April 19, 2014 | 1584 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Sonia Kashuk - Blending Sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2009 3:23:00 AM More reviews by illekkelli

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I think this sponge is fantastic. I will never use a foundation brush to apply foundation as long as I have this. The reviewers that said it was falling apart after a week and not that different from wedge sponges could not be more wrong. With proper care, this sponge is supposed to last 3 months (I believe). I'm on month one and have not had any of the deterioration that others have mentioned. It's not falling apart and it is supper simple to clean. I use a gentle soap, but also pour a little makeup remover on it and then gently sqeeze and rinse. I use this for foundation, concealer and cream blushes. It leaves a really smooth look and you can reach most areas and do not have to use your fingers to blend perfectly. There is a technique to using this and maybe the people that were having problems weren't using it properly. It's not used as a typical wedge sponge. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2009 11:10:00 AM More reviews by sharee20

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can't see myself ever applying foundation with anything besides this ever again. I had been using smashbox's foundation brush, but this sponge really allows you to control your coverage so easily. I love the shape of the sponge. I use the point under my eyes and around my nose. I notice my foundation doesnt settle into lines anymore when I use this. I also seem to use a lot less foundation using this.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2009 12:38:00 AM More reviews by ash1077

I must say this is an amazing way to apply foundation. Gives me great coverage and I only have to use a little foundation. So I love that I am not wasting to much anymore. I would recommand that anyone who has not tried it, do so asap!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/13/2009 12:28:00 AM More reviews by meki1000

I don't really review often but it seems like there wasn't enough reviews to point out some major differences between the two sponges so I wanted point those out.

First, the obvious difference is the density. I believe the Sonia Kashuk sponge is made of latex and the original blender (I'm guessing) is made from some type of low density memory foam. Since it's latex, the SK sponge is much denser so it's not as springy. It takes many more pats or bounces/stipples to get the same effect as the original and even at that it didn't seem to get as fine of an airbrushing effect as the original. The SK version is also a pain to clean (it only takes a few seconds to get the original completely clean). I first tried using the Beauty Blender cleanser that I received with the original but it didn't seem strong enough and I ended using way too much product so I tried using some tea tree shampoo which was a little easier. I didn't have to use so much product but it still left a slight stain and I was afraid that if I kept squeezing at it that it would crumble so I let the slight discoloration remain. Secondly, just like those cheap latex wedge sponges, the SK one eventually will crumble because it's made of latex. The only advantage is the shape but that can only take it so far. After only a week of use it already started to crumble. I do clean all my sponges after every use but everyone should so manufacturers should take that into account. After all, this is not marketed like one of those disposable wedges that you usually only get one or two uses out of. I ended up trashing it because I don't need little pieces of sponge sticking to my face. I've had the original forever and I'm still on my first one. I haven't had to break out my second one yet and that's with daily use.

Bottom line... Is the SK sponge awful? No but it's not that much better than a regular latex sponge and for $9.99 it should be. If you are a fan of latex sponges or if you prefer denser sponges then perhaps you may choose this sponge over the original but personally, I think it's well worth it to buy the original and I really like the fact that they are recyclable. If it's the price that puts you off then think of it this way, I only got a weeks worth of use out of the SK version and sure it might have gone for longer and I could have just brushed off any bits of sponge but that's just a pain. Also, Sephora has a set of Beauty Blender sponges that you can purchase for $25.95 and since you only need one sponge you could split the cost with a friend who wants one as well and that would be about $12.98 each and the SK sponge costs $9.99 so that's only be a difference of $2.99. It's really worth it because I promise the original will last you a very long time. If you get it when Sephora has a friends and family discount or some other promo (like they just had recently) then it would be cheaper than the SK sponge.

***Tip*** The cleanser isn't bad but it is really over priced for what it is so if you're watching your budget I would just skip it and use a gentle shampoo. Tea tree oil naturally has antibacterial properties so does natural lavender oil (which is what this cleanser has in it) so if you're concerned about that look for shampoos with those ingredients or just add a small amount to any gentle shampoo. Also, if you like the cleanser pump you can just purchase an empty nail pump dispenser for really cheap which I've seen at Sally's or even on eBay (just search nail pump or nail dispenser) and then fill it with your own cleanser because that's what they use, the only difference it that they have their logo printed on it. I hope this helps. Good luck!

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2009 2:53:00 PM More reviews by 15963juicyfruit

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is just amazing!
it saves product and covers great!
But while looking sheer!
i don't even use my foundation brush anymore

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2009 12:46:00 PM More reviews by Jeii

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After seeing a video (youtube) on Kim K. getting her makeup done, The MUA was using this odd funny looking sponge (Beauty Blender). He raved how great it was and how it gave a flawless airbrushed look. I soooooo wanted to get it !! I went to a near by Sephora and searched like a crazed woman ( lol ). Nothing. I went on Sephora's website to figure out that they were ONLY selling the BB online. I didn't want to bother ordering it to be honest. After seeing more tutorials on youtube I came across a girl who had a dupe sponge for the BB. She didn't say where she purchased it from so I was kinda pissed lol. After viewing some more tutorials another girl did a review on it and FINALLY mentioned where she had purchased it. The next day I rushed myself to Target to only find just ONE MORE SK BLENDING SPONGE LEFT(Blue). What a relief !! That same night I tried it out with my MAC SFF foundation and I was blown away.....literally ! It blended sooo well and the finish was extra flawless. It almost made me say bye bye to my 187 & 109 lol. I highly recommend this sponge it's a must have in your make-up case !!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2009 1:03:00 AM More reviews by xBrazenx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't know what magic is infused in to this little piece of rubbery-goodness, but I love it!

I use this damp and it blends in my foundation like nothing else. No streaks or patches that are thicker than others. The price doesn't bother me, because I figure that I will get several weeks/months use out of this before I need to repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2009 7:41:00 PM More reviews by kpaul1016

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have never used a sponge for application prior to this product, and I cannot believe the difference it made! Using the "bouncing" motion makes your foundation look as if it were airbrushed! Amazing, I love it!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2009 2:13:00 PM More reviews by tristitia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I usually apply my foundation with my fingers - no time for stippling, for sure - but I couldn't help the curiosity I had for this thing after reading all the raves for it, and broke down and purchased it.
And I'm glad I did - I was amazed at how my foundation looked this morning! So natural, so airbrushed! And my concealer - so perfectly blended! And I've not needed any touchups for shine today, either - coincidence?
It does soak up a ton of product, though - I used about 4 pumps (even with the sponge dampened) instead of my usual 1.5 This isn't a big deal for me, because I don't usually use expensive foundation - but if I were paying $40/bottle for something I'd certainly feel otherwise...
Plus, I think $9 for a little piece of colored rubber is a bit much - but since it works so nicely, I would repurchase...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2009 11:27:00 AM More reviews by CHLee916

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was reading posts on the BF (Beauty Forum) about the beauty blender. I read on it and called a local retailer and they were out. :(

I did some research on sponges (as I am NOT a fan of them) and saw a lot on this one. Some good, some not so good.

As usual, I forgot about it until I went into Target last night with partner. I always look at cosmetics (much to her chagrin) and I spied the little sponge all by its lonesome. Seriously, it was the only one left and just sitting on a random shelf.

I picked it up along with the SK nude blush and concealer palette and walked around the store. I opted not to buy it but later went back and purchased it (I have the purple one).

I opened it in the car and evaluated it. It smells terrible and I figured I'd dampen in and it would smell better...WRONG!

For the record, it's a tie for me applying foundation - either my fingers or the MAC 187 brush and then touch up lightly with a cheap sponge. This morning I wet the sponge and applied my foundation with my fingers and used the sponge to blend in. I dabbed it in my concealer as well and blended. The smell is awful but it did a pretty decent job of blending but nothing spectacular or so I thought until I went the restroom at work and saw my skin. The foundation just was impeccable and airy looking.

I'm back - I watched several tutorials on YouTube and I tried it this morning. Stipling the foundation and then bouncing/patting the foundation on the sponge and the difference was amazing. I pulled out of the garage and checked my foundation in the rear view mirror in natural light and was blown away. I've got a couple of boo boos that I can't seem to shake and you couldn't even see them this morning. The look is flawless and the ease of operation is just as flawless as the look.

I like the shape of this one - almost like grooves on the sides for a great grip. It is easy to handle and gets corners and just covers amazingly. It is one of the smoothest looks I've had.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No