April 19, 2014 | 1687 users online

Cleansers - Albolene cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2009 2:36:00 AM More reviews by gmmace80

I've been using Albolene for over three years now and I still love it. I have super sensitive skin, and my cheeks get very dry and flaky. I apply it everywhere on my face except my forehead, and use a very warm wet baby washcloth to wipe it off. To prevent breakouts, I use Neutrogena Clear Pore wash/mask on my forehead. You would think it would cause breakouts, but I really think it prevents them because it "melts" the gunk out of your pores. If you're used to using a foaming cleanser, it's a little hard to get used to the greasy texture, but I think if you have very dry or sensitive skin, there's nothing better. I really don't get why some posters have commented that it's expensive. For around $12, you get a large tub. I use it at least twice a day, and one tub probably lasts about a year, if not longer. Yes, it looks look Vaseline, but it is NOT the same.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2009 12:36:00 AM More reviews by novelist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am 54 years old and a month ago I started using this product every other night, alternating with philosophy products (WHINE serum with vit. c powder, HIAJ, and Eye Hope - till it runs out and will be replaced by Boots Botanical eye cream). At first, I was so apprehensive that for the first hour after using it, I was panicky! Guess what? My skin was calm, rested, and soft. When I woke up, it was amazingly soft and felt hydrated.

First, I take off makeup, all of it, eye makeup included, with Albolene. Then I wash with Neotrogena glycerin soap, then use a non-alcohol witch hazel on a large cotton ball to make sure the makeup is off. Then I apply a very fine layer of Albolene. I wait 15 minutes and tissue off any residue. My face has never felt healthier and soothed. I have heard of those women who are 90-something and look amazing, and perhaps a simple, basic product like this one is a good reason why. I feel fortunate that my skin not only tolerates the ingredients in Albolene but benefits from them. I also use this product on my elbows and when the weather is harsh, on my hands at night.

And can I mention CHEAP! Offsets the price of the philosophy products which I use for a clearer, more even skin tone. It doesn't do everything for me but it does a great deal, and for the price, it is amazing stuff.

The jar is huge and might cause concerns to some over bacteria but, just like with the Vaseline jar (I used Vaseline for decades prior to Albolene for makeup removal, and Albolene works better) -- these products with their jar containers have been around for decades and decades and decades. Don't fix what ain't broke.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2009 12:00:00 PM More reviews by modernnomad

Don't believe I haven't reviews this yet?? OK, so it goes against everything you've ever heard about taking care of your skin, but just plain smearing this mineral oil junk on my face is one of the best things I've ever done for it! I smear it around to get the makeup off, including the waterproof mascara... tissue off... then rinse with water and dry. My skin is soft, feels naturally moisturized, clean but not too clean. Takes the mascara off great! This is all I use now for cleansing since I moved to Canada - my skin needs this due to the colder climate. Not too fond of the tub it comes in, but whatever... I don't put the cap on tight, just let is rest on top of the tub for easy opening. Great stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2009 12:40:00 AM More reviews by cusp2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am very pleased with this product....my skin is very reactive to temperature and has also gotten a lot drier than it used to be in the last few years. I read about this cleanser and thought, well, I'd at least try it. I'm glad I did. I do wear makeup each day, so when I come home, I apply a little of this gel-like cleanser straight to my face, let it sit for a few minutes so it emulsifies, and then tissue off. Voila. Thats my whole makeup-removal and cleansing routine. My skin is much calmer and much clearer than it used to be. I like this very much and would absolutely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2009 1:47:00 PM More reviews by Mica

This is the only thing I have used to clean my face with for the past 9 months, except for an occasional wash with a Dove beauty bar. Last December I just decided that I was really sick of trying new things on my face, because it gets irritated and breaks out so easily. So, I just started using Albolene at night with a hot washcloth, and nothing else. My skin is the best it has ever been. For me, leaving my skin alone is definitely the best thing. I will keep using this forever.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2009 7:44:00 PM More reviews by AMANDAT89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I never seen anything like this. You put it on your face and tissue it off and ur makeup is gone. This is my new HG makeup remover and cleaner!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2009 7:14:00 AM More reviews by patfl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Here's my take. I really like this product.

I use this product for my nighttime routine. I first splash my face with tepid water, and then massage a quarter size of Albolene into my skin. I then take a warm, wet washcloth and place it over my entire face and then GENTLY remove the cleanser. My skin looks better right then. I follow that with my normal cleansing using Purpose liquid facial cleanser. My skin looks great! I wait about 5 minutes and then put on Alpha Hydrox 10% Glycolic AHA Anti-Wrinkle cream.

Those three items clean, moisturize, and gently exfoliate and the great thing is they do it ECONOMICALLY! For under $30, I can buy all of these products which last for at least 3 months versus some product with a price that is inflated because of massive advertising costs.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2009 8:47:00 PM More reviews by Maja66

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm right there with Mary Ellen. For over TWENTY years I've tried various and sundry quick get it off stuff, and this Abolene is freaking amazing. Actually, I know a woman who is 93 and swears by it and she does NOT look 93 (www.friedaslife.com). It does everything at once and with ease. PLUS serves as a moisturizer as a fringe benny :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2009 10:32:00 PM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Thanks to rgdollmom54, who must have gotten tired of reading my mascara reviews that always contain a line in which I complain about trying to get it off! Holy meltdown, Batman! Just put a little of this on your lashes, wait a few seconds, rub gently (the consistency of this allows you to rub lightly, which is all you need, without irritating your eyes/pulling the skin), and voila! No more mascara! No more anything wherever you use it--eyes, lips, whole face. And although it's very emollient, it leaves almost no residue behind. And it's dirt cheap! This will probably be the only makeup remover I ever rebuy.

Update 6/16/09: this is great for removing waterproof sunscreen! I apply a small amount (it goes a long way), massage in, wipe off, and wash with my regular cleanser (DDF Sensitive Skin). No residue *at all.* Keeps my pores unclogged and my skin looking great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2009 9:01:00 AM More reviews by brillopad

If you are looking for a cleanser that will make your skin feel squeaky-clean, then stop reading because Albolene will not be the one for you. This is a great makeup remover and helps keep your skin moisturized, but may leave a greasy "film" that some people don't like.

Now, Albolene doesn't look like your normal cleanser. Instead, it looks like a giant jar of white Vaseline, but it is so much better! I love this stuff for 3 main reasons:

1. It takes off all of my makeup and waterproof sunscreen -
I use a tiny spatula to scoop out a bit of Albolene and spread/massage over my dry face. (It looks solid in the jar, but once it hits your skin, your body temperature melts it into a spreadable consistency.) Then, I remove with clean tissues and if I'm wearing heavy makeup that day, I'll cleanse a second time with Albolene just to make sure I'm getting everything off. I usually follow up with some Cetaphil gentle cleanser and hop in the shower, but this isn't necessary. I love that Albolene just removes every bit of makeup!

2. It does not leave my skin feeling stripped -
I used to struggle with finding a good moisturizer because it seemed like each one I used couldn't get rid of my dry skin flakes. But I started thinking that maybe moisturizers weren't the problem, maybe my cleanser was just too harsh? And I was right. After switching over from foaming cleansers to Albolene, I had far less trouble finding a good moisturizer. I also like that Albolene removes my makeup and waterproof anything without making my skin feel stripped like from emulsifiers in cleansing oils.

3. It does not break me out! -
Now, I have incredibly acne-prone, clog-prone skin and when I first read about Albolene on the skin care board and bought some, I thought, "no way am I putting any of that on my skin because that's just breakout city waiting to happen!" But I'm glad I gave it a chance because it not only removes/cleanses/moisturizes my skin all at the same time, it also doesn't strip my skin. Some days, especially in the winter, when I'm feeling particularly dry, I'll even slab on a thick layer of this stuff to make a "moisturizing mask" and go to bed with it on. Note: I don't think Albolene will help "clear" your skin and if you are sensitive to mineral oil, one of its main ingredients, then you should steer clear of this product.

I only use Albolene on days I wear makeup. On days I go makeup free, Cetaphil is enough to make my skin feel refreshed. Also, I believe there are 3 kinds of Albolene out on the market. One is fragranced and two are fragrance free, one with vitamin-E and the other without. I use the fragrance-free one without vitamin E because anything with vitamin-E gives me a rash.

It also costs around $13 for a jar of Albolene, but sometimes you can find it on sale for a little less at Walgreens. It lasts a long time, so it is totally worth the money and I'm always paranoid that the product is going to get discontinued so I stock up whenever I can.

For those who think that Albolene is the same as Vaseline, you will be completely surprised. I love Vaseline and put some on my heels and knees before going to bed, but it's too goopy and hard to spread. Albolene is much easier to work with and take off and for that, I'm willing to pay the extra money.

So basically, if you have dry skin and want a non-stripping makeup remover, then this is a great product. If your skin is easily irritated, you might think twice about this product because you have to use clothes/tissues to remove it and the friction from the removal process might be too harsh. If don't like feeling a layer of "film", then this product may also not be for you. However, for my extremely dry and acne prone skin, this stuff is a life-safer!

UPDATE: Okay, so I'm not sure if you guys know about this, but you can actually use Albolene as an exfoliant. On their website, they say to apply some Albolene (preferably after you shower), let it sit for 5 minutes, and then use an index card to scrape it off. However, instead of using an index card... I use..... a tongue scraper! Haha! Sorry if that is weird, but a tongue scraper provides the perfect edge for scraping/cleaning out my pores without disintegrating from the oil like an index card would. It actually works for me because when I scrape and wipe on a tissue paper, I can see the gunk from my skin on the tissue. Of course, don't scrape/scratch your skin if you have any active acne or if your skin is sensitive!

21 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No