September 30, 2014 | 1623 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by mibrown18

I dust this over my face after applying my face makeup. It gives me a matte finish.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2013 11:16:00 PM More reviews by llwilso

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I actually really liked this product. I didn't think I was going to but since its cheap I have it a try. It really does a pretty good job with controlling my oily skin throughout the day. I only apply it in the morning and by the end of my work day my skin is much less greasy looking. My only dislike is that the packaging is not that great and it is a little messy. Other than that, not a bad product at all. Well worth the price paid for it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 1:22:00 AM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

For my oily male skin, this powder has become A MUST.
The Corrective Yellow shade works better if you have yellow undertones or have redness you need to neutralize. Don't be too quick to put it aside before finding the appropriate technique and a suitable brush. When applied right on top of my moisturizer it settled into pores and caked under my eyes. It was even worse during the summer time.

First, if your skin is oily this will not replace a mattifying powder. My makeup use doesn't include foundation or concealer. I simply apply moisturizer, let it dry, then apply some talc powder to remove shine. After my matte blush and bronzer I finish up with this to hold them in place and add a soft focus effect. The talc powder also prevents this from being over-applied. The HD silica bind in-between the talc, filling up the spaces and looking very natural. While I'm not sure about its oil absorption abilities, it certainly delays the appearance of shine. The blotting paper will still absorb the usual amount, but I don't have to blot as much.

You do need a good brush. I use the Body Shop Slanted Kabuki and it's great, but any other dense fluffy brush would work just fine. Some people recommend cutting the plastic partially. Instead, I simply block the whole surface with the brush, turn it upside down, side to side, then back up. Then I swirl the brush against the sides of the sifter to distribute the product. It helps if the bristles are dark because you can see if the powder is not evenly distributed on the brush.

I heard that the original MUFE powder is more finely milled and I might give it a try. But honestly I haven't felt the need to so far, and I actually prefer the packaging of the ELF one. The sifter area is deep and large I can nicely fit my large kabuki. The shape of the container is very chic in my opinion and happens to resemble a few CHANEL products ;P. NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder might indeed be of better quality but comes only in white.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 12:34:00 PM More reviews by reneelabelle

I have tried many of these translucent powders and find this to be just as good or better than the most expensive, like Makeup Forever brand. Less is more and buffing well with a kabuki brush is important but it truly blurs fine lines and gives a beautiful soft natural finish. Love this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2013 11:26:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

E.L.F.'s Studio High Definition Powder is absolutely one of their best products. I could not believe how much I would fall in love with this white powder. According to the back of the box, it "creates a soft focus, masks fine lines, and makes you camera-ready". Well, believe it all. And believe it for 6 bucks.
The container is the black heavy plastic box that has a screw-on top. It sits nicely on any vanity. Once you take the top off, there is a little powder puff that you can use, but I would recommend E.L.F.'s better Kabuki Brush to buff this powder in after application. The top of the powder contains a plastic top similar to a sifter, where you just have to be careful in allowing so much to come out. Eventually you get the hang of it.
I use the puff to first apply it to my finished face. Yes, I look ghostly when I do this. And I am as fair as Snow White. Then I take my Kabuki and begin to buff the powder into my face. It gives my face a delightful matte finish with a radiance, but very little glow that I find very appealing and natural. It lasts for hours. I don't look like I have powder on at all. As a matter of fact, the white chalkiness is gone, the ghost look has disappeared, and suddenly, my makeup is completed with a professional look. All in minutes for a few dollars.
The powder feels like silk. It's soft. It's not drying at all. It doesn't settle into any fine lines. It doesn't highlight any lines, either. Years ago, Clinique had offered a similar powder to this one and i used it faithfully. I've never found another one that I've liked until I tried this one.
What's amazing about it is that it won't cover up your other make-up or change the color of your skin/make-up/eye make-up, etc., which is what you want. You want a flawless finish powder to set your make-up, not cover it. And that's what this does. I've been using this for over two months now without any problems and there's so much still in the container I expect it to last at least half a year.
Well worth the price. I even took a small amount and put it into another tiny sifter container I had from another brand for my makeup bag for touchups, should I need them. I love the way this powder feels on my skin with its light composition, its texture, the pigmentation is just right and there is absolutely no smell at all.
Another great way to use it is when I am not wearing any type of foundation/BB cream/tinted moisturizer but I want to rid my face of the shine from my moisturizer when I go out on my errands. I use the same technique as above, and the shine is gone and I still have that little glow. I just add some lipstick, and now I have a natural look for the day. I really do love this powder. It's lasting quite some time for me and a little goes a long, long way.
Just a great product from E.L.F.'s better line of products.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2013 2:24:00 AM More reviews by timothybcat

This quality of this powder is stellar! I hate to use powders because I can't stand the look of the super-matte skin, especially as I'm fair-skinned and think it just makes me look artificial in a weird porcelain-doll way. I have combo skin with an oily t-zone, and sweat like crazy at the slightest hint of humidity, so I absolutely have to set my foundation when it starts to get warm outside. I've been compromising by only powdering my t-zone, but most powders are still too heavy.

Be careful when you open the product for the first time. I took the advice of the previous reviewers, and instead of completely peeling off the clear sticker that covers the holes in the sifter, left it intact and used a pin to poke holes little by little until it dispensed the amount I was happy with into the lid. I'd say I only use about half the holes. Any more and it would probably make a mess and waste a lot of product. The jar itself is a little clunky but you do get a lot of product. I've had mine for about a year and don't even know if I've used half.

Every "translucent" powder I had ever tried before looked flesh-toned in the pan/jar, but chalky on the skin. This is the opposite. It appears white, but goes on with no color at all. You never see "powder," and it doesn't make my skin appear flat and lifeless like most powders. I've used several different brushes: EcoTools Blush brush, ELF Powder Brush, one or two different Sigma brushes and the result is always consistent.

I do wish the light mattifying effect lasted a bit longer (about an hour in humidity) but that applies to any powder. I'm taking off a star for that and half a star for the chunky, awkward jar. But the powder inside is a rock star.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 10:43:00 PM More reviews by wendycoco

Didn't love this which made me sad. I found it left a white cast on my face and I'm super fair to begin with so I don't need to be any lighter. I also found it accentuated my pores and didn't help with controlling oil. I also find the packing not the greatest it's very awkward and boxy. It was super cheap so I don't regret the purchase even if I don't use it up.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2013 2:13:00 PM More reviews by WynterOlly

This product is amazing. Best powder ever. Dirt cheap. High quality. I've worked with the 50 dollar Makeup Forever HD powder and that's not as good as this little $6 guy. It lasts a long time, about four months. I bought two because it also works great as a dry shampoo for second-day hair; just pat/ sprinkle it on and bush through.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2013 4:44:00 AM More reviews by nattiekins05

elf studio high definition powder is one of those products that totally blows you away with how well it works, and the mis-matching price tag... They could sell it for double what I paid, and I would still buy it again. Anyway, I use this powder to set my makeup. This is absolutley not a product where you'll see a big difference after applying it, however it does exactly what its supposed to do and performs beautifully. HD powders help to give a smooth air brushed look, absorbs oil and helps to hide fine lines (and by fine lines, i mean two things- fine lines with your skin and fine lines from your makeup, if you didnt blend as well as you could have). I would suggest to those who are new to this product, not to use the puff that comes with this to apply the powder! Rather, I use either a fan brush or a big bronzing brush for a light application that works super well for me. Remember when applying this, that you don't need a lot. Its very comparable to that of mineral powder makeup, which you either love or hate. This powder is very finely milled so it's excellent quality but on the other hand, you need to be very careful when opening the lid of this product, as the powder tends to go everywhere. For those who love high end makeup, and love shopping at Sephora- this brand is very comparable to the HD powder from Makeup Forever but it is much much more affordable. MUF is $32 for 9.9 grams and ELF is $5 for 8 grams- and you can always find a sale or promo code for the ELF website. The ELF HD powder comes in a couple of different shades - translucent, shimmer & a corrective yellow. I have the translucent and the corrective yellow. Both of them work very well, and depending upon the tone of my skin that day, will depend on which color I use. I tried the tester for the shimmer, and I didnt care for it at all. I was expecting something beautiful that would give your skin that dewy glow that all of us women desire to have. Instead, it should be called 'glittery' because I didnt see a shimmer, I saw glitter in powder form, something that I would use in junior high. I dipped my finger in the powder and it looked like a disco ball- a look that I have no desire to achieve. One thing to add before I forget... DO NOT use this powder if you will be in flash photography (any professional pictures). If you apply this before any kind of photos are taken, it will give your skin a white cast in the pictures, instead of an HD airbrush finish that we look for with this product. Overall, this powder is very solid and I recommend it to any woman who loves the look of high end makeup, with a small price tag to go with it. I also recommend that women who are dark skinned (very tan or mixed) try this product out before buying it. It worked like magic for me in the winter, but towards the end of the summer after I got a nice deep tan, the translucent powder wasnt so translucent anymore, and looked agood little off- so keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to try!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 10:42:00 PM More reviews by etain_anders

HOLY CRAP, THIS STUFF IS AMAZING!

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. I've had combo/super-oily skin since I was a teenager. Primers don't work. 'Matte' foundations slide right off my skin. I switched to mineral makeup just because it at least wouldn't actually break up from the oil on my face. The only thing that's ever made a difference are those Palladio oil-absorbing sheets--and I'd run through 2-3 of those a *day* trying to keep the oil at bay.

I can't even remember why I ordered this from elf, but I was stunned when I applied it and realized that not only does it actually make your skin look sort of 'soft focus,' but it also ABSORBS ALL OIL. Seriously, it won't last more than a few hours for me, but when I put this on my face, every bit of oil flat out disappears.

If you've got oily skin, this is a must-have. Even their irritatingly gigantic container is worth hauling around. This powder is that great.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No