December 22, 2014 | 1787 users online

Cleansers - Spectro - Spectro Jel Cleanser for Blemish-Prone Skin (Fragrance Free)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2009 10:29:00 AM More reviews by dpenn

This review is for the Spectro Jel in the purple bottle.

I tend to go back and forth between this and Cetaphil. I find it cleanses a bit more thoroughly than Cetaphil, but I honestly really hate the smell. I know it doesn't contain any SD alcohol, but it smells just like it. Of course, the smell doesn't linger once it's rinsed off, so it's not a huge deal.

The consistency is similar to Cetaphil, but more gel-like (no kidding). I haven't tried Spectro Derm yet, but have read it's more moisturizing. I may try it for the drier winter months.

I paid $9 CDN for this on sale, so the price is right (500ml). Highly recommended if you want a no-frills cleanser that's extremely gentle.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2009 6:48:00 PM More reviews by WanderingStars

This is definitely my HG of cleansers! Afters years and years of horrible skin and breakouts, I finally got my hands on this stuff a couple of years ago, and my skin has never been the same since (in a good way!). I use this morning and night, followed by a gentle toner (I prefer Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Toner) and a BHA liquid. My skin has never been better. Not to say that I never get zits anymore, but it's really just the odd one here and there, as opposed to before when I counted it as a good day when I had less than ten zits on my face at one time!

P.S.- to the other reviewers complaining that this doesn't remove make-up-- no, it doesn't, and it's not supposed to! All I do at night is use some gentle baby-wipes to remove my make-up (may sound weird but they're very gentle, do the trick, and are cheap!) plus some eye make-up remover for mascara and such, then proceed to use the Spectro Jel to wash my face. Works like a charm!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2009 9:04:00 PM More reviews by pishtosh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I initially tried this years ago, because it was supposed to be really gentle and was recommended often for acne-prone skin, and that's what I had. But it made my skin feel really filmy and yucky, and removed NO makeup whatsoever, so I quit using it.

This past week, something made my skin really angry; just redder than usual, kind of sore, unhappy. I felt sorry for it. I stopped in at SDM on the way home to peruse the skin care aisle, but every cleanser I found with the word "gentle" in the name seemed anything but. Lots of them had really strong scents, or alcohol in them. Begrudgingly, I bought Spectro again. And my skin loves it.

I'm guessing it's because I was a lot younger when I first tried this; 17 or so, and now I'm almost 23. My skin isn't as rebellious as it was then. It needs more TLC. I use this AFTER removing makeup (it still does nothing for makeup removal) and I use a toner afterwards, and it makes my skin feel really good and comfortable. Good stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2009 5:08:00 PM More reviews by tccnj14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great cleanser. My doctor recommended that I use it a couple years ago, but I stopped using it (for some stupid reason) I used literally EVERY face cleanser there was in the store. Most of them just made my breakouts even worse, I then went back to the store and bought Spectro Jel, which was clearly, a smart decision. I love it, it has cleared up a bit of my blotchy skin, and it's helped my breakouts. It also doesn't irritate my SUPER sensitive skin. It isn't like a miracle cleanser, but it really helps. It doesn't work over night or anything, I've been using it around 2 weeks, but I'm still happy I bought it again!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2009 11:45:00 PM More reviews by dyanp989

I think I have found my HG! Based on the reviews here, I decided to give this a shot a month ago ... understanding that it smells weird and doesn't remove makeup, I kept my cetaphil (which works great, but dries me out). I use this alone in the morning and after my cetaphil at night. My skin has never been so soft and healthy looking. My skin is less oily during the day and not nearly as cranky as it has been ...

Thanks MUA!

UPDATE: As the seasons changed, this does not work so well for me, taking off 2 lippies ...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2009 11:14:00 PM More reviews by grouchie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I first gotthis as a sample w/ my boyfriend's Spectro Jel (he uses the Combination Skin kind with the Orange on the bottle). I love it, much better then Cetaphil & Reversa 3 in 1 Mild Gel Cleanser.

COST: It's cheap for the amount that you get & the amount that's used.

METHOD: That being said I do use a makeup remover first at night if I have lots of makeup on, and on my eyes always (I use waterproof mascara). I use a pump of this on dry skin (or after the m/u remover), massage in, then wash of with a wet face cloth or a scrubby thing I have laying around. I've used it w/o water in a pinch (camping), just wiping it off w/ a cosmetic cotton pad & it's been great as well!

OVERALL: It gets rid of surface debris, I haven't broken out & it doesn't dry out my finicky skin!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2009 10:30:00 PM More reviews by brandsjunkie

when i first starting using this product i thought it smelt kinda weird. i guess that's the smell of it when there is no fragrance? but umm after using it for a few months now i'm used to it. i use this cleanser daily and it helps even out my skin tone. i have really sensitive and break out at least once a month. this product has definitely helped my skin. it's now less red, overall looking more healthy. i'll probably buy it again in a few months. i like to switch in between cleansers.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2009 6:47:00 PM More reviews by lian_williams44

DO NOT BUY THIS TO REMOVE MAKEUP! if you want to use this twice daily you've got be somone who either uses a different product for makeup removal or someone who does not wear makeup at all. That said, I wear makeup everyday so i use a different cleanser at night. in the morning i use this. it definitely does not lather at all, but it does moisturize. idk what happened to my skin but for a while it was very very dry and itchy so i bought this in hopes it would bring some relief to my newly-sensitve skin and it has! *cheers* like other reviewers have said, give it about a month and you'll feel the difference in your skin-mine has become more soft, moisturized and radiant and you feel better b/c the list of ingredients in this cleanser is a very short one so you're not putting any harsh chemicals on your skin. i would compare this cleanser to cetaphil, but better!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2009 12:06:00 PM More reviews by missy24680

ordered this based on MUA reviews, wanted something simple and effective...this did not remove any makeup oil or residue, it definately did not give me the clean feeling, very dissapointed...maybe im just a lather type of gal...this def does not lather up

rated 2 of 5 on 2/11/2009 3:05:00 AM More reviews by squeex

I was so excited to try this, because of the rave reviews. I ran out to Superstore and bought a 500ml bottle for $11.50--cheap! When I got home, I slathered this on my face and struggled to get all my makeup off. After I rinsed my face, it turned all itchy and red. I will not be buying this again.