Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation

3.7

Talc , Zea Mays (Corn) Starch , Zinc Stearate , Dimethicone , Boron Nitride , Zeolite , Methylparaben , Sorbic Acid , Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer , Propylparaben , Tetrasodium EDTA , Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate , BHT , Iron Oxides , Mica

So far this is my favorite mineral foundation! I first tried Bare Escentuals and felt that it was a little bit drying on my skin, even though I have combination skin. I tried a few drugstore brands and didn't really care for them either. I recently tried the Mary Kay foundation and decided to purchase it. I'm on my second container now and love it! I feel that it really blends into my skin better than other brands. It helps even out my combination skin. The color is perfect!

If you want a heavier coverage, I would recommend using this in ADDITION to a liquid foundation. Even though the coverage is buildable, in my opinion, it's more of a sheer to medium coverage. I also prefer to use my Bare Escentual brushes rather than the Mary Kay brush I purchased. I usually apply some Mary Kay liquid foundation on areas that need a bit more coverage, then use a fluffy brush to apply the mineral foundation all over (a light coat of it). I've been very happy with it and would definitely continue purchasing!

When I wear foundations, I like sheer coverage. I don't like to look like I'm wearing heavy makeup, and any spots I cover with a dab of concealer. So, I gravitate towards mineral foundations for the light, buildable coverage. I've tried several, and this one from Mary Kay actually has better coverage than others. I usually wear a light coverage, but you could add more for a good medium coverage. This hasn't made me break out at all, and feels good going on, nice finish and good at evening out my skin tone. Toward the end of the day, I usually get a little shiny, but I've noticed I don't look quite as shiny with this than with other minerals I've tried. I use the next to lightest shade, but I don't use the Mary Kay foundation brush. The brush from The Body Shop is MUCH better!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I find it very difficult to wear foundation. I train horses, and I am obviously outside all of the time, and it is near to impossible to find a foundation that I can wear and it not be obvious that I am wearing it. I was talked into buying this by a customer whose best friend sells it, and I actually like it. I've tried several mineral foundations and I couldn't stand them. BE was shiny and obvious, Jane Iredale was okay, but after a few hours became blotchy, there was another one I forget the name of and it was terrible from the word go. This really looks like I'm not wearing makeup, but my skin is even-toned and smooth looking with no shininess. It seems to last all day; at least by the end of the day my skin is still even looking and doesn't look faded or blotchy. This doesn't highlight all the fine, downy hairs on my face that seem to show up when other foundation is on. It applies very easily, and I use the MAC stippling brush to apply it....if I use my kabuki it applies a too heavy coverage that seems to be masklike to me. I don't want to look perfect, because you just CAN'T when you are outside...but I do want to look like I have good healthy skin. I want to be pretty! All in all I am quite satisfied with how I look when wearing this outside, satisfied with the color and the price.

I am a dark skinned African American, and this powder made me look deceased. I like the coverage, but MK has a long way to go to get the color (there are only two colors for African American's) right.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I'm on the fence about this product. It's ok, I'm not sure if I would buy it again.

Pros:
- comes in a super light colour for fair Irish maidens like me
- did not make me break out
- price was pretty decent at $20 CAD

Cons:
- did not cover as well as BE (I mixed it with a darker shade of BE for the summer and to get more coverage)
- the lid has a ring around the inside, so all the product got stuck there when I swirled my brush

I like the flat top brush and found it better than the BE one (that comes with the starter kit).

Excellent MMU. There is none of the shine that BE has and none of the itchiness and irritation also experienced with BE. As an older lady, this product does not settle in lines like other MMUs, it kind of reflects light. The price is not bad at $18, there is more product in the jar than you get for $25 with BE. There is a good selection of shades compared to other brands of foundation (Clinique comes to mind) so I was able to get a perfect match. The jar lasted me for more than 6 months and that is with every day use. Did not like the brush which is sold separately for $10, I use Sonia Kashuk's flat blusher brush or Eco Tools bronzer brush, both of which work great. Have repurchased several times. UPDATE: Added an extra star for the new packaging because the lid can now be turned so that the powder does not come out.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I just recently (about a month) began using this product so I will give my initial opinion and will update later. This foundation is really pretty! It sits on my skin like silk. The application is easier than any other mmu I've tried. I just sweep it on with a flat top brush and get great coverage without all the buffing. Now, to be fair, this powder foundation is exactly that: a loose powder foundation. This is NOT a true mineral foundation, but that's why I love it so much! I've been on/off the mmu bandwagon several times over the past 3 years and until a month ago didn't realize that the MMU was causing the breakouts I've been battling for the last 3 years! Initially it was the bismuth oxychloride in BE that caused itching and moderate cystic acne. Stopped using that and switched to bismuth free minerals. No itching with those but still tons of acne and clogged pores. I literally have spent hundreds on skin care thinking it was my cleansers, moisturizers, etc..Finally I talked to a derm and they told me that physical sunscreens (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide) are occlusive, barrier forming ingredients and in large amounts (found in most mmu) can suffocate the skin and clog pores for some people and cause acne in an otherwise acne-free individual. Interesting. But, I digress. Back before the mmu craze I always wore regular powder foundations with no problems. So, in all, this foundation is working beautifully! Thanks for reading my rant! Will update later.
UPDATE 9-29-09 So I've tried the BE Matte and I'm really liking it better than this right now (see my review). We'll see if I come back to this one. Still giving it a good rating though :)

I didn't like this mineral foundation at all. I used Bare Minerals before, and I'll be going back. There is just no staying power at all. I noticed that the main ingredient is talc, which isn't even in Bare Minerals at all. I won't even be finishing the container.

I love this powder. I usually use it as a finishing powder, not a foundation. I do sometimes use it alone as a foundation like on the weekends or when I'm just going to the grocery store or something. Would likely buy again when I run out... which based on the size of the packaging will not be soon at all!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

This product was not something i really got excited about. i got this in the bronze and it resulted in a just right shade except it was ashy. It ends up having a matte kind of finish which I hate, as it takes away moisture from the products i used before. I love the brush that it come with though. I feels so good. I like that it doesn't have a too heavy coverage. Just a mid kind of coverage which I love. My one true complain in this is that it can be drying and it makes my skin look ashy. Aside from that, I would have loved this product.