Biotin (All brands)

3.5

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

My first review ever! So I bought 1000 mcg Biotin tablets a month ago and started using them. I bought mine from the Target Up and Up brand (100 tablets). I usually take 2 tablets per day with 2 glasses of water. At night. I started religiously taking them this week after a break at the beginning of the month. I started taking them again because I was getting eczema on my neck. And me taking these religiously for the eczema has helped TONS. It doesn't itch anymore and I can't even feel it! This is a miracle! As for my hair, it's stronger and my natural root color is starting to show again and they are getting a bit kinky! As for breakouts, I have oily acne prone skin and when I first started taking these at the beginning of the moth, yes I did get cystic acne. But, my skin is now brighter, more supple, and smoother! Love this! Oh and my biotin was just $2.72!

on 4/27/2013 7:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I did A LOT of research prior to purchasing this. The reviews were so mixed I decided to just take the plunge. What did I have to lose? (Apart from my money, but then again I managed to get 2 bottles in a buy one get one free offer!)

I have now been taking these since the end of January (1000mcg). I definitely noticed an increase in hair growth very quickly and in the nearly 3 months of taking biotin my hair has grown substantially. PROOF this works: I have had a 'bald patch' on the right side of my hairline for as long as I can remember and I never used to like wearing my hair up/straight back because my hairline was 'wonky'. Since taking biotin the hair there has been filling in for the first time *ever*. In fact there are new baby hairs all along my hairline, about 2 inches long, nearly as long as a fringe/bangs! That's proof enough for me. Friends who usually (playfully) tease me about having slow-growing hair have commented on the fact my hair is getting long and my boyfriend, who is a hairdresser has said my hair seems stronger. I took off one lippie because if I take the amount it says on the bottle (says to take up to 2 a day) I get bad headaches, which apparently is a common side effect of biotin... I now take one a day which is fine. My advice would be to try it out for yourself and see if it works for you, you really don't have that much to lose.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I have 1000 mcg tablets which I began taking twice a day, spaced out to prevent losing all the vitamin in my urine. I did this for maybe 4 or 5 days and then forgot for a few days...suddenly I'm breaking out on my cheeks and back. I normally have no acne at all other than around my period, but it's definitely not that time of the month and I have at least 4 pimples. Sadly, unless I can figure out why exactly biotin causes breakouts and figure out a way around it, I won't try this again.

on 4/8/2013 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I buy Nature's Bounty brand at Wal-Mart for $7 for a bottle of 100 tables with 1000mg each. I started taking one tablet every day and broke out horrible. Scaled it back to one tablet every 3 days, worked up to every day and gradually worked up to 5 tablets or 5000mg every day. Take this with a regular multi-vitamin or it will break you out. I always had thin and bendy nails. They're now quite a bit harder and are still bendy but less prone to breakage. So make them grow longer make sure you get your heart rate up several times a day to get your blood flowing.

on 4/5/2013 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

UPDATE! 7/20/2013
Well I got super lazy with taking these but did notice quicker hair growth. I've I ever get to being consistent with this, I know it'll work greatly.

Just started taking a couple of days ago. I purchased the Spring Valley brand from Walmart (I believe it's distributed only by Walmart) for $2.94..
My hair is very fine, kinky asian straight, and naturally black!
These pills I bought are really small like the size of an Aleve tablet and is a gel capsule which makes it easier to swallow too!! It comes with 150 pills 1,000mcg (or 1mg) each. I started off with a low dosage because I've read that many people get breakouts from taking higher dosages and want to avoid that route

Will update later!!!

on 4/4/2013 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

All I have to say is that for me this was acne in a bottle! Holy cow, it caused the biggest acne breakout that I've ever had! It started to clear up the day after I stopped taking it. Take at your own risk if you are sensitive. I've researched and some say that if you take a B vitamin it will stop the acne, I'm not trying it but that may help some!

on 3/31/2013 7:27:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Add me to the group of reviewers who developed acne from taking Biotin ...

I never get cystic acne, I rarely break out and I have dry-normal skin. My skin care routine is simple: Purity Cleanser, PTR Unwrinkle Cream, PTR Unrinkle Peel Pads 5-7x week, manual/chemical exfoliation 2x week, and SPF30 with Vitamin C every morning.

I've been on Biotin for 4 days and have 2 large cystic bumps. :/

on 3/28/2013 11:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I use the Eu Natural Biotin 5000 mcg (search for it on Amazon) and it has been working great. Much healthier and fuller hair, and my nails have also become stronger. I take it every day with lunch and a full glass of water. Right now, I'm growing about an inch to my hair length every month.

There are quite a few different brands out there so it may take going through a few to find the one that works for you. They aren't all created equally! Some aren't potent enough, others can make you break out, and a lot of them are made in China.

on 3/25/2013 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

NC25 Chinese, acne prone.

I bought a bottle Nature's Bounty from Costco after seeing a blogger rave about it for stronger nails (mine were bendy and starting to peel without understanding why at the time). Took the bottle home, read the MUA reviews and saw the potential acne trigger but figured you never know til you try so only did low dosage of 1 pill per day....

Used it for about 3 weeks, and cystic city! Took a few weeks to clear up. So yes it's true, can trigger acne. No bueno for me.

on 3/23/2013 5:00:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've been using Biotin for about 4 months now, starting on 2,500 mcg and now I'm on 10,000 after gradually working my way up. My nails are super strong and my hair is growing faster than usual and in better condition (not so thin and less split ends). I did experience some acne at the start but not anymore, however I have been using Sweet Almond oil and that was what cleared my skin up. I have now advanced onto Paula's choice and that is sorting out blackheads :) If you want to see results you need to up the dosage and be prepared to wait about 2-3 months to see results as that is about how long it takes for most supplements to starting working in the body.

I buy my biotin online at iherb.com as it is way cheaper than trying to find it in New Zealand, you can use my discount code for $10 off a $40 purchase... DWQ834

Popular Treatments