July 30, 2014 | 1801 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2013 2:24:00 AM More reviews by timothybcat

This quality of this powder is stellar! I hate to use powders because I can't stand the look of the super-matte skin, especially as I'm fair-skinned and think it just makes me look artificial in a weird porcelain-doll way. I have combo skin with an oily t-zone, and sweat like crazy at the slightest hint of humidity, so I absolutely have to set my foundation when it starts to get warm outside. I've been compromising by only powdering my t-zone, but most powders are still too heavy.

Be careful when you open the product for the first time. I took the advice of the previous reviewers, and instead of completely peeling off the clear sticker that covers the holes in the sifter, left it intact and used a pin to poke holes little by little until it dispensed the amount I was happy with into the lid. I'd say I only use about half the holes. Any more and it would probably make a mess and waste a lot of product. The jar itself is a little clunky but you do get a lot of product. I've had mine for about a year and don't even know if I've used half.

Every "translucent" powder I had ever tried before looked flesh-toned in the pan/jar, but chalky on the skin. This is the opposite. It appears white, but goes on with no color at all. You never see "powder," and it doesn't make my skin appear flat and lifeless like most powders. I've used several different brushes: EcoTools Blush brush, ELF Powder Brush, one or two different Sigma brushes and the result is always consistent.

I do wish the light mattifying effect lasted a bit longer (about an hour in humidity) but that applies to any powder. I'm taking off a star for that and half a star for the chunky, awkward jar. But the powder inside is a rock star.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 10:43:00 PM More reviews by wendycoco

Didn't love this which made me sad. I found it left a white cast on my face and I'm super fair to begin with so I don't need to be any lighter. I also found it accentuated my pores and didn't help with controlling oil. I also find the packing not the greatest it's very awkward and boxy. It was super cheap so I don't regret the purchase even if I don't use it up.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2013 2:13:00 PM More reviews by WynterOlly

This product is amazing. Best powder ever. Dirt cheap. High quality. I've worked with the 50 dollar Makeup Forever HD powder and that's not as good as this little $6 guy. It lasts a long time, about four months. I bought two because it also works great as a dry shampoo for second-day hair; just pat/ sprinkle it on and bush through.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2013 4:44:00 AM More reviews by nattiekins05

elf studio high definition powder is one of those products that totally blows you away with how well it works, and the mis-matching price tag... They could sell it for double what I paid, and I would still buy it again. Anyway, I use this powder to set my makeup. This is absolutley not a product where you'll see a big difference after applying it, however it does exactly what its supposed to do and performs beautifully. HD powders help to give a smooth air brushed look, absorbs oil and helps to hide fine lines (and by fine lines, i mean two things- fine lines with your skin and fine lines from your makeup, if you didnt blend as well as you could have). I would suggest to those who are new to this product, not to use the puff that comes with this to apply the powder! Rather, I use either a fan brush or a big bronzing brush for a light application that works super well for me. Remember when applying this, that you don't need a lot. Its very comparable to that of mineral powder makeup, which you either love or hate. This powder is very finely milled so it's excellent quality but on the other hand, you need to be very careful when opening the lid of this product, as the powder tends to go everywhere. For those who love high end makeup, and love shopping at Sephora- this brand is very comparable to the HD powder from Makeup Forever but it is much much more affordable. MUF is $32 for 9.9 grams and ELF is $5 for 8 grams- and you can always find a sale or promo code for the ELF website. The ELF HD powder comes in a couple of different shades - translucent, shimmer & a corrective yellow. I have the translucent and the corrective yellow. Both of them work very well, and depending upon the tone of my skin that day, will depend on which color I use. I tried the tester for the shimmer, and I didnt care for it at all. I was expecting something beautiful that would give your skin that dewy glow that all of us women desire to have. Instead, it should be called 'glittery' because I didnt see a shimmer, I saw glitter in powder form, something that I would use in junior high. I dipped my finger in the powder and it looked like a disco ball- a look that I have no desire to achieve. One thing to add before I forget... DO NOT use this powder if you will be in flash photography (any professional pictures). If you apply this before any kind of photos are taken, it will give your skin a white cast in the pictures, instead of an HD airbrush finish that we look for with this product. Overall, this powder is very solid and I recommend it to any woman who loves the look of high end makeup, with a small price tag to go with it. I also recommend that women who are dark skinned (very tan or mixed) try this product out before buying it. It worked like magic for me in the winter, but towards the end of the summer after I got a nice deep tan, the translucent powder wasnt so translucent anymore, and looked agood little off- so keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to try!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 10:42:00 PM More reviews by etain_anders

HOLY CRAP, THIS STUFF IS AMAZING!

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. I've had combo/super-oily skin since I was a teenager. Primers don't work. 'Matte' foundations slide right off my skin. I switched to mineral makeup just because it at least wouldn't actually break up from the oil on my face. The only thing that's ever made a difference are those Palladio oil-absorbing sheets--and I'd run through 2-3 of those a *day* trying to keep the oil at bay.

I can't even remember why I ordered this from elf, but I was stunned when I applied it and realized that not only does it actually make your skin look sort of 'soft focus,' but it also ABSORBS ALL OIL. Seriously, it won't last more than a few hours for me, but when I put this on my face, every bit of oil flat out disappears.

If you've got oily skin, this is a must-have. Even their irritatingly gigantic container is worth hauling around. This powder is that great.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2013 1:02:00 AM More reviews by LaB3llaxox

I love it. And the price is amazing. Will definitely buy it again. Ive been using for maybe 6 months and I don't think Im changing it unless I find something better for almost the same price, which I don't think so! ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2013 8:41:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

I hate to admit I'd been using too much of this until I realised it is NOT a setting powder; you have to apply it very sparingly over foundation and powder and I find it helps to spritz it afterwards very lightly with setting spray. That way imperfections are blurred, there's no white cast in photos and it's not in the least bit drying. I wish ELF would improve the container so it doesn't spill everywhere but at the price I can't really complain too much. I love this so much I have five spares (I'm not kidding)!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2013 8:39:00 AM More reviews by Mands783

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

L-O-V-E this loose powder! Finishes me off without leaving me looking cakey. Just a tad sets my makeup beautifully. I've tried other "translucent" powders that seemed to deposit some color regardless of the product claims but this doesn't whatsoever.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2013 3:41:00 AM More reviews by Nola504

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This may have been stated before but I came across a wonderful way to use this powder to control oil in my t zone.
Before my liquid foundation, I take a small mineral powder brush and apply this powder to mainly my t zone. I then apply my foundation as usual. I have also applied it as a finishing powder if my skin is extra oily.
I will still have slight oil break thru but it is not as nearly as bad if I had not used it. I'm sure other, more expensive, oil control products work better but this is good for an every day oil control method with a product that does not cost a lot.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2013 7:00:00 PM More reviews by roseroach

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been wanting to buy this powder. While I was shopping with my mother i saw it Burlington Coat Factory. So decide to buy not expecting much. Since i had read good and bad reviews on it. But man I was really happy that i did. I apply my foundation,concealer. I then set this with my Kabuki Brush. It set perfect with the brush.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No