April 16, 2014 | 998 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2009 4:08:00 AM More reviews by AlasseM

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Black

Firstly, I have to say that I use this product mainly for touch ups. And also that I'm pretty fair. I know it says Translucent but maybe it isn't too translucent. I'm sure this will work out if you're fair or even medium skinned. However if you have super dark skin, then MAYBE you should skip this.

Having said that, this product works well as a touch up powder. I have to admit, I don't have the oiliest skin. The only oily area of my face is my nose which isn't too oily. I only need to touch up my makeup once throughout the day. I have sensitive skin and this product did not irritate it.

The only thing about this is its packaging. It's very cheap but so far very sturdy and I don't think it will break on me, so that's good. Another thing is its sponge. It's definitely better than many other sponges out there but it's not the best. However, for touch up purpose, it does the job. So all in all, there isn't anything I would complain about this product really. Would definitely repurchase and recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2009 1:06:00 PM More reviews by NicoleAM

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I purchased this product about two years ago, and I forgot how much I liked it!
For the price, it's definitely worth a try, and I find that it works well for sheer coverage or a finishing powder. I am extremely pale, so this powder doesn't lighten me up, though I imagine anyone with darker skin would have a problem with this power "ghosting" them out.
I believe it comes with a spongy applicator, which is absolutely terrible, as this power is best applied with a good fluffy brush.
This product would be great for touch-ups (I'm not really much of a "toucher-upper") and provides an excellent shine-free finish that lasts. It doesn't cause breakouts, and it doesn't seem to contain any of that tacky "luminous" glitter.
If you're fair skinned, you should try it!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/27/2009 1:02:00 AM More reviews by OutOfLine

I wish I could understand why everyone loves this stuff.... but I cant =[[[
It makes me look like a ghost, chalky, cakey, and it breaks me out (which NEVER happens).
Hell no, I will not be repurchasing.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2008 10:09:00 AM More reviews by roaker

This powder is good. It does the job for me. After applying foundation, I use this to set it. To me it works the same as the MAC blot powder I bought. I did not repurchase MAC blot powder, I use this instead. Why spend $20.00 for MAC, when this powder is just as good for dirt cheap.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/20/2008 6:39:00 PM More reviews by xosimplyrandomxo

I bought this at CVS for about 2 bucks and at the time, I was trying to find something to set my eye makeup since I don't wear foundation or concealer.

I heard about this through some youtube vid and decided to try it out.

While it does a great job of de-oiling my skin.. it also makes my skin look a bit pale and flaky so I'm not so hyped over that.

However, using it only on my eyeshadow does ensure lasting power, longer than if I were to only use eyeshadow. For the price, it's ok.

I'm not going to repurchase though. The packaging is not the best..the sponge is terrible..but for the price.. it's worth a try.

Hope that helps!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2008 11:08:00 AM More reviews by fancyxamy

another great product from NYC. for $2 i get everything i need in a pressed powder. perfect color match, oil control, matte/non-cakey finish, and no breakouts. there is really no reason to spend more!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2008 11:32:00 PM More reviews by Chickeys

I've tried this stuff before and don't remember being terribly impressed, but when you're a girl on a budget, you tend to forget the mediocre experiences and embrace the cheapies! :) Hence, this product -- verrrrrrrrry cheap, I paid $1.79 at Target. I use the Translucent shade (I think it comes in 4 options, but I'm too lazy to color-match at the store), and it works just fine as a makeup setter and oil-blotter. The sponge it comes with is laughable, I threw it out and use a MAC 182 kabuki or a big powder brush, and my skin has a nice soft finish. Has a tendency to cake if you overdo it though, so go with a light hand. I will repurchase this for sure, at $1.79 I can live with better-than-average. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2008 5:30:00 PM More reviews by EralkFang

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Bought for $1.99 at a Rite Aid.

Does its job well and efficiently- no frills packaging, just a wee mirror, a not so hot application sponge, and the glorious pressed powder. Looks a little strangely pale before you blend, but sets make-up well (when between loose powders), and sops up all your oil. Gives my pale skin a nice, soft finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2008 9:50:00 PM More reviews by ibuytoomuchmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is a GREAT powder.
i was considering buying the MAC blotting powder, but at the same time, i did want to save some money so i came to MUA, and found this one

it kept me oil free for longer than any other powder i've used. so great product. except for the packaging, cause its just really cheap, and ugly.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/27/2008 2:08:00 PM More reviews by marmiran23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Hands down, this is an excellent pressed powder. I use this in the Transluscent shade. It absorbs oil and shine like nothing I've ever used before and it provides an extremely MATTE finish over foundation (probably the most matte finish I've ever had). If you don't like a super matte finish, then this probably isn't the powder for you. But for $1.99 there is really no reason why any woman shouldn't try this. I still prefer my Dream Matte pressed powder for setting my foundation, but for on-the-go touchups to combat breakthrough oil, I use NYC.

UPDATE: Unfortunately this powder is TOO dry. It really dried my skin out and upsets the balance of oil production on my combo skin. Dream Matte is still wonderful though.