April 20, 2014 | 1302 users online

Moisturizers - Avene - Skin Recovery Cream (US name: Cream For Intolerant Skin)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2010 3:07:00 PM More reviews by alicebt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This cream saved my skin after a misfortunate pick of foundation (which caused me a number of whiteheads, blackheads, and dry, irritated skin). Helped me get rid of dryness without increasing acne. I would have given it five lippies if it would have been easier to wear under makeup.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/5/2010 9:29:00 PM More reviews by missjessica87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought the rich formula version of this cream and liked it for a while until it made my skin break out all over. It never irritated my skin, so I guess it was just too oily. It is a really thick cream so I was only using little dabs of it on my forehead, cheeks, and chin, but it still made me break out. Plus, it was really expenstive! Shoppers drug mart sells it for $32 for 40ml. The only thing I did like about it was the queeze bottle form that was great for travelling. Definately would not buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2010 11:13:00 PM More reviews by Vicky1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My face suddenly became red, dry, itchy and irritated and the regular moisturisers I use did not work anymore. I have used Avene products before but did not feel they were exceptional (pretty basic), and my skin had not taken well to a couple of products in their line. However, the sudden irritation cld not be soothed even by La Mer, and out of desperation I turned to Skin Recovery Cream. It has a light emollient texture, and feels like a light protective film on the skin. Pretty pleased with the results: did not further irritate, the dry flaky feeling was gone a short while after using, the itching went down, and skin started to feel smoother and softer. The redness went down after a few days when the skin calmed down. The hydration level was just nice (I have combination/dehydrated skin), and so far I've not had any problems with the cream causing spots, oiliness etc. It even took away the stubborn flakiness around the nose. Still feel that this cream is a bit too basic for everyday use (wld prefer something with anti-oxidant properties), but in all it's a pretty good product for days when the skin needs a break.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2010 12:43:00 PM More reviews by makoto4me

when I was using the first tube, it can make my redness face become normal.however later when I was sensitive again, I bought the second tube, it did not work any more...I need to find other recovery cream

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2009 7:18:00 PM More reviews by digitalnorth13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this is not an everyday moisturizer - I use it as a night treatment when my skin in not in the best of moods.
I also bring it with me to work and apply it to hives that may pop up during the day (i work where there is recycled stale air and tonnes of chalkdust) and it soothes and takes the itch away and the redness disappears!

I would recomend it to allergic types and those in need of sos or hydration after alot of neglect.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2009 10:28:00 AM More reviews by annelau

It does exactly what it promises - to calm you skin when there is allergy. Sometimes, I use it after applying Smoothing Serum. When the allergy is really bad, I use nothing else but only this moisturizer. It will calm my skin in just 1-3 days. If the weather is very dry, I apply it on top of Hydrance Optimal Riche and my skin feels less tight. Good product at reasonable price.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/20/2009 9:04:00 AM More reviews by mccfrausto

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Omg, I cannot tolerate this product.
Mineral Oil is a killer to my skin!!
Most oils are, and also petroleum.. Huge problem for me!
Those are the things that trap heat in my face and prevent it from breathing.
That's when bad things happen!! I might turn red or flat red spots appear and in a matter of hours they become like pea sized pimple bumps just beneath my skin, the painful kind without a head.
Sigh. I like Dove sensitive lotion but it's discontinued..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2009 5:52:00 AM More reviews by ClariceD

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Me: Dry-to-combination, very sensitive skin, prone to dermatitis and redness, clog-prone, mild-to-moderate drug-induced acne on chin/jaw until recently (10/2007-02/2009).

An excellent basic moisturiser for sensitive, reactive skin. This is lightweight but relatively intensive, making it suitable for a range of oil outputs - combination through to dry. I suspect that those with outright oily skin might find this too rich due to its mineral oil content and those with very dry skin would need something richer. N.B. in Europe, Avène has recently launched a "rich formula" of this product - same ingredients in different quantities, with the addition of shea butter.

As always with products designed for intolerant (or any, for that matter) skin, there will be some people who should avoid this due to the presence of one or more ingredients known to cause them a reaction. By and large, those with skin sensitivities or allergies know or are in the process of figuring out what they can and can’t comfortably use. That aside, a major point in this moisturiser’s favour is its bland, minimal, but efficient ingredients list. It’s an oil-in-water emulsion: Avène thermal water (supposedly soothing to inflammatory skin conditions, see separate reviews and the company’s website) and mineral oil. My skin happens to like mineral oil – protective, no active components with the potential to irritate, and doesn't cause clogging. The rest of the ingredients comprise cyclomethicone (a silicone-based oil that acts as a carrier for other substances but remains on the skin surface), humectants to draw and hold water to the skin, solvents and emulsifiers, squalane for moisture, and preservatives. Those who have seborrheic dermatitis and control it partly by avoiding glycerin, glycols etc may want to give this a miss, although if your SD is mild and/or not flared by those ingredients, they appear in the middle of the listing so aren’t present in huge amounts. No fragrance, either, which is key for me as I tend to react to them.

I’ve used Skin Recovery Cream for some years. It’s marketed for the care of sensitive or “normal” but sensitised skin, both at specific times. Initially I took the name to heart and limited it to use an emergency cream to sort out marked irritation and redness. More recently it’s been my everyday moisturiser. I find it applies and absorbs better on slightly damp skin - on dry skin, a slight film may appear after a few hours, since several of the ingredients aren't designed to be or capable of being absorbed by the skin. As an SOS it’s noticeably calming. Apply it at night to angry but not broken areas of skin, for instance, and by morning I have an even skintone and no itching, burning or other signs of discomfort. On skin flaky from prescription and OTC acne treatments it was very soothing and made those sections of skin much less obvious. I find it applies and absorbs better on slightly damp skin - on dry skin, a slight film may appear after a few hours, since several of the ingredients aren't designed to be or capable of being absorbed.

You’d think Skin Recovery Cream had the properties of a fine regular day or night cream for drier, very sensitive skin. However, while it does provide no-frills moisture, the benefits that it brings during a skin crisis become somewhat flattened over time and it doesn’t seem to offer much support. I presume this is because while the ingredients go a long way towards restoring my skin’s equilibrium when upset, it doesn’t contain anything that might nourish and strengthen it long term. If the former is what you want, this is great used daily or twice daily for shorter term complaints. The drawback of its simplicity is that it won’t do much for insidious sensitivity (uncomfortable sensations, ruddiness etc) or related skin conditions in the very long term if used alone. It's also not sufficiently moisturising for me to use exclusively in the winter. (I probably won't be trying the new rich version as shea butter irritates my skin.) However, if you use a separate product to address these concerns, this might be a good choice of additional moisturiser. I’ll continue to use and recommend it indefinitely for those purposes. Other notes - good, functional, elegant squeezable tube packaging and cardboard outer box, both recyclable (tube is PET plastic, code 1, for UK recycling purposes). Five lippies for doing what it claims to do and doing it impressively without causing me secondary irritation or breakouts.

Ingredients: Avène thermal water (Avène aqua), mineral oil (paraffinium liquidium), cyclomethicone, butylene glycol, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, squalane, benzoic acid, carbomer, chlorphenesin, phenoxyethanol, tetrasodium EDTA, triethanolamine. UK details: £11.70 (due to 2009's reduced VAT rate, formerly £12)/40ml at Boots.

36 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2009 3:30:00 PM More reviews by viviennnne

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is okay for me, but i tend to break out because of this cream. I find the formula a bit heavy for me too ( i hv combination skin). Maybe it will work for me in winter...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2009 12:58:00 PM More reviews by Safin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have used this cream for a very long time (2 years) and it didn't irriate my rosacea acne prone skin.

But the P&P kept comming and my seb derm flared up now and than.
Than I found out that this was because of the mineral oil in the Recovery Cream.
So maybe I will use it again when I am older and my face is less oily.