December 21, 2014 | 1669 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2010 10:23:00 AM More reviews by Regeena

I went into LUSH looking for a cleanser to control oil and blemishes and to even out my skin tone. I have a very oily t-zone, occasional mild breakouts, redness around the cheeks and blackheads on the nose and chin that I wanted to be rid of.
The SA recommended that I try either Coal Face or Fresh Farmacy. I went with Coal Face with the intention of trying FF in a couple of weeks.

I've been using this product mostly twice a day (always at least at night before bed) since Friday and I'm cautiously optimistic so far.

A lot of people are complaining about the smell. It smells strongly of black licorice and...almost woodsy, too. I happen to find the scent very, very comforting.

The soap is very abrasive if applied directly to the face. I first lather in my hands then apply. LOVE the lather!

My face feels squeaky clean after washing and doesn't look nearly as red as with other cleansers I've used in the past. That alone, to me is impressive.

I HAVE broken out a little bit the past few days, however, I'm not quick to blame this product. I'll blame my hormones for at least another week or two, unless the problem gets worse.

This morning, while applying my moisturizer (LUSH's Vanishing Cream, which I bought paired with Coal Face) I noticed that my chin looked MUCH clearer. My blackheads seem to be disappearing. I will continue to use this soap just for that alone!!

All in all, I'm very excited about this soap even though I've been using it less than a week. I have noticed slightly less oil production during the day and am hoping that with continued use, this soap will be just what I've been waiting for.

UPDATE: I've now been using Coal Face for about two months. After the first couple of weeks, my skin broke out and I stopped using this soap, afraid that it was causing my breakouts. After about two weeks of non-use my skin started to become oily again about 3 hours after applying my foundation and I was heartbroken. I was back to touching up my foundation with powder and oil absorbing sheets throughout the day. After my skin mostly cleared up, I decided to give coal face one more try since it did an AMAZING job at keeping my oily skin under control and also, I noticed a definite improvement in my skin tone, not nearly as many red blotches anymore. I've been using Coal Face since I went back to it and even went back to Lush to purchase more (about 15 dollars worth). I've decided as it stands, Coal Face is possibly the best soap I've used for my oily skin. I'm now back to almost never having to powder during the work day (sometimes, before I go out for lunch, I'll do a very slight touch up). I'm very happy with this soap and will be repurchasing again and again. My only gripe now is that my cheeks are slightly dry but it's nothing that a moisturizer doesn't take care of. I would totally recommend this soap to anyone with oily skin. Use it for two weeks and see how you like it and take it from there. This is my HG cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2010 5:58:00 AM More reviews by x3rjessikers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this face wash! I believe this improved my skin dramatically. I went in more interested in their face products. I told the SA that I had super oily, acne prone skin and he directed me towards coal face. He told me what it had in it and how it should help my skin yada yada yada. I was kind og skeptical about how my face would react, so he offered to cut me a small $2 piece to take home. So I did. I loved how this cleanser felt on m skin. It kind of lathers, but not really. You have to work it a bit to make it later. It leaves you with that squeaky clean feeling which I love. It feels kind of tight, but nothing a little toner and moisturizer couldn't fix. The smell take a while to get used to. I kind of cringed at the smell at first but I've come to like it. It has bits of coal in it, some of them are really scratchy. I noticed a few cuts on my face here an there and it was probably due to the coal in it. The easiest way I find to use it is to lather it in my hands and then wash my face with it. It improved my skin condition dramatically. My acne has slowed. My face is almost clear. And most importantly, my oil has been reduced. Not to the point where my skin is normal now, but enough so I don't have to touch up my make up as often in the day. Its been over 4 months and I'm still on my little $2 bar. I already bought a $3 replacement bar for it. Love this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2010 11:44:00 AM More reviews by shestudieslaw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Awesome product. I haven't used anything better, thusfar, and I have used so many cleansers.

PROS:

Cost---I had them cut me a $4.00 bar which lasted me well over a month.
Removes Oil---My skin is so oily, that I cannot even use moisturizer on my face. CoslFace washes it all away.
Texture---My skin tone/texture has improved dramatically.

CONS:

Drying Tightness----Makes your skin tight, but a good kind of tight for me. It's exactly what I need, but those with normal skin may find too drying.
Must alternate use---Skin gets used to the product after a few weeks. Need to alternate with another product to balance skin and avoid breakouts..
Packaging---Need a container to house product. Cannot leave out, or it wil melt away.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2010 10:55:00 AM More reviews by 601Sparkles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

One of the BEST facewashes for oily skin. Sucks out all the impurities. After one use most of the tiny bumps I had were completely smoothes out and my skin looked flawless. I did end up buying gorgeous moisterizer because this one is very drying and I am happy with the effects even if it is a little on the pricey side.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2010 4:20:00 AM More reviews by Roxxy6341

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The simple fact is, all LUSH products do not work for everybody. I got a sample of this, because I had heard good things about it. It has no scent really. Coal Face is a very strange little soap. When I tried it in the shower, it felt nice on my skin, cleaned it pretty well, but when I got out, boy did I need moisturizer. This just sucked the oil-moisture-whatnot out of my face.
I like this for the summertime when i'm a bit more oily, this helps keep my face pretty clean.
The sample I go was very generous, and as I'm not using it now for my face, I use it as a hand soap, and finish it.
I don't think I will repurchase, simply because this was not for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2010 1:35:00 AM More reviews by forcedorgasm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i love this soap!! i have oily skin that appears very meh. this soap isnt cheap and i've found a very effective way of using it. of course i cut into smaller pieces to use. i only wet one side of this soap and glide it over my face. that way, i'm not wasting product by lathering too much between my hands. i rub in and let sit for a few seconds before washing off. my face is left somewhat brighter and appears much clearer. i get a squeaky clean feel without the tight feeling effect. i love the smell, very earthy.. it has some coal pieces which can be either abrasive or exfoliating, pending. i'd def buy this again and highly recommend to anyone with oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2010 10:56:00 PM More reviews by pipsqu3ak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I went through my entire (!!!) baby Coal Face when I bought it in the Naked set. I have the oiliest skin known to mankind and this is the only cleanser that leaves me with clean, oil-free skin. I have no problems with tightness simply because I have enough oil to fry chips with, but others might have an issue with it. Recommended only for the very oiliest of skin, like mine. Smells nice. Like the bits of charcoal. Like that it's solid and not in a bottle. Just... a winner. All around.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/17/2010 5:00:00 PM More reviews by wormzscareme

I was super stoked to try this product as my best friend swears by LUSH. However, it didnt end up working for me. After washing with this product, my skin felt squeaky clean and tight. Also, the exfoliating bits in the bar were a bit too harsh on my sensitive skin. It was a little pricy for my budget (I got a $13 block) but the bar lasted over three months. In the end I just used it on my upper arms as it seemed to help with the bumps there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2010 1:18:00 AM More reviews by murflegirl

After running out of my facial cleanser, I was on the market for something that helped keep my oily, acne-prone skin in check. I'd read about the LUSH facial cleansers, but had never tried them. I decided to try this one because it was marketed toward oily, acne-prone skin like mine. I think the price point is pretty awesome because since it's a solid, you can just tell them how much you want to spend. My chunk of it was a little over $7 and it's quite sizable!! The soap is a bit off-putting because it's black. It also smells faintly of black licorice and charcoal. The charcoal is ground up super fine so it's a bit of an exfoliating experience when you wash your face. However, despite it's unassuming looks and funky smell, I found heaven in how squeaky-clean this left my face. Removed all traces of makeup and left me ready for the day! I found that my moisturizer started absorbing a lot more easily into my skin as well!
Great soap for my skin, and will repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2010 3:24:00 PM More reviews by Saga17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

The Lush store near me ran out of my favourite cleanser (Fresh Farmacy) so the SA persuaded me to buy this one instead. It's similar in a way that it removes makeup and cleanes my face very thoroughly but it's a bit too drying. I really like the scent, it smells a bit like liquorice to me :) Maybe for very oily skin this facial soap would be a dream but I need something a bit more moisturising.