November 28, 2014 | 1587 users online

Makeup Brushes - Ecotools - Five Piece Mineral Set (4 brushes, 1 case)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2010 1:22:00 PM More reviews by lola88

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This my favorite brush set from Ecotools. If you do not have any Ecotools brushes, this set is a great place to start. It comes with blush brush, kabuki, an eyeshadow blending brush that is a sort of dupe for the MAC 224 but thinner, and a flat brush that is good for applying concealer since the tip comes to a point.
I would not recommend storing the brushes in the pouch that it comes with. The short length of the brushes make them great for throwing into a makeup bag for on-the-go.
The bristles are very soft.
This set is a must-have for any makeup collector and especially for beginners.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2010 10:42:00 AM More reviews by KBaglio85

I just bought this brush set and I am in lovee. It's absolutely perfect for my everyday makeup routine. I can pretty much do my whole face just using this little kit. The mini kabuki is perfect for putting on mineral foundation, it applies the perfect coverage. The blush brush is awesome for applying bronzer or even blush. The two shadow brushes are awesome! I personally like the crease brush! Did i mention how soft these brushes are? omg they feel awesome on your face! I reccomend this cute little kit to anyone who loves makeup just as much as I do. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2010 1:01:00 AM More reviews by poivre27

I must say I am satisfied about my purchase, but would have purchased the brushed in their full-size instead. Individual reviews:

Powder brush - Overall a good brush. Gives a sheer to medium coverage of mineral makeup, and applied bronzer/blush. It's not CRAZY soft as I thought it would be after reading reviews on MUA, but it is definitely softer than most brushes. I use it to dot mineral powder on the areas of my face (then use MAC #130 to stipple and buff, or the Ecotools kabuki brush), or to apply bronzer. However, next time I would purchase the original powder brush with the longer handle. 4.5/5

Kabuki brush - The bristles on this are SUPER soft, moreso than the powder brush. I mainly use this to blend bronzer/blush or my mineral makeup. I love using this on my face! Sadly there's practically no handle on nit (even though kabukis usually have small handles) so I will try the retractable kabuki brush next time. 5/5

Concealer brush - I have to say it's pretty soft, so it does blend concealer fairly well. However I find that it picks up a lot of the concealer, so I use it very lightly after I tap concealer onto my acne scars. I really don't like this to use under eyes because I feel like it pulls the skin. I would give this brush a 3.5/5.

Eyeshadow brush - Soft, yes, but there is almost no control with this brush. It's also a bit too big and oddly shaped for eyeshadow on the eyes, unless you are only using 1 colour, maybe 2, for a daytime look. I much prefer this for applying under-eye concealer since it is so soft. Another thing to note, is that when I clean this brush, the bristles stick out in an odd way (none of the other brushes do this) which makes it seem cheap. For it's purposes as an eyeshadow brush, I give it a 2.5/5 mainly because of the lack of control.

Carrying case - Too small to hold the powder brush and all of the brushed combined. I've kept it, though, in case I find a use for it when traveling.

Overall, I think that these brushes are surprisingly well-made for its price and would recommend it for younger people who are new to makeup. It is great for everyday wear. But I feel like after you use this product for a while, you want to move on to bigger and better things. I also would not recommend getting the starter kit if you like your eye makeup, or like a different type of concealer brush, as those are the weaker brushes in this pack. Instead, just buy the brushes separately so you get exactly what you like.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2010 5:59:00 PM More reviews by xPinkStuff

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

So I've heard about ecotools for a looong time and actually recommend this to my sister who bought the other 5 piece set. Then I just bought this set on impulse awhile ago at Walmart for about $15 (HST!). Washed all of them and none of them shed too! (knock on wood)
The Kabuki=The cutest thing ever. It's very soft and great for buffing out everything from liquid to powders. I also washed it and it dried overnight, which is surpising because i have others just as dense that that take longer to dry.
The Powder Brush=Really good for blush. I haven't tried it with fdtn yet but I did use it with my msf perfect topping and it is the best brush that I've used yet with the msf.Gives a very soft and subtle highlight. Also it's small enough that I can choose exactly where to place it.
Concealer=Very firm and flexible. Just a good concealer brush
Eye Brush= Waay too big to use to contour my small-ish eyes. But I use this to blend out harsh eyeshadow lines or for undereye concealer instead.
Overall, really good value for the the price. I'd gladly spend $15 on just the kabuki and the powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2010 5:00:00 PM More reviews by grits4eva90

My fav brush set by far! These 4 brushes have soo many uses than i will name in order from least to most favorite (even though i use them all on a regular basis):
Concealer Brush- mineral concealer, packing heavy color to eye lids, contouring nose
Baby Kabuki- buffing powders, putting a light to medium coverage of mineral foundation, applying and blending blush
Mineral Powder Brush- this brush is excellent at applying liquid foundation especially if you want to stipple, light to medium mineral foundation, apply finishing powder
Eye Shading Brush- this can be used for an all over color eyeshadow, blending eyeshadows, my fav use for this is to use this w/ my MAC studio finish concealer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2010 8:08:00 PM More reviews by CarrieLynnJ

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

So so soft and I havent had any fiber fallout. The product pick up is great, coverage is wonderful, overall great brushes. I got these as part of a BOGO at Ulta and this was a SUPER deal. They eyeshadow blending brush was also pretty good for a smokey eye I tried out. I would definately buy more as needed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2010 12:29:00 AM More reviews by pinkolive2010

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is such a great product for the price it is almost like a gift. I got the alicia set with the little makeup bag on one side and the brush holder on the other, I bought this first for myself to tried and I love it, so I got another for my kids x3, they are girls, I only have one boy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2010 12:14:00 AM More reviews by departureofskies

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had been wanting to try Ecotools brushes for a while so I got this set and the angled eyeliner brush when Ulta had a BOGO deal. I am really pleased with this set. The brushes are sooo soft and don't shed at all. I do use mineral makeup and these apply it perfectly. My makeup looks a lot better using these than when I use my Bare Escentuals brushes. My only complaint is that I wish the kabuki brush was a little more dense.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2010 3:06:00 PM More reviews by HelloKittyHun

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I loooove Eco Tools. This set in specific, has a variety of uses and is great for travel. Whenever, I'm staying over someone's house or going on a trip, I bring these and I basically have all my face brushes right here. They're super soft, pick up product well, and I overall, enjoy using these brushes. I'm an eco friendly person, so this makes me feel GOOD buying these because they donate a portion of their sales to saving the enviroment. They look professional and for the price, it's worth every penny! I really recommend these brushes.

I just wish EcoTools had a more variety in their brushes, I mean they have good basic brushes, but I wish that they would make a bit more other useful brushes in their line. Like a highlighting brush, or a stippling brush, or a contour brush. That would be great. ^^

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2010 3:37:00 PM More reviews by LovelyLilies

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

KABUKI: I expected this brush to be a lot more dense. Yes, it's soft but I wouldn't consider this to be a kabuki. To me, it's more like a powder brush with the handle cut off. My Ecotools blush brush (from the other 5-pc brush set) is more dense than this, even after owning that brush for half a year. If you want full coverage this won't deliver so I actually use this as my travel powder brush (using powder-swiping motions, not buffing) since the density is about the same but it's a lot more compact. I actually wanted the kabuki so I could buff in my makeup if I put too much blush or bronzer on and this completely failed in that but it does make a nice "powder" brush.

POWDER BRUSH: It does pretty much the same thing as the kabuki but it's more bulky. I use this at home.

EYESHADOW BLENDING BRUSH: Not a huge fan of eyeshadow so this isn't the most useful tool for me but on those occasional days where I play around with eyeshadow for fun (admit it, you do it too!) it works well for blending out the colors. Since it's my only shadow blending brush I have no idea how it compares to others but it works better than what I used before which was a concealer brush.

CONCEALER BRUSH: I'm pretty sure it's identical to the concealer brush in the other 5-pc set I got from Ecotools but the handle's shorter for travel convenience. Good for my undereye area.