August 1, 2014 | 1937 users online

Eye Primer - E.L.F. - Mineral Eyeshadow Primer

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2011 2:03:00 AM More reviews by mandy_mann

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I will give this a qualified yes based in it's performance. It helps eye shadow stick to your lids and makes your look long wearing beautifully.

However, it gave me a dermatitis outbreak on my lids. If you don't get the same reaction, good for you. But it does perform well as a shadow base. I, myself, wont buy it again based on the reaction I had but I will still recommend it if you don't experience that problem.

If you do react the way I did, some OTC hydra cortisone carefully applied to your lids will clear it up in two days.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2011 6:59:00 PM More reviews by EvilyKyoko

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I liked the $1 ELF eyeshadow primer better. I feel this formula is a bit more runny and takes longer to settle before putting on eyeshadow. It's staying power wasn't too impressive either. But try the dollar one, its comparable to UDPP!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2011 12:31:00 PM More reviews by sara942

Don't let the $3 price tag deceive you; this is a great primer. I've tried the Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer but I think they're both comparable in results. Both make my eye shadows pop (even though the ELF primer dries rather sheer), both keep them crease free for ~6 hours, and both are creamy and easy to smooth onto the lids. My only complaint is that the wand is too short to scrape the product at the bottom of the tube. However, for the price, it doesn't really matter. I've never tried UDPP so I don't know how it compares but with how well this works for $3 I don't think I'll be looking elsewhere.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2011 7:06:00 AM More reviews by voidy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is amazing! WARNING: You really have to rub the product into your lids and wait a little bit for it to dry.
This works very well with the less pigmented shadows, like the E.L.F. quads, making them a bit more pigmented.
With this primer all my eyeshadows last over 12 hours! I would totally repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2011 2:29:00 AM More reviews by vvs9992003

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used UDPP for 2 years before running out one day and deciding to save some money by trying out this primer, which IIRC I got for 50% off. The tube is half the size of UDPP but for 1/10th the price I thought why not give it a try. Well I've been using this for nine months now (using the same tube at least 5 times a week) with eyeshadows ranging from $1 to $25 and have come to conclude that it just doesn't match the power of UDPP.

The texture and application feel is totally different from UDPP. This product has a LOT of slip to it and doesn't dry very quickly which means that it doesn't apply very evenly to the lid. It tends to apply patchy and accentuate dry spots. I find I have to do a lot more patting and spreading that I used to with UDPP.

The primer isn't totally sheer. I am NC30 and after this primer dries my eyelid area is noticeably lighter than before. whereas this might not be a big issue if I'm using eyeshadow all over my lid up to my brow bone, because I oftentimes like to use primer with just some liner to help the liner last, this product looks off. To make matters worse the peachy-nudey pigments tend to settle in the tiny lines of my eyelid skin leaving an uneven finish.

Because this primer dries to a less tacky finish than UDPP, blending eyeshadow is easier but it also means that there will be more fallout and the primer grips the eyeshadow less. This primer does increase vibrancy and improve application compared to without a primer.

Finally, I find that my eyeshadow does crease when using this primer. With UDPP I was even able to wear e/s for 18 hours (5 hours of which were a concert which involved mosh pits) with little fading and very very little creasing. With this however, I find that my eyeshadow tends to crease within 3 hours, though the vibrancy stays almost the same. Note though, that I do have oddly folded asian mono-but-not-lids that are more prone to e/s creasing than other eye shapes. BUT UDPP was able to solve this problem while ELF doesn't.

Overall I think that if you are trying to save money (which I was trying to do) ELF will do the trick but if you want truly long-lasting eye makeup spend the extra $15 and buy UDPP/TFSI/etc. After this tube runs out I will purchase go back to UDPP or try out TFSI.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2011 7:36:00 AM More reviews by KoreanJuliette

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I bought two of these online on one of elf's '50% off the whole site' sales. At first, I doubted the power of these primers, since they were so cheap. So I left it there for maybe.. 2 months?
The first time I used it was at one of Katy Perry's concerts. Since I wanted my color to be extra bold, I dampened the brush i was using and applied the eyeshadow around 12 noon, and went to a friend's house.
We arrived at the concert grounds at around 3pm, and from there, we started to walk EVERYWHERE. It was a hot day, and my eyes are EXTREMELY oily, so automatically, I thought I should reapply some of my makeup.
When I finally went to a nearby starbucks's restroom, I was surprised to see that nothing had budged, even with the eyeshadow that was applied onto my waterline.
At 8:00pm, the concert started.
I'm not one of those people who like to sit down and watch silently. I danced and jumped and sweated my butt off.
The concert ended up finishing at 11:30 pm, which meant 3 hours and 30 minutes of heavy dancing and sweating.
Now this time, I was almost SURE my eyeshadow was melting off my eyelids.
Could you imagine my shock when it STILL hadn't budged, and was almost as vibrant as the first time i applied it?

For the price, it's amazing. The packaging could use a little work, but you know, it's so cheap that you should just buy another one if you're running out.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2011 5:48:00 PM More reviews by MIchW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I can't believe how great this is for $1! My lids are quite oily but if I put a thin layer of this on under eye makeup, it stays on for at least 8 hours. The only reason I did not give this a five is that it's hard to scrape all the product out of the container and I don't like to waste anything even when it's so cheap!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2011 5:06:00 PM More reviews by Hussadee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the prime, however there are better primers to still try out. It's been great for me it lasts long even with 5 to 7 hours of labor at work, my makeup is still intact, however maybe I piled the product over my face primer that gave it more effect. So, I'm still trying out more 'til I find my HG, but this one is good for those who are on budget or for beginners. =]

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2011 3:17:00 AM More reviews by raggie92

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think it's a trial and error product for everyone. All products aren't meant to be suited for everyone. I like this primer because it really does dries fast and keep my eye make-up fresh. The only thing I didn't like is the packaging. The wand isn't longer enough to scrap out the product on the bottom and from the sides.

I had to melt the product down a little like how you save lipglosses to get a little more product.

It's definitely a good primer, but I don't know if UDPP can be skipped because of this primer. I haven't try UDPP before because I simply can't afford it yet, so I can't judge if this primer is any better than UDPP.

I would say this is a good product to try or invest in if you are in a tight budget and wants an eyeshadow primer to prime your lids. This works well for oily-lids. I don't have extremely oily lids, but this primer keeps my eyeshadow vibrant.

I would definitely repurchase it because it is a good product for a student.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2011 11:30:00 PM More reviews by kikirose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is not my favorite, on my darker complexion (nw45) it makes my shadows appear more faded, I have TFSI and mary kay eye primer and this is the lowest on the todem pole for me, it makes my shadows last a little more time but def not all day also the color on my complexion doesn't completely absorb into the skin it leaves a white cast which is why i guess it lightens up my shadows, but its just ok at best i wouldn't buy again