November 23, 2014 | 1725 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 5:16:00 PM More reviews by taralynn36

Literally, where have you been all my life?? I bought this after my stylist recommended me to get a protein treatment. I looked at all the different ones at Sally's and then came home to MUA. I picked this up after reading the stellar reviews. I have to say this product meets all my expectations and then some.

I have very fine shoulder length medium blonde hair that I lighten about 1 or 2 levels. Every time I start to grow my hair out to my shoulders it starts falling out like crazy. So even when my hair was bra strap length it never really looked good because it was too thin and fine. It is amazing how well this product works after 1 treatment. My hair hardly falls out at all, either in the shower or when I comb it. It's so much stronger. I'll admit I was a little skeptical but this stuff really works. I wish I had know about it years ago. I like to use it about once a month although I did use it twice last month, once before I colored and once after. I usually blow dry for about 10 minutes but I'm hoping that once it heats up here in Vegas I can just let it bake outside instead of using the dryer.

And yes, it is a little stinky (the rep at Sally's even warned me) but it's not as bad as I expected and it wears off quickly. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2011 3:18:00 AM More reviews by laurentate

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ohmygod where has this stuff been?! I'd never heard of it until MUAs hair board. I immediately ran into my closest Sally's and bought two sample packs - my hair is really long and I was worried I wouldn't have enough. I reread all the really helpful reviews right before and prepared for the worst smell of my life. Honestly, I wasn't that grossed out. Dont get mr wrong, it's rancid. But it didn't bother me that badly. Anyways, I'm glad I bought two. I mixed them up and put them in a bowl. I added some water because I was still concerned. So I saturated my hair and ended up putting it up on my head. WRONG MOVE. Halfway through drying it fell. I was petrified and almost started crying thinking I had broken off my hair at chin length. Nevertheless, it was fine thank god. It took a good hour and half to dry with my blowdryer. I thought my arm was gonna fall off. I left it on another 30 minutes after my arm lost feeling and went and hung outside, had a cigarette (I know, I know). I went inside and hopped in the shower. I just chilled under the water for about three minutes. Seriously. I was still freaking out about it falling. I rinsed for a good 4-5 minutes and applied all the conditioner and mixed in some of my Ion extreme moisture creme (adore it) because I felt the conditioner in the packs weren't moisturizing enough. After another 5 minutes, I rinsed and hopped out. After all that, there was no way I was touching my dryer or flatiron. It wasn't incredibly softer, shinier, or anything, but I've noticed it's stronger, healthier looking and I'm shedding a lot less (not so much broken pieces, I'm still losing whole hairs though).

I've bought the big bottle from Sally's since and since they had a special, I went ahead and bought the conditioner. It'll help my ion last longer. It says to use every 6 weeks, and im counting down till I can use it again. It's gotten better every time. Yes, it's expensive ($30 roughly for both with coupons and specials and my beauty card) but it'll last forever. Yes, it's a PITA to do, but it works. It does everything it promises.
I've learned that with long hair it's best if you just half it and do each side just hanging flat. It's pretty gross when it gets all over you (so sticky) and your bathroom, but it's a small compromise. Just make it a beauty day.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2011 8:45:00 PM More reviews by Kgilks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been bleaching my hair for 11 years now. I've been trying to grow out my hair for my wedding, but it kept breaking and would not grow! Finally I came across this product and was amazed at how soft my hair was after. I could actually run my fingers through my hair! I just followed the directions on the bottle and used a blow dryer for about 30 minutes.
I highly recommend this product!
I cannot wait to grow my hair even longer for the wedding!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2011 2:55:00 PM More reviews by fkngabi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using aphogee 2 step treatment on and off for the past year. I have to say this product has improved my hair tremendously. For reference I have naturally brown hair that's thin and there's not a lot of it. I've been putting my hair through horrendous damage for the past 4 years or so. I mean within that time period I've went from black to blonde at least 5 times, and bleach already damages your hair, but imagine the damage it did when I kept changing my hair color every few months. I also abused my hair by straightening it daily, and wearing fusion extensions 2 years ago that practically ripped out half of my hair. So finally I came across MUA and decided to do something to bring my fried hair to life. I saw all the reviews regarding the aphogee 2 step treatment and read a very helpful notepad by katdan here's the link: http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/katdan
So basically I limitedly purchased this at Sallys and have been using it since then. This is exactly what I do:
1. I use coconut oil as a pre-treatment, I saturate my dry hair and massage some onto the scalp also. I leave this on over night but I'm sure 30-60 minutes would work fine.
2.Next I clarify my hair using the V05 kiwi lime squeeze shampoo, since I heard protein works better on clean, product free hair and my hair tends to get a lot of buildup.
3.I apply the aphogee 2 step treatment all through my towel dried hair and use a wide tooth comb to distribute it evenly. I make sure to work quickly, since it does dry fast.
4. Next I blow dry my hair for about 30-40 minutes on high heat, low fan. I know 30 minutes of blow drying is hard but I noticed it works better the longer you apply heat to it since protein sticks to your hair when heat is used.
5. I leave it on an additional 30 minutes, and once my hair is fully hard I rinse it out.
6.I apply the balancing moisturizer, cover my head with a shower cap, leave that on for about an hour and apply heat also.
7. I rinse everything out, apply morrocon oil and let my hair air dry.

I know this is a lot of steps and very time consuming, but I only do this once every 6 weeks, so I treat this as spa day(: I fully recommend this for anyone with extremely damaged hair, this is truly a hair saver, and if you're skeptical just try out the sample packet which costs less than 4 $ at sallys.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2011 2:34:00 AM More reviews by ProductJunkey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Why I never tried this...I don't know... I've tried so many products at Sally's---I can spend hours in that store!! Well, I guess I'll never learn, because I started out by coloring my roots, then decided they were too brassy, then started coloring my hair again and again. The absolute worst thing I did was apply L'oreal Hair Color Remover to get rid of a green tinged ashy color I had after trying to reverse the brassiness. I've used the OOPS color remover before, thinking the L'oreal was the same- well it wasn't- it was basically straight up bleach that left me with fried out yellow-orange hair! NEVER use that stuff!!! It's evil.
Anyway, once I got the color back to a normal shade, I used this --after reading the reviews- went to Sally's and bought the big bottle-- BTW- the pink bottle step 2 is free with the Sally's coupon for the month of March, so I thought that would be a better deal...I followed the directions, however I didn't wash my hair- I just spritzed it with a bit of water to get it damp- then followed the directions. I dried it with my hairdryer, then let it sit for about two hours. Yes this stuff does have an offensive smell- someone said "cat pee"-- yeah, that's right on. Once it dries, the smell goes away, then comes back once you rinse. I can deal with it, though. I did what the other poster wrote about getting in the bath and putting your head back in the water. I was terrified of my hair perhaps snapping off if I tried rinsing in the shower. I hardly have any hair to begin with! I just didn't want to touch it at all. That worked really well. I applied step two and then rinsed and let my hair dry naturally. I could tell my hair felt stronger and I could actually run my fingers through it- before it was like ratty mush. Now, it's a few days later and my hair looks and feels pretty much back to normal. I still have some fried ends that I think I will go in and get trimmed, but I'm so happy with this product. I think I will do another treatment in about a week. I've tried Nexxus Emergencee and this is sooo much better overall. Just when you think "you've really done it this time" with your hair-- go try this. You will forgive yourself.

Edited to Add: I know the directions suggest to use this every six weeks-- I decided to give myself another treatment after only two weeks.
Here's my advice--*wait at least six weeks*-- I think my hair had protein overload and it became dry for about a week after I did that second treatment.
It's okay again. now. Just too much protein is not a good thing!
I recently purchased a *bonnet style* hairdryer. The brand is Carel. I've seen them at Sally beauty supply for about $50.00. I lucked out and found one that was like new at Goodwill for $5.00. This is a great investment if you do a lot of coloring/bleaching. It works great with this treatment. It allows you to heat your hair much hotter and more evenly than when you use a hand held dryer, plus you can sit at the computer or do your nails while it's on. If it gets too hot, then I will turn it off for a few minutes, then turn it on again. It also is great for just doing deep conditioning treatments. I try to do this on a weekly basis.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2011 1:48:00 PM More reviews by AlexandriaAlessia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I brought this after seeing so many glowing reviews on this site. I am a white female with hair in need of some intense tlc,my natural hair is a mousy blonde colour and therefore bleach has always been my favourite for enabling me to become ultra blonde,ultra easy, unfortunately as im sure you know ,hair and bleach are not the best of friends when they meet each other too frequently and in my case i think i overdid it a little bit especially during the college years! Prior to using this i had been using L'oreal Nutrigloss mask twice a week to fix my hair but it got to a point when my locks needed a little bit more. I washed with Klorane organic shampoo with Oatmilk and blot dried my hair,i combed from root to tip and then coated with the protein treatment,i blow dried with a 2000w hair dryer on a medium heat for around 15 minutes. My hair after this process was in very delicate state,very hard and crunchy but this was expected. I then gentley washed the treatment from my hair and lightly shampoo again. I then used the balancing moisturiser which made my hair feel like silk,to bypass the strong scent of the protein treatment i applied Bumble & Bumble Masque De Coco and left it on for 30 mins to give a nice smell. (I would recommend a whole afternoon for the whole process in order to get your hair in tip top condition,this is not one of those quick fixes it takes a little bit of time!) I then blow dried again and already i felt a huge difference in the quality of my hair,it felt strong and not poufy. I then straightened with ghds and my hair was straight and silky without that "damaged look" for the first time in a long time. I am really happy with the results and would highly recommend,i can't wait to use this again!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2011 10:06:00 PM More reviews by chickenlittle25

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff! I bleached my own hair for years and since I couldn't see the back of my head I tended to overlap a LOT to avoid dark patches (I also had a tendency to let my roots grow to about an inch, and I overlapped out to 3-4 inches every time I bleached) Sometimes I would just do my whole head over because my hair would start looking yellow (I was a lot younger and dumber) So as you can imagine my ends were totally fried.

I got this stuff after reading about it on a long hair forum and it completely changed my hair. Before I used it my hair would get to bra length in the back and then it would break off as fast as it grew. The ends looked awful and I had to condition in the shower and then put on conditioners and smoothing glosses just so that the ends wouldn't snarl from running a comb through it. Usually any brushing or combing resulted in little bits between 1/2" to 2" long breaking off everywhere. I carried a mini lint roller with me because if I had to do a little touch up brushing or combing I knew there would be bits of hair all over my clothing. After using this product the breakage decreased dramatically. I still got a lot of split ends, but with what I put my hair through, I can't expect that any product would totally reverse the damage. People at work actually noticed that my hair looked a lot healthier. My ends didn't tangle nearly as easily and my hair wasn't so frizzy at the ends. After a few months of using it every 6 weeks or so my hair looked 110% better.

The downsides to this product are the smell. It definitely smells eggy. I don't think it smells like rotten eggs, but to me it smells like eggs with dirt mixed in. It's not overbearing, but it's definitely an odor. For me it stays in my hair for about 2 days (not all that noticeable the 2nd day, but still there). The other downside is the bottle. They should either package it in a bottle with a flip up tip so you can squirt it where you need it, or perhaps a spray bottle. My method has been to get a cheap spray bottle, and mix a little water into the first step treatment (it tends to clog the nozzle on its own) and just spray my head and comb through. That has worked well for me.

The conditioner is nice. The odor is ok, and it's not overpowering.

The best way to use this is to give yourself a "spa day" when you don't have to be around people because you will be self conscious about how your hair smells. Get some stuff to give yourself a pedicure, maybe a nice smelling face masque, go all out. I have gone out with friends the same day of a treatment and asked them if they could smell my hair, and only one of them smelled something "earthy" from a typical distance you would sit from your friends at a restaurant. They all said smelled it when they got really close (like went up and sniffed my hair close). The smell the second day isn't going to be noticed by people unless they are really invading your space.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by ThisGirl0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Can't believe I haven't written a review for this yet. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this product and cannot emphasize that enough! Yes, it is expensive but worth every single penny and the fact that it lasts forever since this product only needs to be used about once every 6 weeks or so... I use it once a month after processing my hair. I get the protein treatment in a 16oz bottle for about $21 and the Balancing Moisturizer for about $6, so total of $27. It more than pays for it self because I imagine a treatment like this would cost a fortune at a salon.

Firstly, I have very thick hair, as in a lot of it, and it's bleached to nearly platinum. I bleach my roots and tone if about once a month or so. My hair can get extremely dry and unruly a couple of days after I wash it... and I only wash it a couple of times a week because it's such a pain to dry and style.
Well, recently I decided to change my hair color and totally messed things up. I had to remove the color and rebleach my already overprocessed dry hair twice in order to get all the nasty color out. After using this stuff my hair is back to normal as if I never did anything bad to it.
This product is amazing! I have never used anything that actually performs as well as it claims. I use it according to directions; wash hair (with any shampoo), towel dry and apply this product all over to saturate hair. Then I sit under my hardhat dryer for about 10-15 minutes till my hair is dry and hard. Then rinse and apply the Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer, rinse, and I am done.

The protein treatment itself stinks - bad. It looks and smells like beaten eggs that have gone bad. I do not like the fact that it comes in a big bottle without a spray pump or some type of a nozzle that would dispense the product better. You have to apply this stuff to hair and saturate it well, which is very hard to do with a basic shampoo bottle filled with a very runny product (pretty much like water). They need to work on that for sure. I just pour some out into my hair, apply with my fingers a bunch of times till my hair is saturated and comb it through with a widetooth comb. You do need to be careful when applying this stuff because it is runny and sticky. Anything it spills on will turn hard and crusty.

The Balancing Moisturizer is okay. I don't like that it smells like (cheap) cologne for men. Thankfully the scent doesn't linger after it is rinsed. They could have also put this product in a bigger bottle because for someone like me with thick hair I need to use a lot of it. I typically just mix this with my regular conditioner and apply to hair to condition my hair really well.

This product is magic. It makes my hair sooo smooth, sleek, and the strands actually feel thicker and stronger. Also, after using this product I can literally fry my hair with straightening and curling irons while experiencing very minimal damage. It is simply amazing because before this I was not able to use a hair straightener or a curling iron more then like once a month because the damage was so bad. Now I use heat on my hair almost every single day and the damage is very minimal.

I LOVE this and will continue to repurchase for life. This product saved my hair. Cannot say enough good things about it, recommend it to everyone who color treats, bleaches, or styles their hair excessively.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2011 4:31:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Aphogee literally saved my hair about a year ago and I just picked it up again. I decided to go bleach blonde last year from auburn and my hair was pretty damaged. Breaking off, split ends, no shine, no body, mushy. After 3 treaments of this over the course of three month, my hair was mostly restored. I say mostly because I went back to being a redhead. My hair is still porous in some places but damage like that can take a very long time to mend.

With this treatment, you first use a shampoo for damaged hair first, blot dry, and then comb this through. I use a dryer on this until it is hard and then let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse carefully in the shower. Don't agitate your hair, just let the water rinse it away. I then follow with the conditioner and leave that on for 15 minutes or more. You should be able to immediately know a difference. I do recommend for those with very damaged hair to buy the large sized bottle and conditioner and repeat this every 4-6 weeks. With deep conditioning treatments weekly. It will save your hair and keep you from having to cut it off. I just picked up the Roux Porosity shampoo/Conditioner and hope that furthers my goal of achieving long beautiful, healthy hair.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 6:48:00 PM More reviews by tightkitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

I have been using this once for about 2 years now. At first I did do it once a month for a while but after this and a few other changes got my hair got back into better condition I have tapered it off to every two months. This product has transformed my hair!!!! I am bi racial and I could never get my hair below my shoulders it would always shed break off ect. I stopped getting relaxers,doing this treatment,and mini trims every 8 wks and my hair is now down to about to the back of my bra no kidding.Yeah the girl that has never had hair past my shoulders even during pregnancy. My hair has never been so long in my life. I would recommend this to ANYONE that has had ANY kind of chemical service EVER done on their hair and esp to bi racial and or African American females that have a problem with their hair growing. I once fell asleep with the conditioner in my hair and was afraid that the alcohol would maybe dry it out but it turned out even better then it has before.It was sooo soft. I do recommend this used properly on conjunction with the conditioner suggested since I have used it with other conditioners when I ran out and I can say it does give you a more silky finish when used with their suggest conditioner. This is called a two-step for a reason people.This is one of my top products in my bathroom like seriously. Ladies also if you bleach/highlight your hair you need this. When blow drying this on my hair it does get really hard like I used a lot of mouse and my hair is scrunched. I blow dry it until it is dry do not let this air dry I did that once and thats a different story. Be careful when you rinse since your hair is so hard. But it's no big deal there is ladies complaining about that its seriously no big deal for what this does to your hair if used properly. So do it and toughen up.It is a litlle messy just be sure to have a towel handy and it's a little smell,it smells like soy sauce,but it's sooooooooo worth it.
EDIT...still useing this every two months with wonderful results. I can't stop raving about this product also make sure you rinse your hair VERY good for a while. If all of the product is not rinsed out you will get unmanageable hair and rough spots where the product remained. I just wanted to add that tip I feel thats very important and didnt want to leave that out I'm sure it will help a anyone who might have had a bad experiance and didnt know why.