Desert Essence Jojoba Oil - 100 pure

4.3

Not tested on animals

Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil.

on 12/10/2012 10:41:00 AM

I have been using this now for about a month, and I am thrilled with the results.

I am a product junkie and have tried everything from Obagi to La Mer, to all of the expensive European brands that promise the moon and don't deliver.

Up until now, the item that worked the best for me was La Mer, but, good golly, that stuff is like buying gold!

I've been working hard to try and minimize the chemicals I put on and in my body, so I was intrigued by the great reviews on here for the jojoba oil. I bought some of it, and also some organic coconut oil, and I have been amazed by the results in only one month of use.

I have historically had very oily skin in my 20's and 30's, which gave way to combo and t-zone oiliness in my 40's.

I started out only using it as a nighttime moisturizer, slathering it on pretty heavily, but after seeing how much it was smoothing lines and obliterating dryness around my eyes and nose caused by retinol use, I began also using a light layer of it during the day under my make-up.

When I did my last TCA chemical peel about 3 weeks ago, I used this to calm my skin and aid with the healing process. It was great for that purpose, and replaced the other more chemically things I had been using apres-peel.

As soon as I put it on, my whole face feels silkier and smoother and looks brighter. I am so happy with this product and can't believe what a difference a month has made in the appearance of my skin!

on 11/20/2012 3:56:00 PM

This is what I moved to using after the Moroccan Oil became too expensive for my hair. It's love and I will continue to buy it!
Just remember, less is more and never use near the roots of your hair. :)

I also use it as a body moisturizer if I'm feeling kinda dry, it's super silky on the skin as well so this is a fabulous product!

The SPF factor of this product is between a 3 and 5 so it offers a little protection but not much. In fact, it's not enough even for 30 min out in the sun but it does add valuable nutrition to your body and hair so I'd def think about getting this stuff.

on 11/5/2012 12:37:00 AM

PROS: Heavenly moisturization . Wonderfully mild on my very sensitive skin. I can't believe this did not break me out. I mean, it's an oil. But I tried it based on MUA'ers advice who were even recommending it to those with acne in some kind of prewash ritual. I have very easily clogged combination skin, so I can't believe this doesn't clog my pores at all. I've used it for months and even did the one side with and one side without test for a month. It's very soothing and smoothing. It's great for removing waterproof mascara because it doesn't leave my eye skin too greasy or bother my sensitive eyes.

CONS: I usually try to find at least one con, but I couldn't.

APPLICATION TIPS: I use this before or even instead of moisturizing cream at night. ****I've started to use this on dry skin before I cleanse. I put it on and then add water and then cleanser. Helps to keep my cleansing much gentler on my skin. (Also makes makeup removal a breeze.) I have now even started using this to remove waterproof mascara, and it doesn't bother my eyes at all and doesn't leave the eye skin too greasy either. I also like to add a few drops to my bath.

PURCHASING TIPS: I buy this cheap at places like vitacost.com or luckyvitamin.com. My favorite is the organic version of this from Desert Essence. There is an organic version and nonorganic (regular) version.

ALTERNATES: I love grape seed oil as well, because it's also a lighter oil (and it's even cheaper than this - buy in grocery area.).

on 11/1/2012 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Saved my skin! I have suffered from adult acne for going on 3 years now and was desperate for anything to work. I have tried numerous BHA, AHA, Retinol, etc products with none giving me the results I needed. I reluctantly gave into trying the Oil Cleansing Method with Jojoba Oil (closest match to skins natural sebum) and will never look back. It is an amazing makeup remover (even waterproof mascara) and goes deep into the pores to really clean them out. I noticed a 75% improvement in my skin within the first week! I will never again use the harsh chemicals to strip oils from my face as I believe I was doing more damage than good. My nightly routine now consists of:

1. Apply dime size amount of pure jojoba oil to dry face (make-up and all) and thouroughly massage in
2. Use baby wash cloth to wipe away all oil and product
3. Sometimes I'll use Cerave Hydrating cleanser after
4. Apply Neutrogena Naturals Moisturizer with a few drops of Jojoba oil to hydrate

This routine has given me back my beautiful glowing non-acne skin! Now if I can find a way to banish all these pesky red scars from former breakouts.

on 10/25/2012 11:35:00 AM

This is a new addition to my HG product list.

I suffered from adult-onset acne in my early 20s and while it's gone now, I have since been super cautious about trying new products on my skin. My normal routine for the past few years has been Pond's Dry skin cream in the morning (which is fairly thick, inexpensive, and moisturizing but does not irritate or break out my skin at all). At night, I use Ponds Cold cream with a makeup cleansing cloth, followed by Mario Badescu eye cream and night cream.

While the night routine was working fine, and my skin was pretty hydrated upon waking, I also have to shower every a.m., and during the last few months (even in the summer) I was noticing that my chin and around my nose were starting to look a bit flakey by midday. I first tried to combat this by doing a double application of my morning moisturizer (once right after showering, and then again before applying my makeup), but this didn't seem to be working. I read and researched moisturizers out the wazoo on MUA, but was really hesitant to jump to a high-end moisturizer that would cost a ton of money (in a tiny jar) that would not combat the dryness issue, or worse, inflame or irritate my skin.

I read about jojoba oil on here, saw the price on Amazon and figured for $6 it was worth a shot, even despite my nagging reservations about new products contributing to skin irritation or acne flareups. And while it may seem counterintuitive to add oil to skin that had fairly severe acne problems in the past, I can honestly say that after a month of using this, I don't think I could ever again go without it.

I pat on a few drops of this on my chin, around my nose and under my eyes after I get out of the shower and give it a few minutes to completely absorb, then do my regular moisturizer, then makeup. I have had zero issues with flakiness or dry-looking skin since beginning to use this product. At night, I still use cold cream to take off all of my makeup, but then a use a few more drops of this all over my face and eyes before I go to bed. I feel like my skin is glowing when I wake up in the mornings; it doesn't feel greasy or slick at all.

My only complaint (if there is such a thing, I truly am so happy to have found this stuff) is that I think the bottle design would be a bit better if it had a dropper-style top, as the squeeze top can drip a little.

on 10/24/2012 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have very dry skin and one acne every month. Start using Jojoba Oil last week. I add 3 drops into my night cream and I feel very moisturizers in the morning when I wake up! I recommended to give it a try, if you found too oily than you can use it on your hair or body!

on 10/19/2012 6:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I saw many good reviews about this and decided to give it a try but Im not sure if this product actually works.

Im using it as a moisturizer for face and for my back and i have to say it is OILY. As it is so oily, i do not know whether it has good absorbance or not. I see many reviews here it is not oily and absorb fasts but it is really oily to me!

After 1 week: Face acne did not improve much with a few new ones coming out. For back, it seems to be doing fine as there are no new break outs at all at the moment.

After 3 weeks: Abandoned method. Did not work well for me.

on 9/23/2012 2:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I LOVE THIS OIL! This is just the best thing for soft hair. It makes my hair feel like silk. I just love it. On wet, freshly washed/shampooed hair, apply jojoba oil, then a leave-in conditioner and you will have the softest hair you can imagine.

I've also used it to remove make up. Just pour a bit into the palm of your hand and massage all over your face and eyes and then wash off with your fave cleanser. It removes all make-up, including eye make up.

on 9/18/2012 12:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

At first I thought jojoba oil was keeping my skin clear. I was wrong. A few weeks after using it as a moisturizer (I was only using a few drops), my skin was getting HORRIBLY clogged every few days. I've always had issues with clogged pores, but this time it was ridiculous. My face also became way too shiny halfway into the day whenever I used jojoba oil to moisturize. It seems like it works well enough for a lot of people, but if you have issues with clogged pores be very wary of jojoba oil. Also, the packaging of the Desert Essence product made it very easy to let a bit too much slip out, and when it comes to jojoba oil a little bit goes a long way, so you don't necessarily want to accidentally use too much of it.

on 9/4/2012 3:53:00 PM

One of my bosses suggested I use jojoba oil for my sensitive skin. She said it can even help with hair loss in some cases. I picked up a bottle and have kept it in stock ever since. I find it works best when I put it on right before I get out of the shower. My face is less oily than before, and I don't break out. The only drawback is the packaging. As others have stated, the bottle isn't great.

Popular Moisturizers