New York Color Smooth Skin loose powder - Translucent

Price: $

on 8/3/2009 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I absolutely love the price. I wish all powders are less than 2 dollars. So for the price the quality is pretty good. It gives a nice sheer coverage. Be careful when applying because when you put too much it can look really powdery. I wouldn't suggest this for those that have really oily skin because it can absorb in a matter of minutes. I would buy it again if I really have to but for me, I wouldn't pick as an HG.

on 7/28/2009 6:21:00 PM

Just okay. There's no staying power to it - I need to touch up at least twice a day when wearing this. I also find that I can see I'm wearing it, particularly on my nose (looks "powdery"). As others have mentioned, the packaging is crap.

But, I can't complain considering the price and will keep around in case of emergency.

on 7/28/2009 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i love this powder. i use it to set my concealer, my liquid and then after i apply everything. Its pretty cheap and it doesnt cause me to break out either. although it doesnt keep my skin looking matte all day, it sure helps cause without it i'd be an oil slick. the packaging could be better, like...a lid thats better at staying put. its pretty basic, a huge tub of powder with a sponge and lid you just stick on

first i apply liquid lightly over my face and then brush on the stuff to set it. then i apply concealer in the places that the liquid did not cover an then i kind of pat on the powder onto my face because i dont want to use a brush and brush away at the concealer over my breakouts.
then i apply looser mineral foundation and bit over my face to match my face match my tan on my neck, mist my face with water to erase the powdery/chalky look and then mist again slightly.

i know everyone complains about how the powder is like EVERYWHERE when you open the lid who cares, SIMPLE SOLUTION: cut a piece of tape and cover the some of the holes so less of the powder comes out, since you dont even need a lot. it works like a charm.

This is my HG powder! I don't wear foundation, but I wear concealer and set it with this powder using my Totally Buff brush and I love the way it looks and feels. It's not chalky, and it's translucent, so it doesn't look like you're wearing anything.
I've been using it everyday for the past year or so, and I still have a little bit left! The only reason why I am taking off one lippie is because within an hour or so, the oil on my t-zone starts to come through, but I can't blame the powder since I live in AZ, and I'm outside a lot. I always use my NYC pressed powder in Translucent for touch-ups throughout the day.
All in all, it's a pretty great product, especially for the price :)

on 6/12/2009 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Just got this and tried it on my face with nothing else on except cream blusher and it looked absolutely flawless! my shinies disappeared and it had nearly the same effect like when I put my foundation (studio fix) on. absolutely gorgeous and the price - you can't beat it!

Btw, hey girls if you wanna avoid the crap packaging, you could try putting some tape on the sifter holes. I only left one hole open and so far the product has been good to me! :D

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! :)

This was my first experience with a loose powder, and I'm happy with it. The packaging is a little bulky -- I ended up removing the sifter pretty quickly, and I use my Mark Kabuki brush to apply the powder, however it's very lightweight and lasts for a good while before I can start to feel any oil. It's also fairly cheap, and a container has lasted around four months, if not longer.

this product is alright in a pinch but i find that its quite chalky and doesn't cover all that well. I could feel it sitting on my skin with in an hour and it didn't absorb much oil. over all this product is ok and it could work for some people but for me its a no.

on 4/30/2009 2:08:00 PM

Dirt cheap and invisible on the skin, not chalky at all. I only use this to set my makeup, not touch up during the day. Great bargain.

on 4/19/2009 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The product in general is pretty decent for the price you pay for it. You dont need a lot of the product to get a matte look, but it does not hold very well for absorbing oil, but it does set in foundation okay.

This product's packaging is not very efficient; the shifter does not work well at all, so if you buy this I would recommend you just take out the shifter and dip your brush or sponge directly into the powder.

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

This product does what it's supposed to and sets my foundation nicely, although it certainly doesn't last through an entire day. If I apply my makeup at 8am in the morning, my face will turn back into quite the greaseball by 6pm. I know what you're thinking... just touch it up! Bad idea... the product has an absolutely horrible lid that does not keep any powder where it's supposed to. So, traveling with this particular item is pretty much out of the question.

It is cheap, and I may buy it again if I'm ever strapped for cash. Otherwise, I'd opt out of this one. It is translucent though, which was my main concern (many MUA-ers that gave this product good reviews mentioned that they were fairly light in skin tone). I'm an NC40-42 and this powder doesn't add any colour to my face when I use it, which was a relief.

Overall, does it's job (and for $3, it does it well), but I think I'll shell out a few more bucks for another loose powder next time!