September 16, 2014 | 1846 users online

Eyeliner - E.L.F. - Waterproof Eyeliner Pen

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 7/15/2012 3:10:00 PM More reviews by Enkida

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

General information about my eyes: warm-toned darker skin with inwardly-folded semi-mono asian eyelids.

I bought this pen in black because (I thought - maybe I got the wrong product) it got a good review from Beautypedia and at $1 it was dirt cheap. I got what I paid for; perhaps with $2 it would have covered both eyes. The product itself is not bad, the black is rich and covers well - when you can get anything out of the pen. Usually the flow of color petered out right after I finished one eye, leaving me with nothing a light greyish smudge on the other. No amount of storing head-down or shaking would solve this problem until at least a couple of hours had passed.

On top of that, the felt tip of the pen, which was very precise and useful at first, unravelled very quickly. This may have been in part due to my frustrated efforts to use the dried out pen tip on my second eye after the liquid pigment had already dried out.

I want to add here that I am not a heavy makeup user, nor was I making wingtips or cat eyes or anything else dramatic. I am relatively tan and can get away with using black eyeliner lightly for a natural eye look, which is what I was going for with this pen. And again, with what product I could get out of the pen, I was relatively satisfied with.

While it is waterproof, I found that on my normal-to-dry eyelids it did significantly fade fairly quickly. I always use a primer (TFSI) before putting on any eye makeup, so I can only assume that without the primer, the lifespan of this eyeliner would have been even shorter than the 4 or less hours it did actually last.

For a short-term look, or if you have the time to reapply frequently, this eyeliner is okay - so long as you buy two pens, one for each eye. At $2 it won't break the bank, either. But as someone who has neither the time nor patience to reapply eyeliner mid-day, however, and since having upgraded to higher end drugstore brands, I won't be looking back at this one, not unless they significantly improve the packaging.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/9/2012 9:24:00 AM More reviews by cleo_satsweet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Not a bad product by any means but the pigmentation is lacking. I can see this being good for someone lighter than myself (nc50). But for me, I need smth more pigmented like the essence liquid liner.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2012 6:40:00 AM More reviews by earvizo92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this item 3 times both times dry. The third one in black cam out really light like grey then the tip bent. I bought it black twice so tried brown and all three came dried out. On the first use!!! Don't waste your money even if it's a Dollar. Jordana black eyeliner at Walgreens for only a dollar and is super pigmented and lasted me months. Jordana eyeliner was awesome never smudged or anything.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2012 5:42:00 PM More reviews by ThatDarnCass

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like these ELF eyeliner pens. I have purchased them a few times, both the black and the coffee (brown) shades. I use the pen to line my upper lashes, and it works great. It also lasts all day for me and does not smear (and I am talking about from 7am to 10pm). I do have to reapply the coffee pen once during that time period, as the color does fade after my day at work, but it does not disappear. Overall, it is a great product especially as it's $1. One thing to note, however. As another reviewer said, some of the ELF products are not consistent with quality. In my purchases of this eyeliner pen, I have gotten one that dried out rather quickly and its tip sort of shredded from a point. But most have lasted quite a while, and with the tip still in perfect condition.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2012 3:56:00 PM More reviews by delicatepost

I'm really disappointed in this product, I honestly thought it would be good!! I bought quite a few colours.. Ended up testing everyone and chucking them all in the bin!, doesn't apply great at all, I feel like it was a sharpie that dried up ages ago but this was new!!! I honestly thought it would apply better, hate it

rated 3 of 5 on 7/1/2012 2:02:00 AM More reviews by star89dlc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Unlike some of the others, mine hasn't dried up yet. I have this pen in brown, its called Coffee. It isn't 100% waterproof, it comes off easily with warm water. It doesn't wear too long, for me it will last 3-4 hours until it smears/smudges. But I like how it applies and I like the color. Overall, I think this elf eyeliner is Okay.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2012 7:27:00 AM More reviews by woahviviannn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It dried up so fast! The product was super crappy. I hate it lol thank god it was only less than $5.00.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2012 12:23:00 PM More reviews by madeupmary

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have owned a couple of eyeliner pens in the past and since I was doing an ELF haul already I thought I would add one of these into my purchase. This product is so-so, I wasn't expecting miracles at 1.50 and it's alright, but just alright, nothing to rave about. It isn't the blackest black but I can get a very accurate line with it, which is good. My main annoyance with it is that it only has a shelf life of 3 months according to the back of my packaging. I suppose at this price I can't really complain, but I would prefer it cost double that and lasted 6-12 months because I think having a product I can only use for 3 months afterwards is kind of a waste. In the UK we can't buy ELF in drugstores, only online so I didn't know that it had such a short shelf life, if I had, I wouldn't have bought it.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2012 1:23:00 PM More reviews by Ccooi

To get anything out of the pen I have to put some serious pressure into it. The swatches on my hand look good enough, but I'm not willing to use such force on the delicate eye area. The brush is also very coarse, and it feels like sandpaper on my eyelid.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/11/2012 11:19:00 PM More reviews by MMDLS

So far this liner has been behaving alright lol. I have it in brown, its pretty dark, it kinda looks like a dull black. The tip is a little bit hard but nothing too uncomfortable for me. It also hasnt dried, but then again ive only used it a few times. I do prefer the regular liquid liner than this tho.