July 22, 2014 | 2359 users online

Primer/ Corrector - L'Oreal - Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2012 6:28:00 PM More reviews by Wisteria005

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Never been a primer person, but when I heard some great reviews about this one, I decided to give it a go. I wear either tinted moisturizer or BB cream instead of a normal foundation, both of which are known for their less then amazing staying power!

I really like this primer, it has a nice texture and you don't need a huge amount. It makes my skin super soft and silky looking, mostly due to it's whipped texture. It keeps to it's purpose as a primer, and I've noticed that my makeup lasts pretty much all day! (Within reason).

The only reason I've given it 4/5 lipsticks is because since I have combination skin, it tends to make my dry patches way more noticeable, which means I've got to slather on more of my facial moisturizer first.

Hope this helped!
Cheyenne

rated 1 of 5 on 12/3/2012 1:32:00 PM More reviews by SamanthaMD12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

HORRIBLE! Made me break out on my chin. A large underskin zit that burns horribly. Worse thing I've experienced. BAD Ingredients. DON'T USE!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2012 11:56:00 AM More reviews by Msjeanara

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The best primer ever! I absolutely love the texture. Goes on smoothly. Only need to use a dab. One jar lasts months and I use it nearly every day. I don't wear foundation, I just use this! It keeps my oily skin under control.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2012 7:58:00 PM More reviews by GlamDivaAshlei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I been using this primer for about 2 yrs now & it's one of my favorites, it fill my pores and make my foundation go on smooth and pretty!!! I use the maybeline bbm & a little of this and my make up setting spray and boy oh boy my make up last a life time lol.. but if I only use this it still last a long time, Loreal really impressed me with this one.. yess I will continue to use this product. the price is a little too much for the small for the packaging pot & it doesn't last that long but It's a must have for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2012 3:22:00 AM More reviews by laurasteph24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

heard alot about this so i was pretty excited but honestly i hate the texture it all sticks together. its really smooth though but id just prefer a more liquid face primer like the BH Cosmetics one...also such a small container only half an ounce for the price...it made my dry spots even more dry and it did not help my foundation at all it made it look dry and patchy, i did keep it because it actually works well for under the eyes before applying concealer so it wont get into the fine lines but thats pretty much about it

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2012 9:28:00 AM More reviews by zapster18

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is actually a very good product if you've got the time and inclination to achieve a perfect base. Application is time consuming and can be tricky. You need to (i) pat a small amount on whichever areas you want to perfect and then (ii) apply pressure when dab-swiping the product across those areas. It's not going to work if you just rub it on like a moisturizer or use feather strokes. You need to swipe it several times, like you would an iphone/ipad. It feels abit oily when you're putting it on but once it's set the finish is beautiful. It certainly masks small pores, not sure about spots. However, the reason why I won't be repurchasing this is because I think Too Faced's Primed and Poreless is much easier to use, doesn't feel oily, and the finish is just as good. You just slap it on and you're done. L'Oreal's Magic Base would be a great product if it was more user-friendly. Just thinking about the precision swiping always makes me reach for P&P or forego primer altogether. It's that exhausting.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2012 More reviews by eribear23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really found that this velvety smooth prouduct preps my skin for my make-up very well. In fact, it's the best primer I have used. I have tried many others and this is fantastic. The only complaint is that it's in a jar and when you get halfway done with this, you have to scoop your finger into the jar and the product gets under your nails. I think it's too thick of a product to put in a squeeze tube, but I hate the feeling of it getting under my nails. Other than that, this is perfect!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2012 3:58:00 PM More reviews by DollyPetra

I am not usually bitter about makeup unless it really messes up my skin. I used this product last night for the first time and I'm not even kidding, my skin broke out like crazy! My skin hasn't looked this bad in years. If you have acne prone skin, stay awayyyy from this product!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2012 6:28:00 PM More reviews by cotterb

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This stuff is great for my sensitive combination skin. I use a tiny amount of it daily to prevent shine on the apples of my cheeks and my chin. How you use it really is key to its effectiveness, I really MUST stress that, because I can see reports of pilling and needing to rub it in really hard, but if you use it GENTLY and IN MODERATION, all that can be avoided. (Sorry to use capitalization so obnoxiously, but hopefully it'll catch someone's eye!)

As everyone has observed, the packaging is just plain bad. However, because of this product's very dry, fine texture, I can imagine that if it were dispensed through a tube, reviewers' complains would instead be that that they couldn't get much of the product out of the container. Maybe an airless pump would be best, you know, where the product is forced out as the floor of the container is moved upward. Anyway - the packaging isn't all bad, because it is very sturdy.

And now - very important - USAGE! These are just my recommendations, based on my own trial and error (and reading a lot of reviews). 1. Use something other than your fingers to get the product out of the glass pot. It looks like a lot of people use a little scoop or spatula, but I use a cotton bud. This is easier than using your fingers (the product doesn't stick to mine), and if you're concerned about hygiene, it may bring you some peace of mind! 2. Pat it on, don't rub. For most people rubbing results in inflammation - redness and minor swelling - which is frustrating, especially if you have to fit your beauty routine into a tight morning or evening schedule. But further to that, this product simply doesn't 'rub in'. If you rub it, it will pill and look like facial dandruff. Hawt! On the other hand, patting it on really does work. Don't pat too lightly or too fast; press down slowly and gently. This way the product gets into pores and fine lines, and you can achieve that 'magic' smoothness. There may be random flecks of product left on your skin after applying it; no worries, you can either brush these away or pat them into your skin carefully. 3. Don't use too much! (I'm speaking to young women now, because I'm not sure how older skin would react to less product; maybe it wouldn't fill fine lines as well.) You only need a tiny bit of this product in order to keep a smooth, matte face!

Other stuff:
- it's unscented. Nice! I used That Gal by Benefit for a short while a few years ago and hated that its beautiful smell would spoil so quickly.
- my skin is acne-prone for about half of the month (due to hormonal cycle), and even at that time this primer doesn't break me out.
- one pot seems to last for ever, for me at least, so although the price seems outrageous at first, speaking in terms of how long it takes to use up a container, I think it's quite reasonable.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 2:08:00 PM More reviews by KiwiKatt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This primer really works for me in terms of keeping me matte. It doesn't correct every imperfection, but it does fill in my pores and smoothens my face. I barely have to blot my face where if I don't use it I have to blot every hour. Packaging I don't like, but it's the only way possible since the product has a mousse texture. Would buy it again.