April 21, 2014 | 1199 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2007 5:10:00 PM More reviews by AnnaWhite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I contemplated whether or not I should have paid more money for a mineral makeup. But Jane Iredale's line is highly regarded. My shade was Warm Sienna... a good match. However, I didn't like the coverage and it was a bit too shiny. I had high hopes for this product, but it didn't work for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/13/2007 7:01:00 PM More reviews by Bitsyanne

I am so disappointed. I really wanted this to be my HG. My aesthetician recommended it and I was so excited to hear that it was the only makeup endorsed by plastic surgeons. But it does absolutely nothing for me. Doesn't cover well and makes my skin look pretty drab. The pamphlet shows a woman with a wicked case of rosacea wearing the base and she looks flawless. I don't see how they got that look with this base. Big disappointment. Messy, too.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2007 1:42:00 PM More reviews by ciaobella7

This is the best foundation product that I have ever used, and I have used them all! Literally! Got comments from a derm who complemented me on my skin and I mentioned Jane Iredale. It's the best and does NOT accentuate wrinkles, etc.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/13/2007 2:15:00 PM More reviews by seejanereview

Argh! I had such high hopes!

I had already decided before trying the product that THIS was gonna be my HG. Drat! No such luck. In fact it's probably the worst I've look with makeup on since the first time I went out to the roller skating rink wearing makeup at the ripe old age of 13. At least at that age I can blame it on inexperience - can't use that excuse now though.

The goods - Very silky in texture. Lots of colors to choose from - but that is also a negative as having too many choices is just as bad as too few choices sometimes. Felt light on my skin. Those that love this product - love it!

Now for the downers - It took much tinkering and rechecking & consulting to find the right shade (not an easy task I might add) & the shade still ended up being sorta kinda good - never was it a great match - but was the closest of any of the shades we tried & I don't have a wacky skin color - about as average a white girl as they come when it comes to skin color. The MU consulation had me repeatedly go outside and check the color to find the right shade (which was a great idea) BUT it's like 100 degrees right now plus with the heat index - it's about 117 degrees outside. So it was a task. You gotta get color matched - simply comparing a shade to your regular M.A.C. or whatever brand won't cut it. You will be disappointed. I pre-guessed my perfect shade from seeing the shades online - and man was I waaay off in real life!

In my area there are only a handful of plastic surgeon offices, dermatologist & very upscale day spas that carry her products. All these locations wanted me to schedule a "cosmetic consultation" first. Which was very similar to getting wrangled into having to hear about a time-share offer. Dragged on f-o-r-e-v-e-r! I actually scheduled said consults with the derm office & one of the day spa's. Both were long and taxing. Also both places pushed their services on me like a car dealer trying to talk me into buying undercoating for my car.

To note - both places came up with two very different "perfect" shades for me. Found that odd. I choose Amber - which is the closest of any of the shades.

Paid $38 dollars (got a discount coupon for giving them my email address). Of course I gave them the hotmail address I haven't checked/used in forever. Tad over my happy money limit. Without the discount it was cost $43 - 48 depending on which place I purchase at. Heard it's cheaper online though.

So, I apply the product the next morning & holy cow. What happened? I looked splotchy & sallow. It looked like the stuff adhered to certain areas of my face & sat on top of my skin in other areas emphasizing all those teeny tiny baby hairs on my face. Not good. On closer inspection - I discovered fine lines I never have seen before! Double not good! In hindsight - we only tried the product on my jaw bone area - a generally nice area on everyone & one of the last places to show lines, etc.

I tried re-blending - which ended up looking like I tried to hard. I tired adding a tad more to "fill in" the sparce areas - it looked exactly like I tried doing exactly that. I tried to buff off the stuff with a soft dry handtowel - that resulted in forcing the stuff into the little micro lines, grooves, etc - really making me look like I smoked for 40 years (no I've never smoked either). I tried to tidy up with applying a little BE Mineral Viel & told myself it's not that bad.

I then met my hubby for lunch and the odd look he gave me when I walked up to him instantly told me that I had not even remotely managed to "repair" how bad I looked. He squinted & looked at my face from different angles before he said "What happened?". Followed by "Whatever you got on your face makes you look like you put beige cake on your face". He wasen't being mean - I did ask what he thought.

Maybe on super smooth, completely hairless skin with no imperfections (dents, lines, ridges, acne scars, etc) who is perfectly color-matched - this may be ideal. For me it was a major disappointment.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2007 7:17:00 PM More reviews by Noseovertail

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

At first I was a bit offish about the whole mineral make up hype but after using JI I have fallen in love! Being that I'm a make up artist my main concern was color selection and quality. Even the shadows are amazing! This is definitely a working womans brand as the price tag is a little heavy. I use it as a foundation and concealer with the pure pressed based global shades as customized bronzers (maple is my favorite). I noticed that some reviewers have commented about a white or greyish cast but that only means the shade is a bit too light. It has amazing coverage and gives my skin the airbrushed look without looking too powdery. Looks awsome in natural light too. I apply it with a large powder brush in a "tapping" motion onto the skin, starting from the forehead and working my way down. It lasts all day and it's fairly water resistant. I have very oily acneic skin with some red scarring and I can get by nicely with no touch ups through out the day. Will repurchase if I end up blowing through the huge JI collection I've amassed!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/3/2007 11:39:00 AM More reviews by nllawn

I wanted to believe this was for me! I've continually tried to find a shade that worked for me. When I did find the right shade - Warm Siena - I was excited to test it and wear it throughout the day. The first thing I noticed was that I suddenly looked as if my skin texture has changed - oily in new places, dry in others. Also, the light kept reflecting oddly on my skin. The worst thing had to be that my pores were suddenly all visable - never before had a make up enhanced my pores.

I won't be trying again, and I won't buy this product. Love gloMinerals pressed base and liquid foundation,though!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2007 7:42:00 PM More reviews by ladybgn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The good thing about the loose powder is that it's versatlie: you can use it dry, wet or in your favorite sunscreen or moisturizer. I use this during the winter months, when I'm on the normal to dry side. I apply it with the chisel brush, which everyone recommended, even the reviews on MUA (they were right). It made all of the difference in the world. The BM brushes just weren't cuttin' it! It provides nice coverage and doesn't look cakey or disco ball shiny like other mineral makeups. It provides a nice, healthy-looking glow.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2007 6:15:00 AM More reviews by ILOVEDIOR

Thought this foundation was match made in heaven for few month. The color was perfect, the finish was nice... but one day, I started to break out in BAD cyst acnes all over my cheeks. Thought it had something to do with some of my skin care products or blush I was using, so I spend $$$$$$$ of money switching and changing.... because you know, I believed that mineral make-up was innocent and suppose to be pure. Little did I know, it was bismuth in the ingredient that was irritating my skin (thanks to MUA skin board)!!!! Tossed in the garbage, switched foundation, did asprin mask for few weeks and my skin is back to normal.

Don't believe the hype. Mineral make-up isn't as pure as they market. That bismuth
ingredient is EVIL and NOTHING close to being natural.

EDIT***: Since they have taken out the bismuth from ingredients, I decided to give another try and IT's SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER! It doesn't seem to shine as much and doesn't sink into pores as much.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2007 2:20:00 PM More reviews by tanassa02

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I guess i would buy this again, except the colour match was not dead on. But it's cheaper then the PurePressed Base, and the quality is just as good. No itching. And the coverage is pretty good. I recommend trying it. skinstore.com sells it, and right now have a 20% off sale (SUMMER) for the next 2 weeks.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2007 11:59:00 AM More reviews by ishine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have this in Light Beige. Also tried Radiant and Satin. They were too dark for me. In summer I use a bronzer(Bobbie Brown) with the Light Beige because it is just a little too light. I really like this!! I had use BE and then Illuminare. I also like Illuminare and might need to go back in the winter because JI might be too dryng for me, will wait and see. I think JI has GREAT coverage and is not shiney. I had that problem with BE. Last all day and only small amount is needed. I did buy the Chisel Brush that is rec. Price is a little high BUT only small amount is needed so should last a long time. Great product!!
Update: No longer using. Just too drying for me. Still feel for the right person, this is a great mineral makeup!