BeneFit Cosmetics They're Real

3.4

Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Polybutene, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Vp/Eicosene Copolymer, Acacia Senegal Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium Edta, Butylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Laureth-12 Sulfate, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Sericin, Calcium Chloride, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tilia Tomentosa Bud Extract, Citric Acid, Bht, Sorbic Acid. [+/-: Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288), Chromium Hydroxide Green (Ci 77289), Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891)]. N° 05827/N

I'm a sucker (most of my reviews state this) - and I saw a cute lil box on the Benefits counter and could not resist. It contained two travel sized "They're Real" mascaras in black and brown, a travel sized liner and a travel sized remover. Sweet.

Anyway, we are talking about the mascaras.

I accept that we are not all makeup artists and therefore, the somewhat simple act of applying mascara can be a hard one. It's a shame when a company makes a brush as horrid as the ones with this mascara though, that makes it feel like you are raking your eyelashes apart with some medieval torture device.

I am a brunette. I don't know what they were thinking when they formulated the colour of the brown mascara but this one is like camouflage paint for your eyelashes. Instead of making them stand out and look better, I think they kind of disappeared. Not cool. I can't imagine this being good for anyone.. maybe it is ok for the blonde ladies? Not sure. But for me, I ended up with predator lashes, minus the growling/clucking.

The black mascara was marginally better but still with the torture device to apply it and quite frankly, the final effect was nothing to write home about.

For the price, I'd steer well clear, there are cheaper ones that have a much nicer effect. And if you are wanting to shell out a lot of money anyway, Benefit's Rollerlash is great.

Bought it because of the hype but didn't turn out great. Have tried other mascaras, including drug store, that are much better.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I second everything in the review below this except I didn't poke myself in the eye.
I got a deluxe sample of this from Ulta and used it for one day--my curl was drooping within an hour and after 4 hours, I had tiny flakes under my eye. It was a beast to remove, as well, which isn't worth it for a mascara that flakes. Was more of a lengthen & separate mascara than a volumizer, which is fine, but I'll never this formula again. Benefit has super cute concepts and packaging, but their products never work out for me.

This is one of the worst products I have tried in a long time. Unfortunately, I was stuck with it for a four day vacation, since I threw the small travel sized tube in my suitcase before leaving.

Let's start with the torture device of an applicator. I have been wearing mascara for 25 years, and have been putting mascara on other people professionally for 15. I have never in my life poked myself in the eye with a mascara wand, and it happened THREE TIMES putting this crap on my lashes. The medieval weapon looking ball on the end has plastic spikes that are longer than the rest of the applicator, so if I put the applicator at the base of my lashes, the ball thing pokes me. Who in the everloving H-E-double hockeysticks invented this thing??

NOt only did I poke myself multiple times, the formula was too wet, and the bristles of the rest of the brush too hard and spaced too far apart to make anything better than a clumpy mess of my eyelashes.

So, now I have spent the day with clumpy, crappy looking spider leg lashes, and a poked eyeball. I come home to take this sh!t off, only to discover that it is made out of industrial epoxy! No amount of facewash, handsoap, washcloth, eye makeup remover pads, or coconut oil would get this black tar off of my face. I probably lost half my eyelashes trying to scrub it off just so I could go to bed.

In summation, eff this ess. As the kids say, I can't even.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I only ever wear false eyelashes and this is the only mascara that has even come close to giving me the volume and length that I get from false eyelashes. I love love love this mascara and would recommend anybody who wants outstanding eyelashes.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I love this mascara. I initially got the sample size in a makeup set, and wound up liking it so much I got the full size.

I'm fortunate enough to have great eyelashes, mascara or not, but this specific brand and type gives my lashes just the right amount of extra WOW factor. The only downside I can think of is that it does tend to make your lashes kinda hard once it's applied..harder than other mascaras I've used..But maybe that's why they stay looking so nice throughout the day.

I purchased this awhile back and absolutely loved it. The packaging is sleek and high quality. The brush itself is PERFECT -- it has an oval tip on top of the mascara which is perfect for reaching the little inner lashes. Leaves my lashes long with no clumps (perfect for my Asian short and thin lashes). It gave me slight volume but not too much and it looked pretty natural. Recommend this to people looking for length but not volume. Overall a pretty good mascara

They're Real used to be my HG mascara couple of years back, it is still my go-to product of choice when I don't have any inspiration on what new mascara to try out.

Good things about this mascara is that it won't flake, chip or smudge at all. I happened to cry couple of times while wearing this (I mean just a coincidence) and it didn't run all over my face. I would say this is a good water-resistant product that will look good throughout a day or night.

The negative thing is - this is one of those mascaras that are hard to remove. I personally recommend using a make-up removing oil, as it is gentle and works best at getting rid of all the make-up bits.

Overall I believe this is a fairly good mascara, one of those staple ones on the market that does it job pretty well. It does define (never clump or stick the lashes), lenghten and perhaps volumize a little.

If you want to see the review on its newer blue colored version as well as swatches, feel free to check out this blog post here. Hope it helps somehow.

I will start by saying that I think this mascara is MASSIVELY overrated.
When I first started using this mascara, I absolutely hated it! It was so wet that I couldn't do anything with it, and it would end up all over my face! Also it would smudge like hell all underneath my eyes.
I stopped using it, and went back to it a few months later when it had dried up a fair amount. This made it easier to apply, and it was OK. I just used it for the sake of using it up really. There are so many drugstore mascaras I would choose over this.
And also having used Benefit's Roller Lash, that one is a million times better than They're Real, so if you are looking at getting this one, I'd recommend getting Roller Lash instead. Or just go to the drugstore because there are a lot of amazing ones which well out perform They're Real.

Doesn't live up to the hype for me.

I'm always on the look out for the mascara Holy Grail: one that makes my lashes look longer, thicker and more like the sort batted by Thumper's girlfriend in Bambi. I was keen to try and seduced by an apparent superbrush that would reach all the stubby lash outliers that other mascaras couldn't. However the brush doesn't easily get to the short little lashes in the inner corner and for me the product doesn't apply all that well or easily.

Disappointed. I'll finish the tube but not buy again. The Grail quest remains unaccomplished!

Popular Mascaras