July 31, 2014 | 1459 users online

Fragrances - Christian Dior - Dior Addict EDP

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2010 9:51:00 AM More reviews by ArretezCharlotte

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is one of many products that has me wishing that it were possible to appoint half-lipsticks on MUA. This is worth more than the 3 that I've given it, I think, but it's not quite worth a 4.

I became madly infatuated with this stuff about a year ago after spritzing some on a sample card in my local department store. I thought it was incredibly sexy - it was, strangely, green and fresh on first spritz, then became fruity without being shockingly sweet and had more than hint of a warm, almost unisex, 'slightly too subtle to be oriental but virtually there' muskiness that I've always (save that terrible period of my teenhood in which I somehow found myself addicted to the revolting Miss Dior Cherie) found so appealing. Please excuse my vague and unprofessional scent descriptions, I know absolutely fuck all about this subject. Anyway, with us being far too broke to warrant a pricey perfume purchase, I clung onto this sample for dear life - brandished it wantonly under the noses of my exasperated family, sniffed it like a girl possessed and rubbed it furiously (and probably fruitlessly) on my wrists. A couple of months later I persuaded my parents to buy it for me when we were in Boots.

The truth is, it was never as lovely on me as it was on the sample card. You would think that a perfume would manifest itself as fruitier and sharper on a piece of paper and muskier on the human body but it seems that Addict does the exact opposite, as far as my (arguably) human body's concerned, anyway. For the first few months I didn't notice this, but I've been wearing it intermittently for the best part of a year now and undeniably, this is too much of an overpowering fruitfest on me to be a holy grail. 'You're meant to spritz perfume, not marinate in it', my father grumbled at me in the car, shortly after I'd used ONE SPRITZ of this on my neck. 'Ugh, all I can smell upstairs is your tarty perfume!' - this courtesy of one of my little sisters. The tanginess of Addict on me could be because carriers of the cystic fibrosis gene who don't suffer from the disease themselves - of which I am one - have high levels of salt in their sweat, and thus my sweat is a lot tangier than your average Jane Doe. Perhaps this is irrelevant, I don't know. I've also found more recently that this fades to a non-descript sugar on me. If my perfumes are going to gas my nearest and dearest then I'd at least like to experience them myself, but increasingly this wafts into barely detectable candy floss aroma that could be the remnants of any perfume on Earth.

If this were a lot less fruity and a lot more musky, I'd buy it again. Since it isn't, I won't. I still like it (I'm wearing it right now, there's still plenty left despite frequent use) and can't make head nor tail of the claims that I smell like someone who's been trafficked from a former Soviet Union country for carnal usage, but I do get that it's a bit, erm, nasally provocative. I think it's worth a try if you like strong, warm, fruit-musk fragrances (I wasn't lying when I said that I know fuck all about perfume) but I suspect it might be better for evening wear. Oh, and it's far too expensive.

I search on.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2010 12:22:00 AM More reviews by illeyad

I am one of those people who will always appreciate this scent on someone else but not on myself. This perfume simply does not work well with my skin chemistry.

The notes in this perfume are:mandarin leaf, silk tree flower, Queen of the Night flower, rose, jasmine, orange blossom, absolute of bourbon vanilla, sandalwood from Mysore and tonka bean. It is a Vanilla Oriental- very strong and bold. Normally, I love vanilla orientals (such as my very favourite Hypnotic Poison by Dior). However, on me this smells like chocolate, wood, and bourbon vanilla with a slight jasmine undertone. It's very sweet and deep at the same time. On others, this perfume is magic, soft and sexy, on me, I smell like I just finished a 9 hour shift at Starbucks. The scent is not complex, it remains strong and sweet from start to finish. it does not tell a story, it remains static and predictable on my skin. Sometimes a predictable perfume is good- like Donna Karen's Cashmere Mist, a comforting warm aroma that remains the same. However, it works for a soft scent like Cashmere Mist to remain dependably the same, where as, a stronger scent like Dior Addict, this affect works against it, as it becomes too overwhelming for me.

Notably, the perfumes lasting power is exceptional, it will remain on your skin all day (for me, it was about 12 hours). The bottle is mature, simple, and it even allows you to turn the nozzle to prevent it from spraying if your traveling, or have little curious toddlers. As I said, I'll walk in the bakery and enjoy the sweet smells this has to offer, but I can't work in the bakery otherwise I'll come to resent the sugary confections I enjoy.
Happy Shopping!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2010 1:37:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Well, it smells like warm vanilla pudding on me, but my husband hates it because he can smell the synthetic edges. Sigh. I really love this one, but I don't wish to be repulsive to my man, so I'll have to pass. It gets a fence-sitting 3 lippies.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2010 12:37:00 AM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

WOW! My first thought on spritzing Dior Addict on. It's a beautiful scent. This scent reminds me of Shalimar. Delightfully oriental. Not as strong as Opium; therefore, more wearable for daytime. And, yes, this is a strong sophisticated scent.
Unlike the reviewer below; I love and respect my grandmothers and would never refer to this as a toxic grandma scent. In fact; older women know better than to bathe in strong scents. It's little girls like the previous reviewer who "wore this in high school" who lack the sophistication to wear this scent. That's because these tacky little girls tend to bathe in strong scents. And, as for her "gawking" at someone wearing this lovely scent. I suggest that she closes her mouth. Gawking is rude and tacky and only makes the gawker look ill mannered and uneducated. Then again, maybe she'll outgrow it.

This lovely scent is best used sparingly. Spritz it and walk through. Or lightly dab on your pulse points only.

Dior's Addict is a sophisticated scent best reserved for nightime use. It's a rich oriental that makes a real statement. This scent can be well worn by ladies with confidence and style. I highly recommend it.

P.S. This is the ONLY scent (and I have many) that my 17 year old son ASKED me what I was wearing (actually WANTED to know the name) and gave me the "thumbs up" sign....

23 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2010 10:28:00 AM More reviews by benny143

I wore this in high school. Goes to show you how misguided we are in our teenage years!! This is what I'd wear if I wanted to smell like a toxic grandma. Anytime I have crossed paths with a woman wearing this in a business/office setting I have to gawk! This is a ONE spray, DATE night perfume. It is so overwhelming there is really no other appropriate time to wear it. Just awful!!! And you can't wash this stuff off -- blech!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2010 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Olgtat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

One of my favorites parfums.
Its so unique, i had 2 bottles already and gonna buy it again.))

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2010 7:22:00 AM More reviews by perfumenut

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am surprised that I took so long to discover (or rediscover I should say) Dior's ADDICT as I am a fragrance junkie and the notes/family of this beauty are right up my alley. I think I wasn't in a good emotional place when this fragrance got released and then by the time I was up and at 'em again, I had forgotten about it or just wasn't interested in the Dior counter (I was - and still am - on a major Guerlain kick).

However, I was recently at Epcot in the "France" section and I set about looking to bring home a rare Guerlain and nothing moved me in Guerlain as hard as Dior's ADDICT hit me. It was soooo comforting and my husband loves it too (a definite plus because he's picky). I used to think of this fragrance as in your face, brash and sharp but on me it has become cozy and comforting and on my skin - gourmand in the way that I can handle it (I'm not a gourmand fan). Just fabulous! Vanilla, tonka - yum! Maybe I was just tired of all the walking and needed comfort...

But, then I returned home and the real test began - was ADDICT just a passing fancy or will it forever stay on my vanity??? Well, 3 weeks later and YES - it will forever stay! Great winter scent but I honestly think it melds so much with my skin chemistry that I can wear it year round with a light touch. Great bottle - getting harder to find at major dept. stores (I was shocked that the original Addict was not available at my local Macy's and Bloomingdales)!

Reminds me of a richer, higher quality ingredient version of Victoria Secret's Decadent Desire Limited Edition fragrance set from a few Holiday seasons ago....loved that too :-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2010 1:52:00 PM More reviews by JenniStarBrite

I am AMAZED no one has compared this to Laura Mercier's Nuits Enchantees which was LE and discontinued now :(. I LOVED that fragrance and was always looking for something similar. I found it in Dior Addict.I sprayed Addict on one wrist and Nuits on the other and they are so close. Nuits is a little creamier and more vanilla sweet but the diff is so mild.

Addict is a super unique scent like the LM Enchantees was. Warm, spicy, with that vanilla base but just an undefinable 'something' about it. Its def a winter fragrance for some, but I would wear this anytime; out at night or at work during the day. I find it starts off strong but then fades quickly into that mellow delicious, warm, spiciness with a hint of powder that I adore.

ONLY complaint is it doesnt last as long as I would like. :( the Nuits Enchantees was Parfum so that lasted FOREVER! I'd smell it next day. This is more subtle but still really worth it if you want something not everyone else is wearing.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2010 2:43:00 AM More reviews by tevaka

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wear this product day. And night.

Especially night.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2009 7:16:00 PM More reviews by aquarion01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sexy,grown,wintery,seductive,lights dimmed .......that's what this is to me & I love it. I have had this for several years, a winter scent for sure with staying power till you shower it off. A must have!