November 26, 2014 | 1818 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2013 6:12:00 AM More reviews by jamie_amber

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using 10,000mcg of biotin daily for about 4 months now, in conjuction with a prenatal for healthy hair and nails. I've noticed that both are in much better shape, and have luckily not had the facial acne many others discussed.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 2:21:00 PM More reviews by DLNelson27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought a Rite Aid brand Biotin 1000 mcg for my hair and nails mainly. My nails tear and my hair falls out in my brush and in the shower, and pretty much all over my house. I started taking these pills a little over 4 weeks ago. The first couple days, I had cystic acne on my cheek, but just 1. I didn't think anything of it, and it went away in a couple days. I haven't had any breakouts since. I take only one a day with food and lots of water, and I have started to notice a difference in my hair, nails, and skin. My nails aren't pealing at all, and my hair isn't falling out as much. I know this sounds weird, but the skin on my elbows is totally soft.

I work at a skin care company, so I get facials a lot. My face is already soft and mostly clear, but I have even noticed a difference in my skin. It doesn't break out anymore right before my period, and I use less makeup, if use any cover up at all.

I haven't noticed that my hair or nails are growing any faster, but they are definitely growing stronger. I am thinking about taking 2 pills a day to see if I notice a difference.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2013 2:03:00 AM More reviews by kecola

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If you have acne prone skin take biotin at your own risk! After just two days of taking biotin I could feel all of these hard lumps forming on my face and they were very very painful. A week later they had turned into full on boils. The worst was one right between my eyes that I had to have lanced by a dermatologist. It took two full months to get my face back under control. I still had massive scarring but the boils eventually went away. Mind you, I was literally drinking 9+ bottles of water while taking the biotin and it still didn't help. Beware of this stuff if you have reactive skin. I would hate for anyone else to go through with I did just to get longer hair or nails!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/14/2013 11:11:00 PM More reviews by GiGiQue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Upon the suggestion of my doctor, I purchased some Nature's Blend Biotin, 2500 mcgs. I had read the skin care board so I was prepared to NOT overdue the dosage and to drink LOTS of water. Also, because I have hypothyroidism (the reason for my hair/nail issues), and because I had a Non-Elective, full hysterectomy a couple years ago (as soon as my ovaries were removed my life-long cycstic acne cleared up in mere days) I thought I would escape the hormonal acne that had happened to others who took Biotin. I eat a plant-strong, very clean diet. I took 1 tablet with breakfast, drank a ton of water all day and worked out/performed skin care as usual. I thought, those poor other people had problems, but I won't.

WRONG!!! The third morning I woke up with 2 painful, large cycsts emerging on either side of my chin. I'd forgotten how much those suckers hurt! I thought that maybe they'd actual stop growing and go away if I perservered. NOPE!! I skipped a day, the cysts continued on, so I continued taking it for 3 weeks. More cysts emerged, and now I had painful (and weird) pimples/cysts appearing around the base of my nose and around my mouth, and then backne appeared. (I've never had backne!) I called my doctor and said I was unwilling to go through the cystic acne issues, and asked if the hair/nail results would be worth it. I was told that I shouldn't be having the acne issues because I had no ovaries. I offerred to drive in and show the gross, painful cycts to her in person. She declined.

I have ordered Swanson's 1000 mcg & 300 mcg Biotin, and will give it a very limited try (AFTER my face clears up from this round). I'm praying it will work, as I have limited options for help with my hair & nails. However, I'm not willing to battle cystic acne all over again. Sorry to have posted TMI, but, I thought it may help other women who have had total hysterectomies to know that even w/o their ovaries (and w/o estrogen replacement) they can still get cycstic acne from Biotin (if they are sensitive to it, which apparently I must be). I put "yes" I would buy it again ONLY because I am hoping that the 300 mcg tables will be tolerable--and if they are, then I will continue to use it. I gave it a 3 rating because it didn't get used long enough to help me, and I didn't want to pan it w/o trying a lower dosage first. YMMV.

UPDATE: New cysts stopped popping out on my face 2 days after I stopped the 2500 mcg of biotin. They have been very slow to heal, and are still red & are leaving marks. I took 1 week off, then tried the 1000 mcg tablets for a week; as soon as I updated this review a new round of breakout/cysts started. I've still seen no change/increase in hair/nail growth, except that my sparce eyebrows have grown thicker (hmmm... not exactly what I'd hoped for, LOL). I have stopped using Biotin and won't be using it again. I wish it had worked for me. : (

Newest Update: A glutton for punishment, I tried the 300mcg biotin tablets. Call me desperate; call me older and wishing for thicker hair and "normal" nails.... well, after 2 weeks, just call me cystic-face. OUCH! And that's after a nice long break from the last round with 1000 mcg. Even 300 mcg won't work for me. :( I tossed them all. Am sooo disappointed.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2013 11:21:00 PM More reviews by LoveKnits

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was initially interested in biotin, because my hair has been shedding for years. The initial brand I bought at the local health food store was 1000mcg per pill. I'd read about acne stemming from usage, so I was ready going into it. Literally over night I woke up to 3-4 little whiteheads. I rarely get pimples. Just to test, I took two more pills that day and the next day there were more. I stopped using them, and decided to order a different brand from iHerb dot com. They arrived last week, 5000mcg pills. I haven't had a pimple with this new brand. I'm not prone to acne anyway, but I wonder if even different brands have different temperaments?! I haven't been using it long enough to notice results on hair or nails, but as far as acne goes it might just take some shopping around?! I'll come back in a few months to discuss results of my long term biotion use...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2013 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Popcornshrimp

Cons-
Higher dose made huge, blotchy, welt looking pimples.(I've never had a problem with acne...or pimples that look this scary)
Pills are big and have an after taste (Spring Valley Hair, Skin and Nails)

Pros-
Lot's of good stuff comes with it like collagen (the brand I got)
Made dry skin/ psoriasis look better
Inexpensive

I bought the Spring Valley Hair, Skin and Nails from Walmart for around 6 dollars. It has 1000mcg (3mg) of Biotin in 3 pills. I started taking 5 pills a day because I read an article on how higher doses are suppose to help with a whole bunch of other conditions. Luckily, I happened to see this page just browsing. I rarely ever get big red spider bite looking pimples...One popped up the other day, didn't think anything of it, thought I maybe got bit by something or my new towelettes were doing it...Couple days later, another one....today a huge one sprouted in a two hour span at a salon. Anyway, lots of reviewers are having the same problem so I'm 89% positive this may be the cause. It only started doing it when I upped the dosage (I hope/think). I've been taking it for about 2 weeks and the only difference I've noticed is that dry skin looks less crunchy around the elbows. I'm a nail biter and I just chopped off 3 inches of hair today so I can't really say if it works for nails or hair. I will probably buy it again because it's cheap and has other goodies in it, IF the giant red splotch pimples go away.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2013 1:03:00 AM More reviews by snitchlit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought the whole foods brand of biotin (1000 mcg) and I've been taking it for about a week so far. I was really nervous about taking it because of all the things I'd heard about it causing acne, but as someone who has struggled with severe skin issues her entire life (I used to have really terrible cystic acne: had to go on Accutane for it), I can say that I've seen a HUGE improvement in my skin since I started on biotin. I went from having breakouts all over my face to having clear skin within days (seriously, not an exaggeration).
I started taking biotin to try to help grow out my hair faster (I got a pixie cut in early September and I've been growing it out ever since). I haven't seen a huge, drastic change in terms of hair length, but I've only been taking it for a week, so we'll see what happens long-term. Even if this supplement doesn't do anything for my hair, I'll probably keep taking it because it benefits my skin so much.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2013 8:02:00 PM More reviews by auramei

A year or two ago, I picked up a bottle of 60 x 1000mg Biotin pills and started taking them daily for faster hair growth. To my dismay, I started breaking out on my chin with CYSTIC ACNE. Oh, those were so painful and ugly. I could not figure out why because I don't usually get cystic acne. I started researching what biotin does to some people and I learned that everyone can tolerate biotin differently. When I take multivitamins, where biotin is included in a much lesser dosage (maybe 1500-300mg), I am OK. However, anything over 500mg, and my skin freaks out. If you are getting unusual cystic acne, you may be experience the same thing. Stop taking biotin, and once your acne clears up, try it again in a much smaller dosage - only if you really need to. There are topical ways to improve your hair's health and growth, such as using natural essential oil masks.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2013 5:02:00 AM More reviews by SophiaaaXo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hi Ladies!
So I recently cut my hair shoulder length(which I regret) and was desperately wanting it to grow fast. A couple of my cousins suggested BIOTIN. So I was like why not? I went to Walmart and bought the Spring Valley brand( it was a green bottle with little-easy to swallow white gel like pills) for like 6$(in AZ)... I believe it contained 60, good for 2 months if you take the suggested amount 2/day 5000mg. I just started taking it about 4 days ago so I really haven't such much results. Although I'm hoping I do with in a month. I haven't had any acne yet either... The pills are very easy to take so they're perfect. I do hope to see some results. I'll keep you ladies updated... Praying it works!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by Sam3215

I'm an 18yr old girl and. I have been taking 2 pills a day, and I have noticed some acne I never had before. My nails and hair are growing so fast. I will lower my dose to one pill a day so I dont break out as much