July 29, 2014 | 1847 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2012 7:03:00 PM More reviews by maggiegault

Where has this wonderful product been all of my life? Recently, with the economic depression we are in here in The States, I had to stop having my hair color done professionally and start doing it myself. On a whim, I purchased (for $3.00!) a box of #49 Colorsilk. Not only did I get beautiful, long-lasting results, my hair is now in better shape than it was before I colored it with Colorsilk. My naturally brown hair has a lovely reddish hue to it that looks entirely realistic and just really pretty. I also want everyone to know that Colorsilk has completely covered my stubborn grays...and they have stayed covered, three weeks after coloring (something I have never, ever seen before, even with a professional dye job). RAVE.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2012 4:08:00 PM More reviews by kandrews580

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Been using this for almost a year now. I had been using Loreal, both Excellence and Preference. I went to a "dress for success" seminar for ladies, and the topic of hair color came up when discussing graying hair. The lady teaching the seminar had over 50% gray hair and recommended this brand. I use dark auburn, my natural color. Like most reds, it fades some but no faster than any other brand of red color. I would like to see more conditioner instead of the one-time use packet enclosed. The instructions on the packet say to let it sit for 2 minutes, I let it sit more like 5 minutes though! All in all, I am pleased and will continue to use it-the price is fantastic! It colors my gray abd matches close to my natural hair color. My hairdresser even ask me about my color, said it blends SO WELL!.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2012 12:13:00 PM More reviews by debbiall

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My hair is probably about 30% gray, and I've been coloring for years. My old natural color was a medium brown, which is what I try to match.

My problem has always been the coloring fades to a strange orange-y color. I've tried a lot of brands and a lot of colors trying to find something that was an acceptable color from the beginning (right after I color) to the end (6 - 8 weeks later). I accept that there will be some change, but going from a dark brown to a bright orange wasn't cool.

Honestly, I avoided Colorsilk for years. How could something so cheap work?! Well, it does!

I have been using #41, Medium Brown for about 9 months now. My hair looks pretty close to the box color after I dye it. The gray is covered. The conditioner is great. The smell is OK - I don't love it, but it isn't offensive or anything.

Six to eight weeks later, it's still a medium brown. It is a little lighter (and obviously grayer at the roots). However, it is NOT ORANGE!!!

So, if you're looking for a nice brown color, and you've been avoiding that $3 coloring because "I can't use a $3 color when there's a $9 color right next to it" - TRY IT!!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2012 6:46:00 PM More reviews by ilovethe80s87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is just a general review for ColorSilk. Even though this stuff is the most inexpensive hair color I've ever used/seen/heard of, it's AWESOME! I have looong hair and usually need two boxes to cover all of it, and since this stuff is usually 2/$5, it's my go-to hair color when I want to go really light blonde (I usually use 04 Ultra Light Natural Blonde); (I don't use this stuff initially to go from my natural brown hair to light blonde, for that I use Borne Blonde by Clairol, but I digress). Colorsilk doesn't leave my hair feeling like I just used a cheapishly bad hair color, like one might expect since it's so inexpensive. It leave it really soft and very pretty. I don't really know what "brassy" means, as I've heard alot of people and product talk about blonde hair dyes leaving hair with a "brassiness" a few days/weeks after coloring; my point is that I don't think I've experienced this with ColorSilk because my hair stays the same shade of pretty, light blonde for several months. I usually touch up my roots every 2-3 months, and when I do this I usually just redo my whole head to ensure even color coverage and give my color a boost (because UV does cause it to fade a little after 3 months). I don't find that my hair is dry or severely damaged from using ColorSilk, which is really awesome considering blonde hair color usually has peroxide in it, which can be dehydrating. My only reason for giving this 4 lipsticks is because it doesn't come in a very wide range of colors appealing to my taste. If I want a very specific shade, I go with some other brand. But for just plain ol' super light blonde or regular brown, this stuff is pretty awesome. No need to spend tons of money on store-bought do-it-yourself hair color. LOVE this stuff!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by sarahdance

This review is for the medium to dark brown shades. Lately I've been using brown #41.

I have used 3 or 4 different shades of Colorsilk brown on my naturally dark brown hair with 20% gray for the last 3 years. It still covers most of the gray but I've had to increase the processing time as I become more gray. Grays are still getting covered but I have to process the roots for 40 minutes.

In a few years when I become more gray, I suspect I'll have to find a new product. But for now, it can't be beat. Low price, great color, and widely available (Target, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS here in Mpls).

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2012 10:07:00 PM More reviews by sexylovie84

this review is for the Dark Blonde color. I was using this to balance out my dark roots, dark blonde base, and lighter blonde ends... this blended the roots pretty perfectly with the rest of the hair! I was expecting hot roots, since that is what usually happens to me. I like that there is no ammonia in this! it was easy to apply, I used my own gloves. After blowdrying, my hair is now a light golden brown color, not natural or ashy. This didn't stink like others, and was easy to get off my skin. I will continue to use Colorsilk when I need permanent hair color, for demi I use Ion from Sally's. I don't know if this is leaving my hair in better condition cause it was slightly damaged before but it's not too different. :) I would pay much more for this hair color!! I have used the darker shades of this before, and they come out lovely too! ****EDIT.. this stuff fried my hair :( I have weird breakage in the underneath of my hair somehow??? that used to be where my hair was healthiest :( My hair was decent before I used this twice... I really love the color it makes my hair, and I am scared to use another brand.. just dont know if the damage is worth the color :( :(

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2012 8:02:00 PM More reviews by minkd1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I <3 this product!!! I have my cosmetology License and I still continue to use Revelon. If your going blonde with this product I find it helpful to have a shower cap on and use a blow dryer for maximum lift tho. Im addicted to the brown colors now LOL.. but its my absolute favorite hair coloring product..NO AMMONIA which is Awesome!! Great conditioning treatment and cheap!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2012 10:52:00 PM More reviews by Jkline72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this for years! I first tried it when I wanted to forgo my highlights and go back to my "natural color". This worked amazing for that job and many others.I use soft black and it's perfect! This stuff covers gray too like nothing else i tried. I don't have a lot of gray a few stray ones but this covers them up. I've been swayed by sales on other brands but bottom line I go back to this and it does work the best! I also love the conditioner that comes with it. It makes my hair so silky and shiney. I wish they sold this separately as wel.. I would buy it by the gallon!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2012 9:43:00 PM More reviews by Beatlemaniac6070

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I was looking to dye my hair a bit darker, and I just happened to come across this; I saw the price and I bought 2 as they were just $3 a box! I bought Dark Auburn and Brown Black. My hair was a light brown before I dyed my hair the auburn color, and the after product was awesome! I love the color. However, my mom says it's too dark for me, but we have horrible lighting in the house and if she saw it in natural or better light, she would think it looked good, too. I think I'll give the Brown Black to someone as that might be too dark for me.. I'll stick to the Auburn. It's an adorable color. :) And like everyone else mentioned, my hair did feel softer after I dyed it; like the box promised! It really does leave your hair in better condition than before. I can hardly find any split ends anymore. aha and not to mention my hair is glossier. I recommend this product if someone is on a tight budget and looking to change their hair color.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2012 2:37:00 PM More reviews by merkakis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

From all the hair colors I've tried, this is the best one for me. I usually use the medium or dark ash blonde for a natural look. Colors that I've tried include, Clairol, L'Oreal Garnier have all been very short lasting on me. They all seem to fade after a about 7 shampoos, but this one is the most long lasting on me, and it does leave my hair in great condition.

I think all the negative comments here come from people who don't understanding what to expect when you color your hair, in other words, if your natural hair color is very far off from what you see in the box, you won't get the results you want, simple as that.