E.L.F. Mineral Eyeshadow Primer

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Isododecane, Cylopentasiloxane, Octyl Palmitate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Triacontanyl PVP, Propylene Carbonate, Titanium Dioxide, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163)

on 10/5/2011 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Excellent primer. Cheap, great packaging.

For a week now I've been using UDPP on my right eye and this ELF prime on the left.

The results are the same. When my UDPP runs out, I'll just buy ELF.

on 9/28/2011 6:12:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This really isn't a bad primer. I bought it with not really high hopes, but it surprised me. It kept my eyeshadow from creasing (most of the day, by night it was starting to let up) my shadow looked bright and it evened out my eyelid tone. It isn't as good as Urban Decay or Benefit but still for $1, it works pretty darn well. The formula is a little more watery than i would prefer, i feel the thicker creams work best, but again for $1 the performance is good.
Conclusion: I recommend to have in your collection as a back-up or to use on days where you are not wearing a full eye, that way your more expensive primers last longer and you don't have to shell out $25 as often. OR if you are just starting out with make-up or in general don't wear much eye make-up this is perfect.

on 9/28/2011 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I have used a few primers and this one is just fine for the money. Not the best and not the worst.
For $1 I am planning on picking up a few more next time I am at Target because I feel like it didn't last that long... about 30 applications or so... which again for the money is AWE$OME!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is not as good as UDPP but for $1 it is perfectly good. It does not make your eyeshadow pop like UDPP does but it does help your shadow wear longer without creasing. Over all for the price I do recomend.

on 9/28/2011 4:14:00 PM

When I discovered E.L.F did an eyelid primer, I couldn't wait to try it out especially as it's a lot cheaper than UDPP (which I LOVE!). However, I was a bit disappointed with this primer - I felt the consistency was quite watery and it took a lot longer than UDPP to 'settle' onto my eyelids. I also found that the colour of my eyeshadows didn't 'pop' in the same way that they do when I use UDPP and that I had to apply more eyeshadow to get the colour to show up, even with darker shades. I wouldn't compare this to UDPP as I think they are in completely different leagues, but the E.L.F primer did work - by the end of my working day I had no creasing and my eyeshadow was still in place. If you're looking for a cheap alternative to UDPP, then I would recommend giving this a go.

on 9/26/2011 2:03:00 AM

I will give this a qualified yes based in it's performance. It helps eye shadow stick to your lids and makes your look long wearing beautifully.

However, it gave me a dermatitis outbreak on my lids. If you don't get the same reaction, good for you. But it does perform well as a shadow base. I, myself, wont buy it again based on the reaction I had but I will still recommend it if you don't experience that problem.

If you do react the way I did, some OTC hydra cortisone carefully applied to your lids will clear it up in two days.

on 9/23/2011 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I liked the $1 ELF eyeshadow primer better. I feel this formula is a bit more runny and takes longer to settle before putting on eyeshadow. It's staying power wasn't too impressive either. But try the dollar one, its comparable to UDPP!

on 9/10/2011 12:31:00 PM

Don't let the $3 price tag deceive you; this is a great primer. I've tried the Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer but I think they're both comparable in results. Both make my eye shadows pop (even though the ELF primer dries rather sheer), both keep them crease free for ~6 hours, and both are creamy and easy to smooth onto the lids. My only complaint is that the wand is too short to scrape the product at the bottom of the tube. However, for the price, it doesn't really matter. I've never tried UDPP so I don't know how it compares but with how well this works for $3 I don't think I'll be looking elsewhere.

on 8/21/2011 7:06:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

This stuff is amazing! WARNING: You really have to rub the product into your lids and wait a little bit for it to dry.
This works very well with the less pigmented shadows, like the E.L.F. quads, making them a bit more pigmented.
With this primer all my eyeshadows last over 12 hours! I would totally repurchase.

on 8/20/2011 2:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used UDPP for 2 years before running out one day and deciding to save some money by trying out this primer, which IIRC I got for 50% off. The tube is half the size of UDPP but for 1/10th the price I thought why not give it a try. Well I've been using this for nine months now (using the same tube at least 5 times a week) with eyeshadows ranging from $1 to $25 and have come to conclude that it just doesn't match the power of UDPP.

The texture and application feel is totally different from UDPP. This product has a LOT of slip to it and doesn't dry very quickly which means that it doesn't apply very evenly to the lid. It tends to apply patchy and accentuate dry spots. I find I have to do a lot more patting and spreading that I used to with UDPP.

The primer isn't totally sheer. I am NC30 and after this primer dries my eyelid area is noticeably lighter than before. whereas this might not be a big issue if I'm using eyeshadow all over my lid up to my brow bone, because I oftentimes like to use primer with just some liner to help the liner last, this product looks off. To make matters worse the peachy-nudey pigments tend to settle in the tiny lines of my eyelid skin leaving an uneven finish.

Because this primer dries to a less tacky finish than UDPP, blending eyeshadow is easier but it also means that there will be more fallout and the primer grips the eyeshadow less. This primer does increase vibrancy and improve application compared to without a primer.

Finally, I find that my eyeshadow does crease when using this primer. With UDPP I was even able to wear e/s for 18 hours (5 hours of which were a concert which involved mosh pits) with little fading and very very little creasing. With this however, I find that my eyeshadow tends to crease within 3 hours, though the vibrancy stays almost the same. Note though, that I do have oddly folded asian mono-but-not-lids that are more prone to e/s creasing than other eye shapes. BUT UDPP was able to solve this problem while ELF doesn't.

Overall I think that if you are trying to save money (which I was trying to do) ELF will do the trick but if you want truly long-lasting eye makeup spend the extra $15 and buy UDPP/TFSI/etc. After this tube runs out I will purchase go back to UDPP or try out TFSI.