TheBalm BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

4.2

Aqua, Ethylhexyl Methoxcinnamate, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Myristate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer/Isohexadecane/Polysorbate 60, Styrene/Dvb Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Dehydroacetate [+/- Ci 77891, Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499]

on 9/21/2011 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Scooped this up at TJ Maxx. Great price for higher end brand cosmetic.

Nice slip for application. It is a TM and coverage is appropriate for TM. Has good staying power.

Bought light to medium which is a good match for my skin. Love TJ Maxx for TheBalm.

on 9/14/2011 6:22:00 AM

I bought this because I wanted a paraben free alternative to my Laura Mercier Oil free TM. Though I will still use that if I have anything important to go to. While for me nothing is (better) than LM this stuff is pretty damn good!

I got It in light and I use nude or bisque in LM. I love the texture and feel of this TM.
Its light weight and dewy
Its a pretty good price as well
I bought mine from Sephora in the USA and it has no castor oil or paraben.
I will let you know if anything changes with this as I am trying out a few new ones.

on 9/11/2011 7:41:00 PM

I just keep coming back to this. It is thick enough to be a foundation, moisturising enough to be a moisturiser and has enough sunscreen for our harsh Australian sun. I use "light" and the colour is really nice on my porcelain skin. I would say that this is a yellow based foundation and is very flattering. It is buildable, but is never cakey. The finish on my skin is satin. I also use the concealer from The Balm. Excellent products!

on 9/4/2011 9:34:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

THIS IS A GOOD TINTED MOISTURIZER I have two tinted moisturizer, one is the bobbi brown, which is YELLOW.
and this! I have this in light medium and it's really good,quite sheer ( good for me cause i don't need coverage) and it's not sticky and it's just good! light coverage, non sticky, non irratating and CHEAP WAYYYY cheaper then the bobbi rbwon one!

on 8/25/2011 11:57:00 PM

This is the best tinted moisturizer I have used so far. It does not go on streaky like the LM ones and is very easy to apply with my fingers, which makes the application process quick, easy, and basically fool-proof. The only negative I have is the amount of coverage, which is very sheer. It is good for someone who's looking for very little coverage and something that is very lightweight. I, conversely, need something to cover my horrid hyperpigmentation! I will definitely come back for this one after a few microdermabrasions to get rid of my red spots. It did not make me break out, cause me to be oily, or dry/flake up.

on 8/14/2011 6:45:00 PM

I'm extremely picky about makeup-- I refuse to wear anything that doesn't seamlessly disappear into my skin and look completely natural. With that said, I would give this TM a thousand stars if I could. I discovered these at my local TJ Maxx for $12.99, but even the full price ($25) is a steal for the 2+ oz size! It has a thick, creamy consistency with a silky smooth, dewy finish. Not runny, drying or greasy. Very blendable, streak-free, natural-looking medium coverage, even when applied by hand. It never flakes in dry areas or settles into fine lines, even on my dry skin. In fact, it's the only TM that I can wear without moisturizer underneath (except in the winter), but it still feels pretty lightweight. It stays looking fresh all day and won't rub off, but it's easy to remove at night. If I set it with the theBalm's Sexy Mama powder in the morning, it stays shine free until evening; otherwise it gets shiny by the afternoon. It has a sturdy, hygienic squeeze tube that doesn't leak. It's formulated with no parabens, mineral oil, pthalates, artificial fragrances or shimmer, so it never irritates my skin. The shades tend to run a bit dark...the light shade is just light enough for my light olive skin (though I did use the light/medium shade in the summer when I was tanner). The shades also have a very neutral undertone to them. The one bummer is that the SPF is a little low, and chemical-based, but I just use a lightweight SPF moisturizer underneath (love Josie Maran's). Great product all in all though-- better than any other TM I've tried. I've been wearing it for months and I keep getting compliments on my skin! It won't make you feel greasy in the summer heat (even during a 5k event!) or cause breakouts, either. I hope they never discontinue this because it's my HG!

on 8/5/2011 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I got a nice big sample of this from Sephora to try. The first week was great. I was using it without setting it with powder like I do with my usual TM to see how it did as far as greasiness, and it really wasn't too bad at the end of the day. The coverage wasn't fabulous, but I don't need super coverage with TM. So the second week I put a little of my yellow Clinique mineral powder on my t-zone and...I broke out. I've been using this powder for probably a couple years at this point and it's never made me break out before, but the combo of it and this TM did it. So I moved on to another TM sample. Due to the lack of greasiness this might be good to try if you have oily skin.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Meh, this made me really oily strangely. Ugh this makes me feels like my face is sliding off! It also gives my face a very orange-y tint to it which I do not like because I do not like looking like an oompa-loompa. I think it also made me break out a bit. I really wanted this to work for me especially with all the nice reviews about, but sadly it didn't.

on 7/27/2011 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

LOVE this. I am a tinted moisturizer junkie, i always have different ones in the search of the perfect combo of light coverage, sunscreen and color. this is THE BALM ha ha. seriously this stuff is by far my favorite, you get a lot in the tube, and two little pea sized drops is enough for your whole face. not greasy, dries to a matte finish but you dont look like cake-face. i am medium toned, and have this in medium. it is a great match. loved this so much i picked up a back up which i never do! no scent, no glitter, i'd say the coverage is light but not invisible, evens your tone out. great stuff.

my tube has NO CASTOR OIL in it. ???

i'm pretty sure there are two diff versions of this, an american version and a canadian version. I'm in canada and the tube of balm shelter tinted moisturizer i bought from london drugs has:

- no castor oil
- no parabens
- 2.15 fl oz instead of 2.25 fl oz
- the words spf18 blacked out with a sharpie?

so yeah...

anyways, good product for price. I paid $24+12%HST (ugh hst... we have such high taxes) for this on sale at 25% off. $26 for about 2 fl oz is pretty good. It has pretty good coverage for tinted moisturizer and reminds me of the coverage and consistancy of Skin79 bb cream. Color selection is bad...theres a huge gap between the light and the light/medium (the reason for 1 lippie off) and I'm an NC20-25 and I use the lightest shade. Its the summer so I have a bit of a tan and the lightest shade is a bit too light for me (would probably suit NC15-20) and the light/medium is a bit too dark (prob suit NC30), but both blend in very nicely so its not very noticable.

Texture is lovely. Its creamy and thick, but not too thick and spreads out very nicely! I was surprised that a little goes a long way because usually thicker creams don't spread nicely on my skin. The finish is matte to natural on me, and almost has a slight powder finish. It looks very nice on my combo/oily skin and doesn't dry me out or make me into a greaseball. The finish is quite nice. Oil control is decent too... haven't worn it for too long but for the 4 hours I have worn it, I can say that I did not start greasing up. It lasts the full 4 hours too, not set with powder, but I will update once I wear it for longer

packaging is okay. nice sanitary squeeze tube, but I find the squeeze tube hard to store in my smaller train case styled makeup case. it doesn't fit lol. also, the cap is quite hard to open.

Overall, I would buy again, IF it was $24. I would not spend $32 because honestly, for I would rather pay $27 for the Skin79 bb cream. This is about par with that, but the skin79 bb cream has better ingredients so i prefer that slightly over this. Since skin79 is not very accessible, and this is slightly cheaper and not a whole lot different in application, shade and final result, I will repurchase this as my go to TM. Would definatly recommend getting this Canadian version (without the castor oil and parabens) if you can

Top Rated TheBalm Products