Thierry Mugler Angel

3.2

When I first saw this perfume, I fell in love with the bottle. And that was the only reason I wanted it. I read on the Thierry Mugler website the description about the fragrance and it sounded good. I'm alway reluctant to order perfume online. And I'm glad I waited. I received a sample of Angel from Macy's. It was awful! I couldn't stand to be near it. Too strong of a smell for me. Way too overpowering as well.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Worst scent ever. Seriously nasty. It's incredibly overpowering and obnoxiously stinky. The odor made me nauseated and it was very difficult to wash it away. Even after showering and scrubbing with soap and a loofah, I could still smell the stink on my wrist. I'm shocked that some people actually like this hot mess.

Dissgusting. This is probably the worst perfume on the market. One thing I absolutly hate about perfumes in when they smell masculine, and this perfume deffinitly fits masculine. It smells over powering, strange-not in a good way- and you cant get it off your skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

When Angel EDP launched in 1992, I thought it was the most *gorgeous* perfume ever created, and I fell madly in love with it. Angel was my runaway #1 favorite throughout the 90's, and I sang its praises to anyone who would listen. Swoon-worthy. It never occurred to me that everybody in the universe wouldn't be madly in love with it too. It was so obviously the best perfume ever made, to my nose -- head and shoulders above all others. How could anybody not LOVE Angel to pieces as I did?

Unfortunately, I started reading online reviews about Angel -- many of which were severely negative. I was soooo shocked and disappointed to read any criticisms whatsoever about my beloved Angel, let alone so many vicious ones.

However, In spite of naysayers, Angel has been a huge success -- a gamechanger -- a trendsetter -- and it continues to be a best-seller. This fragrance seems to be polarizing, and we fans apparently outweigh the haters by a long shot. I still love Angel EDP, and I'm currently working to finish my .8oz star so I can get another fresh refill. I also plan to buy the body cream some day.

I really love original Angel EDP (1992) much more than the comet-shaped EDT version, which came along in 2011. In EDT, they toned down the patchouli (which seems to be the most complained about note in EDP), but to my nose the EDT formula smells "pine-ish" and not gourmand enough. EDT still has the basic Angel flavor -- but I think it lacks a lot of Angel EDP's magic. I want all of that wonderful chocolate, caramel, and vanilla that the EDP has -- that's what makes Angel so special.

Here are the notes in star-shaped Angel EDP from 1992, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Bergamot, Jasmine, Cassia, Coconut, Mandarin, Melon, Cotton candy
Heart Notes - Apricot, Blackberry, Honey, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Orchid, Peach, Plum, Rose, Red berries
Base Notes - Amber, Caramel, Musk, Patchouli, Chocolate, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Here are the notes in comet-shaped Angel EDT from 2011, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Bergamot, Red pepper
Heart Notes - Praliné, Red fruits
Base Notes - Patchouli, Vanilla, White musk, Cedar

It's original Angel EDP all the way for me (not EDT or flankers), and if I want it lighter, I just spray less -- which is easy to do, since the well-made sprayer on the star bottle allows you to easily extrude just a tiny drop. Therefore, keeping Angel EDP soft and close-to-the-body is very doable, and I don't see its strength as being a problem at all. You only need a small amount, and its lasting-power is fabulous. The note blend of the original EDP is simply gorgeous and delicious.

A few celebs have advertised Angel -- Naomi Watts did for a while -- but I love that Eva Mendes (who coincidentally played the "spritzer girl" in The Women) is now advertising Angel, since I know my crush Ryan Gosling must be smelling it on her all the time. I've read Eva say she wears EDT during the day and EDP more for night. I think the ads for Angel have all been breathtakingly beautiful and very effective.

ADDENDUM 1/2/16: I own lots of perfumes, rotate constantly, and my husband never says anything, but I wore Angel EDP yesterday, and he said, "What are you wearing today? It smells really good!" He has complimented Angel before. Many reviewers have said it, and in my life it's true: Angel EDP is indeed a man-pleaser.

Angel EDP is beautiful, delicious, has great throw and lasting-power -- and is a huge commercial success for a reason. An outstanding perfume -- very signature-worthy. In my book, it's a masterpiece. I'll always have it in my collection.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

*FRESH* patchouli, LOVE THIS!!

No thanks. This is absolutely disgusting. It smells like incense, BAD ones, and kinda like my mom & dads duffel bags they would bring home from deployments, and shoe polish now that I think of it. Thank goodness i only have free samples, and no one hated me enough to give this as a gift.

Im on my second bottle of it. The first one smells gorgeous, would say its my all time favourite. Used it up recently and bought a second bottle. I notice with this bottle, the fragrance looks a darker blue, and smells different than before. I bought the same, eau de parfum, last time i got 25ml, this time 50ml. I dont know what it is, but its just not the same :(

Angel-lovers...sorry don't keep reading. I want to love this and thought the bottle was beautiful. I've been staring at it on my shelf on and off for the last 2 years and finally gave it away to my neighbor who is a complete fan. Maybe it's just me, but the "fragrance" is reminiscent of a 70's basement party and summer sweat. If you're looking for staying power, the EDP is a keeper....unfortunately, I couldn't loofah it off fast enough.

This perfume came in my Sephora fragrance sampler kit. It smells BAD. I don't know how to explain it. I just do not like it.

It's been my signature scent since it came out that is maybe a thousand light years ago but...now something has changed. Angel used to smell expensive with this deep sweet, extremely sweet musty note that I loved. Then the body cream was a bit different but while I used it it blended with my skin straight away. The fragrance topped over the cream smelled divine. Now I'm desperately trying to find old bottles of Angel and pots of body cream. It has now turned sharper and kind of floral -even my husband noticed. He said 'what's that thing you're wearing?' (It was a new bottle of Angel apparently). I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed the change. I mean I'll keep buying it until I find another signature scent that gives me the same uplift like Angel used to back then. But alas, it's not the same. Even the color of the juice has turned more blue. Angel used to be blue but not that weird fluorescent blue. I seriously suspect it was reformulated.

Popular Fragrances