July 28, 2014 | 1034 users online

Loose Powders - NARS - Loose Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2008 1:43:00 PM More reviews by cocopebenito

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this powder for more than 6 years and I recently decided to switch to other powders and let me tell you that it does not compare to the coverage and the look like I had with Nars loose powder in desert. It is the best powder ever!!! I do not need to use any type of liquid foundation nor do I need to use any type of concealer. It has covered my scars with no problem and also makes my pores appear smaller.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2008 4:11:00 PM More reviews by keahi

For a full-fledged makeup addict I've been surprisingly cheap and unimaginative when it comes to loose setting powders. Having used the same Clinique blended face powder for the last 5 or so years of my life I decided it was time for an upgrade. First thing I do is peruse the top picks here at MUA. I like most things NARS and have put quite a bit of dough into Francois' pocket over the last few years, and when I saw words like "airbrushed" and "flawless" in these reviews I was more than sold. Picked up Eden, which is a good match for my fair skin w/ yellow undertones. Must be a popular shade b/c Macy's and Sephora were both OOS and I had to brave the frightening SAs at Neimen Marcus for this. Still trying to decide if it was worth it. This stuff is quite nice, but airbrushed I am not. Perhaps I am beyond the powers of this humble powder. NARS, you have met your match. I'm not an oily person--I actually have dry to combo skin going on but no matter how much I try to surpress it, my forehead retains a certain "glow" that I don't find desireable. Other reviewers have attested to the oil controlling properties of this powder, but those aren't working on me either. I still have to blot several times a day. The powder is superbly finely milled. Sure, the packaging could use a bit of work--the design is very old-school. I don't mind it right now but will probably feel differently when it comes to traveling with it. All in all, this stuff is quality, and very nice, but it's not working the miracles I insanely thought it had the potential to. My life has not changed dramatically for the better since purchasing this. It's just a translucent powder, and an expensive one at that. I do like this, but when it's all gone, I will probably be on the prowl for the next best thing. Retails for $34 for 1.5oz

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2008 6:15:00 PM More reviews by ameyls

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have this powder in Flesh. The color is perfect for my skin (medium fair with reddish undertones), and it does give a beautiful, translucent effect. But I just can't get past the messy packaging. I have yet to find a way of using this product without spilling the powder all over the place, and the container is so bulky that I can't possibly travel with it. Even when I put it in a smaller container, it's still too messy. For the price, NARS should engineer a better system that takes care of these problems. I will likely not repurchase, but will enjoy (and clean up regularly) while I have it.

Edited to add: I bumped my review up from 3 stars to 4, since I've finally figured out how to keep the powder from spilling everywhere. You have to keep the mesh screen in the powder box and use the powder puff that comes with it. I'm much happier now, but the powder box itself is still way too bulky for travel.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/11/2008 10:11:00 PM More reviews by dreebb

Just bought it based on the reviews here and for the price i paid (48$ Canadian) im truly hoping for a miracle. I have the ocasional blemishes and some acne scars but veryyy slight so im hoping i can use this powder without and liquid foundation b/c summer is coming and the weather will only break me out im sure. But i read the ingredients and it ssays Talc as the first one (meaning the most ingredient) and then somewhere it said Corn Startch.. wtf am i putting on my face :S ill update for sure. let you kno if its really worth it. EDIT:
ya.. no. this is def. not what is seems to be for me. no oil control, and not airbrushed. =)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2008 8:32:00 PM More reviews by LaBellaLisa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HG! HG! HG!!!!!! Wow, this is product has totally changed the way my makeup looks. It is the perfect loose powder to set my foundation. It does not provide that much coverage, it's pretty sheer, but boy does it blend away the appearance of fine lines, pores and little blemishes. It makes my skin look like silk, and blends just like it too (I use my MAC 187). I can put on layer after layer of this stuff and it never looks caked on or powdery. It's the priciest I've ever paid for a loose powder, but it's worth every penny, imo... the container will last a looong time. I got this is Flesh, I have slight beige-yellow undertones and at first thought this would be too pinky for an NC25 like myself, but it's perfect... I tried the next shade which is Eden and it was way too dark and yellow for me. Go get this powder!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2008 10:02:00 PM More reviews by KiuKiu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

*Pictures Included*

How should I put this? I absolutely LOVE this powder. The powder is really finely milled and is matte, but not fake. It sets my makeup, does not dry out my dry cheeks and keeps the shine from my nose. It may seem pricey at first (I was contemplating using Everyday Minerals Foundation as a loose powder), but after comparing the price per gram, NARS is a lot cheaper! Also, I understand how people might think the packaging for this stuff is messy, but I've found a way to make it really neat! In the inside, there is an indent (see pic), so that is how the loose powder gets everywhere. It is also really stupid of NARS to make a puff that does not even fit inside the case! So what I did was I took the puff from my previous powder and just stuck it in the NARS case! At first, I thought the puff would make it so that the lid would not close properly, but I was wrong! Even though the puff was thicker than the indent in the container, I was able to put on the lid with surprising ease! So now, I get no mess! However, there is one thing that I found odd when I first bought this. When I opened it for the first time, inside was a net that was supported with a cardboard frame in addition to the regular plastic sifter with holes. I did not know what to do with the net, but I did not want to throw it away, so I just stuck it inside with the powder where it would not bother me but I still would not have to throw it away. As for the color, Beach is perfect for me. It is really yellow so it really blends into my Asian skin and it looks really natural. I think this might just be HG!

the lid:

the container:

the powder:
continued >>

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2008 11:55:00 PM More reviews by kimmy310

One of the best loose powders I've ever tried. Have been using it for about a year now. Great color match, doesn't make me breakout, super-fine A-grade powder that leaves a long-lasting smooth finish. I do not have to touch up all day.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2008 5:42:00 PM More reviews by Sweetmomma

Um so ya this powder is amazing! I use it over foundation and it sets it beautifully. I am amazed when I look in the mirror hours after applying it, it still looks flawless. I don't even need touch ups anymore. Glides on the skin effortless and gives a beautiful finish. Ladies, please try this loose powder because I promise you will love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2008 1:59:00 PM More reviews by KDRN

I tried NARS powder based on the reviews here at MUA. I've been using the NARS loose powder in Desert for over two weeks and am very pleased with the results. I normally wear concealer, foundation, and powder every day. Since I started using NARS, I found that I can skip the foundation and still have beautiful coverage. As others have stated the powder does seem to melt in the skin and I'm not left with that caked on makeup look. I've also noticed that my blush doesn't come out streaky when I use this powder.

The powder was a bit on the pricey side, but when you figure that I don't have to use foundation it makes up for it (I use MAC's Studio fix fluid which was setting me back about $25 a bottle).

Some have mentioned the packaging being messy, but since I don't travel with it I haven't had a problem. On the occasions that I want to take some with me, I transfer it into one of my old Everday Minerals containers and take a kabuki for touch ups.

Overall, I love this powder and will definitely repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2008 11:17:00 AM More reviews by almond_leaves

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

I started using this powder a couple months ago and here's what it does for me

-It gives me a soft ethereal airbrushed look

-The coverage is fantastic for me I even stopped using foundation

-Very blendable. No matter how much I apply it still looks like its not there. Never cakes. I use a face brush to apply it but the puff that comes with it is just as good. So go with whatever you prefer

-My face breaks out from almost anything, it did not break out with this powder

-It is messy, but it's a loose powder so I don't expect it to be neat

-I keep the mesh sifter on top of the plastic sifter which makes the amount picked up by my brush evened-out. So don't throw the mesh sifter, it'll save you time and product amount used per application!

My only problem is that it's so bulky I can't travel around with it so I use an empty face creme container for that. It is expensive, but I don't care cuz it does such an amazing job. Will repurchase definitely.