by pocky

This is such an amazing and versatile product! Yes it's very very expensive but unless you're Christina Aguilera, I can't imagine that you will ever run out of this before it goes bad. You need the tiniest amount. I'm roughly an NC 25 and I have to mix S07 and S08 to get the right shade although I lean more towards S07. S08 has very strong yellow tones and is definitely too dark for an NC25. I am a mineral makeup kind of girl and just can't wear liquid foundations for more than 4-6 hours, which is very sad because this product gives an amazing, flawless finish and covers EVERYTHING when used as a foundation.

Athough I use The Sensual Skin Enhancer mostly as a concealer, I also love using is as a tinted moisturizer or foundation for a flawless, dewey face at night. Keep in mind that you have to mix this with moisturizer if you want to use it as a foundation or tinted moisturizer. I've found that the stickiness makes mixing with my fingers very messy so now I use a professional metal mixing palette and spatula, which I bought online. Before that, I had decent results mixing in my palm with a toothpick.

This stuff is very, very sticky so it will not instantly melt into your moisturizer. Did I mention that the coverage is fantastic? When I apply the mixed foundation with my MAC 187, my skin looks flawless. The finish is very dewey. I don't have super oily skin and I don't wear this foundation for more than a few hours at night so I can't say how this will perform on oily, acne-prone skin although I haven't had any issues myself with breakouts. By the way, this product has a perfumey fragrance.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2009 11:41:00 PM More reviews by lulu614891

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this stuff is wonderful!! definitely for people that are decently skilled at make up application. you definitely need to mix it with other products to make your own consistency for a foundation, and be able to blend it in well as a concealor. one little jar has lasted me for 2 years already...and it still doesn't look like I used it at all! CRAZY

rated 1 of 5 on 5/24/2009 2:17:00 PM More reviews by shesaidleave

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought this in 2 colors to try to get a perfect match. I was completely disappointed. The color (even if I used just a tiny bit) was too much like a chalky mask on my skin. It didn't cover up my pores at all, but magnified them as the cream happily poured itself into every little crevice. Even with a primer it didn't work for me and made all of my under eye wrinkles stand out.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2009 6:13:00 PM More reviews by AmazonRises

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a very pigmented, very creamy concentrated foundation. I have been using it for about 2 years as a concealer; however I have to admit that it does not work for me under the eye. It causes every eyeliner or shadow on the lower lid to smudge. I'm assuming that this is because its oil-based. Even waterproof or very resistant eyeliners such as MAC Powerpoint will smudge in less than an hour. So, I have abandoned it as an undereye concealer in favor of a solid concealer such as Shu Uemura Pro Concealer or MAC Studio Finish Concealer, which sets and doesn't cause eyeliner problems. SSE is still a great product to use as a foundation though, when you need good coverage that looks natural. If you are going to use it as a foundation, read these reviews to get to a technique that works.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2009 7:37:00 PM More reviews by Ingenue01

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

I finally broke down and plunked down the $45 for this product. WORTH.EVERY.PENNY. I notice some of the reviews saying it can't be used as a foundation. It can. It can be used as a coverup, concealer, foundation or tinted moisturizer. It depends on how you mix it and what you mix it with.

You can't use it straight on dry skin. But that's the point of giving you such a potent formula in such a small pot. You mix a teeny bit on the back of your hand with water/aloe/oil/moisturizer/or heavy face cream. Your choice.

My favorite way to apply it, is 'wet' with a sponge. Dot it on the places you need, then soak a sponge in cool water and wring it out. Use the damp sponge to blend. It sets perfectly and wears all day with no creasing or lifting.

Anyone who followed Kevyn knows that he did a lot with some of the most unusual things. This formula makes it possible to do soooo much.
The colors do run light... I turned out to be SK13. My concealer color is SK11. A sephora salesperson gave me a HUGE sample of SK11 so I won't be running out any time soon.

It takes practice to get the application right. The first time I used it, it took me 5 mintues to make sure everything was blended to perfection. Now it takes me less than a minute.

This product is worth it because you use so little and it's extremely versatile. As a makeup artist, any product that can do so many different things.. is priceless.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2009 1:45:00 PM More reviews by sabrunka

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow this is definitely an excellent product, I took a tiny bit out thinking that it would be enough (from what other people have said) and it was STILL too much!! It is VERY pigmented and hides dark circles PERFECTLY!! It is DEFINITELY worth the price.. I can see this lasting up to 2 years even with daily use!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2009 12:39:00 PM More reviews by susjs

I got a generous sample of Sensual Skin Enhancer in SX O7 from a lovely makeup artist at Sephora. This color is the closest match to my skin [Armani LSF 5, LM Tinted Moisturizer in Nude] but still skews a bit too yellow to be a true match for me. I tried this several times before attempting a review. Based on my trials so far, I just can't say it's working for me. I've even read the prior reviews carefully because there's lots of advice and tutorials on how to best use this very thick product to it's best advantage. [I intended to use it as an under-eye concealer only.] No matter how I blend just a tiny bit with moisturizer, or what brushes or fingers I've applied it with, it's just too opaque and mask-like for me. I can't imagine anyone using this as a foundation, it's kabuki-thick. As a concealer, even thinned out with a rich moisturizer it appears very dry and made my under-eye area look cakey and unnatural. Sigh...the search for the HG concealer isn't over yet! P.s. Although I didn't like this, I'm not rating it lower because I'm sure others might find a technique and/or color that works better for them than I did.