LUSH coal face soap

3.8

Liquorice Root Decoction (Glycyrrhiza glabra) , Water (Aqua) , Rapeseed Oil (Brassica napus) , Glycerine , Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera) , Sorbitol , Fragrance , Sodium Stearate , Sodium Hydroxide , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Sandalwood Oil (Santalum austro-caledonicum vieill and Fusanus spicatus) , Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeordora) , Powdered Charcoal , Sodium Chloride , EDTA , Tetrasodium Etidronate , Farnesol , Geraniol , Linalool , Silver Lustre (Potassium silicate, Titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and Iron hydroxides) .

I like the smell of it... I had to keep it in a soap container so it wouldn't melt or ruin the soap. For some reason whenever i use a face wash with "Coal" in it, It gets stuck in my pores and makes them noticeable. I liked it at first but now it's just a regular overpriced soap that makes my pores show.Will not repurchase...

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I used this product for a couple weeks, and ended up not using it again.
My reasons?:

It's very drying, and I just found that it didn't work for my skin anymore!

I have now been using Lush Fresh Farmacy, and It's soo much better!

I really, really love this cleanser. I love the smell, which I honestly did not know was licorice. I love the feel of my skin after I use it. It leaves my skin feeling smooth, and I usually have rather rough skin. After using this for only 3 days, I see a HUGE difference in the overall look of my skin. I like to take a facial cleansing brush (you can get one at Sephora for, like, 5 bucks), get it wet with warm water and swirl it around on top of the soap. Then I use the brush on my face, and it foams up really really well that way. If some of you are having an issue with the way the cleanser foams up, try it that way. That should make it way better.

Bought this for my boyfriend who has very oily skin. He gets pretty bad blackheads due to oil so I bought this for him. It works fairly well, the blackheads are smaller in size but it hasn't cleared his skin up completely. I use proactiv so now he's using that in the morning and the coal face at night.
Love the smell even though I'm not a fan of black licorice, he likes it too because it's not girly.
It lasts forever which makes it a good deal.
I use it on occasion when I'm lazy but for me it's too drying to use often as I have combination skin.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I was given a large chunk of this as a sample to try from Lush, and it's lasting me ages! I probably won't need to actually buy a piece for months :)

I use this in the mornings as I need a cleanser that I can use very quickly in the shower and that I can just rub on with my hands and rinse off. This does the trick. My skin can feel quite greasy first thing as I use a rich moisturiser at night, and Coal Face leaves my skin feeling clean and refreshed.

It does feel a bit drying, but not so much that it's uncomfortable. I did have some breakouts before I first started using it which have now cleared up, but I'm not sure that Coal Face was the reason or something else. I like the smell, it doesn't smell like licorice to me, just earthy and rich. If it's still effective when I finish the sample I'll definitely buy another piece.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

LOVE IT. I have very oily skin and I used to have acne. I still get bad spots on the sides of my face. However, I haven't gotten a breakout in SO long because of this soap. If I have a spot, I use this and the spot is gone the very next day. Amazing. I find it a little drying on my face but once I use a moisturiser, it's fine. I've had this product for months and it's not even close to running out. A bit expensive, but I must say it was definitely not a waste of money.

My facial skin can never decide whether it wants to be dry combination or oily combination and given that, I switch my products around a lot.
Switched to Coalface to dry my t zone out a little and its swung my skin to full on dry... It lathers well,( for a lush product, that is), smells ok, and leaves my face felling absolutely tight..i follow it up with a tea tree toner and Paradise regained( a moisturizer from Lush, that smells heavenly!)..The reason why I might buy this again is...with this trio of products, my face looks fresh and matte all day, and that makes this worth it for me.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

Coalface makes your skin feel clean, SOFT, and most importantly, it doesn't give you that that tighter-than-spandex feeling that other products sometimes give you after washing or exfoliating your face. It really does a wonderful job at whisking oil away and leaving your face feeling refreshed. You use it like any other soap--wet the bar and rub it in your hand to get a lather going. It lathers up really well and you still get the bits of exfoliators that you need. Because it is a black soap, it can leave an unpleasant looking dark residue on your wall soap dish so I suggest either buying the tin from LUSH or getting one of those plastic soap dishes with a cover (to prevent the soap from encountering excess water). Because this is a natural product, you're not going to get an artificial flowery or fruity smell or anything like that. So, not to say it necessarily smells bad (because it doesn't...at least not in my opinion) but be forewarned that the smell may not be for everyone. I'm not too good at describing it's scent, but the best I can come up with is that it smells Herb-y.
As for price, because LUSH stores use a scale to weigh and price their products that are made in bulk, you can ask them to cut you a very small piece (about 4 or 5 dollars worth) to initially try or better yet, you can ask for a free sample! You can buy as little or as much as you want therefore cost is really up to you! I usually get a 1/4 pound and its about 11 dollars. This may sound like a lot of money for soap, but in actuality it's not because it lasts me a long time--about 2 and a half months!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love love LOVE this product! I have acne and clog prone skin and i was fighting with really bad cystic acne for more than a year. I was looking for something that would even out my complexion, make my skin clean and soft without leaving it overly dry.
Ive been using Coal Face for more than a month now and Im amazed. My face feels squeaky clean after washing, I got rid of most of my beloved blackheads and clogged pores and Im very happy about its peeling effect too since I prefer a little abrasive cleansers.
Ill definitely repurchase.

I've been using Coal Face for a few months now, and I do like it and it works well with my skin type during both summer and winter weather. I have combination skin with occational breakouts right before my period. It does a great job of keeping my skin under control during those breakouts without drying my skin out. I haven't even been using a moisturizer, exept for my liquid foundations, (terrible I know!) and it keeps my skin balanced all over. I do use the BB Seaweed mask once a week though too to provide my skin with moisture in the areas it needs it. I'm currently testing out some of Origin's moisturizers at the moment...the cleanser is not working out for me though (see my Checks and Balance review for more info). Anyway, back to Coal Face. I love the smell personally, and that there are little shimmers in it (they won't show up on your face from what I can tell). My only gripe about this product, and the reason I'm going to stop using it, is the price. I would say I go through about one $13.00 bar every month because they tend to break down really fast. I try to keep it in it's own little dish, but sometimes I take it into the shower and it sits in there while my roommates shower as well and breaks down with the water and humidity. It may be the way I'm caring for it, but it just doesn't seem to last long enough for the price. I know $13.00 sounds cheap but when you compare it to other amazing products I've used that are a little more expensive ($30-$40) that come in a pump and one pump is enough, and the whole product lasts for 6 months it's a better deal even though your putting more money out up front. It ends up being half of what I spend on Coal Face every month for a year ($156.00). One of my favorite cleansers, which I will probably be starting to use again even though it's more money up front, is by Only YoursX Skin Care and it's called Gentle Citrus Cleanser. You can only find it through a licensed cosmotologist though I believe. I get mine from Trevino Skin Care in downtown Seattle in the Nordstrom building. That line has alot of great products and they do last about 6 months. I just decided to try Coal Face months ago because I didn't want to spend alot on a cleanser at the time so I picked up a bar for about $7 to try it and liked it but it ended up being more expensive in the long run to keep using it!