October 25, 2014 | 1464 users online

Eye Primer - BeneFit Cosmetics - Stay Don't Stray

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2012 9:00:00 AM More reviews by ColdFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product, but I only use it as a concealer and not an eyeshadow primer (that's what UDPP is for, in my case). I dot it under my eyes and it makes a wonderful, lightweight concealer for dark circles (admittedly they're not terrible circles, just enough that I want to cover them up). I've also used it to cover up small pimples. I do have to set it with powder, or it will crease, but once it's set, it will not budge at all. It's the best concealer I've used for under my eyes.
The doe foot applicator of the sample size is perfect, so if you have issues with the pump that comes with the full size, you can buy samples off Amazon. I used up a sample of this in a few months, using it every day, so it lasts a good while.
I'd buy this again and recommend it to people who want a base for their existing concealer, or those who want a lightweight, medium-coverage liquid concealer.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2012 6:00:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Benefit's Stay Don't Stray is a dual action eye primer that works "360 around the eyes to make concealers and eyeshadows stay put. Concealers don't crease, eyeshadows stay vibrant and true..you'll wonder how you ever lived without it". This all over eye primer comes in a "neutral nude shade that is universally flattering". The formula contains good stuff like Vitamins C&E t combat signs of aging and sodium hyaluronate to hydrate and fill fine lines. I got a very tiny 2.5ml (.08 fl oz) sample in the Ulta-Mate Sexy Six kit. The full sized 10ml (.33 fl oz) retails for a very pricey $26. That's a pretty big price tag for an eyeshadow primer, even by high end standards. For reference, Too Faced Shadow Insurance sells for $18, Urban Decay's Primer Potion goes for $20, and Nars Smudge Proof is $24. Talk about over priced. This was actually the product I was least excited to try out of the six included in the value pack, just because I'm already pleased with the two eyeshadow primers I have. Benefit does not test on animals and offers a lot of information on their animal testing policy on their website. This eyeshadow primer was made in Canada. Benefit products can be bought online at the brand's website, in Sephora and Ulta and their respective websites, and at department store cosmetic counters.
This little sample is so cute. It's like American Girl sized, barely two inches tall! The beige plastic tube has the word "Stay" printed all over it. I actually didn't notice that until I was really examining the product for review, I'd previously thought it was just a weird splotchy print. Oops. On the front of this tiny tube is the name of the product and the Benefit logo, in black. Some directions and company info can be found on the back of the tube in English and Spanish. Twisting off the little black cap reveals a small doe foot applicator, no different from that one that's included with most eye primers. The full size of Stay Don't Stray has entirely different packaging. For one it has an "airless pump that's sooo easy to use". I don't think the additional o's were necessary, Benefit. It's just a pump, settle down. The full size also has a little diagram on the front showing where to apply Stay Don't Stay. Meh, I'm find with the doe foot applicator, eye primers don't need to have cute packaging in my opinion.
Stay Don't Stay is a light, neutral beige primer. It blends out effortlessly, resulting in an opaque but nearly colorless finish. There is enough coverage to cancel out any veins you may have on your eyelid, but it's not enough to work as an under eye concealer, just as a primer for one. I don't think this primer actually fills under eye fine lines, not that I really have any. Benefit suggests applying six dots of this product, three on the eyelid, three on the under eye, and really that's exactly how much product you need.
I honestly can't give very much insight on how this product works as a primer for under eye concealing. I never have issues with the wear of my concealer in that area. Benefit's primer doesn't harm or enhance my concealers wear or application. Stay Don't Stray is a decent eyeshadow primer if you have drier lids. It causes shadows to go on smoothly and best of all it really enhances the color of any eyeshadow applied over it. Unfortunately Stay Don't Stray doesn't really prevent creasing. Technically Benefit doesn't claim that it will, but as and eyeshadow primer, it should. Without a primer, eyeshadow tends to crease on me after roughly 4 hours, with Stay Don't Stray I get about six creaseless hours. Oh, one bonus? That extra color intensity lasts all day, there's little to no fading when I use this primer.
Sorry Benefit, I think I'm going to stick to ELF's Eyelid Primer and save myself $25. I don't think Benefit's concealer/eyeshadow primer is effective enough to justify the very high price tag. Even Nars' primer is cheaper, which is kinda ridiculous. I love the way it intensifies the color of shadows, but it isn't very effective at preventing creasing as I need it to be. I also don't require it's concealer priming. Packaging is cute, mainly because it's so itsy bitsy. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this little primer sample or swap it away. I'll likely finish it off. Its not a bad primer, it's just not that great either. I don't recommend Benefit's Stay Don't Stray primer, there are much more affordable, better quality eye primers on the market from drugstore and high end brands.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 10:14:00 AM More reviews by cleogirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

While this product did create an even base and did make my eyeshadow pop, it did crease within a few hours. I'm not saying that it's total crap as I do have very oily skin and can see this working on someone who doesn't have problems with eyeshadow creasing. But for me this did not work and am happy I tried a sample before purchasing as it is expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2012 4:28:00 PM More reviews by Jkovar

I've been using this product on the regular for about a year now. The tube runs out and I run to the store for another. So many people are complaining about the pump squirting out too much product.. Here's my suggestion: FIGURE IT OUT. Don't push the entire way down, push/tap gently.. it's not that hard. Once you have that down you'll only be using what you need and that will bring you the results you're hoping for. Not only do I use this for its intentional purpose (eyelid/under-eye primer) but it's the perfect blemish concealer. Maybe I'm just lucky that the tint of this product matches my exact skin tone, but it covers any imperfections flawlessly without a thick caky finish that I sometimes see with Mac concealers. It's so light on my skin and blends right in covering imperfections while looking natural. PLUS it doesn't break me out. ummm love?

rated 1 of 5 on 9/5/2012 1:37:00 PM More reviews by Regy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I wish I could select 'hell no' in the 'Would you buy this product again?' box.Not only isn't it anything special, but it also leaves an oily residue,once you've had it on for a couple of hours, even when well powdered.I've never before come across a primer that needs to be primed before put on.Also the tube-packaging of the product gets all messy and after a few uses it gets stuck.It was an absolute waste of money.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/3/2012 1:57:00 PM More reviews by GreenGables

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a decent primer but t can't touch Urban Decay Primer Potion. It keeps shadow in place a lot longer than without primer but it's just kind of a ho hum product. I wouldn't discourage someone from purchasing it but I would recommend others first.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/3/2012 2:08:00 AM More reviews by gaiLyghia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

- Its good to use under the eyes before setting a concealer

- The water/liquid seperates from the primer itself even though I use it everyday, which makes the product hard to use

- I don't like the pump of the bottle because it doesnt give an accurate amount that I need which makes the pump looks dirty everytime!!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2012 1:33:00 AM More reviews by Sjez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product was such a pleasant surprise! I wasn't expecting much, but I liked the free deluxe sample that I received, although I think urban decay primer potion still reigns supreme in my book.

Pros: Sets quickly. I like the sponge tip applicator much better than my squeeze tube of Shadow Insurance. Keeps eyeshadow in place really well, and doesn't let it crease. Has a slight brightening effect on my tan skin.

Cons: Smells extremely chemical. Darker skinned people may not like the color. Since it contains color, it can crease if you apply it too thick. I've heard the full size comes with a pump that over dispenses product. It is on the expensive side for compared to other h/e primers.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2012 4:06:00 PM More reviews by supafob

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this after trying Urban Decay's eye primer potion (the original), which IMO has amazing staying power and really "pops" your eyeshadow color. So every primer I try will be compared against UD.

LIKES
- Doubles as under-eye concealer & eye primer
- small, normal cylindrical size of container
- matte color & feel, no shines or sparkles added

DISLIKES
- pump product to use - I always pump out too much & end up wasting the product
- if I don't use this regularly, I find I have to make sure I shake the container well before I pump. Somehow, the product's water/liquid separates so on my first pump, a lot of water-like liquid comes out instead of the actual primer.
- if you don't wipe after every use, the container+cap gets really messy.

Staying Power: average
My Price: $26/unit, + 20% off Sephora discount sale
Buy again? probably not...still hunting for others

rated 3 of 5 on 8/18/2012 12:59:00 AM More reviews by GypsyRose23

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

A salesperson handed me a very small sample of this product while I was shopping in Macy's last week. I finally tried it out today. I didn't like it much at first because it seemed hard to blend. I think it was because the sample came on a card in a peel-away plastic sleeve (that's why package quality only got a 1). The product had separated somewhat into part oil and part sticky paste. It took some time to reblend the ingredients, and then it spread a bit better, but not much. I'm not really wild about pulling on the delicate eye area, but I figured I'd do my best for this one trial.

I put the product on my eyelids and under my eyes to prime for both e/s and my dark circle corrector (BB). I liked the matte finish of the primer alone on my eyelids, and it worked as a bit of a concealer in itself for my skin tone (fair). It could be useful for those days when I'm too lazy to use e/s and corrector, but I'm sure anyone with a darker skin tone wouldn't find it useful by itself.

I applied my BB corrector and it went on smoothly enough under my eyes. Then I applied my cheap drugstore brand eyeshadow (Jane) that I love for its matte finish. That went on much easier than usual for me. The color was darker and richer than it is when I use it without a primer, and I didn't have to use as much to achieve this effect. I started liking this product at that point.

I checked my eyes regularly throughout this swelteringly hot day, and to my amazement, everything really did STAY and didn't STRAY. There was no creasing on my lids or underneath my eyes. Typically, even the BB corrector goes astray under these conditions, but I was really impressed that the cheap e/s lasted all day.

I couldn't give this product more than 3 lippies due to the difficult application process (and the price!), but I'd give its results a definite 10. I should mention that my eyelids are not particularly oily, and it might not work as well for someone with oily lids or under eye area.

Until I find something that applies easier and achieves the same results, I would buy this product in spite of its price of an arm and half a leg.