September 1, 2014 | 1962 users online

Makeup Brushes - Ecotools - Five Piece Mineral Set (4 brushes, 1 case)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2010 1:01:00 AM More reviews by poivre27

I must say I am satisfied about my purchase, but would have purchased the brushed in their full-size instead. Individual reviews:

Powder brush - Overall a good brush. Gives a sheer to medium coverage of mineral makeup, and applied bronzer/blush. It's not CRAZY soft as I thought it would be after reading reviews on MUA, but it is definitely softer than most brushes. I use it to dot mineral powder on the areas of my face (then use MAC #130 to stipple and buff, or the Ecotools kabuki brush), or to apply bronzer. However, next time I would purchase the original powder brush with the longer handle. 4.5/5

Kabuki brush - The bristles on this are SUPER soft, moreso than the powder brush. I mainly use this to blend bronzer/blush or my mineral makeup. I love using this on my face! Sadly there's practically no handle on nit (even though kabukis usually have small handles) so I will try the retractable kabuki brush next time. 5/5

Concealer brush - I have to say it's pretty soft, so it does blend concealer fairly well. However I find that it picks up a lot of the concealer, so I use it very lightly after I tap concealer onto my acne scars. I really don't like this to use under eyes because I feel like it pulls the skin. I would give this brush a 3.5/5.

Eyeshadow brush - Soft, yes, but there is almost no control with this brush. It's also a bit too big and oddly shaped for eyeshadow on the eyes, unless you are only using 1 colour, maybe 2, for a daytime look. I much prefer this for applying under-eye concealer since it is so soft. Another thing to note, is that when I clean this brush, the bristles stick out in an odd way (none of the other brushes do this) which makes it seem cheap. For it's purposes as an eyeshadow brush, I give it a 2.5/5 mainly because of the lack of control.

Carrying case - Too small to hold the powder brush and all of the brushed combined. I've kept it, though, in case I find a use for it when traveling.

Overall, I think that these brushes are surprisingly well-made for its price and would recommend it for younger people who are new to makeup. It is great for everyday wear. But I feel like after you use this product for a while, you want to move on to bigger and better things. I also would not recommend getting the starter kit if you like your eye makeup, or like a different type of concealer brush, as those are the weaker brushes in this pack. Instead, just buy the brushes separately so you get exactly what you like.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2010 5:59:00 PM More reviews by xPinkStuff

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

So I've heard about ecotools for a looong time and actually recommend this to my sister who bought the other 5 piece set. Then I just bought this set on impulse awhile ago at Walmart for about $15 (HST!). Washed all of them and none of them shed too! (knock on wood)
The Kabuki=The cutest thing ever. It's very soft and great for buffing out everything from liquid to powders. I also washed it and it dried overnight, which is surpising because i have others just as dense that that take longer to dry.
The Powder Brush=Really good for blush. I haven't tried it with fdtn yet but I did use it with my msf perfect topping and it is the best brush that I've used yet with the msf.Gives a very soft and subtle highlight. Also it's small enough that I can choose exactly where to place it.
Concealer=Very firm and flexible. Just a good concealer brush
Eye Brush= Waay too big to use to contour my small-ish eyes. But I use this to blend out harsh eyeshadow lines or for undereye concealer instead.
Overall, really good value for the the price. I'd gladly spend $15 on just the kabuki and the powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2010 5:00:00 PM More reviews by grits4eva90

My fav brush set by far! These 4 brushes have soo many uses than i will name in order from least to most favorite (even though i use them all on a regular basis):
Concealer Brush- mineral concealer, packing heavy color to eye lids, contouring nose
Baby Kabuki- buffing powders, putting a light to medium coverage of mineral foundation, applying and blending blush
Mineral Powder Brush- this brush is excellent at applying liquid foundation especially if you want to stipple, light to medium mineral foundation, apply finishing powder
Eye Shading Brush- this can be used for an all over color eyeshadow, blending eyeshadows, my fav use for this is to use this w/ my MAC studio finish concealer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2010 8:08:00 PM More reviews by CarrieLynnJ

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

So so soft and I havent had any fiber fallout. The product pick up is great, coverage is wonderful, overall great brushes. I got these as part of a BOGO at Ulta and this was a SUPER deal. They eyeshadow blending brush was also pretty good for a smokey eye I tried out. I would definately buy more as needed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2010 12:29:00 AM More reviews by pinkolive2010

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is such a great product for the price it is almost like a gift. I got the alicia set with the little makeup bag on one side and the brush holder on the other, I bought this first for myself to tried and I love it, so I got another for my kids x3, they are girls, I only have one boy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2010 12:14:00 AM More reviews by departureofskies

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had been wanting to try Ecotools brushes for a while so I got this set and the angled eyeliner brush when Ulta had a BOGO deal. I am really pleased with this set. The brushes are sooo soft and don't shed at all. I do use mineral makeup and these apply it perfectly. My makeup looks a lot better using these than when I use my Bare Escentuals brushes. My only complaint is that I wish the kabuki brush was a little more dense.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2010 3:06:00 PM More reviews by HelloKittyHun

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I loooove Eco Tools. This set in specific, has a variety of uses and is great for travel. Whenever, I'm staying over someone's house or going on a trip, I bring these and I basically have all my face brushes right here. They're super soft, pick up product well, and I overall, enjoy using these brushes. I'm an eco friendly person, so this makes me feel GOOD buying these because they donate a portion of their sales to saving the enviroment. They look professional and for the price, it's worth every penny! I really recommend these brushes.

I just wish EcoTools had a more variety in their brushes, I mean they have good basic brushes, but I wish that they would make a bit more other useful brushes in their line. Like a highlighting brush, or a stippling brush, or a contour brush. That would be great. ^^

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2010 3:37:00 PM More reviews by LovelyLilies

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

KABUKI: I expected this brush to be a lot more dense. Yes, it's soft but I wouldn't consider this to be a kabuki. To me, it's more like a powder brush with the handle cut off. My Ecotools blush brush (from the other 5-pc brush set) is more dense than this, even after owning that brush for half a year. If you want full coverage this won't deliver so I actually use this as my travel powder brush (using powder-swiping motions, not buffing) since the density is about the same but it's a lot more compact. I actually wanted the kabuki so I could buff in my makeup if I put too much blush or bronzer on and this completely failed in that but it does make a nice "powder" brush.

POWDER BRUSH: It does pretty much the same thing as the kabuki but it's more bulky. I use this at home.

EYESHADOW BLENDING BRUSH: Not a huge fan of eyeshadow so this isn't the most useful tool for me but on those occasional days where I play around with eyeshadow for fun (admit it, you do it too!) it works well for blending out the colors. Since it's my only shadow blending brush I have no idea how it compares to others but it works better than what I used before which was a concealer brush.

CONCEALER BRUSH: I'm pretty sure it's identical to the concealer brush in the other 5-pc set I got from Ecotools but the handle's shorter for travel convenience. Good for my undereye area.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2010 2:44:00 PM More reviews by tubbyloves

Really great quality!
Great for travelling, vacation, or touch-up jobs
Nice and can be easy used
All brushes are soft, dense, firm, and really worth the money
It is eco-friendly which makes this a GREAT OPTION!
Please check this set out!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2010 11:37:00 AM More reviews by Shopaholic818

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been wanting to try Eco Tools for the longest time, and found it at my local drugstore a few days ago, and I am in love! The bristles are soooo soft, and I love the concept of it being Eco- friendly. The brushes are relatively small, but perfect for traveling or on the go touchups (and it comes with a cute case!).
The next day after buying this, I decided to get the Essence of Beauty brushes just to try out some more drugstore brands. And, I must say that Eco Tools beats them by more than a mile. They are much softer and practical, and the best part - cheap! You just can't beat $11.99 ! Plus it doesn't have a weird scent like the EoB ones, it just feels clean. I also deep cleaned my Kabuki last night, and no bristles fell off, and it made it even softer!
Bottom Line: I recommend this for anyone looking for cheap, eco-friendly, travel-friendly, great quality brushes. I will definitely be purchasing more from the line!