July 29, 2014 | 1840 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2010 9:19:00 PM More reviews by Cyberglam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

UV3 (Ultra-violet black)
Amazing color, they better not discontinue ;)
I used to dye my hair a flat jet black, with no color undertones. (Clairol perfect 10) I liked it, but it had no shine and was really boring. So, I switched to UV3 by L'oreal, and ever since have been getting compliments on my color! It's still black, but under the light has a dark purple shine. (Really shiny!) I'm much happier with this color, it is more special and eye-catching. Also, the quality of the product seems to be noticeably and incredibly better. My hair feels like it has had a treatment, not chemically treated.
PS. For the first day, the roots area of your hair is brighter immediately after coloring. (Just like anytime you dye your hair.) But it "calms down" and matches the rest of the hair by the next day.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2010 6:25:00 PM More reviews by FancyShmancyBlonde

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have this review under another heading for this hair color... I am copying and pasting my review here...

I will ALWAYS use this hair color.... I had been having my color done at the salon when I first went gray because I had no clue.... but I got so sick and tired of laying out $105 dollars (plus tips) every four weeks and for what, I was never really crazy about the color and it was never consistent... one week it would be a little lighter then the next time it would be darker then one time it was too ash and the next too gold and on and on and on.... so one day I decided enough was enough and went out to the store and got a box of color.... my mother years and years ago always used Loreal Preference so that's why I chose it... my natural hair color was golden blonde growing up and that's just the color I use, 8G Golden Blonde.... my hair is a beautiful believable golden blonde color and it's not damaged at all.... I get compliments on the color a lot and asked where I get my color done. I do my roots every 2 weeks because my hair grows fast and I do not like to see those ugly roots so I use the touch-up method just like it tells you to do on the box of color and I have perfect results all of the time... my hair is in great condition, nice and soft and silky.... some girls make the mistake of covering their whole entire head in hair dye every single time they need to do their roots and it's such a mistake... there is no need to keep applying color to already colored hair.... all you do is just damage your hair and keep making it darker and darker and darker... once you do the initial all over coloring all you need to do is touch up your roots every 4 to 6 weeks or in my case every 2 weeks, but just the roots! Read the box of color and follow all directions.... I think you hear about all of the horror stories because those people did not follow the directions... like for instance, you should stay within 2 shades lighter or darker than your natural color.... and when you choose the box of color turn it over and look to see YOUR starting color and the result, if you do not see YOUR starting color then there is no way to know what your result will be... just follow all of the directions and you will have a pleasent home hair coloring experience! HAPPY COLORING!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2010 4:11:00 PM More reviews by echo2000

Since this was rated high by Consumer Reports for coloring gray hairs I tried it. I have thick black Asian hair with a few grays. I bought the light ash brown, the first time I left it on for 20 or so minutes. My hair turned to a nice dark brown but none of the gray was covered. About 5 weeks later I gave it a second try, same color but let it on for 30 minutes. Again I got the nice dark brown but AGAIN it did absolutely nothing to cover any of the grays.

This is very dissappointing since the Natural Instincts did nothing either and now I have no idea what WILL work on my hair. I may just have to go back to my colorist and pay $$$ to cover my grays! YIKES!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2010 12:12:00 AM More reviews by volcanoeater

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Inherited this product in Light Ash Brown 6A. Here's the deal-io: I have naturally very dark brown/black hair with subtle lighter brown highlights (sometimes; I live near the beach, so lots of sun exposure and other variables). I bleached it a while back and dyed it dark blonde with Natural Instincts, I think. Hair looked decent enough but when the roots started growing in, I decided to jump ship entirely (I'm easily discouraged from maintenance, haha) and go to a darker color where my roots wouldn't stand out so much. Honestly, I expected a darker brown color than was indicated for me on the box because that's just generally my luck with hair color products. But this product really nailed the color (not on the model, but the swatches on the back), which impressed the heck out of me. Granted, I realized I just wanted to go back to my normal color afterward, but I'm very impulsive and it's not at all to be blamed on the quality of the product.

What I really wanted was a product that would color but not blanket my hair. I mean, keep the natural highlights. And stayed they did (more subtle)! I started my 25 minute timing of the dye as soon as I started applying, if that makes any difference. For the record, I'm 20, so no grays - can't help ya there. But the color was very pretty, had good dimension to it.

Now, I read a LOT of reviews before using the product, and have this to say about the recurring comments: my hair did NOT get brassy/orange/red, and it has done this with other products. The fumes were NOT overpowering (in my opinion, but some people are more sensitive to that, I suppose); there were standard hair dye smells. My hair WAS quite dry after I dyed it though, moreso than with other products. So, I deep conditioned and let it towel dry, and now it's nice and soft.

I was gonna take before and after pictures, but I can't find my camera. If I do, I'll at least take an 'after' picture, haha. Hope this helps, ladies.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2010 4:06:00 AM More reviews by VeraVioletta

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this dye in Natural Black after reading a glowing review in Consumer Reports. Disappointing. It faded after two washes. It never even really looked black, it looked very dark brown, and my hair was medium brown before dyeing. The result was also very patchy, which I would blame on the application if not for the fact that all of the patches are at the tips of the front parts of my hair, and those parts almost look LIGHTER than my hair was pre-application, if that's possible. The sad part is, I sprung for what I consider to be expensive hair dye specifically because I wanted it to be a dark, long-lasting black. The only redeeming quality this product had was the conditioning creme, which made my hair very soft and healthy-feeling.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/22/2010 10:41:00 PM More reviews by onetreehill23

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought Medium Golden Brown. My hair is the darkest shade of brown you can have without it being black, so I wanted to lighten up for the summer, and if anything I was worried that this would make my hair too light, because the package looks a lot lighter than my hair, but after coloring, my roots are dark brown with a cherry red tint, and the rest of my hair looks exactly the same as before I colored it. I'm really dissapointed because I wanted to go lighter, and I bought two boxes because my hair is thick, so I just feel like this was a waste of time and money. It's not an ugly color (the roots are not that noticible) but it looks exactly the same! And the box said that it would bring out golden tones, while some of their other boxes said red so I thought I was safe, but the roots turned redish anyway. The only good thing I have to say is that my hair is really soft after coloring and not damaged at all, so if you can get the actual color right you don't have to worry about ruining your hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2010 5:06:00 PM More reviews by bjyahr

I used L'Oreal Superior Preference in Medium Ash Brown. I am new to dying my hair at home, but it was just getting too expensive because I really need to color every 4 weeks because of the grays. I first tried Clairol's Perfect 10 in light ash brown- which was good, but faded fast, had a little too much red, and did not cover my grays completely. This time I used L'Oreal and I couldn't be happier with the results. My hair is soft and shiny. Medium Ash brown is dark, but not black (which I was afraid of!), very close to my natural hair color, and has no red undertones. It is multi-dimensional color - not flat all. It also covered all my gray hair. I will definitely be using this again. (Consumer Reports also just released a review on hair color and Superior Preference ranked highly.)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2010 11:22:00 PM More reviews by cmerriott

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Colour was amazingly exactly as promised. TL61 was great, hair turned out soft and not feeling damaged. Very pleased. It lightened my dark brown hair 3 shades as promised..

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2010 2:51:00 PM More reviews by niele

i read somewhere that this colour is the closest in quality to the one you get from the hairdresser (in my country), and i must agree. it is really really good, im using shade called antigua, really like this chocolate auburn or what it is colour. it doesnt damage my hair that much, smells quite nice (i like those chemical odours, cant help myself:-), colour is really nice and not so uniform, rather natural looking. it doesnt last that long, and i have that feeling that my hair tend to fall more, but im not sure if this colour is the cause. but i will definitely buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2010 8:54:00 AM More reviews by sita25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

theres a lot of good things to say about this hair color. one of the not so good things about this hair color, that costed it a lipstick, is that the formula contains ammonia. The smell is awful. But the color is fabulous. I love the packaging of the conditioner as well, very easy to use. I use 6R, whichi s light auburn. my original hair color is dark brown with deep auburn highlights. So when i apply the color, rinse, blow dry, and flat iron, i get much more noticable brighter highlights, but it still looks very natural. I get more stares from people (women and men!) when i'm working or am at school. I have to say, although it smells of ammonia, i am really addicted to the color result. This is definitely a product i'm keeping in my beauty arsenal.