July 29, 2014 | 1887 users online

Hair Treatments - Aphogee - Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by ThisGirl0

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Can't believe I haven't written a review for this yet. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this product and cannot emphasize that enough! Yes, it is expensive but worth every single penny and the fact that it lasts forever since this product only needs to be used about once every 6 weeks or so... I use it once a month after processing my hair. I get the protein treatment in a 16oz bottle for about $21 and the Balancing Moisturizer for about $6, so total of $27. It more than pays for it self because I imagine a treatment like this would cost a fortune at a salon.

Firstly, I have very thick hair, as in a lot of it, and it's bleached to nearly platinum. I bleach my roots and tone if about once a month or so. My hair can get extremely dry and unruly a couple of days after I wash it... and I only wash it a couple of times a week because it's such a pain to dry and style.
Well, recently I decided to change my hair color and totally messed things up. I had to remove the color and rebleach my already overprocessed dry hair twice in order to get all the nasty color out. After using this stuff my hair is back to normal as if I never did anything bad to it.
This product is amazing! I have never used anything that actually performs as well as it claims. I use it according to directions; wash hair (with any shampoo), towel dry and apply this product all over to saturate hair. Then I sit under my hardhat dryer for about 10-15 minutes till my hair is dry and hard. Then rinse and apply the Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer, rinse, and I am done.

The protein treatment itself stinks - bad. It looks and smells like beaten eggs that have gone bad. I do not like the fact that it comes in a big bottle without a spray pump or some type of a nozzle that would dispense the product better. You have to apply this stuff to hair and saturate it well, which is very hard to do with a basic shampoo bottle filled with a very runny product (pretty much like water). They need to work on that for sure. I just pour some out into my hair, apply with my fingers a bunch of times till my hair is saturated and comb it through with a widetooth comb. You do need to be careful when applying this stuff because it is runny and sticky. Anything it spills on will turn hard and crusty.

The Balancing Moisturizer is okay. I don't like that it smells like (cheap) cologne for men. Thankfully the scent doesn't linger after it is rinsed. They could have also put this product in a bigger bottle because for someone like me with thick hair I need to use a lot of it. I typically just mix this with my regular conditioner and apply to hair to condition my hair really well.

This product is magic. It makes my hair sooo smooth, sleek, and the strands actually feel thicker and stronger. Also, after using this product I can literally fry my hair with straightening and curling irons while experiencing very minimal damage. It is simply amazing because before this I was not able to use a hair straightener or a curling iron more then like once a month because the damage was so bad. Now I use heat on my hair almost every single day and the damage is very minimal.

I LOVE this and will continue to repurchase for life. This product saved my hair. Cannot say enough good things about it, recommend it to everyone who color treats, bleaches, or styles their hair excessively.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2011 4:31:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Aphogee literally saved my hair about a year ago and I just picked it up again. I decided to go bleach blonde last year from auburn and my hair was pretty damaged. Breaking off, split ends, no shine, no body, mushy. After 3 treaments of this over the course of three month, my hair was mostly restored. I say mostly because I went back to being a redhead. My hair is still porous in some places but damage like that can take a very long time to mend.

With this treatment, you first use a shampoo for damaged hair first, blot dry, and then comb this through. I use a dryer on this until it is hard and then let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse carefully in the shower. Don't agitate your hair, just let the water rinse it away. I then follow with the conditioner and leave that on for 15 minutes or more. You should be able to immediately know a difference. I do recommend for those with very damaged hair to buy the large sized bottle and conditioner and repeat this every 4-6 weeks. With deep conditioning treatments weekly. It will save your hair and keep you from having to cut it off. I just picked up the Roux Porosity shampoo/Conditioner and hope that furthers my goal of achieving long beautiful, healthy hair.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 6:48:00 PM More reviews by tightkitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Grey

I have been using this once for about 2 years now. At first I did do it once a month for a while but after this and a few other changes got my hair got back into better condition I have tapered it off to every two months. This product has transformed my hair!!!! I am bi racial and I could never get my hair below my shoulders it would always shed break off ect. I stopped getting relaxers,doing this treatment,and mini trims every 8 wks and my hair is now down to about to the back of my bra no kidding.Yeah the girl that has never had hair past my shoulders even during pregnancy. My hair has never been so long in my life. I would recommend this to ANYONE that has had ANY kind of chemical service EVER done on their hair and esp to bi racial and or African American females that have a problem with their hair growing. I once fell asleep with the conditioner in my hair and was afraid that the alcohol would maybe dry it out but it turned out even better then it has before.It was sooo soft. I do recommend this used properly on conjunction with the conditioner suggested since I have used it with other conditioners when I ran out and I can say it does give you a more silky finish when used with their suggest conditioner. This is called a two-step for a reason people.This is one of my top products in my bathroom like seriously. Ladies also if you bleach/highlight your hair you need this. When blow drying this on my hair it does get really hard like I used a lot of mouse and my hair is scrunched. I blow dry it until it is dry do not let this air dry I did that once and thats a different story. Be careful when you rinse since your hair is so hard. But it's no big deal there is ladies complaining about that its seriously no big deal for what this does to your hair if used properly. So do it and toughen up.It is a litlle messy just be sure to have a towel handy and it's a little smell,it smells like soy sauce,but it's sooooooooo worth it.
EDIT...still useing this every two months with wonderful results. I can't stop raving about this product also make sure you rinse your hair VERY good for a while. If all of the product is not rinsed out you will get unmanageable hair and rough spots where the product remained. I just wanted to add that tip I feel thats very important and didnt want to leave that out I'm sure it will help a anyone who might have had a bad experiance and didnt know why.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 3:28:00 PM More reviews by hmkramer

Dear Aphogee, why did I wait so long to try you? It was a mistake. Please forgive me.

Okay --- I didn't try this stuff forever because reviews kept saying it wasn't helpful for dry hair and my long highlighted hair tends to be dry. Also, unlike many reviewers, I didn't suffer any major hair trauma, was not losing hair by the fist full, etc. But I have a split end problem and my hair is prone to frizz.

So I finally tried this stuff and the difference in my hair, two days after treatment, is amazing. For me, the two biggest benefits are that my hair is MUCH shinier, and that my highlights and color look much better. They look like I do when I leave the salon, even though the last time I had them done was over a month ago. Yes, it smells awful and is a mess. But will I do it again in 6 weeks? YES!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2010 6:38:00 AM More reviews by Chynnac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

AMAZING!!! I have relaxed hair and I noticed some what I took as escessive shedding and my normally thick and full hair becoming weak and light. I was afraid to comb my hair I really considered choping if off for a moment, so I had my ends trimmed thinking it would help, nope same results. I sa this in Sally's and was like WTH why not? OMG! I can npt believe how much thicker, fuller and healther my hair looks and feels. I cant imagine using this more than once every other month as this product along with most of their products are full of protein. The smell didn't bother me, but it was unpleasant. I would 150% do this again and will before I relax.

Edit: it has made my hair thicker, didn't stop all my shedding though.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2010 4:01:00 PM More reviews by maggiemm

Used the Aphogee treatment for the first time a few days ago.
I bought the single use two-step packet, which contained just barely enough product for my shoulder-length hair. I shampooed my hair, combed through and let dry a bit, and then sectioned it & applied the treatment. The smell – well, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be after reading all the reviews here. The main issue was the speed at which it dried - very, very fast – after I applied it to all my hair I started to comb through with a wide toothed comb as the instructions tell you to do, but stopped as it was starting to harden already and I would have broken my hair. Plus my eyeglasses were glued into my hair! I used a blowdryer with a diffuser head to finish drying which took only minutes. After waiting 30 minutes I stood under the shower (complete with glasses!) until my hair was soft enough to touch again. Applied the moisturizer – again, there was just barely enough in the packet, could have used more. Rinse out, blow dry.
Result? My hair was soft and felt good but there were still broken ends showing. This could be because I did not have enough product or time to make sure it was well distributed, so next time I will buy the bottle as I found the packet skimpy, comb through a section immediately after application, and apply using an old hair dye bottle rather than working it into sections with my fingers.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2010 5:48:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, it works. My hair is softer and looks fuller - especially at the ends. But a really good conditioner or even Kerastase Nectar Thermique gets similar results. And it truly does smell awful - like rotten fruit and vinegar mixed. I think the ends look much less fried than before but for the inconvenience I'd rather use either Neutral Protein Filler (one step, at Sally's), or a good deep conditioner. I should say my hair wasn't overly damaged like some who've reviewed this - just highlighted and regular heat styling/flat ironing, so it felt kind of stiff and a little crispy.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2010 3:07:00 PM More reviews by lpta08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I purchased Aphogee two-step protein treatment yesterday when I went to my local beauty supply store and consulted one of the girls at the counter about what I could do for my very dry, breaking-off, bleached hair. They recommended Aphogee. I bought the single-use packet (but only used about half since my hair is short). I was a little nervous until I read all the great reviews here. I started off by washing my hair then towel blotting it. Then I applied the step one treatment (yes it stinks!! but not as bad as I expected). Used a wide tooth comb to distribute throughout my hair. Used a hand-dryer on the medium setting for about 3 minutes until my hair was hard. Let sit in my hair for 20 minutes after applying. My hair was hard as a rock and I was a little afraid to move since so many people have said on here 'don't touch it'. I rinsed with warm water being careful not to touch it too much. Then applied step 2 for about 5-7 minutes. I could already tell a difference after I rinsed step 2 out. For one, my hair was not coming out in handfuls like it had been when I rinsed the conditioner out. It just feels different.
After I blow dried it and styled, I can't really see a dramatic difference, but the ends feels less damaged and the little pieces around my face that looked fried look heatlhy now. I've also read it takes a few days to fully see a difference so I'm excited to see how it looks in a few days!
I'll definitely use this product again!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2010 4:54:00 PM More reviews by parrottheadmd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

While my hair is not damaged from coloring/bleaching, it is extra fine and fragile and begins to break off badly after one use of a flat or curling iron even when coated with heat protective spray. My splits travel far up the hair shaft which makes them difficult to nip in the bud with a trim and they also tend to fray into many splits on one strand of hair. Enter Aphogee. This treatment, when used every six weeks, keeps my hair strong and able to withstand regular heat styling. I emphasize using it every six weeks because my hair will start to break down again if I miss my aphogee treatment by more than a couple weeks due to the protein restructuring properties wearing off. Because my hair is so naturally fragile, I really benefit from using the treatment on a regular, long term basis. My hair is just not strong without it. It really is amazing the difference it has made in my hair. I like to use aphogee just before going in for a trim because I can see that it is doing something when I don't have a mess of split ends within a week. It really means something to me when I can SEE results, not just feel them. I also love how aphogee helps my demi permanent color stay in my hair for much longer than normal and helps it fade out without it turning extra brassy, another annoying trait about my hair. Overall aphogee is a must for me, every six weeks! It makes my hair strong and my ends are thicker looking and not as wispy from broken ends. My hair can take regular heat styling with no problem, when supplemented with a good everyday heat protectant. I do still trim off splits when I see them but the reduction in the number of splits I have is dramatic. My hair used to be about 75% split ends to 25% healthy ends and Aphogee has switched those numbers for me.

When I use aphogee I begin with a moisturizing shampoo to keep tangles to a minimum. Next I blot my hair with a towel and very carefully comb out with a wide tooth comb. I apply the Aphogee to my hair (hair length is to middle of back) and wind it around my head like a wrap making sure that the hair is in place and will not move once heat is applied. Apply heat for about 10 minutes and then I let it sit on my head for another half hour to let it cool off and finish hardening. Rinse gently and apply conditioner. Let conditioner sit in hair for 30 mins. Rinse. Beautiful hair! continued >>

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2010 9:03:00 AM More reviews by Shakeitdontbreakit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

There is nothing- NOTHING more sexy that sitting across from your date at a candlelit dinner watching him watching you as your new blonde hair falls out of your head and onto your decollete.
However, I am sexy enough. So I decided to try to put an end to this lest there be men chasing after me in the streets.
I went straight to the source, MUA. Though you never let me down, I must admit that after reading the accolades for this product I was sceptical. "These miracles just don't happen to me." I thought woefully as I read rave after rave.
But they did.

My hair has been dyed, fried and laid to the side. What was once a black glossy mane is now a bright light blonde "pouf" reminiscent of cotton candy in texture. I love it. Except the afore mentioned falling out of my scalp. Oh... and the fact that it looked... well.. fried.

I only used the protein step and followed up with a Nexxus moisturizer (couldn't find the Aphogee conditioner intended for use after this.).

I put it on (made a huge mess but that's how I do) and just kind of piled my now mid-neck length hair on my head. I used a blow dryer on hot/medium. Took about 15 minutes to get hard (insert stupid dirty joke here). Washed it out, applied the Nexxus, and actually combed that through and left it in until later in the day.

My hair is amazingly improved. It is glossy (as glossy as bleached blonde dark brown/black hair can be) and feels like I can run my fingers through it without taking a good percentage of it with me!

In regard to the scent (or odor) - this smells like overripe fruit. Not great but I've put up with worse for less.

Thank you MUA and if you're thinking about trying this -do!

35 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No