July 31, 2014 | 1923 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2010 10:19:00 PM More reviews by bombasticclassic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow... I am just so impressed by how advanced skincare has gotten that we can have SPF50 in a POWDER! And a very, very decent powder at that. I am NC35 and Creamy Beige is absolutely perfect - so to the reviewer below who is NC35 and rated it down because Natural Beige didn't match, you should definitely try this shade! I'm surprised that this has SPF and has not broken me out once yet. But it is a pressed mineral powder, so I guess I shouldn't be so shocked. Great finish; matte but not too matte if you know what I mean. It does not feel like powder "chalky" on my face, nor does it feel like a sunscreen IMO. Oil does come through by about midday and I find myself reapplying at about 4 or 5pm. Do I mind though? Absolutely not, the only other powder that I find lasts that long is my Diorskin Forever compact. Which leads me to my next point - the finish and wear time of this powder really reminds me of Diorskin Forever powder. I've been pleased with my Diorskin powder for the last couple months, but wasn't sure if it the $46 price tag was worth it for a great, but not fantastic powder. Now that I've tried PF's SPF50 powder, I'm positive it isn't worth it. Not only are most aspects exactly the same (finish, wear time, longevity, doesn't break me out, portable etc), but this is a quarter of the price, AND it has SPF50. Once I use up my Diorskin Forever, I'm never looking back.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2010 10:08:00 AM More reviews by OmToast

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

After a full face sunscreen stoppage for several years (I find most of it irritating) I'm trying to be prudent about it, especially as I live in the southeastern US and have definitely noticed some sun damage, as well as a perpetually pink nose in the summer. I finally found a great SPF35 moisturizer I can use daily (Origins Brighter By Nature), but I am frequently in the position of needing to be outdoors for an extended period late in the day, by which time, I have noticed, I need a touchup. Figured powder would be perfect, and this was the only readily available one in my area. I'm pretty fair, so I nabbed the translucent light. My feelings are mixed.

1) it looks *great* on. Very minimal coverage (I did not want any), but just enough to even out my skin tone a bit. Not chalky or powdery, at all. Essentially invisible, but better.
    2) it does give me the slight sunscreen pinchiness that I so object to, but it does not seem to break me out.
    3) I'm not totally enamored with the feel. I played softball when I was a kid, and after lond days of tournament ball, I could not wait to get home and shower, yes, but specifically wash that nasty infield dust off of my face. This is not that bad, but although it doesn't look like a powder, it does definitely *feel* like a physical sunblock powder. Blecch. If I do not repurchase -- and I don't really know that I would -- it will likely be due to this.
    4) The compact is very cute, but $13.99 (Target) for a drugstore translucent powder is kind of steep. And the little pink blender sponge it comes with, while it applies the product decently (powder brush is better), is sort of gross to drag across your skin. Plus, as I use this primarily for late-day touchups if I have to be out for prolonged periods, I feel like it's just going to get really gross, really quickly, and I'd be replacing it with drugstore sponges. That I then have to carry around a travel powder brush is sort of irksome to me.
    5) Sun protection seems to work.

Like I said, mixed feelings. Works well, is not terribly objectionable, but just don't know if it's worth the price, in the end.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/17/2010 2:56:00 AM More reviews by annikarey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The powder is good in providing me coverage. I always reapply this every 40 minutes. The translucent light powder matches well with my skin tone. The powder does cause a bit of a mess when applying. The number one thing that causes problems for me is that the powder will leak out when I put it in my handbag or make-up bag. When you look at the compact closed, you will see gaps on the side. This is where the powder will leak from. I also wish there are more selections in shades. Four shades is not enough. Overall, the foundation is good thanks to the medium to full coverage. But the packaging needs improvement.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2010 3:19:00 PM More reviews by bzz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for a few months and am still on the fence about it. I bought it this summer because of the spf 50. I have a hard time finding spf products that do not break me out.. so far this one has not. I purchased this in Translucent light and have very fair skin. I am a 110 in MUFE HD for reference. At first I tried this as a foundation and found the powder to give a light to medium coverage that is buildable...drawbacks are that it does look powdery on the skin and does accent fine lines even when buffed in with a brush... forget the pink puff. It's scratchy and makes for cakey looking application. The color matched my skin tone very well but would look a bit chalky if applied to a medium coverage... definitely needed some blush to look like I was still alive. The spf does seem effective for every day wear. I did not go to the beach with it though as I am very fair and didn't chance that it would be waterproof. As, I mentioned before, this powder did not break me out which is great because I have sensitive/ combo skin that tends to be more oily on the nose in summer. However, by the middle of the day I looked like I had a oil slick on my face... not normal for me, even in the summer. This surprised me because my skin felt a bit dried out by the powder when I first applied it in the AM. There must be something in this product that causes some people's skin to over-produce oil. Despite the midday oilies, I continued using this all summer long. I would just blot and reapply to the worst areas and it was fine. Now I have reverted to just using this as a setting/ blotting powder until I find a better sunscreen soloution. I have found that using less makes for less oily looking skin by midday but it is still a bit more oily than usual with other powders.

EDIT: I will not buy this again...it did break me out after awhile. I have found that mineral makeups break me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2010 11:57:00 AM More reviews by ladydayholiday

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this foundation! The compact packaging quality is fantastic and I like the little pink sponge- it makes application really easy and cuts down on the fallout. I purchased it in the translucent light, which looks ghostly white in the pan, but matches my face when I put it on. I wear Buff in Revlon Colorstay and Light Ivory in L'Oreal Visible Lift Serum Absolute. I've noticed that all of Physician's Formula products tend to look light in the package but go on a few shades darker on the skin. It's medium coverage- it doesn't cover up my strawberry hemangioma scar as well as Colorstay does, but I typically use a concealer for it when I'm not using Colorstay anyway.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2010 2:29:00 PM More reviews by stephani99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

EDIT: months after my initial try and initial Epic Fail with this, I finally got it to work as well as the many glowing reviews claim it does. I was cleaning out my swap box and thought I should give it another try before parting ways permanently. After asking around, in which I expressed my problems (too dry, cakey, bad shade (Translucent Beige), I discovered the problem and the solution was a very simple one, to the point I had to smack myself in disbelief- - I was applying WAY too much in a manner that only made it worse. I was using the sponge, the one it came with, and when that didn't work, I had tried again with a different latex sponge. Once took MUA's advice to use a kabuki brush, I was amazed at the natural look, feel and length of wear I ended up with this product applied that way. It blended right in and looked like I was wearing nothing. No more cake-y, flaky line-enhancing mask-like look, no dry, tight feel, no making my dry/combo skin even more dry that it already was and no weird orange tones or darkening later in the day. I have to moisturize well first, as I do with all powder foundations due to my skin type (even the PF box directions recommend this for us dry gals). So less is definitely more with this and in the end it's deceiving how little you can apply and still call it foundation, once you do it right to begin with, unlike what I was doing at first. I don't know if I'm getting the full SPF 50 benefit using so little but otherwise, I'm now quite pleased with this cute orange compact and will be trying the liquid version next.

Suffice it to say, I had to delete my original scathingly bad review (sorry gals who said it was helpful, but give it another try with a kabuki brush if you had the same issues I did) because not only does this work as well as MUA and another makeup blog or two said, I had none of the issues I previously experienced, not realizing it was me and not the foundation itself. I simply had to change years of programming that "pressed powder foundations always require application with a sponge" because this is not the case. Thanks PF and I'm sorry MUA.... I will never doubt your wisdom again, or at least, I won't be as quick to judge until I exhaust ALL the options. *hangs head in shame* I still think it's a little pricey for drugstore, but it seems all ds makeup is undergoing a change to higher quality along with higher prices, and this brand does go on sale quite a bit. This also needs a much wider shade range so it still only gets a 4, but that's still a huge improvement from my original 1 rating and "no I wouldn't touch it again if you paid me to buy it" because in fact, I have repurchased, twice :)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2010 8:03:00 PM More reviews by adara260

I recently purchased this powder foundation in natural beige. I bought this because I was attracted to the SPF 50.

The foundation shade matches my skin alright. I have about NC20ish skin. The formula is creamy and not dry in the least. It has a satiny matte finish due to the mica content. I felt it controlled my oily skin for about 3-4 hours which is normal range for me. The coverage was very good. It evened out my skin tone without being cakey. I would use a concealer with this though because I don't want to layer on too much of this foundation. But if you don't have acne scars and other skin discolorations then you might not need anything additional.

The packaging is great because there is a separate compartment for the sponge from the powder. The sponge is awesome. It's high quality, soft and picks the product up well. I've already washed it and it lasted!

The only downside is that you don't get a ton of product for the price. I got this for 10 dollars because the product had a coupon on it. Otherwise at target it was 13 dollars. That is the only downside I've found so far. Will update if anything changes.

UPDATE: The oil control factor really is not that great after all. I have oily skin and I wear chemical sunscreens (which are inevitably greasy) so its an uphill battle! I don't think people without these problems should discount this though. This is still not cakey in the least and I put on a lot tonight!

UPDATE#2: I've decided to search for a better powder to see if I can find one that doesn't have such a teenie bopper look (bright orange case) and that leaves a more matte finish (this product does have mica).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2010 5:03:00 PM More reviews by sweetshiningstar

Just okay. Color ranges are too limited. Can't use it wet like with my Laura Mercier. Just use it as a finishing powder for spf protection.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2010 4:49:00 PM More reviews by anisola

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried every powder foundation. I switch between this a bare minerals, but i think once i run out I will continue to buy this as long as they make it. This has not caused me to break out whatsoever, as i have sensitive skin. Added benefits for spf and the natural ingredients. I would recommend!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2010 2:35:00 AM More reviews by RayvnNA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For the record, I am NC35 in MAC or medium warm yellow/olive undertones. I got this in Natural Beige as Creamy Beige looked a bit too pink. I don't know if Translucent would've been a better choice, but Natural Beige is way too pale. This looks very chalky on me. But more importantly, it seems very flat on my face. I do not really care for this as a powder foundation. It does absolutely nothing to help control my oil. My oily skin just powers through this stuff. As far as coverage I think most good mineral makeup lines do much better. I don't really trust powder foundations for SPF coverage so that doesn't factor in. For the price I think you can do better. And the packaging is really ugly.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No