April 16, 2014 | 2043 users online

Primer/ Corrector - L'Oreal - Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by southernchic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this primer! I don't use it on my entire face (apply moisturizer first) I just use it on my hyperpigmentation problem areas which are my cheeks and i apply a little under my eyes then i apply my mac prolongwear concealer to those areas and set with my mac blot powder. I dont think the price is expensive, i buy the mini size from my local dollar general for 5 bucks its a 3 week supply but it last longer for me i guess because i dont use it over my entire face.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2012 1:41:00 AM More reviews by leeleebb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was the first primer I had ever purchased. I love it, but I hate it at the same time if that makes any sense. I really liked the way it evened my skin tone and most days I would just wear this by itself and it gave a nice "no-makeup" look. It just made it look like I had really awesome looking skin. It did even better under foundation. The foundation glides over it and it works as an eye primer as well (for me that is). My eye makeup applies thicker and I don't have to use as much shadow, and it stays on longer.This is kind of bias since I have never used any other primer. I just like this enough to keep using it.

I don't like the packaging. I have longer nails, and I would end up with most of it in my nail when I would try and get some on my finger. If there is another way to get this stuff out of that little jar, please let me know. I feel like I waste more of it that way, since there isn't really that much in it.

I thought at first that I was spending way too much for what I was getting, but it doesn't take much at all. I wear this about 4 to 5 times in a given week and it lasted a while. Trust me when I say a little bit goes a long way.

I also don't like the greasy feeling. My skin is already pretty oily. After washing my face, it will feel and look oily about 30 minutes later. I also have acne prone skin as well. This primer did not break my skin out at all. Which was surprising considering how greasy feeling this stuff is.

Overall, this is a great primer for me and other than the aggravating small opening in the jar and the feeling that I am putting crisco on my face, this is a great product. Until I actually decide to take the risk to purchase another primer.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/23/2012 12:50:00 PM More reviews by GorgeousWednesday

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I got this primer when it was brand new so it was pretty expensive when I bought it. This primer goes on amazing, leaves your skin looking poreless, matte (but not dry) and airbrushed. But this is where the good news stops. After about an hour my face looks like someone could cook pankcakes on it. SO GREASY! I really want to love this but I just can't. No amount of powder could stop the oil spill that happens on my face. I still use it because it was a lot of money but I only use it on my cheeks, to make them look dewy (this is the only thing that this is good for). BUT it doesn't break me out! Maybe I have just been lucky. Oh well. I won't buy this product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2012 12:22:00 PM More reviews by oogg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was intending to buy nyx HD primer when it was out of stock in the local store so i decided i ll try this for me it is one of the nest primers ever
Pros
Very tiny amount goes long way
Practical packaging as a tube or pump will not dispese the product with this texture properly
Hodes pores fine lines eleminates shine amf keeps makeup for up to 8 to 10 hours
Cons
Packaging is not exactly hygeinic
Not easily blended for someone not used to the texture
U have to weite for awhile b4 applying it over th moisturiser
And not suitable for younger age groups

rated 3 of 5 on 9/13/2012 1:52:00 AM More reviews by ShimmerSands78

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This isnt a bad primer, but its not the best one either. It really does smooth out my skin and prep it for foundation, but it feels like it never "dries" all the way. I recommend using this with a long wearing foundation, I tried it with a lightweight foundation and my face felt tacky all day.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2012 9:45:00 AM More reviews by Lovedogs841

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

It seems to give foundation a good staying power. But has anyone else noticed that when you initially put it on, it seems to turn your face pale and a bit chalky-looking?

rated 1 of 5 on 9/6/2012 12:13:00 PM More reviews by YWMCC

This doesn't work for me, I cannot make it work either. It was very hard for me to blind in and felt like there was no benefit.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2012 5:30:00 PM More reviews by dawnlois

First of all - I absolutely agree with all the other older ladies (being one myself, and damned proud of it!) that all you younger ladies should probably give this product a pass. Not that primers aren't useful for everyone to bind makeup to your skin (once you've found the right one) but women with smooth young skin just aren't going to see the benefits of this like we do. I've rarely been so impressed with a product that can sometimes seem so superfluous. That is, until you find the one that really works for you - then it quickly begins to take on a "can't live without it" aura. Anyway - apply this correctly. Apply moisturizer (with sunblock, DUH!) and let it sink in for 10 minutes or so. Then dot this on LIGHTLY and pat - DON"T rub - onto desired spots. For me, that's my chin, around my mouth, the sides of my nose, my "I want" lines ( between my brows) and the tiniest bit on lines on my forehead. Then let THAT sit for 5 minutes or so, before applying whatever makeup you choose. I have experimented, and I think this primer works best with iny amount of liquid foundation or concealer, but that's just a personal dislike of powder foundations, since
I have some lines and wrinkles for them to settle in, and I just don't think powder formulas are very flattering on older skin as a rule.
If you have patience when applying this, and layer carefully, I believe you'll be impressed. Makeup wears all day, colors stay vibrant and don't seem to fade, and while I don't have oily issues, I also NEVER get dry, flaky, cakey spots throughout the day, which is huge.
At the end of the day - take this off properly! I think that's a BIG reason why women in general get turned off by primers, because they break out or end up dull and congested, and I firmly believe that's because they're not removing this well enough. Think about it - it's meant to last all day and bind other products to your skin, so it stands to reason that just regular soap and water ain't gonna cut it (no pun intended!). I use a mixture of half pure castor oil and half pure sunflower oil that I mix myself. I apply it to my face and massage all over for at least 1-2 minutes, then remove with a warm washcloth and lots of water. If it's winter, or I just feel dry (from Retin A and other product use) I may call it good, and then apply nighttime moisturizer. Otherwise, then I wash with Glytone mild gel wash (another staple) and THEN apply just nighttime moisturizer or mix it with Retin A (3-5 nights per week) which keeps my skin bright and exfoliated, but not parched and dry. Sounds like a tedious amount of hassle, I know, but I have smooth, clear skin with practically no issues. All in all - I think this is an awesome product. It just takes a willingness to experiment to see what methods of application ( and most importantly, REMOVAL) work best for you. I've tried lots of different ones, and I mostly prefer department store brands, so this one is a happy departure for me. It may seem expensive for a drugstore item but really, come on! Compared to Smashbox? Which is probably the most hyped (overhyped?) primer out there. Compared to pretty much any department store brand? I really, REALLY like this - try it, you might, too.
Oh and BTW - you're damn skippy, I'll be buying this again!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2012 5:06:00 PM More reviews by RachelisGreen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have got to say that this primer truly impresses me, especially for a drugstore primer. It's soft, velvety, it feels like silicone but doesn't break me out, it fills in my pores, really helps smooth out any dry skin I have so my foundation doesn't enhance it, and overall helps the complexion of my face. It tones down redness, and really makes my skin feel like velvet. It definitely prolongs my foundation (I already wear a long wearing foundation) and it makes it look more natural cause it def makes my pores smaller.I've purchased this 4 times already. I'm currently finishing up my Sheer Cover Primer but when that's done I'm def buying this again. Just be careful because if you put too much it kind of like crumbles off? I don't know it's hard to explain, a little goes a long way. I find that patting it in instead of straight rubbing helps prevent that.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2012 4:02:00 PM More reviews by MasksOffMasksOn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Overall I think it's a great product for it's value. I use primers to fill my pores. They are kinda big, and honestly I didn't find any primer that actually could make them disappear. I've tried so many primers, including Smashbox, Too Faced, Clarins- I must say: They all do Pretty much the same job. So why paying so much money for a primer? That is why I recommend using L'oreal's- if they all give the same effect, than why not going for the one which costs less?
This primer has a creamy-silicony texture, it spreads easily and smoothly, fills my pores nicely (but not perfectly), and makes a great foundation base.
I didn't LOVE the jar, for I prefer products in tubes.
I would definitely buy this again!