September 18, 2014 | 977 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2012 12:23:00 AM More reviews by sweetvictory23

Other commenters are right in saying it is more of a grey than a taupe. Nevertheless, I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. I use this as an everyday crease color for a smokey eye. I apply it with my finger and can use more or less depending on how dark I want it to be. You have to act quick though because it is difficult to blend the longer it sits on your eyelid. I always use primer, so I'm not sure about it staying 24 hours, but in all honesty, who wants it to last that long anyway? It is definitely still on and noticeable when I take my makeup off at night after a long workday. I love this so much I want to purchase in another color!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2012 10:36:00 PM More reviews by cloroxcowgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This item was gifted to me by a lovely MUA'er and started my near obsession with the Maybelline Color Tattoos. Tough as Taupe has already been well described by other reviewers - a mushroom grey-brown with zero shimmer as far as I can tell. The texture remains the smoothest, creamiest out of the Color Tattoos I've tried thus far. It's very blendable and gets high marks for texture as well as versatility. I love to layer it under taupe and grey eye shadows, and it's great as an all over lid color as well. True to it's name I have not experienced creasing (with or without primer) with this shade. I think if you are just starting out with this line of shadows, this color as well as Barely Branded are the most versatile colors to start with imo. I would absolutely recommend this color because I think it would work on pretty much anyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 3:58:00 AM More reviews by lydiaxaidyl

Has a grey brown shade. Applies smoothly on my oily lids and lasts for hours. I like that the glass jar has some weight to it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 2:27:00 AM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I enjoy this product. It stays on really well and provides a very pigmented base. The one thing that bothers me is that the color is named "tough as taupe" yet it's really more of a grey than a taupe. Despite this, I do love that it's matte. It also provides an excellent base for a smokey eye look. It's also very affordable.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 1:53:00 AM More reviews by decoydream

I agree with a lot of other reviewers in saying that this leans much more towards a matte mid toned grey when applied. It's not a bad thing though because it becomes highly versatile in that you can layer other eyeshadows on top, use it as a smudgey eyeliner that's less intense than black kohl and by itself. The formulation is great (especially considering I have had no luck and therefore no faith in cream eyeshadows since they always crease!) and is easiest to apply with fingers straight onto the lid (work quickly and in thin layers). I'm not too sure whether it does stay on for 24 hours but it definitely lasts a good 10 hours without primer underneath!

I would definitely buy again but I wish they came out with more wearable colours. The blue, purple and orange look amazing but i could never pull it off without looking like an extra from cirque du soliel!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2012 4:20:00 PM More reviews by lookingood450

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

This stuff stays on like glue! I use a primer (Rain Cosmetics) and I tap this on with my finger. Love the earthy color, and it's a great base for a smokey eye.
The glass pot is high end, and the price is so reasonable-wow! I wish I was not so color phobic or I'd purchase all the snazzy bright ones too-but I'll stick with the taupe right now. Great product.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by anonyym

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

OMG I'M IN LOVE WITH THIS COLOR, it suits my green&blue eyes SOOOO well.
BUT I found it difficult to blend out :/ but with a great lightening to aply it in, it's fine.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2012 7:01:00 AM More reviews by hunnybunnyipm

I bought this on a lark - I've mostly moved on to department store brands but I try to keep an open mind. And wow - this had me really irritated at Chanel, Lancome, and Estee Lauder whose products DO NOT last like a $8 Maybelline.

I have greasy lids. I've long ago accepted that I won't get 24 hours, or 12, or 10. BUT, with Too Faced Shadow Plus as a primer, I DO get at least 10 hours, usually more out of this shadow (that's a positive, not a negative. I melt most shadows completely away in 3 or 4 hours). If it does crease, it's minimal. And it WAY outlasts my $36 Chanel, which is my favorite color ever, so that really annoys me, haha. Plus this color is so versatile.

On complaint is that it doesn't come with an applicator and you have to use the right brush to apply. I really like the Smashbox brush set I got at Ulta on Black Friday, and it puts it on beautifully. I've had less luck with other brushes - if you're not liking the application, try a few different brushes and see if that helps. Nice slice of humble pie for a department store snob :).

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2012 11:50:00 PM More reviews by missbrightside08

I like this product because of the color and staying power. The color is a good base for building up eyeshadow on top of it. However, it sets really really fast, so when you apply it you have to smudge it immediately with your finger to the area on your lid that you want it. Otherwise, if you wait even a few seconds, it will NOT budge and you can't blend it. So it really is like a tattoo right after you apply it.
The packaging is in a glass container, kind of heavy but it looks nice from the front. I don't like the cheap looking black lid with the white print on it, it looks harsh and not classy. Bought it for $7 at Target, which is kind of pricey for a drugstore brand, but the quality is quite good so the price is understandable.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2012 11:03:00 AM More reviews by missym13

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

If someone would help me with application of this product. I finally find a shadow that has staying power and NO shimmer,glimmer,or or glitter.I am having a problem though blending it on my lid. It seems to get patchy looking. How can I remedy this girls.I even tried it on with primer.I absolutely love the taupe color..the other colors are too extreme for me.