November 25, 2014 | 1850 users online

Treatments (Face) - Walgreens - Alpha Hydroxy Lotion 8%

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2009 10:46:00 AM More reviews by met451

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a really great product. After going to several Walgreens, I managed to find it and have been using it nightly for a few weeks now. I have definitely seen a difference in my skin, mainly that it is so much CLEARER now than before, and less oily in general. I have huge pores, and they look much less noticeable now due to the exfoliating properties of this cream. When I first started using this, I didn't use any moisturizer on top of it and my skin became really dry, now I use moisturizer after applying this, and my skin is smooth, soft and almost flawless without makeup. I can't believe how cheap and effective this is!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2009 3:05:00 AM More reviews by Sheylizabeth

Why are those who did not try the produce rate the product?

anyways,

I like it so far. First try, i applied a thin film because i was afraid my skin would have reaction, and the result, i didn't feel any tingling at all.

Next day, i applied a bit thicker than the day before, and i felt the tingles for a couple of minutes.

it's day 5 now, i have been using it on my face and neck every night, and every morning, i wake up with a soft skin. seems like my acne's clearing up too. although ia m not sure if it's because of this produce since i started to use Oxy wash Benzoyl Peroxide 5% Sensitive at the same time.

But definitely, i wake up with a super soft skin,

I guess the draw back for this product is the packaging. it's not sealed. so i am still kind of afraid to put it on everytime just thinking what if some shoppers before me put their dirty fingers in the cream.....

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2009 9:24:00 PM More reviews by heejoh

Ok, I am now a believer! I have been using this regularly for about 2 months. I saw the reviews on here and couldn't resist. Luckily, the closest Walgreens to me is always deserted, so I had no doubt I would be able to find this. This totally keeps my skin break out free. Seriously. When I stopped using this for a few days and I broke out, I started up again and it cleared it up again. Now I will never stop. Does it erase wrinkles? Hell no. Did it make my acne scar red marks disappear? Hell no again. Maybe eventually, but for me, that hasn't happened. But my skin is fairly blemish free, and I haven't been able to say that for nearly 2 years when I initially started having another horrible adult acne bout. Really nothing worked but eventually, it just sort of subsided a bit. And now that I've added this to my arsenal, it feels like I have some control over my skin again.

It smells like sour glue. It's a strong smell, and it doesn't really go away even after you've got it on, but it's a small price to pay. The jar is ginormous and you get tons of product. I haven't made a dent in this thing... I expect this one jar to last me a couple of years. Here is how I use it: at night, I wash my face with a gentle cleanser. After I dry my face, I dab the tips of my right three fingers and my left three fingers into the cream. I don't grab tons of this stuff, a little goes a long way. Then I tap it onto my skin. DO NOT RUB! I just tap, tap, tap, lightly smacking the cream onto my skin. I avoid my eye area, and just concentrate on my forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin. Again, I do not put this around my eyes, as this stuff thins your skin, and the skin around my eyes is already delicate and thin enough, I do not want that to get any more thin! Then I sleep with this stuff on. I did not have any purging when I started. And the tingling is minimal in the first week. If you put too much on, it will tingle more! So like I said, use this with a light touch. I recommend this for anyone with acne issues. I'm a total skeptic, but I am now a firm believer in this. And for this price, you cannot go wrong!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2009 9:16:00 AM More reviews by klprice1

EDIT: I just copy and pasted this reply I sent to someone else who was worried about the purging process. Figured it couldn't hurt to include it.

I've used a lot of stuff with my skin that's supposed to purge it, mainly retinoids like tazorac and differin. I think I also used green cream at one point. The weird thing is, I NEVER purged with those products, but the walgreens cream purged me like crazy! It was pretty awful. I've never really gotten white or blackheads, but the walgreens cream definitely brought some up.

I don't know if you've stopped because of the purging. Believe me, I can relate so much to the nightmare of awful purging and breakouts, so I don't blame you. All I can tell you is my experience with the stuff, which is great. I can't remember exactly (and i'm too lazy to look at my review) but I'd say I purged for at least 5 days but no longer than 10 days. And man, it was totally worth it. I guess I'll tell you exactly what I did.

First of all, I use my own version of the aspirin/Apple cider vinegar toner. Here's the link: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp?ItemId=458

I think that toner helped a ton with the purging.

I don't always let the toner dry, but it's probably a good idea to. I would pile the walgreens cream on (and I still do), but I really piled it in the beginning to try and get the purging over with sooner. It itched like crazy (again, it still does. If I don't itch my face, it gets better in about 15 minutes).

I can't remember if I've already reviewed the aspirin mask, but I'm going to check that write after I finish that. If it suits your fancy, check out my review for it, because I use the aspirin mask for spot treatments. I think that also has a lot to do with why my skin is relatively clear. I also put neosporin, hydrocortisone cream, the mint julep mask, and slightly liquefy it with visine (the visine helps with inflammation, lol). That's the gist for my spot treatment if you don't want to hassle with the review.

Honestly, I kind of liked the purging because I just wanted the breakouts to be over with. The results, in my opinion, spoke for themselves. After all the hassle of the purge, my skin was beautiful. It was better than it had ever been. I still breakout slightly around that time of the month, but it's nothing like it used to be. I used to get 3 or 4 huge cysts that wouldn't go away for like two weeks! It was so humuliating. Now, with my current routine, I get like one or two, and they're not even noticeable with some good concealer because they don't raise up. They're flat, thank God.

So, to sum up, the walgreens cream is fantastic. However, I definitely consider it to be one part of my essential routine with the toner and spot treatments.

(Original Review) I waited a month to review this so I could give an accurate review. I wish there was a way to explain how awesome I think this stuff is. First off, I've tried everything: tazorac, anti-biotics, clenziderm, drug store items, dept store stuff...literally, EVERYTHING for my acne. It especially flares up around the time of the month w/ several giant cysts on my cheeks or chin (so, pretty much my WHOLE FACE).

This stuff has literally been the first thing to prove effective (along w/ apple cider vinegar/aspirin toner), and I wish I could dance and shout about how happy I am. I only got one cyst on my chin, and it definitely was smaller, more responsive, and not as bad as they've been in the past.

@ first, my skin purged very noticeably for about a week. It was weird, because I didn't purge w/ tazorac. I definitely didn't expect that, but I actually was happy. I usually get awful cystic breakouts, but I was getting whiteheads and blackheads @ first! All the gunk and crap was literally coming to the surface before my eyes...I know that's a sexy image, but back to the review.

It also itches like hell-sometimes I want to take sandpaper to my face-but it'll go away after 30-60 min. Also, it definitely is better if you put on a lighter coat. Also, for the first week and a half I'd say, my skin was a little dry. I'd exfoliate, and then use this cream, and then I'd also use jojoba oil. Then I'd seal it in w/ vaseline, and all that really helped.

So, after all is said and done, here are the differences I see after a month:
1) my scars are significantly , definitely less obvious. They're lighter and appear to be less deep. I'm wearing less makeup-and I literally have worn makeup since I was 12, and I'm 24 (50% of my life). I've worn concealer forever, and now I can get by w/ just light foundation. Crazy.

2) Less breakouts. They're not GONE, but I imagine I'm honing my routine still, and I've seen huge improvements. They heal way faster too, don't get as big, and no red spots remain afterwards. I'd say that's as good as it'll get for me, and that's great, imo.

3) My skin is more radiant/soft/glowy/etc.

Overall, I don't know what they put in this stuff, but wow. I never have luck w/ this kind of thing. Hell, even tazorac was pretty much a bust. I'm a total believer in this walgreens cream tho.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2009 8:50:00 PM More reviews by kmorse4219

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best product! I have tried all kinds of high end to drugstore brands and this is by far the best. It does not make my oily acne prone skin worse and as a matter of fact if I do suffer from a break out it clears right up with this lotion. I only apply it at night before bed and it has made a signifigant difference in my complexion. I have been using it for about a month now and would definately purchase again!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2009 4:12:00 AM More reviews by aquastarz01

i LOVE this product! its has provided me more improvements in my skin then the most expensive brands. I've tried products which would sometimes be valued up to $200. i am on my 2nd jar and the magic hasn't stopped not to mention its last for a while. I've been using it for about 6 months already!! give it a try its not at all expensive :)
-----------UPDATE----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still using this product its is my HG product. It is the only product for me. I recently tried Benzaclin ( I guess i was bored after using this for about 1yr and a half) but it just made my skin worse, so i came back to this and just after one application made it so much better.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2009 9:21:00 AM More reviews by palmtree714

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Thank you all for your helpful comments and reviews. I have lived with my super sensitive, itchy oily skin for years now. Everything I try irritates my skin and just makes it worse. Today, what a difference. Two weeks of using this product before bed, along with some emu oil and I wake up in the morning with soft fresh skin and a HUGE SMILE on my face. This is also one of the cheapest products I have ever bought. The tub is huge and will last me a long time. My HG product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2009 1:01:00 AM More reviews by cuoremia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this stuff! AHAs seem to work great for my skin, and this product is no exception. I have been using it for about a week, once per night and sometimes during the day. It does sting and make my skin itch for several minutes after application, even though my skin is not sensitive.

I can't believe how great my skin looks! The texture is so much smoother, and makeup applies better. Also, I suffered from post acne hyperpigmentation, and the spots are all at least 80% reduced, with some being completely gone. I mean, I've had these same marks for about a year or more! After one week's of use they're almost gone. Amazing!

What's even better is that some of my rolling/pitted scars are beginning to soften (I have them on my temples, the apple of my left cheek, and the middle of my right cheek). I have had these scars for YEARS. I can't believe it. I am in awe of this product. :D I think with continued use, these scars will be gone.

NOTE: For 2 days, I used a bit of this around the eye area, hoping to help the fine lines under my eyes, and it really irritated the skin. The fine lines turned into wrinkles (gasp!) for a day, and now the skin is flaking like crazy. Same thing happened with my neck. Just a word of caution if applying to sensitive skin/areas.

EDIT: It's been about 2 weeks, and I still love this. I have found that my face no longer gets as oily throughout the day. I don't even need to touch up on powder like I used to. Also, my pores are starting to become more refined. My skin still itches and tingles for about 10 minutes after application.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2009 7:05:00 AM More reviews by Scarlett0722

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

After reading the glowing reviews for this product I went out of my way to Walgreens (I'm a CVS-er). I put this product on after I shower (and am not leaving the house) and/or at night before bed. This product spreads very easily, so little is needed. I sort of dab one finger into it and apply - usually takes 1 1/2 dabs to cover my face. It doesn't really have a fragrance to speak of. Initial application of this product will produce mild stinging, within a few applications it all but disappears. When I apply it to my face it sinks in after a bit and I feel dewy (I have combo/oily skin). I find if I pick at my skin - with a blackhead/blemish extractor after applying this product that things purge more readily. The overall result of using this product is more even-toned and refined skin. I find my skin much less blotchy, softer, and fewer blemishes. Note: Anytime you use alpha hydroxy products you are thinning the skin and making it more sensitive to light - sunscreen daily is crucial.

Additionally, I use this product on my upper arms where I have ___(i forget the name of the condition and I'm too tired to google), but it causes bumpy scaly little sort of dry skin bumps. This products sloughs them off and makes for normal feeling skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2009 12:10:00 PM More reviews by kristina5475

Totally true. I contacted Walgreens about this product. It's discontinued. HOWEVER, a lot of times when they discontinue products which sell really well, they are only changing the name and/or packaging of the product. Be patient, the product will be available again soon. Yippee. (I'm glad I stocked up)