October 31, 2014 | 1503 users online

Powder - Jane Iredale - Amazing Base Loose Finishing Powder

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2007 3:13:00 PM More reviews by ohboy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I preferred the pressed base by JI to this one. This one settled into fine lines and pores just like BE. On the positive side, it never caused a breakout or irritated my skin, unlike BE's line. I'm just not a fan of mineral powder foundation. I thought the pressed base gave better coverage than the loose powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2007 8:27:00 PM More reviews by amor_peace

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Before I use Jane Iredale's Powder, I used 2 liquid foundations & 1 solid powder foundation. The liquid foundations were better than solid powder foundation that they don't make much flaky as solid powder. However, when I was using liquid foundations, I was worried that they would be absorbed inside of my skin that can cause redness or itch. Therefore, after I searched real pure mineral powder, I found Jane Iredale. I have very dry skin, therefore, I was concerned that this also would cause dry and break out. However, I love this product! It's coverage is best than other products and it is very safer to use b/c other products contain bad ingredients that causes skin cancer or irritation. Therefore, after I found Jane Iredale's I never use any other products. In case of run out, I bought one more for back-up :)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2007 4:33:00 PM More reviews by wolfcub

I agree that this powder creates a bit of a mess. The packaging now has more powder on the top part than on the lower part and I am not looking forward to putting it back into the bottom. Having said that, I love the way the powder makes my skin look. It evens out my skin tone and makes my skin look very healthy. My sister even complemented me on how well my skin looked the other day when I was wearing it. That's a huge compliment since she never complements me on anything. The next time though, I think I will go for the pressed version of this foundation.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/11/2007 3:12:00 PM More reviews by nikki415

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my first venture into the world of mineral makeup. I generally like this product however my biggest complaint is that it's a huge mess! Every time I use this it gets all over everything! The powder gives nice coverage and can be layered easily. It also gives my skin a nice glow. The package is not very good and a lot of the powder gets stuck on the side of the sifter... I don't think I'll be buying this again

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2007 9:31:00 AM More reviews by thayerg

This product took a couple of days getting used to, a couple of weeks learning how to apply, and a second trip back to the pharmacy to change colors, but I'm thoroughly happy now with JI and won't be changing.

When I started this product I had some acne to hide and had serious doubts as to whether or not a powder would work. But surprisingly, it is great for coverage, the key is the right brushes and application techniques. To make a concealer, I put a bit of oil free moisturizer on my hand, tap some loose powder into it, and blend with my Laura Mercier concealer brush adding powder or moisturizer until the color is right. Then apply with concealer brush, and voila! The other option I found it to use a foundation brush ( I use the JI or the Sonja Kashuck one) and apply the powder a little heavier on spots that need to be concealed until they are concealed. Then I blend the powder into the rest of my face with a JI chisel brush, and again, surprisingly enough, decent coverage. If I've got some big flaw on my skin I don't think either method will cover, or if I am feeling lazy, I apply a tinted moisturizer (Laura Mercier--which didn't cover well alone when my skin was more acne prone) and apply the powder with a chisel brush.

I started out concerned with this product reading here about bismuth and acne, etc. I didn't think the coverage of a powder (I was a 15 year liquid foundation loyalist) would work, but for some reason I was still interested and only tried it because the local natural pharmacy that stocks it has a great return policy & they have pseudo-make up artists there to help with matching. The first color I got I sat there waiting for it to sink in... it did & although it looked better after it did, despite the fact that I queried the women in my office about the color and they said it was fine, it still didn't look right, so I then ordered a sample of my other choice online, tried it for a week, tried it side by side, and eventually did the exchange. I've been happy ever since.

My skin itched a bit for like the first 3 days I wore it. While initially I thought it was the bismuth, in hind sight, it was a psychosomatic reaction from reading too much here.

I don't remember how long ago I bought it, but it has been a long time, 6 months to a year, and it looks like i still have at least half of the jar left, if not more, so although the price is high, I think the value works out in the end.

And I can't believe I am going to say this, but along with my change in skincare (Philospohy Purity, Peter Thomas Roth Oil Free Moisturizer as needed, and PTR benzoil peroxide/sulfur as needed) my skin has completely cleared up, and I do believe that this foundation played a part.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2007 5:10:00 PM More reviews by AnnaWhite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I contemplated whether or not I should have paid more money for a mineral makeup. But Jane Iredale's line is highly regarded. My shade was Warm Sienna... a good match. However, I didn't like the coverage and it was a bit too shiny. I had high hopes for this product, but it didn't work for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/13/2007 7:01:00 PM More reviews by Bitsyanne

I am so disappointed. I really wanted this to be my HG. My aesthetician recommended it and I was so excited to hear that it was the only makeup endorsed by plastic surgeons. But it does absolutely nothing for me. Doesn't cover well and makes my skin look pretty drab. The pamphlet shows a woman with a wicked case of rosacea wearing the base and she looks flawless. I don't see how they got that look with this base. Big disappointment. Messy, too.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2007 1:42:00 PM More reviews by ciaobella7

This is the best foundation product that I have ever used, and I have used them all! Literally! Got comments from a derm who complemented me on my skin and I mentioned Jane Iredale. It's the best and does NOT accentuate wrinkles, etc.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/13/2007 2:15:00 PM More reviews by seejanereview

Argh! I had such high hopes!

I had already decided before trying the product that THIS was gonna be my HG. Drat! No such luck. In fact it's probably the worst I've look with makeup on since the first time I went out to the roller skating rink wearing makeup at the ripe old age of 13. At least at that age I can blame it on inexperience - can't use that excuse now though.

The goods - Very silky in texture. Lots of colors to choose from - but that is also a negative as having too many choices is just as bad as too few choices sometimes. Felt light on my skin. Those that love this product - love it!

Now for the downers - It took much tinkering and rechecking & consulting to find the right shade (not an easy task I might add) & the shade still ended up being sorta kinda good - never was it a great match - but was the closest of any of the shades we tried & I don't have a wacky skin color - about as average a white girl as they come when it comes to skin color. The MU consulation had me repeatedly go outside and check the color to find the right shade (which was a great idea) BUT it's like 100 degrees right now plus with the heat index - it's about 117 degrees outside. So it was a task. You gotta get color matched - simply comparing a shade to your regular M.A.C. or whatever brand won't cut it. You will be disappointed. I pre-guessed my perfect shade from seeing the shades online - and man was I waaay off in real life!

In my area there are only a handful of plastic surgeon offices, dermatologist & very upscale day spas that carry her products. All these locations wanted me to schedule a "cosmetic consultation" first. Which was very similar to getting wrangled into having to hear about a time-share offer. Dragged on f-o-r-e-v-e-r! I actually scheduled said consults with the derm office & one of the day spa's. Both were long and taxing. Also both places pushed their services on me like a car dealer trying to talk me into buying undercoating for my car.

To note - both places came up with two very different "perfect" shades for me. Found that odd. I choose Amber - which is the closest of any of the shades.

Paid $38 dollars (got a discount coupon for giving them my email address). Of course I gave them the hotmail address I haven't checked/used in forever. Tad over my happy money limit. Without the discount it was cost $43 - 48 depending on which place I purchase at. Heard it's cheaper online though.

So, I apply the product the next morning & holy cow. What happened? I looked splotchy & sallow. It looked like the stuff adhered to certain areas of my face & sat on top of my skin in other areas emphasizing all those teeny tiny baby hairs on my face. Not good. On closer inspection - I discovered fine lines I never have seen before! Double not good! In hindsight - we only tried the product on my jaw bone area - a generally nice area on everyone & one of the last places to show lines, etc.

I tried re-blending - which ended up looking like I tried to hard. I tired adding a tad more to "fill in" the sparce areas - it looked exactly like I tried doing exactly that. I tried to buff off the stuff with a soft dry handtowel - that resulted in forcing the stuff into the little micro lines, grooves, etc - really making me look like I smoked for 40 years (no I've never smoked either). I tried to tidy up with applying a little BE Mineral Viel & told myself it's not that bad.

I then met my hubby for lunch and the odd look he gave me when I walked up to him instantly told me that I had not even remotely managed to "repair" how bad I looked. He squinted & looked at my face from different angles before he said "What happened?". Followed by "Whatever you got on your face makes you look like you put beige cake on your face". He wasen't being mean - I did ask what he thought.

Maybe on super smooth, completely hairless skin with no imperfections (dents, lines, ridges, acne scars, etc) who is perfectly color-matched - this may be ideal. For me it was a major disappointment.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2007 7:17:00 PM More reviews by Noseovertail

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

At first I was a bit offish about the whole mineral make up hype but after using JI I have fallen in love! Being that I'm a make up artist my main concern was color selection and quality. Even the shadows are amazing! This is definitely a working womans brand as the price tag is a little heavy. I use it as a foundation and concealer with the pure pressed based global shades as customized bronzers (maple is my favorite). I noticed that some reviewers have commented about a white or greyish cast but that only means the shade is a bit too light. It has amazing coverage and gives my skin the airbrushed look without looking too powdery. Looks awsome in natural light too. I apply it with a large powder brush in a "tapping" motion onto the skin, starting from the forehead and working my way down. It lasts all day and it's fairly water resistant. I have very oily acneic skin with some red scarring and I can get by nicely with no touch ups through out the day. Will repurchase if I end up blowing through the huge JI collection I've amassed!