CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser

3.8

Water, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Methosulfate/Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-11, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Polyoxyl 40 Stearate, Glyceryl Monostearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum

on 10/9/2013 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is only a cleanser in the sense that wet things will generally get some dirt off of your face. I bought this after reading so many rave reviews about it here and elsewhere. As one who has hecka problems with cleansers being drying and/or irritating, I had super high hopes for this one. I brought it home, raced to the bathtub to slather some on my probably-kinda-dirty face-- and immediately checked the package to make sure I hadn't gone temporarily illiterate in the drugstore. Sure enough, the bottle said C-L-E-A-N-S-E-R and not L-O-T-I-O-N, but I swear that's what was coming out of it. I asked around one of the forums of jolly 17-year-old girls with perfect skin and AmEx Black makeup budgets that I subscribe to, and they all informed me that yes, CeraVa Hydrating Cleanser feels like a lotion but ZOMG ISNT IT TEH BEST CLEANSER EVUR.

No, not really. Cleansers actually, like, clean things. Any they don't leave a sticky, filmy residue behind

Since I'm stuck with the bottle (screw you and your return policies, Drugstore That Shall Not Be Named) I've been using it as a makeup remover. It actually works quite well that way-- wash hands, apply CeraVe Hydrating Not Really A Cleanser to face, rub rub rub, rinse, apply actual cleanser, rub rub rub, rinse. I won't be buying it again though because there are equally gentle and less expensive makeup removers out there that don't pretend they're too cool to be a lotion.

on 10/5/2013 3:48:00 PM

I love this cleanser! It is another of my "go to" products after my TCA chemical peels. After 48 hours of using water only to rinse my face, I start using this. It leaves my skin feeling wonderful. I use it every single day with no ill side effects like breakouts, etc...I'm so glad I found this stuff and Highly recommend it!

on 10/5/2013 3:17:00 PM

I started using this around the time I picked up Retin-A, thinking that my already dry skin would benefit from the extra moisture...but it didn't seem to have any sort of moisturizing effect on my skin at all, besides making me break out. Nothing cystic, thankfully, but my skin definitely experienced some problems with this cleanser. It also left my skin feeling a little filmy.

That being said, it's not very expensive for a pretty big bottle of this stuff, and it should last you a long time. It isn't a TERRIBLE product, but it isn't a great one either. There are plenty of people who have amazing experiences with this, so it might be worth trying out a travel sized bottle and seeing whether it gets along with your skin or not.

on 10/3/2013 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Add me to the list of people who broke out.... Disclaimer...I break out regardless, so there are few things that I KNOW make it worse. This is one of them.

I had been recovering from a period of bad breakouts and was cutting down my routine, sticking to one thing, etc. I bought this to use as a potential AM cleanser to stay hydrated but waited a few weeks until my skin healed for the most part to try it. Well, I did. I was ok with the consistency and even spot tested on my lower left jaw the day before. The next morning, I used it all over. I changed nothing else. By the evening, two or three of my breakouts that were shrinking on my cheek seemed to be wanting to burst. I had been very very careful about NOT touching my face, AT ALL (in terms of picking/popping) because I realized that when I attempted to extract small whiteheads, a few days later they would turn cystic or into pimples, so I had made SURE I didn't do any of that. The next morning, I was swollen under my eyebrows, like a deep cyst was forming in each one, and I hadn't touched that area at all, but now they were sensitive and red and swollen. I ALSO had a few new whiteheads. This is so completely new and sudden, and I just can't trust this cleanser to try again. I also broke out to the foaming and though I loved how my skin felt, I put it together that it was the cleanser. I thought it was the Niacinimide because a few other products with that also irritate me, but it could be more as well. There is something in the CeraVe products that clog many people. (I have used hyaluronic acid as well as ceramides and it was ok....but it could be those or any other ingredient. It's funny that it comes up as non-comedogenic. Yea, right.) Returning this. I just can't. Was going so well, now I have to wait longer to fix this mess.

on 9/24/2013 11:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Relaxed, Fine

*My skin: Very sensitive, rosacea, slightly dry, with micro acne on forehead.

After not being too impressed with this cleanser at first, I have finally figured out the best way to get the most out of it, and it is now one of my favorite cleansers.

The texture of this cleanser is very similar to a gel, if I was to compare it to two others I would say it's a mix between La Roche Posays Toleriane (which is more a lotion consistency) and Cetaphil (which is more watery). It's very easy to work with and glides right over the skin, and feels quite soothing.

I'll say right off this does not get my skin clean ("clean" not stripped ;), and it is very poor at removing my current sunscreen (trying out Elta MDs physical, which is a tinted sunscreen)..as in, it doesn't make it budge at all or really anything for that matter. Makeup? Nope.

But as a *morning* cleanser this is a staple. Using two pumps- I find using a lot of product makes a difference in my case, I massage it all over my face and neck for a good minute. More would probably be better but I'm lazy :) Then, rinse off and I'm left with soft skin that has had its first boost of soothing hydration. I find this is a great start for my skin in the morning, and for me I do not notice a film. But my skin is not terribly oily and is thinner in some areas. If you're very oily you might notice a film, which I think is the cleanser attempting to mimic skin to help those who have a distressed skin barrier.

As for price it's not bad at all, about 11$ USD and CeraVe is pretty good at providing coupons or sales. It's also really nice to use products that I don't have to order online, at least for me!

All in all I think this is a very good, gentle cleanser and if you're quite sensitive I think it's worth a look :)

Thanks for reading!

on 9/14/2013 4:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was advised by a dermatologist to use this cleanser after I went in for hormonal acne. I used it for a while, it's not bad but I probably won't buy it again. The cleanser leaves a strange feeling on your face, very suffocating feel for the thickness/texture of the cleanser. It doesn't lather at all, very creamy. Doesn't leave my face too dry or filmy afterwards on my VERY oily skin.

on 9/13/2013 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Oh CeraVe... I tried this cleanser out after the foaming version left my skin dehydrated. I quite like this cleanser. It's gentle and non-stripping, and leaves my skin soft but gently cleansed. Unfortunately, I think it's slightly clogging for me as I occasionally get small white heads that I never got previously. Time to search for another cleanser.

on 9/8/2013 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I have been using CeraVe's hydrating cleanser for two years now. After trying different cleansers (see my reviews) for years, I have just stuck with this one. My skin has been changing. It goes from break-out city to smooth to dry to oily... it depends sometimes on weather, diet... it's pretty insane. I got tired of messing with my routine and opted to treat my skin as dry and sensitive by default so I was referred to this wash.

It doesn't lather. It's much like the Cetaphil cleanser, but I have better luck with this for some reason. No offensive smell. Ceramides and hyraulonic acid. It doesn't take all of my makeup off if I have a heavier face of make-up on, but it doesn't dry my skin out if I use it twice. My routine: Bioderma Sensibio/Crealine Micellar Water and cotton rounds to remove makeup. Apply CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser to face. Use Clarisonic Mia. Rinse. If I am out of my Bioderma micellar water, I just do the same process using the CeraVe cleanser. It works but I feel like the micellar water is better at removing makeup.

Happy skin! No breakouts. No dry skin. Just wish the bottle looked cuter. Also, when you get to the bottom of the bottle it gets annoying trying to get cleanser out but I'll deal.

on 9/6/2013 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I like this product so much right now. It doesn't break me out, dry me out. I cannot find any bad things about it. I definitely will repurchase it. However, this product is always out of stock....Yeah, I just want to add one more thing... I have finished one bottle already, took me about 3 month for only morning use...

on 8/31/2013 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I have dry, sensitive skin that can get over-cleansed even with "gentle" cleansers. This is a great morning cleanser for removing my night time moisturizer. It does NOT take off makeup, so I never use it in the evening if I've had makeup on all day.

While it has some great ingredients in it, I'm not sure whether they actually make much of an impact since it's just a cleanser that you rinse off. But my skin never ever reacts to it, it provides extra moisturization, and the bottle is larger than most so I don't have to rebuy often. The price is comparable to most other drugstore cleansers because of the size of the bottle (twice the price, but twice the amount too).

For now, I'm happy with it and I am sticking with this as my gentle basic morning moisturizer. I use foaming cleansers at night to remove makeup, and this is perfect to alternate with those since they dry me out if I use them day and night.