Mary Kay Mineral Powder Foundation

3.7

Talc , Zea Mays (Corn) Starch , Zinc Stearate , Dimethicone , Boron Nitride , Zeolite , Methylparaben , Sorbic Acid , Ethylene/Methacrylate Copolymer , Propylparaben , Tetrasodium EDTA , Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate , BHT , Iron Oxides , Mica

on 10/14/2009 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I find it very difficult to wear foundation. I train horses, and I am obviously outside all of the time, and it is near to impossible to find a foundation that I can wear and it not be obvious that I am wearing it. I was talked into buying this by a customer whose best friend sells it, and I actually like it. I've tried several mineral foundations and I couldn't stand them. BE was shiny and obvious, Jane Iredale was okay, but after a few hours became blotchy, there was another one I forget the name of and it was terrible from the word go. This really looks like I'm not wearing makeup, but my skin is even-toned and smooth looking with no shininess. It seems to last all day; at least by the end of the day my skin is still even looking and doesn't look faded or blotchy. This doesn't highlight all the fine, downy hairs on my face that seem to show up when other foundation is on. It applies very easily, and I use the MAC stippling brush to apply it....if I use my kabuki it applies a too heavy coverage that seems to be masklike to me. I don't want to look perfect, because you just CAN'T when you are outside...but I do want to look like I have good healthy skin. I want to be pretty! All in all I am quite satisfied with how I look when wearing this outside, satisfied with the color and the price.

on 9/20/2009 4:40:00 PM

I am a dark skinned African American, and this powder made me look deceased. I like the coverage, but MK has a long way to go to get the color (there are only two colors for African American's) right.

on 9/16/2009 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I'm on the fence about this product. It's ok, I'm not sure if I would buy it again.

Pros:
- comes in a super light colour for fair Irish maidens like me
- did not make me break out
- price was pretty decent at $20 CAD

Cons:
- did not cover as well as BE (I mixed it with a darker shade of BE for the summer and to get more coverage)
- the lid has a ring around the inside, so all the product got stuck there when I swirled my brush

I like the flat top brush and found it better than the BE one (that comes with the starter kit).

on 9/14/2009 4:30:00 PM

Excellent MMU. There is none of the shine that BE has and none of the itchiness and irritation also experienced with BE. As an older lady, this product does not settle in lines like other MMUs, it kind of reflects light. The price is not bad at $18, there is more product in the jar than you get for $25 with BE. There is a good selection of shades compared to other brands of foundation (Clinique comes to mind) so I was able to get a perfect match. The jar lasted me for more than 6 months and that is with every day use. Did not like the brush which is sold separately for $10, I use Sonia Kashuk's flat blusher brush or Eco Tools bronzer brush, both of which work great. Have repurchased several times. UPDATE: Added an extra star for the new packaging because the lid can now be turned so that the powder does not come out.

on 9/1/2009 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I just recently (about a month) began using this product so I will give my initial opinion and will update later. This foundation is really pretty! It sits on my skin like silk. The application is easier than any other mmu I've tried. I just sweep it on with a flat top brush and get great coverage without all the buffing. Now, to be fair, this powder foundation is exactly that: a loose powder foundation. This is NOT a true mineral foundation, but that's why I love it so much! I've been on/off the mmu bandwagon several times over the past 3 years and until a month ago didn't realize that the MMU was causing the breakouts I've been battling for the last 3 years! Initially it was the bismuth oxychloride in BE that caused itching and moderate cystic acne. Stopped using that and switched to bismuth free minerals. No itching with those but still tons of acne and clogged pores. I literally have spent hundreds on skin care thinking it was my cleansers, moisturizers, etc..Finally I talked to a derm and they told me that physical sunscreens (titanium dioxide and zinc oxide) are occlusive, barrier forming ingredients and in large amounts (found in most mmu) can suffocate the skin and clog pores for some people and cause acne in an otherwise acne-free individual. Interesting. But, I digress. Back before the mmu craze I always wore regular powder foundations with no problems. So, in all, this foundation is working beautifully! Thanks for reading my rant! Will update later.
UPDATE 9-29-09 So I've tried the BE Matte and I'm really liking it better than this right now (see my review). We'll see if I come back to this one. Still giving it a good rating though :)

on 8/4/2009 10:56:00 AM

I didn't like this mineral foundation at all. I used Bare Minerals before, and I'll be going back. There is just no staying power at all. I noticed that the main ingredient is talc, which isn't even in Bare Minerals at all. I won't even be finishing the container.

on 7/23/2009 11:18:00 PM

I love this powder. I usually use it as a finishing powder, not a foundation. I do sometimes use it alone as a foundation like on the weekends or when I'm just going to the grocery store or something. Would likely buy again when I run out... which based on the size of the packaging will not be soon at all!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

This product was not something i really got excited about. i got this in the bronze and it resulted in a just right shade except it was ashy. It ends up having a matte kind of finish which I hate, as it takes away moisture from the products i used before. I love the brush that it come with though. I feels so good. I like that it doesn't have a too heavy coverage. Just a mid kind of coverage which I love. My one true complain in this is that it can be drying and it makes my skin look ashy. Aside from that, I would have loved this product.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

works good when overtop of foundation but i see really no great covering power without some coverage already present underneath. works good when paired with mk foundation. i feel the same about this as the mk foundation though, its reliable, but im left wanting a bit. also, i question whether this stuff breaks me out. i dont really think it does but i do think that i need to be extra careful with my skin (eg drink lots of water! wash and tone appropriately) when wearing it.

on 5/12/2009 7:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this ever since it came out, I believe in December of 2007. I really like it but at the same time I am always looking for something new and better. It has never broken me out and it looks really natural and is easy to apply. I don't like the brush that came with it though. I use Trish Mcevoy's "The Point" brush, it's small, precise and you don't waste powder like you would when using a bigger brush. I have oily skin and I still have to blot a few times a day but this mineral powder works better than most. I have tried Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden, BE, my latest is MAC Studio Fix which broke me out imediately when I tried it.

It doesn't have really heavy coverage, I would say pretty moderate but I have several steps to my beauty regiment. I use Clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel, followed by their redness relief protective base, Estee Lauder Double Wear concealer and then the mineral powder and bronzer to top it off. I am trying to use a better primer so the powder stays, Proactive Sheer Finish Mattifying Gel and MAC Prep+Prime Face Protect SPF 50 are the ones I am alternating to see which has the best result. I have huge pores and this does not accentuate them at all, in fact I think it makes them look much smaller, unlike Mac Studio Fix. I don't like feeling of liquid foundation so this is the best mineral powder I have found for oily skin/large pores. Ivory 2 works best for me and I am NW20 in MAC. Ivory 2 isn't too yellow or orange on me and doesn't oxidize.