October 26, 2014 | 1359 users online

Eyeliner - Essence - Gel Eyeliner

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2013 1:09:00 AM More reviews by MissAwesome

This is a great eyeliner! For only $4 you get amazing quality and I'm amazed about this! I bought it from all these rave reviews and decided to give it a go.
I bought this mostly for my waterline since reviewers said this thing doesn't budge, but I was sadly disappointed when it did:( It definitely did budge and it smudged and run. What I really didn't like was how it pooled on the outer corner of my eye. Not as waterproof as it stated it was.
I stopped using this for my waterline, but I just use this on my top eyelid. Using this on my eyelid is definitely has way better results. It didn't smudge, run, or pooled. It stayed! I do have somewhat oily lids and it didn't transfer! This eyeliner definitely beat the ever-so popular Maybelline Eyestudio gel eyeliner. If I thought wearing Essence gel eyeliner on my waterline was bad, Maybelline was a huge mess. On the top lid, Maybelline smudges, and transfers.
For only $4 you should try this, if you don't like it you won't be out much. You'll like this, trust me (but only on the top lid) :)
And yes. I will buy this again :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by ohcaitlin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I ADORE this gel liner. I found it at Shopper's (Canada) for $3.99

This liner is amazing. It's so much softer than MACs gel liner. A little goes a LONG way with this! It does not budge, is HIGHLY pigmented and comes off nicely with an oil free m/u remover. I do a thick cat eye with this daily. For $3.99, I'd really suggest trying it -- if it's not your thing you can always return it! I used this with their e/s base.

For years I've bought the MAC liner, but I have no qualms purchasing this from now on :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 1:30:00 PM More reviews by KyliePlunkett

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This gel eyeliner is the best! A little goes a long way, it's creamy, drys fairly fast and stays put all day long. I always wear eye primer (Urban Decay) so that would help its staying power. I have very oily eyelids so the fact that a liner this inexpensive doesn't transfer to my crease after an hour is amazing! I have it it two colours, Miami Ink (Dark Silver) and Midnight In Pairs (black) and I plan to get the other colours once they have it in stock! If your new to gel liner and want to try it, you can't go wrong spending 4$!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 11:22:00 AM More reviews by joyousjoy88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Okay this is a very cheap gel liner and you can buy the brush Essence makes for it for less than ~$5 altogether. I did a test recently, Essence on one eye, Bobbi Brown gel liner on the other using a bent liner brush. I did not use a primer before hand. Here are my thoughts. Essence is a much more darker black than BB. It took about 2 swipes on the upper lid to get BB to match Essence. However, I think BB is slightly much more matte. By the end of the day, the line I made using Essence stayed put! BB had faded and the line looked like it had missing bits out of it and it smudged! I guess this was the reason I didn't use my BB gel liner as much and sat in my drawer. The eye that had Essence on it was still darker and barely smudged! It was still near perfect as when I applied it in the morning. I really wished I had known about Essence before spending close to $30 CAD on the BB gel liner. Essence was less than 1/3 of the cost! Also, Essence is easy to remove. I really loved the cream liner from W'n'W, but it has been discontinued and it was a pain to remove! I really wish I could compare Essence to WnW, b/c BB was no competition.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 6:06:00 PM More reviews by traceyjoy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My first gel liner ever and it's perfect. I think I prefer a gel liner over liquid or pencil liner. The good thing about this is that it's water proof and it doesn't budge after you put it on! I take it off using extra virgin olive oil and it all comes off. This is such an amazing product for less than $5. Apparently it's very comparable to high end gel liners. I would definitely recommend and repurchase this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2013 9:22:00 PM More reviews by twibz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'm an avid user of gel eyeliner, the main reason being that pencil eyeliner is not convenient to draw thick lines with and smudges, and liquid eyeliner is not really safe or easy to tightline (i.e. filling in the upper waterline) with.

I've used several pots of Maybelline Lasting Drama gel eyeliner, but found that they dry up too quickly, drag on the lids when being applied, smudge A LOT (I always end up with raccoon eyes at the end of the day..embarrassing), and are not very pigmented.

Then I finally got a taste of Essence...and, honestly, I need to give props to all the folks from Makeupalley who recommended this. I have it in Midnight in Paris, and the formula is SO pigmented, stays creamy forever, goes on smooth, and most importantly, despite the fact that I have oily eyelids, it stays ON! not perfectly mind you, since it transfers to the lower lashline a bit after 6 hours or so, but it's impressive considering my oily lids. A lot of people complain that it's hard to take off, but I had no problem swiping it off with a cotton pad dipped in baby oil.
I tried the Essence eyeliner brush as well, but did not really like it since it was a bit too wide and difficult to control for me. So I'm sticking with my Maybelline brush, and will deal with its fraying for now.

This product makes me jump up and down in joy when I apply it every morning, so I won't be looking for another liner for a long time, or ever in any matter. Give it a try! Be adventurous! You've only got 4 bucks to lose anyway. Crazy.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2013 12:25:00 AM More reviews by shen91

This was my first time using gel liner, as opposed to pencil or liquid, and I absolutely love it. It lasts literally all day, goes on really nicely.
Only downfall is it's hard to get off if you make a mistake, so you have to be precise, but overall would definitely purchase again and recommend to friends.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2013 12:45:00 PM More reviews by janeeugenia

VERY long lasting, and they mean it!!!! Lasts foreverrrrrr, thumbs up! (you need to purchase brush to apply it, usually sold with the eye liner close by)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2013 12:34:00 AM More reviews by Lisa527

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Got this when BOGO 50% off at Ulta. Dirt cheap, but the packaging is not cheap at all, very solid glass container. I got the Midnight in Paris, which is a matte black. Generally speaking, black is the easiest color to smudge even in the same product line, but this one DOES NOT! Bobbi brown gel liner smudges on me but this one does not! The product itself is soft and creamy, pretty wet and applies really smooth. Shame that Ulta only carries 2 color. Would love to try some more!

Update: I got another color in Miami Ink, which is a medium grey. It looks a bit pale in the pot, but is actually wearable on the eyes without being too sharp. Today I wore it to the gym. After 30 minutes work-out and 10 minutes in the Sauna room, the eyeliner stays put!!! I can't imagine any situation tougher than this, so gals, get this eyeliner! My personal best makeup product of the year.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2013 6:43:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Wow, these gel eye liners are great! Very creamy, lasts forever. Gives my MAC and Bobbi Brown gel eye liners a competitor, especially when comparing the price. These gel liners stay forever on my waterline too, I love it. Now just wish they had more colors to offer!

UPDATE: freaking love this shizz. PLEASE MAKE MORE COLORS!!!!! I dont ever want to buy gel liner from another company again