April 20, 2014 | 1545 users online

Mascara - Estee Lauder - Sumptuous

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2011 6:28:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

I got a trial size of this in a GWP when I purchased my DoubleWear foundation and concealer.
I had my fair share of high end brands of mascara such as Lancome, Shiseido and Clinique (if you count that as high end), all seem so so, bnothing for me to rave about, soo I never really bothered with high end brands mascara.
Lately I have been discovering a new found respect for Estee Lauder makeup. Over many visits to the Estee Lauder counter, playing with all their makeup, I have not yet found one makeup product as yet that was a let down.
Sumptuous Mascara did exeactly what it claimed, volume and lift! This mascara is the best I have seen yet in terms of giving volume, its seperates my lashes so it looks as though I've got a ton of lashes, even upon layering the mascara it does not clump into a big goop. I know a lot of mascara, that claims to volumize lashes usually clumps and goop lashes together, giving the illusion from faraway it looks as though it is very dense but up close it just horrible. With Sumptuous whether its faraway or up close I still look as though I have a thick dense lashes.
I usually curl my lashes prior to applying mascara, and then wait for it to dry and recurl them again. This mascara lift my lashes so I usually dont have to recurl again after application, but if you were expecting those bouncy curls, then be realistic, it's not going to happen with any mascara out there on the market at all.
This mascara is extremely pricey here in Australia, I think it might be about $60AUD for the full product. I will be looking at getting this and the Turbolashes from Estee Lauder in the near future, right now, i just want to enjoy my sample. I suggest if anyone out there is looking for a great mascara, give this one a try, you might not have to buy it, just go to an Estee Lauder counter, apply some on and try it out.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2011 1:24:00 AM More reviews by mich52331

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Fantastic mascara. I never would have tried it on my own, but I received it as a GWP when I bought Youth Dew. I normally don't use department store makeup. Previously, had been using Maybelline's Volume Express. The Sumptuous mascara lengthens and thickens without clumping, adds just enough drama (plus more if you layer). My eyes themselves just look so gorgeous when I wear this mascara? This does NOT flake or smudge under my eyes all day. However, when it's time to wash, it knows to melt right off of my lashes and skin. A mascara with a working brain, I like that :). EDIT I changed my mind! I bought a full tube of this and, for some reason, it now definitely smudges under my eyes by the end of the day. I don't think I've being doing anything different.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2011 8:03:00 AM More reviews by TrishyB

This is surprisingly good. I purchsed this after reading reviews as I had never really heard anything or tried an EL mascara so I thought I'd give it a go.
I must say, the effect is very similar to that of ysl's faux cils mascara, the only difference that I can pick is sumptuous' formula isn't as thick and doesn't dry as quick and the brush is slightly smaller and tapered towards the tip. Holds the curl, no flaking or smudging and can easily be washed of with water. It can clump if you apply too many layers. Other than that, a surprisingly good mascara for everyday as it does define and slighlty lengthen lashes.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2011 12:04:00 PM More reviews by yunjin1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Well, this mascara is absolutely wonderful. I am very paranoid with high-end mascara since I heard many bad reviews about them. However, this mascara is very good for curling your eyelashes. It holds the volume very well. I have been using it almost half a year. Really good product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2011 4:08:00 AM More reviews by pennypencil

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is an okay-to-good mascara, which does lengthen a bit, looks quite black, and stays on all day. The formula brushes on a bit dry, but coats lashes well. Unfortunately I have now been spoilt by trying Diorshow Extase, which is a simply beautiful product. I would use this one if it was at a drug-store price, but since it's in the premier league, I might not, because it's not as perfect as some others.
I don't like the way the Estee Lauder mascaras remove, either. You can't wash them off - they flake, dryly, with some agitation. This irks me as I like to preserve my lashes as much as possible, and fancy I'll tug the odd one out. However, using a cleansing oil or something that emulsifies in that oil-to-lotion way works fine.
Still, these criticisms are mild, really, and overall my experience with this has been good, and actually, I'm editing to say that its performance has seemed even better after a run of mascara disasters and bad choices. A reliable mascara.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2011 2:29:00 PM More reviews by meric

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I wanted to buy a natural looking , not smudy mascara that would seperate my eye lashes indivudually.
This was recommended by the sales person and I really regret to buy it. The consistency ok but the applicator is terrible. There is no way for it to seperate my lashes so my lashes are stuck in groups. Since I've bought it , the best I came up with was to wipe the excess mascara at the tip of the tube and apply it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2011 9:06:00 PM More reviews by nattyngeorge

The formula of this mascara is great. It isn't too thick and it isn't too thin. It's the perfect in-between. Also seemed very wet (most likely because it's new) and coated my top and bottom lashes without having to go for a second dip in the tube. It didn't take long to dry and didn't transfer all over my lids or under eyes. I was able to go back shortly to add another coat. It seems to build volume well - without looking clumpy (Like L'Oreal Voluminous or YSL Faux Cils might). One thing I noticed right away was the richness of the black. It is definitely the blackest black and has a glossy finish - love that!! Although this mascara doesn't necessarily lengthen and the main focus is on the volumizing.. I do feel that my lashes look the slightest longer. Nothing dramatic though. If you prefer a more natural look... you can still use this mascara, but you only need a few swipes. The claims are true that my lashes do feel very lightweight while wearing this mascara. I really like the brush. It is larger at the base and then gets smaller toward the end so you can get extra close to your lashes and get into the small corners of your eyes. The only downside to this mascara was that after a couple hours of wear, I would get black transfer under my eyes. *sigh* This is the main reason I never purchase new mascaras.. because the only one that has never transferred is Covergirl Lash Blast. If you don't have a problem with your mascara transferring, this is a great mascara to check out! Otherwise, if you're like me... you may want to stick with mascaras that claim to be smudgeproof.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2011 1:13:00 PM More reviews by wonderblue

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have a free sample of this and I love it! It really volumises my lashes without the spidery lash effect that say Givenchy Phenomen'eyes had and isn't clumpy at all. That said the price is pretty steep for a mascara so I don't know whether I will buy this when my sample runs out. For me this is more of a "going out" mascara, I will stick with my Clinique High Impact during the day time.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/25/2011 5:04:00 PM More reviews by asilanna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

It gave my lashes a more volumized thicker appearance. I got it as a gwp but was impressed with it, i like the lash comb because its the kind that gives a more full effect due to the style of the wand. the wand has a lot to do with how the mascara itself applies. It smells like mascara, nothing bad at all. I like the navy and gold tube. It was good and I would try another one. Not sure i have to have it as I would like to try it again months later to see if my feeling are the same towards it but i would be happy to have another gwp to use to finalize my decision!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2011 4:28:00 PM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this in sample size (as part of an offer from a magazine), and although I was initially pleasantly suprised by the effects of this mascara, it being the first Estee Lauder mascara i've ever tried, I just feel it still doesn't match-up to my regular favourite mascaras.
I like the fact this mascara does exactly what it says its supposed to, as a 'Bold Volume Lifting Mascara', it gives a very clean and non-clumpy result of beautifully separated lashes and decent lifting effect (I don't have the steadiest of hands but when I applied it to my mum's lashes it went on perfectly-where as with most mascaras I ususally I get it smudged allover her eyelid, lol), and this mascara is suitable to wear for pretty much any occasion whether it be office, casual daytime or an evening out.
However, the thing I really dislike about this mascara is the chemical cosmetic smell it gives off when you use it. Its quite noticeable and unpleasant (especially when you compare it to the lovely fragranced smell of my GA Eyes to Kill Excess Mascara), and for a luxury product, from a long standing luxury brand, I feel Estee Lauder should really know better and at least be able to diguise the smell! Kinda feel that they created a drugstore style mascara with a high-end price tag!
I like my mascaras to be pretty high impact and although this one delivers what it claims, it lacks the intense and sultry eye look. And it didn't look as classy on my mum as her usual (Chanel Inimitable). There are sooo many mascaras on the market and i'm simply not blown away by this one.